- Text Size +
Against All Odds - Chapter 28


AJ’s struggles were no match for the two large men and he was literally thrown into a room as if he were a rag doll. Picking himself off the floor he ran back to the door, pounding on it with balled up fists.


”C’mon,” he screamed into the steel door.


Tiffany had been taken down the hall leaving AJ alone once again in the fake hospital room that he had been held captive for nearly a week. The room was torn up following the fight he had with Ester earlier.


Sitting on the edge of the bed, AJ tucked his hands underneath his chin as he tried to figure out a plan on how to escape and help his friends.

**********


Jack McDonald stared at the young blonde that lay on the floor, unconscious.


“Scrawny little shit, you could fuck up my plans by your stupidity,” he muttered, kicking Nick in the side. His only reward for his actions was a soft moan.


The older man paced back and forth from the unconscious victim. Stopping, he dragged a hand across his wrinkled, weathered face as he stared down at Nick. Wordlessly, he plucked a two way from his waistband.


“Doug…I need you to come back to my office and help me with that kid I hammered.”


Drifting in and out of a conscious state, Nick could hear a man’s voice and a two way radio. The only thing that sprung into his mind was that he must have fainted during a show and the body guards were talking on their radios. Feeling safe, he stopped the struggle to keep awake and lapsed back into darkness.


Attaching the radio back onto his waistband, Jack stared down at Nick.


“I hope you’re not bleeding on my rug,” he said with disgust as he looked at the cream colored carpeting. Squatting down, he pushed Nick so he rolled onto his back.  Seeing a trail of blood on the young man’s face, the old man cursed. “Goddamn it…I told you not to bleed on my rug!” He slapped Nick’s face for punishment. Nick moaned in response.


The man that Jack had radioed entered the room after softly knocking on the office door.


“Took you long enough,” Jack muttered.


“I came as soon as you called,” Doug defended.


“Did you get McLean back into his room all right?”


Doug laughed. “Yeah for a little shit he was trying to put up a fight but I got him back into his room and locked the door. He won’t be going no where.”


Pressing his foot into Nick’s ribs, Jack McDonald stared down with hatred in his eyes. “He almost cost me my plans.”


Doug watched the older man’s actions. “Is that kid still out?”


“Yeah he groans but yeah he’s pretty much passed out.”


“You know that ain’t a good thing to let him sleep.”


“Why do you care?”


“Because he could die on you…when you have a concussion you’re not suppose to sleep.”


“Where the fuck did you get that from?”


“I watched Grey’s Anatomy and---“


”Shut the fuck up on your Grey’s Anatomy!” Jack snapped.


“But if you leave him like that he could go into a coma or something,” Doug continued.


“Like I care, grab an arm and help me,” Jack muttered as he squatted down.


“So what are you planning on doing with him?” Doug asked as he helped Jack pick up Nick and drag him toward the door.


“We dump him off where he can’t screw up our plans with McLean.”


“Dump as in a back alley?”


“Better than that,” Jack smirked.

**********


Brian paced his hotel room.


“You’re wearing out the carpet,” his cousin stated.


“I haven’t heard back from Nick after he dropped his phone…this is weird, maybe we should go back to the bar and see if we can talk to that McDonald guy or at least follow him, I think we’d get a better idea of where Nick went. I don’t trust him at all,” Brian explained.


“I’m sure the police---“


“Kevin I’m sorry, I know you trust and respect what the police are trying to do but I think this guy has something to do with AJ and now Nick is caught up in the middle of this.”


“I have to agree with Brian on this one too,” Howie added.


Sighing, the older Kentuckian stood up. “I guess we go find Nick.”


“And AJ,” Brian added.


Kevin sadly shook his head. ”Brian…”


“AJ’s not dead so don’t try and tell me anything else until I actually see his body,” Brian interrupted.


“Lets not waste time arguing guys,” Howie said as he made his way toward the door.


“Howie’s right, lets go,” Brian agreed.

**********


Keys jingled on the outside of the door, breaking AJ away from his thoughts. He quickly stood up.


Ester entered the room flanked by two muscular men dressed in hospital scrubs.


AJ sized up the two men. He knew that he would be no match for them and resigned himself to standing and waiting to see what the old woman wanted.


“Thought you could leave us?” Ester sneered.


“Why should I stay? You know the game is over so just let me go.”


“We have plans for you Mr. McLean.”


“Where’s Tiffany? Is she OK?”


“That little brat is getting what she deserves,” Ester hissed.


“If you hurt her--“


“What are you going to do?” the old woman laughed. “You’ve already found out that you can’t escape. These men are our security; just like you had your body guards we have ours.”


“She’s not involved in this, you need to just let her go. Let Nick go too, just do with me what you planned,” AJ pleaded.


“Mr. Carter is being taken care of as we speak,” Ester replied.


“What are you doing with him? Jack said he was going to dispose of him. What are you going to do with Nick?”


“That is between Jack and Nick,” the woman replied in a sour voice.


“Why did you kidnap me in the first place?”


“Kidnap is such an ugly word, I prefer to say that you went with us but weren’t too willing.”


“You’re crazy!” AJ spat as he decided to make a run for the open door. He was immediately stopped by the strong arms of one of the body guards.


“See…you can’t leave,” Ester smiled.


AJ tried to wrestle away from the grip. “Just let me go,” he begged.


“No, it is time for your afternoon medications,” the old woman announced as she uncapped a fluid filled syringe.


AJ tried to struggle from the body guard. “What are you giving me?”


Ester smirked as she plunged the needle into the tattoo rebel’s arm. “Something you need to have so you’ll be happy to stay with us.”


The body guard moved AJ over toward the bed, tossing him onto the mattress.


"Pretty soon you'll be begging for me to come and see you more often," Ester said with a smile. "Pleasant dreams Mr. McLean."