- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everyone! Sorry it's taken us a while to get the next chapter up. Both Kelly and I have been super busy, but, luckily, we found time to come up with the next chapter! Things start rolling in this one, so it's pretty exciting! We hope you enjoy it!
Mac’s first few days on tour flew by quickly.  Having worked undercover several times before, she didn’t have any difficulty adjusting to being in a new place, sleeping in a new bed or beds, depending on where the Boys were bunked for the night.  Maybe she didn’t relish the sensation of sleeping on a tour bus what with all the bumping and jostling, but she didn’t mind it too much either.  Besides, she liked her new roommates and hoped that they felt the same about her.

Baylee was the most charismatic five year old she had ever met.  She didn’t know of a single female on the tour that he hadn’t already wrapped around his little finger.  They were constantly bringing him toys and treats, even though she’d heard Brian tell them not to at least a dozen times.  Mac knew Brian didn’t want to spoil Baylee to pieces, but she knew that Baylee was too sweet to be easily spoiled.  

She thought it was the cutest thing that, on her third night with the tour, Baylee showed up at the door to her hotel room in Albuquerque.  He’d dragged an enormous stuffed bear with him, and a tired, grumpy-looking Brian apologized and explained that Baylee wanted to spend the night with her.  She had been incredibly surprised but had agreed.  Baylee had crawled into bed with her and, pulling her arms around him, had proceeded to fall asleep.  Mac had been amazed at the ease with which he had gotten used to having her around, and she rather liked the warm feelings that had spread through her when Baylee had cuddled close to her.  

As for Baylee’s father, Brian was obviously finding it a bit more difficult to adjust to her presence. Though their talk that first night had consisted of him telling Mac about Leighanne and her murder and Mac beginning to understand his current strained behavior, their conversations still consisted of stilted words and stayed on the topic of Baylee.  Mac had decided to just deal with the fact that it would be a long time, if ever, before she and Brian might actually be friends.

That was definitely not the case with Brian’s bandmates, though.  Howie had quickly become a regular visitor during those times of the day when she and Baylee spent time working on a geometric paper quilt. Howie would sit with them and help cut colorful circles, squares, and triangles and assist Mac in correcting Baylee on which shapes were which and how many triangles it took to make a square.  Sometimes, if he’d had time, Howie would bring her coffee and, later, they would talk about how excited he was that his wife, Leigh, was going to have their first child right after the end of the tour.  He was too cute, and Mac had scribbled in her journal about how she was positive that the Avenging Angel was not Howie.  There was no way that straight-laced Howie D would strap himself into Spandex and take the law into his own hands.  Nope.

Then, there was Nick.  The two of them had quickly gotten past the “Grandma Mac” incident and could laugh about it now.  Surprisingly, he was one of her favorite people on the tour, and, instead of the two of them developing a romantic relationship the way Nick had hoped, they were like big sister and little brother, now.  He’d easily gotten over his mini-heartbreak when Mac had told him that she didn’t really date younger men and definitely not blondes, and now, he’d moved on to flirt obsessively with one of the women that worked with the sound team.  He was a hopeless case, but Mac was growing to love him.

Finally, there was AJ.  Where she’d once thought him outrageously attractive, those thoughts had only been based upon pictures, concerts, and video footage.  Up close and personal, AJ blew her away.  He was certainly attractive, but she discovered that he had a heart of gold and a personality as soft as a teddy bear.  Though she didn’t see him as often as she would have liked, she still saw him before sound checks and whenever he dropped by to play with Baylee, who he considered his honorary nephew.  It was adorable to watch the way Baylee and AJ lit up around each other.  Not as cute as the way Baylee and Brian often fooled around when Brian thought she wasn’t watching, but still seriously cute.

“Mac! Hey, Mac!” She glanced up from the journal she’d been writing in to find Baylee clutching himself and hopping from one foot to the other.

She suppressed the giggle that tickled her throat at his antics.  “What’s up, Bay? Did you finish writing out the vocabulary list?”

“Not yet.” His face scrunched up and slowly turned red.  “Mac! I gotta go! Can you take me? Please!”

This time, she chuckled.  “Sure thing. I’d better carry you because you look like you’re about to burst, kiddo.”

“I might!”

Mac laughed and, scooping him up, she carted him out of the room and down the hall to where the backstage bathrooms were located.  As she waited for him outside the men’s room, she could hear the cheering of fans from the sound check party going on in the main concert hall.  She could easily pick out Howie’s cheerful voice, AJ’s raspy, but energetic one, and Nick’s excited chattering.  Dimly, she wondered where Brian was.

Baylee burst out of the bathroom and grinned up at her.  “Thanks! I feel much better.”

“You are too cute for words, Bayster.” Mac ruffled his hair affectionately and held out a hand.  Baylee stuck his hand in hers, and they began to walk back to the dressing room they’d been assigned.  “Since you finished the vocab so fast, I think we can go find your dad and the guys once I check your work.  How’s that sound?”

“Can I go out onstage? It’s so much fun! You should come, too.” Baylee beamed up at her.  “You can meet all the pretty girls.”

Mac shook her head, grinning.  “I thought I was the only girl for you.  Did you find a replacement for me?”

“ ‘Course not!” Baylee stopped to hug her legs.  “You know you’re the only one for me, Mac! I jus’ like looking at the others.”

She knelt to properly hug him and kissed his forehead.  “You are going to be a terror to womankind when you grow up, Baylee.  Someone’s going to have to watch out for you.”

“You can keep me in line all the time, Mac.” Baylee pressed his little hands to her cheeks and kissed her nose.  “Watch my back, right?”

She chuckled at his choice of phrases.  But, before she could respond, another voice spoke. “Well, it looks like Baylee’s found a partner in crime.”

Mac turned to find AJ standing a few feet away, smiling at the two of them.  “Oh, you know, a man can only go solo for so long.  Right, Baylee?”

“Yup.  I need me a partner in crime.  Whaddya say, Mac?” He held out a hand.

She shook it.  “I accept.  Now, my little criminal friend, you’d better get into that room and check your work for mistakes.  You lose one minute of break time for every mistake.  Go.”

“A whole minute?” Baylee pouted, but he dragged himself into their dressing room.

AJ watched him go then waited for Mac to stand up before he said, “Wow, you’re doing a great job with him.  Lisa had to practically pull teeth to get him to do his work.  Then again, she was easily convinced to not try so hard by Nick.”

Mac thought of Nick for a moment.  “Yeah, I bet she did.  He could charm a dead woman if he tried hard enough.”

AJ grinned.  “Probably.  Although it seems to me like you’ve managed to escape the Nick Carter spell.”

“I guess.” She shrugged.  “He’s harmless and sweet.  Kinda like having a puppy around, you know?”

He burst into laughter.  “I don’t think I’ve ever heard Nick called a puppy before, but I guess it works.”

Mac couldn’t help but feel her pulse speed up when he took her hand in his.  “It works for me, and he’s stopped thinking I’ll date him.  Not that he didn’t try really hard the first couple days,” she added, sounding a little breathless because of the way AJ watched her.

“Obviously, it didn’t work out, huh?” AJ rubbed his thumb lightly over her knuckles.  “Maybe it could work out between us then.”

Oh, wow. Is AJ McLean actually asking me out? Mac tried to sound like a mature woman.  “Maybe.  Were you thinking of trying your luck?”

AJ flashed a grin at her, and she nearly melted into a puddle.  “Definitely.  I would’ve asked before, but I didn’t really have the time.  Tomorrow night, after the concert, we have almost two hours before the buses head out from here.  Maybe we could go out, get something to eat because I’m always starving after a show. I mean, I’m sure Brian wouldn’t mind if you took a break, since you’ve been pretty great with Baylee and all,” he added quickly.  “So, what do you think?”

What did she think? She thought that the big man upstairs was finally paying attention to her.  “Sure, why not? I’ll clear it with Brian.  Thanks for the offer, AJ.”

“No problem.  Like I said, I’ve been wanting to ask for a while, and I figured an opportunity like this was too good to pass up.”

“Well, I’m glad you asked.” She smiled and glanced over her shoulder when she heard Baylee call her name.  “I guess I’d better get back to the Bayster.  I’ll talk to you later then?”

“Sure, yeah.” AJ nodded and watched her go with a huge grin plastered across her face.  He was whistling as he turned to head down the hall to meet up with Nick, but he stopped when he saw Brian leaning against the wall, his expression anything but pleased. “Uh, hey, Brian.  Are you feeling better?”

Brian straightened and narrowed his eyes. “I feel fine, but I can’t believe you, AJ!”

“What?”

“Oh, don’t pretend like you don’t know what I’m talking about.” Brian didn’t know why he was so angry at the idea that AJ was going out with Mac, but he was.  “I can’t believe you actually asked Mac out! Couldn’t you control yourself?”

“Hey!” AJ was insulted.  “I didn’t do anything wrong.  It’s not like you cared when Nick and Lisa were playing patty-cake.”

Brian scowled.  “That’s because I completely missed the fact that it was happening! But, this…AJ, do you have to do this?”

AJ frowned now because Brian sounded half-worried and half-angry.  There was obviously something else bothering him.  “Brian, why is this bugging you so much? I mean, it’s not like you like Mac in that way.” He paused, eyes narrowing on Brian.  “Wait a minute.  Do you like Mac?”

“No, of course not!” Brian snapped.  “Not in that way.” God, he couldn’t believe he was having this conversation.  “In case you’ve forgotten, my wife, the woman I will love until the day I die, was killed last year.  I have no intention of replacing her.”

“Brian, I don’t think I could forget if I wanted to.  Leighanne was my friend, too,” he said softly.

Brian squeezed his eyes shut and sighed.  “I know.” His eyes met AJ’s.  “I know she was.  I’m not planning on replacing her any time soon, if ever.  Look, it took me five horrible nanny interviews to find Mac on the sixth try.  I really don’t want to lose her because Baylee is so attached to her, and she does such a good job.” He sighed again.  “I guess I just don’t want the two of you to get involved and have her quit her job if things go downhill between the two of you.  That’s all.”

AJ nodded.  “Fair enough.  But, let’s be serious here, Brian.  I haven’t even gone out with Mac yet, so you shouldn’t go jumping to crazy conclusions yet.  And trust me when I say that Mac and I are both adults and professional, so, if something goes wrong, I doubt she’ll disappear on you.”

“Yeah,” Brian said after a few moments.  “I guess you’re right.  I’m sorry I went off on you like that.”

“Don’t sweat it.  So, are you feeling better?” AJ asked, putting an arm around Brian’s shoulder as they began to walk.

Brian smiled a little.  “Yeah.  It must have been one of those twelve hour stomach bugs or something.”

“Oh, ew.”

Mac leaned against the doorway and watched them go.  Well, she thought, that had been quite the interesting conversation to overhear.  It had certainly given her a greater insight into Brian’s personality and character.  He was loyal, he obviously cared about his friends, and he had admitted that he did like her.  Maybe not in the romantic sense, and that was okay with Mac because, if he had, it would’ve made her dating AJ a bit of a sticky situation.  But, on top of all that, he was still very broken inside over his wife’s death.  Mac found herself wishing she’d had a chance to meet Leighanne.

Sighing a little, Mac turned from watching Brian leave to his energetic son bouncing in his seat.  Well, at least Baylee seemed to be getting past the misery of losing his mother, even if his father was far from it.

***

Brian was slumped on the couch and flipped through channels on the television.  There was an incredible amount of energy rampaging through his system, the way it always was after a great concert.  Tonight was the first show where he’d actually hit every note the way he was supposed to, and he was thrilled beyond compare. The proud looks he’d gotten from the guys and the way they’d hugged him had told him more than words could that they, too, were excited about his improvement.  Maybe he’d still messed up more than a few times on the dance moves, but, as long as his voice was finally falling into place, he was more than okay with slipping up a few times in his footwork.

Unfortunately, with all the energy running through his system, he had no way to release it.  Usually, he would’ve donned his mask and gone out to hunt the streets of Santa Fe, New Mexico, but, because the Backstreet tour was moving from Santa Fe on to Colorado Springs that night, he was stuck on his bus.

Glancing at his watch, he noted that there were still nearly fifteen minutes before they were scheduled to depart, and he wondered if AJ and Mac would make it back in time.  He hadn’t bothered to dissect why he’d felt so angry that AJ was taking Mac out, but he’d decided not to dwell on it.  Truth be told, he was jealous of the two of them.  There had once been a time that he and Leighanne would have done the exact same thing after a show and before they had to be back at the buses.

Now, Leighanne was gone, and he was stuck watching the…Home Shopping Network, he thought with a sad sigh.

The bus door opened and Mac bounded aboard and flashed a smile his way.  “I’m back, and just in time, too! Is Baylee asleep yet?”

“Yeah, he went to bed almost as soon as you left.  He wanted you to tuck him in, and I promised you would when you got back.” Brian was definitely jealous of her now when he saw how obviously happy she looked after her date.  He wanted to be that happy again, but the only way to do it was by bringing Leighanne back from the dead.  Since that was unlikely to happen, he would have to content himself with justice.

“Aww, that’s so cute. I’ll check in on him before I go to bed.” She smiled again before she headed towards the bunks in the back of the bus.  “I’ll see you in the morning, then?”

Brian shrugged and turned back to the television.  “Yeah, sure.  Good night.”

Mac frowned at his bitter tone and remembered the conversation she’d overheard the day before.  Not wanting to press, she shrugged it off and went back to find Baylee.  When she’d tucked his blankets around him and pressed a kiss to his forehead, she simply stood for a moment and watched him. If she ever had a child, she thought, she would want one just like Baylee Littrell. He was adorable, funny, and smart.  A ball of energy, she mused and brushed a hand over his tousled curls.  

One day, she thought wistfully before leaving him to go change and get ready for bed.

***

Mac tossed and turned for nearly an hour before realizing that she probably wouldn’t fall asleep any time soon.  The movements of the bus were keeping her up, and she sat up straight in bed, careful not to bump her head on the ceiling.  She hadn’t heard Brian come back to the bunks, and she wondered if he was still in front of the TV.  She hated being bored, but, other than working on the case, her only other option was to join him in front of the TV and risk having him snap at her.

Mr. Grumpy Pants, she thought disdainfully.  Well, he was just going to have to get over it for a little while.  Swinging her legs out of bed, she hopped down from the top bunk and walked towards the front of the bus.  

Brian was watching a late-night movie on HBO and trying hard not to blubber at the current scene.  He knew exactly how Kate felt and could sympathize with her.  After all, her sister was dead, she was now a single parent to her niece, and she covered up her pain with every other possible emotion, mostly, anger.  Yup, he knew exactly what she was going through.

“No Reservations! Oh, this movie was cute.”

He glanced up an instant before Mac plopped onto the couch next to him.  “You’re still awake?”

“Yeah.” She wiggled a bit, making herself comfortable.  Brian had to admit it was kinda cute the way she seemed to burrow herself into the cushions.  “I can’t entirely get used to the way the bus bumps up and down.  Oh, shhh. This is such a great scene!” Her eyes were glued to the screen.

Brian glanced back up at the movie, and, together, they watched the scene where Nick and Zoe baked pizzas in Kate’s meticulously organized kitchen.  He had to admit the way Nick made the dinner into an African safari adventure for mourning, ten-year-old Zoe was pretty touching.  

“Wasn’t that the cutest thing ever?” Mac sighed.  “Too bad movies never translate to real life.”

He frowned and shifted to look at her.  “What do you mean? I think it’s possible that Kate’s sister could have died.  This whole movie could have happened.”

“Yeah, right.” Mac snorted.  “Nick doesn’t exist.  A man like that would be snapped up so fast by any woman.  Hell, if I found myself a guy like that, I’d throw myself into his arms.”

“Really.” Brian’s brows lifted.  “He was a jerk to her in the beginning.  He totally didn’t understand the way she was feeling, and, now, he just wants to get her in bed.  That’s the kind of guy you want?”

Mac shook her head.  “Brian, you’re missing the point.  Nick knows what’s good for her.  He knows she’s hurting, but he’s trying to make her smile.”

“Oh, sure.  You can think that, but I prefer to see him for the real character he is.”

She lifted an eyebrow at his tone.  “Whoa, pal.  I didn’t realize you were really that angry at Nick.  Seriously, it’s just a movie.”

“But things like Kate’s sister’s death happen all the time! I can completely understand where she’s coming from with her anger.  She needs time to deal with it instead of having stupid Nick try to make it all better by playing games.” He huffed a little.  “Why can’t people just understand that, sometimes, when you’re grieving, you want to be able to just feel whatever you’re feeling instead of having everyone try to make it all better by taking your mind off of it?” He stopped, surprised at how far he’d flown off the handle.  They’d been talking about a movie, and, somehow, it had changed.

There was an awkward silence following his outburst, and Mac didn’t know what to say.  She was sure that, no matter what she did say, he’d blow up at her.  When she looked over at him, though, she could see the tears glistening in his eyes.  Her own eyes misted at how sad he looked, and she couldn’t help herself.

Reaching out a hand tentatively, she covered his hand with hers and squeezed a little.  Brian looked down at their hands, surprised, before looking up at her.  Then, he turned his hand over and linked their fingers, feeling comforted by the simple contact.

Neither one said a word as they watched the rest of the movie in silence.