- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Brand new fic y'all! I just wrote this last night - my hand was just itching to write something. and yes, I said write as in pen & paper. I haven't done that since forever! Lol. Well, Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own story idea. Song lyrics are Used To by Daughtry. And of course, Brian & Nick own themselves. Thank-you!


You used to talk to me like
I was the only one around
You used to lean on me
The only other choice was falling down
You used to walk with me like
We had nowhere we needed to go
Nice and slow
To no place in particular

 

“Why haven’t they called me, Brian?” Fifteen-year-old Nick Carter asked his best friend. “I’ve left messages and everything!”

Brian, whom was twenty, sighed as they walked along the park path they had found. “I don’t know Nick. Maybe they’re busy?”

“Too busy to call their own son?” Nick questioned, a pitiful look on his young face. “What’s so important that they can’t pick up the phone and call me?”

“I don’t know,” Brian shrugged. “My Mom hasn’t stopped calling.”

“I could only be so lucky,” Nick muttered. He hadn’t heard from his family in over a month and he’d no idea as to just why that was.

“I’m sorry,” Brian said softly, feeling bad for his friend.

“What’re you sorry for? Not your fault nobody cares enough to call me.”

“Nick,” Brian began, turning to look at the younger boy.

Nick turned away from him, not wanting for him to see the tears that had formed in his eyes.

“Nick,” Brian repeated.

“I wanna go home, Brian,” Nick stated, turning to look at the older boy. “I wanna go home!”

Brian said nothing as he pulled the crying youth into his warm, loving embrace. He hugged him tight and kissed the top of his head.

“C’mon. Don’t cry Frack,” he pleaded. “Things will get better; you’ll see. I promise.”

“How Frick?” Nick whined midst his sobs. “I miss them! And every time I call no one answers!”

Brian rocked him some, as he thought of what to say.

“If it makes you feel any better, my Mom always asks about you.”

“Really?” Nick asked, looking up at Brian with sad, teary eyes. “She asks about me?”

“All the time,” Brian smiled. “She always wants to know how young Nickolas is doing.”

Nick managed a weak smile. “I like your Mom. She’s really nice.”

“Well, she really likes you too,” Brian assured his best pal. “In fact, she wants to know what size you wear so she can make you a sweater and matching scarf.”

Nick gave a small giggle. “I’d like that. No one’s made me anything in years – well, except for my siblings.”

“We’ll hafta call my Mom when we get back then,” Brian stated. “You can tell her what you’d like then.”

Nick nodded his agreement, as he rested his head upon Brian’s shoulder, not quite ready to let him go just yet.

Brian rubbed Nick’s back comfortingly. “you wanna keep exploring this path and see where we end up?”

“Do we have time for that?” Nick, queried, finally pulling away.

Brian flashed him a grin. “What do you think Frack?”

“We have time to explore Frick,” Nick grinned in return, as he wiped his eyes one last time. “Let’s go!”

And with that, the two best friends continued on down the path to no place in particular.

We used to have this figured out
We used to breathe without a doubt
When the nights were clear
You were the first star I’d see
We used to have this under control
We never thought, we used to know
At least there’s me and at least there’s you
Can we get this back? Can we get this back
To how it used to be

Twenty-seven-year-old Nick Carter watched silently as his once best friend scooped his son up and tossed him into the air. He forced a small smile upon his face as he heard Baylee squeal in delight.

That used to be him over there, being picked up and tossed over Brian’s shoulder. But not anymore. Not since Leighanne had come into the picture. And definitely not since Baylee had been born four and a half years earlier. He had nothing against the kid – it wasn’t his fault his mother was possessive and over-protective. Nor was it his fault that unless it was work related his father wanted nothing to do with his once ‘Frack’.

It was painful, but it was the sad truth. Nick hadn’t been kidding when he’d said he’d been betrayed one too many times by people he was supposed to be able to trust. He’d just never thought in a million years that Brian would actually be one of those people. And though people thought Kevin had betrayed him by leaving the group, no one, other than his own parents, had betrayed him more than the man he currently stood watching.

Nick watched emotionless as Leighanne pointed out to her husband that they were being watched. He shook his head and blinked, nodding to Brian when he’d actually looked his way.

Who knew that Brian knew Nick still existed outside of work? He sure hadn’t. Though, he wondered if Brian would’ve even seen him, had Leighanne not pointed him out.

After watching for a few moments longer and giving one last sigh, Nick turned and headed off towards his yellow hummer – leaving Brian and his family behind.

I used to reach for you
When I got lost along the way
I used to listen
You always had the just right thing to say
I used to follow you
Never really cared where we would go
Fast or slow
To anywhere at all

“Brian!...Brian!...Brian!” Nick shrieked bolting awake in his bunk, eyes wide and scared. The fifteen-year-old had just had a horrible nightmare.

There was rustling and movement in the dark then.

“Brian?” Nick whimpered quietly, blankets clutched tightly to his chest.

“What’s wrong Frack?” The dark figure spoke.

Nick gave a huge sigh of relief then, glad it was his best friend, and not some evil gremlin coming to get him.

Brian hopped up into Nick’s bunk and peered at him through the dark as they both sat there quietly.

Nick finally loosened the death grip he had upon the covers and moved over so that Brian could sit next to him, instead of across from him.

Once they were settled again, Brian draped an arm around the other blonde’s shoulders.

“You wanna talk about it?” He asked, knowing well enough to not pressure Nick into answering.

“The gremlins got you," nick answered softly. "I tried everything, but I couldn't save you.”

Brian waited, sensing the boy wasn’t finished yet.

“And then Kevin came and started yelling and blaming me,” Nick continued quietly. “But I swear Frick, I did everything I could to save you! The gremlins were just too smart – and I think Howie was one of them!”

Brian stifled the chuckle that wanted badly to escape. Now was not the time to laugh!

“And A.J. kept spanking me and saying I deserved it for letting you die!” Nick went on, then wailed. “I don’t want you to die, Frick!

Brian gave Nick’s shoulders a squeeze then, deciding now was the best time to speak up.

“I’m not going anywhere Frack,” he assured the youth next to him. “The gremlins are not going to get me because I’m Kevin’s cousin and they fear Kevin’s wrath more than anything.”

“But - ”

“And they won’t get you either because I refuse to let them,” Brian added. “And Kevin would never blame you, because he knows you’d do anything to save me, just like I’d do anything to save you.”

“But Howie was a gremlin! It was his fault you got taken!”

“Frack, c’mon. Howie’s not a gremlin.”

“Are you sure?”

“Of course I’m sure.”

“But how do you know?”

“Does he fear Kevin?”

“No….”

“Then he’s not a gremlin,” Brian stated with conviction.

Nick gave his best friend a timid smile of pure relief, then frowned. “But what about A.J.?”

“What about him?” Brian asked.

“He kept spanking me.”

“Don’t you worry about A.J.,” Brian told him. “I’ll make sure he pays for that, okay?”

Nick nodded silently, trusting his Frick whole-heartedly.

“Wanna go play some Nintendo?” Brian suggested.

“Sure!” Nick agreed readily.

The two of them slid out of the bunk then and padded into the back room where the Nintendo was kept. As they sat there playing, Nick spoke softly, but gratefully.

“Thanks Frick.”

“Anytime Frack.”

“No, really. Thanks.”

“Yeah, I know.”

 

We used to have this figured out
We used to breathe without a doubt
When nights were clear, you were the first star I’d see
We used to have this under control
We never thought, we used to know
At least there’s me and at least there’s you
Can we get this back? Can we get this back
To how it used to be

Brian watched Nick head for his Hummer, and briefly wondered what was bothering the younger man now. in the old days, he wouldn’t have to guess – he’d just know. But these days, he really had no idea. Nor did he really have the time to worry about it all that long. He was a very busy man, what with his family, recording, and his solo career and all. Successful solo career he might add. A solo career that wasn’t interfering with backstreet stuff at all, unlike Nick’s which had. He still didn’t get how Nick could be so selfish – but these days, Nick could be a total selfish brat when he wanted to be.

Little did he know that some of the songs on Nick’s flopped album, had actually been directed at him. He, of all people, should have understood ‘Help Me’ for what it was really for. But since having had met Leighanne, he’d unknowingly become completely oblivious to his ‘Frack’s’ feelings and needs. He’d let his little Frack down without even knowing of realizing it. He blamed Nick for the fact they were no longer that close – but really, he’d no one to blame but himself.

“C’mon Leigh, let’s head home,” he said finally, turning to face his wife once more. “I’m sure Baylee here is pretty hungry by now.”

“Baylee hungry!” Baylee exclaimed then, giggling as his father tickled him. His Daddy was his hero and he wanted to be just like him!

 

I look around me
And I want you to be there
‘Cause I miss the things that we shared
Look around you
It’s empty and you’re sad
‘Cause you miss the love we had

Nick stood in his empty mansion, looking at the photos he had on the wall. His eyes landed on one and it took everything he had in him to remain emotionless as he stared at an old photo of him and Brian. Of Frick and Frack.

In the photo the two of them had their arms slung over one another, with football helmets on their heads and grins on their faces. They’d been so young then. He’d been so young. Young and foolish enough to believe his best friend when he’d said they’d be best friends forever. News flash, forever had come and gone long ago. Forever had ended the day Leighanne had walked into their lives. And to this day he still cursed the video they’d made for As Long As You Love Me. It was because of that stupid video that he’d lost his ‘Frick’ for good.

He’d never admit, not in a million years, that not a day went by where he didn’t wish for things to be the way they used to be. For Brian to always be there like had he promised fourteen years earlier.

 

You used to talk to me like
I was the only one around

The only one around

“Some day Frack, I’m going to be married and have lots of kids,” Brian stated, as the two of them lie in the grass staring up at the clouds.

“Yeah, and you’ll forget all about me then,” Nick grumbled somewhat. The two of them were sharing their future dreams with one another.

“No I won’t,” Brian argued.

“Yes you will,” Nick insisted.

“No I won’t,” Brian said firmly. “I’d never forget my Frack.”

“Promise?”

“Of course I promise! Who do you think will be the kids’ Godfather and most favourite uncle?”

“Harry,” Nick answered honestly.

Brian laughed. “Maybe to one or two. But you’ll have a few to adore you too.”

“You gonna name them after me too?” Nick asked rolling onto his side to smirk at his friend.

“Maybe,” Brian replied, turning his head to smile at the greatest friend he’d ever had. “You never know.”

“Well, I’m definitely naming all mine Brian Junior,” Nick stated seriously, before the two of them cracked up laughing.

“What’s your future dream Frack?” Brian queried once they’d calmed down some.

“To still be a Backstreet Boy and your best friend.”

 

We used to have this figured out
We used to breathe without a doubt
When nights were clear, you were the first star I’d see
We used to have this under control
We never thought, we used to know
At least there’s you and at least there’s me
Can we get this back? Can we get this back
To how it used to be
Yeah, how it used to be
To how it used to be, yeah
To how it used to be

Brian stood watching his son sleep, remembering how he used to watch Nick the same way. He didn’t know why, but the other man kept plaguing his thoughts. Maybe it was because of how lost Nick looked earlier when he’d been caught staring? Or maybe it was because he refused to admit just how much he truly missed his ‘Frack’, no matter how happy he was with his life. He still knew he was missing something – rather someone – his ‘Frack’.

He sighed as he left his son’s bedroom and headed for where they kept all their photo albums. After rooting around for a bit, he finally found the one he’d been looking for. The one of him and Nick. Of Frick and Frack.

As he flipped through the album, his eyes landed upon his favourite one. The two of them sound asleep, with him spooning Nick. The younger of the two hadn’t been sleeping well due to nightmares; it seemed the only way to keep them at bay was for Brian to bunk with him and so he had. Anything for his ‘Frack’. He sighed heavily, as he wondered what had ever happened to those days. How he missed those days….

 

To how it used to be