- Text Size +
"You heard right. She just said, 'We need Kennedy.' I'm sure B knows the whole story, but...Kenn?"

"Hunh? Oh, right. Sorry. Um...Can I think about it?" She tossed her half-smoked cigarette to the side.

"If you need to. I'm just the messenger. I'll be at the Sheraton." I raised an eyebrow. "Angel's paying for us to stay, since we don't have a mainstay here yet."

"Gotcha. You got a number I can reach you at?" She handed me a piece of paper.

"That's the number to Buffy's room. Call when you decide. I gotta get back, though. Y'know...research and whatnot." I laughed.

"Once more, with feeling? Alright. I'll give her a call before the night's over." She nodded and started through the trees, and I started on my way.

"Kenn?" I turned around.

"Yeh?" She smiled a little.

"It's good seein' you." I smiled back.

"Same to you. See you later." She nodded again and we were both off. Thoughts were swimming in my head like crazy. Willow ASKED for me? But that didn't make any sense. WHY would she ask for me? I sighed when I realized the only way I'd find out was if I met up with the group.

I got back to my house and laid down with a huge headache. The whole reason for my going for a walk was to clear my head, not fog it up even more. I threw a pillow over my head, trying to get rid of the headache, and fell asleep before I even had a chance to get comfortable.

(((Kennedy's dream)))

I opened my eyes and looked around.

"This definitely is NOT where I fell asleep. Double you tee eff." I started walking down the street I was on and recognized the houses right away. I groaned and continued walking, hoping it might be different this time. So far I was 0 for 1. I started whisteling, hoping to change the atmosphere, but it didn't work. Then again, it was what, 3 in the morning? I grabbed my cell phone without realizing and dialed a number. When I heard the voice on the other end, I knew it was going to be all the same, through and through.

"Hello?" she said in a groggy voice.

"Uh...hi."

"Who is this?"

"It's, um..Kennedy." Silence. Boy, I was REAL good with the ladies. Oh yeah. Look at the swooning and falling to my feet. "M?"

"Yeah, I'm here. Kenn, do you know what time it is?" I pretended not to know.

"Oh, no. I hadn't realized. I was just...in town and thought I'd stop by. But, you know me. Silly o'clock in the morning is my afternoon kinda thing."

"Yeah, well." She sighed. "Anyway. Is everything okay?" I stopped walking and turned to face a set of houses.

"Yeah, everything's fine. I just thought I'd stop by, see how you were."

"At 3 in the morning."

"Yep." I was sure she could hear the smile in my voice. Anyone miles away could hear it. She sighed again. "You know, with all that sighing, you'd make a girl think you were annoyed."

"Not annoyed. And that was a yawn. Cuz, you know...I'm tired?"

"Oh, right. Well, um..I'll let you go back to sleep. I'm headed back towards town." She was quiet for a minute.

"Uh huh. Okay. Call me later."

"Okay. Goodnight."

"Night." Okay, so I lied. I was still standing right outside her house. I wasn't trying to be creepy. I knew that she knew I was there, but what she didn't know is that I knew that...Do you see why I'm always confused?

I walked across the street and into the backyard, to a set of sliding glass doors. I put on my best innocent smile when I saw her standing there.

"Back to town, huh. Funny, last I knew this was the suburbs."

"Well, you know, um...Right. So I lied. I just couldn't resist seeing you." She raised an eyebrow. "Because it's been so long. And I didn't notice the time when I called, but I figured since I was already down here I'd stop by anyway--"

"Kennedy."

"Yeah?"

"You're rambling." I caught myself mid-blush.

"Sorry." She smiled and moved out of the doorway, motioning with her hand for me to come in. I smiled back and walked in, grabbing a seat in the kitchen.

"Want something to drink?"

"Sure." She grabbed a couple waters and sat across from me. There was dead air between for about 10 minutes. Then she started saying my name over and over again. I looked at her, confused.

"KENNEDY!"

I snapped awake.

"Hunh? Wha--Faith?"

"Yo, dude. It's noon."

"Noon? What? It should only be--" I looked at the clock. "Oops."

"You had everyone worried, kid. You okay?" I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and sat up.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I guess I was just really tired. I got home, laid down, and BOOM. Unconscious Kennedy." She looked at me funny, trying to read me, then stood up.

"Pack your shit, kid." I scowled.

"Fiesty much?" She kept a straight face. "What's up? You're all serious. It's scary."

"Things got worse. C'mon."

Worse? Great.