- Text Size +

Chapter 6

 

“And we’re back with Jack and Linda in the morning, here at KISS 109.7, it is 9:30 Tuesday February 21st and we are live with the Backstreet Boys who have been kind enough to join us this morning. Thanks for coming so early in the morning you guys,” Jack smiled.

“Thanks for having us, and we want to say hello to all the fans listening,” Kevin stated.

“Our pleasure trust me. Now the guys are gonna be with us for a couple of hours today, hanging out and talking about their album and the tour that you guys just wrapped up last month I believe right?” Linda questioned.

“That’s right, we just wrapped up the North American leg and we’re kinda taking it easy. Everyone’s taking a little down time, working on some side projects and all before we head back in the studio in a couple of months,” Brian announced.

“Now I’d heard Brian, that you are going to be recording a solo album,” Jack questioned.

“That’s right, I’ve got a pop gospel album that I’m currently in the midst of recording. Now that we have a bit of time off, I’m gonna be focusing on getting that finished up and released.”

Nick listened as Brian spoke, or tried to rather, but he’d been having problems focusing anyway. He hardly got any sleep the night before and it was too early to be up and thinking. Besides he knew all this already, knew about Brian’s album and Kevin going back on Broadway and everything. He just didn’t want to be there, he wanted to be home in bed.

He stifled a yawn, taking a sip of his coffee.

“Now we’ve received hundreds of emails with questions for you guys, here’s one from Jamela from Hackensack New Jersey, she writes ‘Hey guys, I was just wondering do any of you plan on doing any acting in movies or in TV?’”

“Well Nick is the one who’s done majority of the acting here…” Brian chuckled.

“Yeah, well I don’t really have anything planned at this point. I’ve received a few scripts here and there, but nothing that’s really caught my eye,” Nick explained, stifling another yawn and taking another large gulp of coffee.

“There ya go Jamela. Ok, here’s another from Amanda from Bangor Maine, she writes “Hey guys! I was just wondering if AJ, Howie and Nick are single? Thanks and I love the new album!’”

Nick stilled, his gaze scanning the room nervously. Him and Veronica hadn’t discussed if they were ready to go public with their relationship, he didn’t care, but he didn’t want Veronica to feel blindsided by everything that followed.

“I’m currently single, working on my sobriety, I’m not really looking per say, but if I happen to meet someone then ya know,” AJ answered chuckling. “I’m trying to keep my life as simple as possible for a while.”

“Ok, Howie?” Linda asked. “Got anyone special you’re seeing?”

“Not right now no, but unlike AJ, I am looking, so if anyone out there is interested…” Howie laughed.

“Oh no, don’t say that, we’re gonna start getting calls and emails about it,” Linda chuckled.

“Ooops, sorry!” Howie laughed.

Nick shifted uncomfortably in his seat, it usually wasn’t such a big deal, but this time the situation had changed. They hadn’t been together but a couple of days, no where near enough time to work everything out.

“That just leaves you Nick. How bout it? You seeing anyone?”

He hesitated a split second, casting a quick glance at Kevin who in turn gave him a slight nod.

“I am currently dating.”

“Ok, so is that dating as in seeing someone or dating as in nothing committed and you’re still a single guy?” Jack prodded.

“I don’t know that I’d say I’m currently single…”

He was going to botch this up big time.

“So then, you’re dating as in you have a girlfriend.”

Nick smiled suddenly, “I’m dating.”

“Alright alright, sorry Amanda, I tried to get a clear answer for ya. So we have two definite singles and Nick is dating.”

He chuckled, “ Well Amanda asked if we were dating, and I did answer, I am dating.”

“True true,” Jack laughed.

Nick let out a breath, he’d barely got out of that one. It didn’t matter though, fans were gonna think what they wanted to, and he hadn’t flat out denied that he was single because it would’ve been a lie. He knew the truth would come out, but he also knew that he needed to speak to Veronica about it first. He’d call her that night he decided.

A couple of hours later, they made their way out the building and into the waiting van.

“So how come you didn’t say anything?” Kevin asked once they were all seated.

Nick shrugged, “I wanted to talk to Veronica. We haven’t really had the chance to go over everything. We only became official a few days ago and there’s still things that need to be ironed out. I didn’t want to just put it out there without her being aware of it first.”

“People are gonna be talking Nick, I get that you were trying to be elusive, but ya have to admit, it was a pretty thin response.”

Nick gave Kevin a bland look.

“It’s true Nick, you hesitated, fans are gonna jump all over that,” AJ grinned.

“I know I know, but I didn’t want to lie, I’m not ashamed or anything, I just don’t want to like…ya know…”

“Understandable, though it really isn’t anyone’s business,” Brian sighed.

“It’s not, and screw it, let everyone talk, I don’t care. I’m not gonna confirm anything without letting Veronica know and discussing it with her first.”

“Good idea Nick, wow, I’m glad you’re being mature about this,” Howie smiled.

“Gee, thanks Howie.”

“Well it’s just we all know you can be a bit reckless sometimes.”

“He’s got a point man,” AJ nodded.

“Whatever, I just wanna make sure she’s ready and prepared for what happens after. I don’t want to hide her, but her safety and peace of mind comes first,” Nick stated.

Kevin leaned over suddenly, wrapping an arm around him, “I’m proud of you Nick.”