- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So I had a little name snaffu with Raelynn (formerly Brittany) that's all fixed now so if you're wondering who Rae is that's the niece lol. Thanks to Jamanda for pointing that out. Anywhoo here's the much anticipated new chapter to OMWTY as always Reviews make me happy! lol
Chapter Three: An Awkward Situation





I hate this…it’s been two days and I’ve talked to her three times, on the phone twice and then at the shoot we did in Central Park. And both fucking times it was completely awkward. I explained what happened to Brian, lord knows I am NEVER telling AJ ever that I got shot down. I’ll never live it the fuck down. It was fucking terrible, I haven’t been this attracted to a woman in a long, long…long ass time. And its more so now that we’re in an awkward position. She acted as if nothing happened….and I well uhhh…yeah…




I waited impatiently as the phone rang. God I actually hope she’ll pick up. I hear Raelynn answer. “Hey Rae it’s Nick, is Danica home?”




“She is, but said to tell you she’s washing her hair. It’s what she says when she’s avoiding someone.” She said nonchalantly.




Fuck me…




“Oh umm okay well let her know I called and…” I began to say hearing the phone getting passed and some silent cursing and then…




“Hey Nick…”




“Dani, thought you were washing your hair?” I chuckled at her.




“Yeah busted I know. Sorry just well…”




I sighed and grinned to myself, “Yeah, don’t worry about it though.” Shit I should hold her accountable for trying avoid me. But damn her voice is cute.




“I just don’t like to mix business with…well you know.”




Oh do I know…damnit she’s being mean. “Yeah I understand.”




“Good because I’d really like to be friends you seem like such a great guy.”




MOTHERFUCKER! No, no no!!!!




“Really?” I ask trying to maintain my composure as much as possible. It’s bad enough that not only did I not kiss her but now she wants to be friends? Call me an ass, but it’s a simple truth. Girls do not kiss, touch, and fuck, or even think about being with their friends. Men do NOT want to be friends with a woman unless they’re gay. Men are looking to be with a woman hoping that she’s either going to be a good lay, or be the one. Sadly yeah we’re all looking for the same thing just some of us are more upfront about it. I myself am sick of that endless string of women.




There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.




And in all honesty it’s true. It’s fun to play around but seeing my friends settle down has made me want that too. Now maybe Dani is meant to be with me, or maybe I’ll get ready fully to actually commit to a solid relationship. I don’t mean one of those I date the girl because she’s hot and want to hit that. No I mean for once I’d like to have an honest relationship where I’m in it to be with someone I actually care for. So what’s with the turn around? Well the girls in LA, where I live. Pretty much the girls anywhere it seems. They don’t want dorky Nick Carter, the guy who still plays video games until 3AM. These girls want the red carpet, the Hollywood Premieres, going to the Grammy’s and all that bullshit.




I’d much rather have someone who’d just want to hang out at home and watch movies with me. Just be with me for all my faults and failures.





Is that too much to ask?





*******************************************************************************************************************************




“So how’ve you been?” She asked trying to make light conversation. Is it bad that I love her smile the way her eyes crinkle at the corners and the laugh lines she’s beginning to develop.




“I’ve been good, you?” I ask her sincerely.




She grinned more and nodded, “All right nothing bad really.” She replied as she snapped a few shots of me looking right at her with a grin.




Is that why she’s stringing me along? Making me like her so she can get good photos of me? Does she work the same way with the others? Does she use the same flirty banter we have?




Fuck liking someone when they don’t like you back sucks. It really does.




“So I was thinking that maybe we should hang out more…” She began.




Is she? Nah she’s probably suggesting we hang out and do each other’s nails or some bullshit like that. I raised my eyebrows at her in surprise.




“Well you know since we’re going to be on tour in like a week I’d like to ya know have someone who’ll show me the ropes. I’ve never been on a tour before.”




Oh show her the ropes? Goddamn she’s just asking for it isn’t she? So not fair… “Yeah sounds like fun.” Could I have said that with any less enthusiasm? Probably but hey she’s the one who put me in the friend zone.




“Oh don’t sound so enthused!” She exclaimed giving me a good shove on my shoulder. You know, for a girl she’s pretty strong. She’s such a tomboy from what I can tell however just imagining her in a skirt? Man I’d kill to see those legs. From the form fitting capri’s she’s wearing you can totally tell she’s athletic probably played softball or something.




“No seriously it’ll be fun to show you how a tour runs. How are the photo shoots going to work?”




She sighed and looked over at her notepad sitting open on her desk. “Well how I have I planned was to each week I’d focus on one guy while still doing the group shots. So like first week would be Brian and I would focus on how each of you are off stage behind the scenes.”




“So giving the fans an inside look?”




“Yeah and I was going to do video too, I have an assistant, Marie for that she’s an amazing videographer.”




Now I was truly impressed, this type of idea I didn’t expect to come from a photographer. The record company or Johnny maybe. But a photographer. “Seems pretty intensive. Are you sure you’re up to the challenge?” I flirted a little.




She raised her eyebrows at me and replied, “Well I was able to track Nine Inch Nails during a promotional tour they did for their Year Zero album they released earlier this year. Granted it wasn’t a huge tour with concerts but it still was a lot of fun.”




I smiled at her comparison, but in reality I felt a little intimidated. I mean yeah I’ve done some pretty cool stuff in my day but damn to be that confident about my work. I love my music and am confident in it’s quality but there’s always doubts that spring up. Does she have the same doubts that I do? “Do you ever get scared you won’t be able to achieve what you want to?”




She sighed and nodded, “All the time, I’m always second guessing myself. Especially when it deals with my work but I work my ass off to make sure that I don’t have to.”




“Perfectionist…” I retorted with a slight grin.




She rolled her eyes and smiled, “Not like you aren’t about your music I’m assuming. But then again I could be wrong.”




“Funny, no we work hard to get all the harmonies right.” I explained in all seriousness.




No one really understands exactly how hard it is to work as a musician. The sheer musical knowledge you need to be successful. Sure you can have a flash in the pan career thanks to Auto-tune but to be a real success, to have staying power like we’ve been so lucky to have, then you have to know what you’re doing.




I think on some level that Dani understands that. Maybe it’s because she’s also in the creative arts she can appreciate what it’s like to have to come up with things on the fly.




“So, how about we hang out tonight?” She asked with a coy grin.




I shot her a sideways glance, “Any reason why?”




“Well Rae keeps talking about you and wants to get to know ya and I figured we could just hang out and watch some movies.” She rambled a little. “Sorry I tend to ramble…”




“It’s fine people underestimate the value of a good ramble.” I joked back. Dear god could I sound more clichéd? “But yeah sounds like fun, it’d be great to get to know your niece.”




“Great, I’ll see you around 8 then?” She said as I got up to leave having to go to a few more meetings and then a couple of interviews. But movies at her place? I’m so down for that. True I most definitely won’t be able to get any action with the niece there but, I can however show her that I’m not some self-obsessed celebrity.




And maybe that just might be the key to getting past this stupid friendship stage and into something more?