- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
It’s Evan’s first time seeing Snow.
Evan- 9
Ziya- 11
“AHHHH!” Ziya woke to the young lemur boy yell. He jumped on to her bed. “ZI, ZI look! What is it? It’s all white out side!”

“White?” Ziya said sleepily. She got out of bed and went over to her window. It was white out. It had snowed during the night. “Evan, its only snow.” She looked over at the boy sitting on her bed with his head tilled to the side giving her a wondering look.

“Snow?” He said. He had only been with her since spring when she found him in the rain. He was from a warmer climate and he was able to adjusting to the dropping temperatures very well. He loved it. When fall came and the leaves were on the ground he found out he loved playing in the leaves, but there were times she and a couple of the girls would have to chase the boy down to get him to put on his warmer clothes they got him. “What is snow?”

“It is like rain but it’s frozen.” She opens the window and gets some snow off her windowsill.

“Is it dangerous?” He watched the snow in her hand carefully.

“No, come over here and look for you self.” He got up and looked at it. It was only flacks of ice.

“So it falls from the sky like rain.”

“Yes.”

“What can you do when it snows?”

“You can play in it.” Evan liked the sound of that. Then children from the orphanage down the street were out front of the convent. (There was not room at the orphanage so most the girls were sent to the convent to live and go to school.)

“What are they doing?” He asked engrossed in the kids throwing snow at one another.

“It’s a snow ball fight.”

“Looks like fun.” He said with a big smile on his face. Before Ziya could tell him to put on his winter clothes he was out the door running down the hall way to the front. Ziya rolled her eyes. She grabbed his boots, scarf, hat and his heavy coat. She also put on her warm clothes on quickly so she can get to Evan before he froze his black and white tail off.

She ran down the hall way and ran in to a few nuns.

“Sorry Sister Katherine, Sister Joseph!” She yelled over her shoulder. She finally made it out side. She found him getting into a snow ball fight with the other children in his bare feet. She sighed. “Evan!” He looked her way when he heard his name. He ended up getting nailed in the back of the head with a snow ball. “Come over here and put these on before you get sick.” He walked over to her.

It was funny she had just turned 12 and she acted like a mother or an older sister to the young boy. As he put his boots on as she wrapped the scarf around his neck and stuck his hat on. His ears stuck out of the hat. It gave him the look of one of Santa’s elves. Every one she was friends with was also orphans and all acted like family. Older girls acted like mothers or sisters. Older boy acted more like older brothers; they never acted mature enough to be father figures. They all adopted one another.

A large group of kids ran past them as they were walking out to the street. The kids were dragging sleds with them and were heading to the large hill on the end of town. Evan’s eyes got big.

“What were those they were dragging?” He asked.

“Sleds,” She said. “I think I have one.” She said as she headed to the shed where they kept their outdoor equipment.

“What are they used for?” He asked as he fallowed her. She pulled out her sled from the shad.

“They used them to go down hills.” They headed towards the hill at the end of town. They played there most of the day. Sledding down the hill over and over again. They went back to the convent, where they found the courtyard had been turned into a statuary of snowmen. One of the snowmen was of a lemur with the use of Clementine for its eyes. Evan and Ziya decided to add to the collection. When they were done building up the snowman Ziya runs inside to get things to decorate the snowman with. When they were finished with it had gotten dark out. Ziya put her arm over Evan’s shoulders.

“So how was your first snow day?” She asked him.

“It was great!” He yelled. “I never want it to end! What can we do now?”