- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So we have another chapter yay! The wedding is just in a few short chapters so I figured I'd add something a little different to the mix. Hope you all enjoy!
Chapter Thirty-One: Earshot

Alyssa sat at her computer furiously clicking, typing and scrolling as she read over her research and tweaked it every few seconds never being satisfied with the outcome. She sighed looking over to the clock seeing that it was well past three o’clock in the morning. She looked around the room rubbing her sore neck and tired eyes. She looked to the bed where Nick was passed out exhausted from the few weeks of touring they’d been on already.

She sighed and returned to her computer opening up her email. She saw a note she’d gotten earlier from Mindy the wedding planner and she decided to reply to her question about linens and other things they wanted to have at the hotel they were getting married at. She thought to herself how ingenious their plan was going to be, to fool everyone into thinking they were going to a party when really it’s a wedding. The paparazzi were already on the case trying to figure out the exact date and time of the wedding and where it was located. It amused her to no end that they thought the wedding was going to be such an extravagant affair.

She figured though that to most people it was rather fancy but really it was more low-key than anything for her and Nick. Just their friends, family in beautiful Hawaii for a few days to get married and spend time with the people they both had made friendships with over the years. Alyssa closed her email and reluctantly went back to her research hoping that if she just got over this one significant hump of hers that she’d be golden for a while until the next one came along. It wasn’t like it was a particularly hard subject for her but at the same time using educational principles in the application of the stories she loved the most was what was causing her so much trouble. Sometimes she really cursed herself for getting so involved with her topics as to even take on a PhD program. But she knew that it was a good thing for her, and a good choice she made when she’d been grieving so much in the past.

Getting frustrated and feeling a migraine approaching she cradled her head in her hands and massaged her temples. A moment later she felt two hands on her shoulders massaging the tension from them. She jumped slightly having not heard him leave the bed. “Did I wake you?” She asked softly feeling him lean down so that their faces were level next to each other.

“Come back to bed, your research will be here in the morning.” He said dismissing her question all together.

“But I need to get this done, if I do then it’ll make the rest of my dissertation that much easier to write.” She replied but Nick didn’t hear any of it. He closed her laptop and plucked her tall athletic frame from the chair.

“Yes but you’ll be able to think more clearly if you get some rest.” He countered laying her on the bed then going to the other side getting back into bed himself. Alyssa cuddled herself up to Nick feeling a slight chill from the cold sheets on her side of the bed. Nick welcomed her next to him wrapping his arms around her as they both rested.

“You’re too good sometimes you know that?” She said reminding him of how much she appreciated the way he tried to look after her.

He grinned and kissed her temple. “Just because I care is all.”

“I know…” She said mid-yawn.

“You’ve been pulling a lot of these all-nighters lately. You need your rest just as much as I do.” He chuckled and held her tighter as he felt her body begin to give over to her exhaustion, Nick following her just moments later.

The following morning…

Alyssa woke up slowly groaning as the migraine that had merely started the night before came flooding back with ten times more force that it had originally. She sat up slowly feeling her head spin slightly from the terrible pain. She shook her head and sighed, a hot shower would make everything better she assured herself.

She got up from the now empty bed figuring Nick had an early morning meeting to get to. She made her way into the bathroom seeing a note for her smiling that her suspicions had been right about his meeting. She shivered slightly and looked around not feeling a breeze from the ventilation. She sighed figuring it was just the cold tile under her bare feet. Alyssa started the water letting the bathroom steam up a little before she stripped and stepped underneath the hot spray.

After her long shower she felt much better, still had the migraine but the intensity surely had decreased. She got herself dressed choosing just a simple jeans and long sleeve shirt and knee high boots over her jeans. Wanting to get out of the hotel for the day she called Kellie’s room getting no answer. She sighed and got up thinking maybe all the girls went down to the venue to hang out during sound check or maybe even did a little sightseeing without her.

Shaking her head at herself she sighed and looked at her hands. She’d been a little anti-social the past week since she was really beginning to focus on juggling her time between career, school, the wedding and Nick. She felt bad knowing that if it weren’t for her dissertation taking up so much of her time that she’d be more inclined to spend much more time with her friends. Getting up from her dejected mood she moved to the door grabbing her jacket intent on seeing some of the sights by herself despite her migraine.

Alyssa went down to the lobby waving to the tiny crowd of fans outside but kept on walking as she moved down the street aimlessly looking for something to occupy her time with. She walked down through the crowded streets finding a museum just a few blocks from the hotel. She walked in paying her admission price and immersed herself in the quiet somber artwork.

Meanwhile just a few blocks away at the venue Nick checked his watch hoping rehearsal would be over soon. He wanted to see if he could make it back to the hotel to check on her. See how her research was going. He had told the girls not to bother her so that she could spend the day finishing up the research she needed to. He knew she probably was wondering where everyone was or she was already busily studying and trying to get over the latest hurdle that her dissertation had thrown at her. He wondered a lot how she was able to handle all of that.

Even back to his solo tour when she was not only being his best friend and confidante she also handled everything as his personal assistant, on top of college at the same time. Her time management skills astounded him sometimes.

He smiled looking over at AJ and Kellie seeing how he beamed with pride at her and then leaned over to kiss her. “Will you two cut it out.” He chided playfully acting like he was going to throw his mic at him.

AJ snorted and stuck out his tongue, “Like you’d be any better if Liss were here. By the way why is she still at the hotel?”

Nick shrugged and sighed, “She’s been pulling all-nighters lately trying to get more of her research done. I figured I’d let her sleep in and then work for the day before the concert tonight. Which I’m hoping to get out of here soon to see if she’s up for going tonight she was feeling kind of out of it when I made her go to bed last night.” He replied seeing Alyssa come by the front of the stage. He smiled and got down going over to her. “I didn’t think you were going to come…” He said wrapping his arm around her noticing her body was shivering just slightly, possibly from the cold weather outside he thought.

Alyssa shrugged and smiled and proceeded to tell him that she’d gotten bored at the bookstore she went to. “…So I decided I’d drop by since everyone ditched me today.” She joked making Kellie’s eyes widen.

“I told you she wasn’t going to work Nick!” She exclaimed coming over and hugging her noting her pale clammy complexion. “Sweetie are you feeling all right.”

Alyssa shrugged and sighed, “I’m not feeling very well my head has been killing me forever and now my ear has been ringing for over an hour.”

Kellie took a good look at her and felt her forehead with the back of her hand her eyes widening. “Ali you’re burning up. Why are you here you should be in bed resting!” She exclaimed.

Nick felt her forehead only to have his hand smacked away. “Stop it, I’m fine. Just a little off today is all.” She said as she moved away from the railing and stumbled slightly her head feeling a rush. “Whoa….” She said steadying herself.

At that moment Kellie swung into action. “Okay seriously you’re going back to the hotel and straight to bed.” She stated taking Alyssa’s arm. Both Nick and Alyssa began to protest but for two very different reasons. “No, you’re going back to the hotel and you need to finish up rehearsals and sound check I’ll call you when I get her back to the hotel.” Kellie replied sternly. She’d remembered growing up with Alyssa that when she got sick the only way to get over it was to just put her in bed for a few days and not let her do anything but rest and then she’d be fine.

Nick relented but followed them out to the front where they hailed a taxi. He helped Kellie get Alyssa into the cab and sighed. “Call or text me with how she is…” He said simply and Kellie nodded in response.

“She’s be okay just when she gets like this she needs her rest and all these all-nighters she’s been pulling lately has messed up her immune system. She used to get like this a lot when we were kids and she didn’t want to slow down.”

Nick smiled and nodded as she got into the cab. He watched the cab drive off in the direction of the hotel. He sighed shaking his head and walked back into the venue wishing he could have gone with them but figured he wouldn’t be much help if any at all if he had.

Once they’d arrived at the hotel Kellie quickly ushered Alyssa up the elevator to hers and Nick’s suite “Okay Missy, strip down and get in some sweats and a tee-shirt you’re going to bed.” Kellie instructed.

Alyssa rolled her eyes, “But I’m all right!” She said rather futilely her head hurt about twice as much as before and she even found herself straining to hear what Kellie was telling her. She went to get up from bending over her suitcase and felt all the blood drain from her head very quickly. With a hand to her head she sunk to a nearby chair and breathed deeply putting her head between her knees to stop her head from spinning.

Kellie gave her a look and sighed, “All right my ass. Come on…” She said handing her the clothing to change into. “You’ll feel better if you rest for a while.” She cajoled trying to get Alyssa to just get into bed so she can make a swift recovery.

Alyssa merely nodded and changed from her position on the chair. Once she changed Kellie helped her friend up and helped her into bed despite her belly getting in the way a few times. “Tell Nick I love him…” Alyssa said semi-sleepily as she watched Kellie reach for her phone.

“I will, I’m going to go to the pharmacy too, to get you some Tylenol for that fever and a few essentials.” She said figuring she’d help Nick out even more by getting some things for him at the pharmacy that would help him monitor her for the night after the concert.

Late that night…

Nick quietly entered the hotel room looking around seeing that Kellie had fallen asleep on the couch in the living room. He grinned and nudged her shoulder jarring her from her sleep. She sat up slowly rubbing her hands over her face and flattening out her messy locks. “Hey you’re back.” She said softly smiling up at her friend.

“You didn’t have to stay with her…” He said nodding appreciatively at the kind gesture.

“I got some stuff at the pharmacy. She’s got an ear infection, I already called Mary and asked her what to get, got some ear drops, a thermometer and Tylenol for the fever and her discomfort. She said if she gets worse to call her before taking her to a hospital.” Kellie said as she struggled to stand and motioned to the things on the coffee table.

“Has she woken up at all or eaten anything all day?”

“No she’s just slept, she woke up a couple times looking for you but other than that no.” Kellie grabbed her bag and went to the door seeing Nick already making his way into the bedroom. She smiled and left the two of them alone.

Nick walked into the bedroom seeing his fiancée buried beneath the comforter, her long dark hair matted to her forehead and  her skin had a light sheen of sweat on it. He sighed hoping that would be an indication that her fever was breaking. Getting an idea he called the concierge desk and ordered up room service. As he set the receiver down he saw something out of the corner of his eye, a basket of spa things, bath bombs, soothing body wash to soothe her achy muscles. He smiled seeing all of the things that Kellie must have picked up or ordered from the hotel as help for her recovery. He waited for the room service to arrive and once it did he went over to her gently taking her hand in his and tracing the lines of her hands, the veins, all the way to the scars on her wrist. Slowly with a low groan Alyssa awoke from her coma-like state.

“Hi…” She said her voice raspy from not being used for the past few hours.

He smiled and leaned over pressing his lips to her forehead. “Come on I brought you food. Sit up, I’m going to check your temp.” He said getting up finding the thermometer.

Alyssa sat up and laughed to herself in her hazy state it made her laugh how he was playing nurse to her illness. “Take my temp eh?” She asked as he sat down. “Sounds like some line from a cheesy porno like Night Nurses from Jersey or something.” She said cringing at her own laughter hurting her head.

Nick snickered and handed her the thermometer, which she stuck under her tongue. “At least you still have your sense of humor.” He quipped just as the thermometer beeped. He took it from her and looked at it as he cleaned it off seeing that it was still a relatively high fever. “Kel said she called your mom and to take ear drops and Tylenol for the fever.”

“Ear drops, should have known I’d get an ear infection. Fuck..I thought I wasn’t going to get these anymore since I had tubes in my ears as a baby.” She remarked.

“You did?” He said not knowing that about her.

“Yeah, had em twice. Mom told me that I would get horrendous ear infections as an infant, just prone to em I guess but the tubes came out when I was seven and this is the first ear infection I’ve had since I was like two.” She said holding onto her earlobe to relieve some of the pressure in her ear canal. “Totally sucks but not contagious thankfully. I’ll be okay in a few days.” She replied wincing when Nick’s blackberry went off on the night stand.

He grabbed it answering it quickly to stop the ringtone from hurting her head anymore. “Hello?”

“How is she?” Mary asked on the other end of the phone half the world away in Palo Alto. Nick chuckled a little at her apparent concern for her daughter.

“She’s doing a little better, still has a nasty fever, but she’s awake and taking her meds like a good girl. And I’m going to make her eat some soup and take a bath then back to bed.” He said giving Alyssa a stern look showing he meant business about what he was telling her mother.

Mary smiled into the phone. “Thank you, for taking care of her. I wish I could make it out sooner to help but I’m still in meetings and such to learn the curriculum at least I’ll be on spring break for a week in like two weeks. She said she wanted to find her dress then, she should be well enough by then.”

“Yeah she’s pretty strong. Listen Mary, I’m gonna let you go, if I need anything I’ll give you a call okay? I gotta make sure she does what she needs to get better.” He said ringing off with her just a few moments later.

He brought the tray over to her letting her eat the soup he’d ordered for her. “Thank you…” She said as she finished it up. “I think I’ll be okay in a day or two.” She replied.

“Yeah you said that already…” He retorted helping her up and carrying her into the bathroom.

She laughed a little still a little delirious with a fever. “Look at you being all chivalrous.” She said stopping to giggle at herself and mouthing the word chivalrous for a few moments. “Have you ever noticed how odd that word is? Chivalry sounds a little like shrivel…like a shriveled old maid.” She said ranting nonsense.

Nick bit his lip holding back his laughter for a moment at her ridiculous little rant. “Good thing you’re not in public right now you’d stick out like a sore thumb…” He retorted as he started up her bath.

“That’s another thing…” She said as she stripped off the sweats and socks leaving her there in just a tee-shirt and her underwear. “How does one stick out like a sore thumb? Do you just see a thumb and go wow, that baby is sore…!” She exclaimed making Nick crack up.

“Seriously babe, you have far too many thoughts.” He replied as he helped her get into the tub once she’d finished stripping off her clothing. He left the room for a moment changing his clothes into a pair of shorts and a tee-shirt. He sat on the edge of the tub and watched as she relaxed in the deep Jacuzzi tub.

She opened her eyes and looked over at him and gave him a lazy smile. “Thank you…for the food and the bath…much needed.” She whispered softly. He smiled back at her at flicked a little water at her face making her jump and then pout at him. He leaned over and kissed her slowly making her smile as she broke the kiss. “It’s a really good thing I’m not contagious.”

A few days later…

“I did not!” Alyssa shrieked half laughing at the conversation and half flushed with embarrassment. “No, that’s not right I couldn’t have said that and not remembered it.”

Nick chuckled and looked over at everyone else. “Oh you so did. The Night Nurses from Jersey comment still makes me laugh.” He replied snickering at how nonchalantly she’d delivered the line. What made it even more hilarious was the fact that she had been so out of it from the fever she’d had.

Alyssa shook her head, “Mock me all you want I am never going to believe you unless you have cold hard proof then you sir are a dirty liar.” She said scoffing. She knew that he wouldn’t really lie about her delirious comments but at the same time she just didn’t want to feel the embarrassment that came along with accepting the fact that she was really out of it.

Nick stretched and sighed a little his laughter subsiding as a cramp in his ribs began to form. “I am glad that you’re feeling better though.”

“Thanks…” She said cracking a small smirk in his direction. “I can’t believe it’s already March. Almost 90% of the guest list has RSVP’d to the wedding which is nice to know everyone is happy to come party with us. You still haven’t told me whether or not you want to invite your mother…” Alyssa said turning to Nick.

He sighed and looked around. Deep within himself he knew that he wanted her there. But after the falling out they had the previous year he didn’t think that it would be wise to bring her to his wedding, where she could do or say anything to try and ruin the day for them.

Kellie sat up and got a stern look on her face. “Why would he anyways? I mean after all she put you both through last year you actually want her at your wedding.”

Alyssa sighed and shrugged. “It’s not my call. And I don’t want to force him to be at odds with her forever. It’s Nick’s decision if he wants to invite her if at all.”

“But after last year you’d let her in at your wedding?” AJ asked as everyone else looked at Alyssa and Nick questioningly.

Alyssa took a breath and gathered her thoughts, “Jane and I aren’t on the best of terms, and I’m a little biased in the situation because of everything, thus I’ve taken myself out of the decision to invite her or not. It’s up to Nick. I can be an adult and be warm and civil to her.”

Nick shrugged, “I want her there, just because you know she’s my mother. I haven’t forgiven her for the shit she did last year but I know now that there has to be boundaries if I want to try to have a relationship with her again. I don’t want to deprive our future kids from knowing a grandparent because we don’t talk. I mean they already have one grandparent out of the equation by uncontrollable circumstances.” Nick said looking over at Alyssa who sighed and looked at her hands for a moment then back over at him. “I mean wouldn’t it be wrong to do that? No matter how shitty she has been…I need to be a bigger person and move on or it’s just going to eat at me forever.”

Brian smiled and patted Nick on the shoulder. “I agree. I mean I don’t think you should just be like all is forgiven but the fact that you’re willing to make the effort when and if she wants to make amends with you then that’s great. I think inviting her is a good idea, just you know make sure she understands that if she causes anything that we’ll be the first to have her hauled out of there.”

Nick chuckled and shrugged a little. “I don’t know if I will though. I mean I want to but at the same time I don’t want what I want to ruin everything.” He said referring to his desire to be closer to his family and how it had only pushed Alyssa farther from him in the process.

Alyssa took his hand and gave him a reassuring glance. “Don’t worry I don’t think any of us are going to let that happen again.”

Days later in Florida…

Jane shielded her eyes as she walked out to her mailbox, the bright afternoon sun blaring down on Florida a few of her small dogs nipping at her feet as she walked with them. Once she reached her mailbox she grabbed the pile of mail grimacing at the various envelopes from bill collectors, coupons and came across a simple off-white envelope addressed to her and in the sender portion of the upper left hand corner read Nick’s address in LA.

All of her thoughts now focused on this envelope and what it may contain. She knew that Nick was getting married soon but didn’t think that was the cause for this note she assumed to herself as she made her way into her small kitchen. She set down the mail and stared at the envelope ripping open the seam and pulling out a small stack. She looked at it seeing a roundtrip plane ticket to Hawaii that looked dated for mid-May. Wasn’t that when Nick and Alyssa were planning their wedding for? Even more intrigued she looked at the simple ivory colored card with deep purplish red flowers all over the front. She opened it seeing the same theme inside as well with writing to match.

                                                                       The honor of your presence is requested
                                                                             At the celebration and wedding of
                                                                                       Nickolas Gene Carter
                                                                                                   And
                                                                                    Alyssa Mackenzie Monroe
                                                                                 On May 15th and 16th, 2008
                                                                                  At the Four Seasons Hotel
                                                                on the Kona-Kohala Coast of the Big Island of Hawaii
                                                                                     Casual dress requested
                                                                     Please RSVP no later than April 10th, 2008


Jane smiled slightly and then looked at the dates on the plane ticket; May 15th, she noted and looked at the invitation again. She smiled wider seeing that he wanted her there before the wedding, to participate in the festivities. She had to admit the idea shocked her since he hadn’t spoken to her since the fight at the hospital. Maybe he’d come around and decided to forgive her. She did have to admit she felt guilty for what had happened and the mean spirited words she’d said to them both and now maybe this was her chance to make things right. Taking a deep breath, she picked up her phone and dialed her son to tell him she would most certainly make it to his wedding and the festivities the day before.