- Text Size +
Against All Odds - Chapter 29


Kevin shook his head as Brian pulled the rental car into the parking lot.


"This place looks straight out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie," he muttered as he peered out the windshield toward the dark bar.


"Yeah, I kinda had the same thought when Nick and I got here," Brian agreed.


"Why are we going here again?" Howie wondered.


"This was the last place AJ had been before he started to drive back to the hotel," Brian stated. "And this was the last place Nick and I were at before Nicky disappeared.


"Do you even know if this Jack character is here?" Kevin asked.


Brian shook his head. "No...not sitting out here but he's a regular at this place and he comes in every day."


"So what are your plans again?" the Latino questioned.


"We follow his car back to his place."


"Brian," Kevin sighed. "You just said you don't even know if the guy is here so how are we going to follow him for chrissake!"


"I'm going to have one of you guys go in and case the---"


"Case?" Kevin interrupted.


"Yeah, you know check the place out and see if he's in there," Brian continued.


"I've never laid my eyes on this guy how the hell am I going to know who I'm looking for?" Kevin grumbled.


"If you'd let me describe him maybe you'd know who you're looking for," Brian answered testily.


"Okay, go ahead and tell me what he looks like."


"He looks like Fred Durst."


Howie smirked. "That guy from Limp Bizkit?"


"Yeah tattoos and all that crap. I swear thats what he looks like; only ten times creepier and twenty years older," Brian added.


"Easy enough," Kevin said as he opened his door. Howie followed the older Kentuckian's actions. "We'll be back in a few minutes."


"So what are you going to do without acting suspicious?" Brian questioned.


Howie shrugged his shoulders. "Go to the bathroom."

**********


"God this kid weighs a ton," Doug grunted as he pulled onto the blonde's arm.


"Are you getting soft on me?" Jack muttered as he grabbed the opposite arm.


"No...." Doug defended. "How about we lift him on the count of three?"


The older man nodded his understanding and working as a team, they managed to pull Nick up and each man looped an arm over their shoulders. Nick groaned slightly as he was pulled from the soft, carpeted floor to a semi upright position. Jack was not sympathetic to Nick's discomfort, jerking the blonde's arm.


"Where are we taking him again?" Doug asked as they started dragging him down the long hall toward the service elevator.


"Don't ask questions...its better that way," Jack growled as they pulled Nick onto the small, stuffy elevator. The threesome rode the elevator in silence, Nick's head hung downwards, his knees bent. "It would be nice if this Carter guy would be more awake and help us some," Jack muttered as he slapped the back of the young man's head.


"Do you think you're gonna wake him up by smacking him in the head?" Doug mumbled. "He's probably got a concussion."


"You start up on Grey's Anatomy again and I swear to God..."


"I'm just sayin that if someone is knocked out hitting him on the head ain't gonna help him."


Before Jack could reply, the elevator had jerked to a sudden stop and the doors opened. "C'mon lets drag him out to your car."


"My car? Why not your car?" Doug hissed.


"Because I just got mine cleaned the other day and I don't want him bleeding all over my interior."


"You think I want him bleeding on mine?"


"All right....OK we're throwing him in my trunk then," Jack compromised as he pulled the keys out of his pocket and opened the trunk.

**********


"That didn't take long," Brian said as his cousin returned to the car.


"It was pretty easy there was only two guys in the place besides the bar tender and the guys were in their eighties at least."


Brian sighed. "I guess we have to wait for him to show up."


"What if he doesn't? Howie asked.


"He'll show....they said he comes in here every day," Brian replied.


Kevin rubbed his forehead as he yawned. "Let's hope you're right."


"I feel like we're in a stakeout like they have in those movies," Howie said from the backseat.


Kevin reached back and swatted the Latino on the shoulder. "You're starting to sound like Nick."


Howie rubbed the offended area. "Is that why you hit me?"


"Yeah, I'm going through Nicky withdrawal....I have to keep my skills intact."


"Shhh....guys, look over there," Brian said as he pointed toward the entrance. "It's the guy."


"He does look creepy," Howie mumbled as he stared in the direction that Brian was pointing.


"He's got a friend with him, he can't be too creepy," Kevin surmised.


"So what do we do now?" Howie asked. "Can we go in and talk to this guy?"


Brian shook his head. "No, we wait and then we follow him when he leaves."


"But he could be in there for hours," Howie said.


"So? It's not like we can walk up to him and ask him what he did with Nick, can we?"


Howie shook his head. "No, I guess not."


"So we wait," Brian replied as he settled back in his seat, his eyes trained at the bar entrance.