- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

I stayed at AJ’s place for a while. It was almost like a routine. We’d have our separate lives during the day but when it came time to go to bed, I would snuggle in his bed. He was my security blanket in sorts. I felt like everything was back to normal when I could cuddle up close. He never minded the fact that we had the routine for almost 3 months.


Howie and I never did try to make amends after that night. I had barely communicated with Daniel again. I guess I put the blame on him instead of myself. He moved and taught in a different part of the state. AJ would try to talk to Howie but he would always walk away. I was too angry and emotionally damaged to want to go and talk to him. He didn’t love me anymore. How was I supposed to act? Yeah I know what you’re thinking. I’m the one that turned my own husband against me for my own wants and needs. Or maybe you’re on my side. Either way the divorce ended up messy. After almost 4 months, the divorce papers were sent to AJ’s cabin, already signed with the love of my life’s name. I signed them because I knew it was what he truly wanted now. No more tears, no more hiding. It was time for me to be a grown up again. The week after, I received a call about a meeting with lawyers. Discussing what will be given and taken forever.


When he walked through the door at the lawyer’s office, he looked as if he normally did. I knew I looked like shit. I didn’t care.

“Now Mr. Dorough has asked for certain things to be returned, Ms. Foster.”

“Like what in particular? I don’t have…”

“My grandmother’s ring and her earrings.”

I gave a look of slight shock

“Howie, she promised me those in her will. She gave them…”

“You’re not apart of the family anymore. I want those to stay in the family line.”

“I can’t believe you.”

“ Mr. Dorough also would like..”

“Nothing else matters,” I said as I started to walk away from the table. “Take whatever you want.”

“Ms. Foster, you’re entrusting the property and all its belongings to Mr. Dorough then?”

“Yes.” I kept walking away until…

“Willow…I want you to have that tree. You’re giving up the rights to the house but I want you to have the rights over the willow tree. I know how much it means to you.”

I could hear the sincerity in his voice although his face had bore no expression.

“Thank you, Howie. At least I’ll leave with something still close to my heart.”

In the end, Howie had given me a portion of his tour paychecks, which left me in good hands. I was able to visit the willow anytime I pleased. If I crossed the border of the driveway without his permission, I would lose the rights. It was as if the tree were a child. But I didn’t care. He proved to me that he still cared enough to let me near that tree. After a while, I bought an apartment that was close to the school. I started my life over again. That’s the end of it. That’s my sad conclusion of my story. Or so I had thought.