- Text Size +

I grunted as I hauled, what seemed, 300 pounds of baby stuff. I held the playpin, which was all folded up in a bag on my right arm, and on my other arm held Adelynn, who was in her carseat. Shoved in between my arms, was the diaper bag and a bag full of toys, food, and such for a two-night stay at grandma's house.

Me and the guys had to go to New York City, to do a TRL appearance for our new video. Then we had to go off and do a few press conferences about the new album. I had never been away from Adelynn for more than a few hours, and I was really worried.

I, firstoff, placed the carseat into the buckle. Then I shoved the bags full of stuff into the trunk.

"Woo," I sighed, as I slammed the trunk door shut.

I ran back onto the front porch, and grabbed my own bags for a couple days in New York. Then I stuck them next to me in the passenger seat. It was way too early, the sun hadn't even risen yet. Finally, I made my way to the drivers seat to drive to my mom's house.

Once we got there, she seemed to instinctively know what exact time we would be there because she was standing on the front porch waiting for us. She smiled and waved when we pulled into her driveway. I smiled back at her.

She noticed all the stuff I had piled up, "Honey, you overpacked. Let me help you."

"I got it, mom."

I unbuckled the carseat and carried it into the house, then set her down gently on the floor. She'd be fine for a couple of minutes.

I saw my mom trying to carry the playpin in, but I went over and grabbed it from her hands, "Mom, you can't carry that stuff. Lemme do it."

She shook her head, "Just because I'm old doesn't mean anything."

I laughed, "I never said you were old! Your a hot mama!" I joked, and winked at her.

She just chuckled, "Keep dreaming, Alex. I'm putting on a lot of weight here... I'm not no hot mama."

"Ah, mom, shut up. You look great. And thanks for taking Adelynn for me... you know, I'm gonna call like every 5 minutes. And you better answer the damn phone. I'm gonna be worried."

"Honey, I promise you, she's in good hands."

"I know she is. I just, have never been away from her for more than a couple hours. You know how big of a worrywart I am."

She smiled, "You were never a worrywart until your daughter was born. But that's a good thing. It's healthy to worry about your kids. If you don't, there's something wrong."

"I guess so."

She stood on her tip-toes to give me a big hug, and I wrapped my arms around her back.

"Love you, mama. I better get moving... I got a flight to catch."

"Okay, honey."

I sighed a little bit, and walked up the porch stairs and saw Adelynn fast asleep in her car seat. I just stared at her for a few moments, before leaning down to softly kiss her head.

"Your daddy misses you already, baby. Be good for grandma," I whispered, before kissing her one more time.

Before I knew it, I was on the road heading to the airport. As I traveled down the roads, I got a chance to get my head together. This was hard. But Adelynn was the best thing that ever happened to me. And she always will be. I couldn't understand Claire's brain and how she could give up her own child? Someone that came out of her?

I shook the thoughts from my head. Good. Claire can miss out on everything. I get to be the one who fixes her first scratched knee, and watches her go on the school bus to kindergarten, and comforts her when she's crying. Me. Nobody else. Call me selfish, but I loved it.