- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Summary: How Starla got her name. And why she and Topher do not get along.

Ziya- 3
Chad- 6
Kita- 5
Rider- 5
Starla- 5
Topher- 8
Alastair- 8
Kita sat up in the tree that over looked the courtyard of the palace. She watched the 3 year old princess play with her 6 year old friend, a boy who worked in the palace with his family. She was told to watch them from her master. She and her twin brother also lived in the palace as long as she could remember with two other wolf demons, which were a couple years older then them. She sat up in the tree looking around she was starting to get board when some thing caught her eye. She jerked her head towards the wall where she spotted the movement. It was gone. She stood up on the limb to try to see what it was. She scanned the courtyard then she saw a flash of rust color ears and they were heading towards the Princess. She jumped down from the tree and made a mad dash towards them. She moved as fast as she could towards them. She jumped over the hedge. Princess Ziya and the boy, Chad looked at her.

“What do you want?!” Chad asked irritated to see her. She ignored him and looked around for the intruder. The shrubs, which was across from Chad and Ziya, moved. Chad turned his attention to the shrubs too and pulled out his knife. He stood in front of the princess ready for whatever came out of the shrubs. Then it jumped out of the hedges in a blur movement and was heading right for the blonde. Kita before she knew it lunged herself at the intruder. She had no idea why she did it. She was not at all good at fighting but her body acted before her brain. She grabbed who ever it was around the waist and thrown her own body with the intruder on top of her to the ground. The intruder rolled off of her and got up into an attach position. Kita scrambled to her feet and stood ready. The intruder was a small fox demon around her age. The Fox growled at her. Her red hair long and wild she wore tattered clothes. She showed her teeth to Kita then snapped them at her and dug her long pointed nails into the ground.

‘WHAT AM I DOING?!’ Kita’s brain screamed. She was unarmed, weak and does not know how to get out of this situation. The small fox charged at Kita the only thing she could do was close her eyes, put her hands up to protect herself and wait for the blow. It never came.

“OW!” The voice of one of the wolf demon boys came. She opened her eyes to see Topher’s back. “Hey, that really hurts you know!?” He yelled at the fox that had her teeth sunk in to his arm. “C’mon, let go!” He shook her around. “If you don’t I will punch you! I’m not afraid to hit a girl!” She growled more at him. “You have till 3!”

“Kita!” She turned to her brother who had shown up with the other wolf demon, Alastair.

“1!”

“What were you thinking?” Rider asked.

“I don’t know.” She said.

“Oy, human!” Alastair yelled to Chad. “Get the princess away from here!” Chad glared at him and took the princess by the hand and went back to the palace.

“2!”

“You could have gotten hurt.” Rider said.

“I know. I wasn’t thinking.”

“2 and one fourth! You’ll get it!”

“She’s wild and dangerous. How were you going to fight her? You don’t know how to fight.”

“2 and a half!”

“I know.”

“2 and three quarters!”

“Look,” Alastair got between Kita and Rider. “She sees she did somethin’ wrong. Ya don’t need to jump down her throat about it.”

“Stay out of this. She’s my sister, my only family. I don’t need any advice from you.”

“OK” Alastair backed away.

“3! That’s it you’re going to get it!” Topher brought his fist down on the small fox’s head. It only caused her to growl at him more and sinks her teeth in farther.

“TOPHER!” Kita yelled. She ran over to him. “Stop!” She grabbed his arm.

“This runt started it.”

“She’s scared and I don’t think she understands us.”

“She doesn’t understand me hitting her!?” She let go of his arm and looked at the fox girl.

“It’s OK.” She said softly. Bringing her had closer to the girl. The fox only glared at her more.

“OW! Kita, she’s biting harder!”

“Quite.” She said to him. “We’re not going to hurt you.” She slowly again brought her hand to the top of the fox’s head. The girl growled again but it slowly subsided. She released Topher’s arm from her teeth.

“Man that hurt!” Alastair took off his bandana he had tied to his lag and used it to stop Topher’s arm from bleeding. “Look what that runt did to me!” Kita sat down to the girl’s level.

“Where did you come from?” The girl looked at her blankly. “What’s your name?” She still stared at her. “My name is Kita.” She pointed at her self then at the girl. “What’s your’s?” The girl moved her head to the other side. Then she let something that sound like a language but nothing Kita would understand.

“She won’t understand a thing you say, Kita.” The demon’s all turned to see their master approaching them. The girl tried to back away but Kita held on to her. “She’s from a tribe that does not speak with anyone out side their tribe.”

“Why is she here?” Alastair asked.

“I hard of a fox tribe from the north being wiped out. She was probably the last of them and traveled all the way here for revenge.” The girl stopped struggling because something caught her attention on Kita. She grabbed a hold of the necklace Kita was wearing.

“You like my necklace.” Kita took off the necklace and held it up to her so she could see it batter. “It’s a star.”

“S-tar.” The girl said. “Star.”

“Sounds like you like that.”

“What are we going to do with her, master?” Rider asked.

“Take her in. What should we call her?” He asked them.

“How about Biter?” Topher growled still trying to stop the bleeding.

“I think Starla would fit her.” Kita said. She put the necklace around the little fox’s neck.

“Star.” The fox said again.

“It does fit, doesn’t it.” Their master turned back to the palace. On his way back to the palace he ran into the King, who saw the whole thing.

“I see you got your self a new one eh, Malory.” The king said to him.

“So it seems I have.”

Author’s note: I made it seem that Malory is a nice guy. But he has plans for these Demons then taking them in the kindness of his heart.