- Text Size +

Chapter 9

 

“That’s it for today Nick, I’ll see you next week.”

“Thanks, see ya,” Nick called, making his way out of the office.

Somehow Nick had managed to get his first appointment with his therapist in the same week and had just completed his first meeting. It was easier to talk than he’d been expecting. It felt good to talk to someone who was unbiased and would give him advice straight up.

He made his way out of the building and over to his car, sliding in. Making a quick decision, he pulled out of parking lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So wow, to what do I owe the honor of this visit?”

Nick rolled his eyes, “I just wanted to chill.”

“Relax Nick, I’m just teasing,” Brian grinned.

Nick watched as Baylee toddled around with his toy trucks, bringing one over and handing it to him. Nick took the truck with a smile, setting it on the table in front of him and rolling it back and forth.

“Seriously Nick, what’s up? You alright?”

He sighed heavily and slumped back against the couch.

“Yeah I’m alright, just, I miss Veronica is all.”

Brian gave him a small smile, “You really care about her huh?”

“I love her man, she’s all I think about. I want everything to be right, I want to be able to be with her, I don’t want her to be worried about anything.”

“But she is.”

“Yeah, I mean, she hesitated so much before. She’s so worried about what others will think and how people are going to treat me.”

“Why? Because she’s fan?”

“That and well…she’s got this idea in her head from her Dad, that we won’t work because she’s under the impression that she’s not what society says is acceptable for me to date,” Nick frowned.

“Huh?”

“Ya know, she’s not tall and…and…ugh I don’t wanna say it, it’s just so utterly stupid.”

“Oooh I get it now,” Brian nodded.

“People are gonna talk, I know it. Fans are gonna find out and they’re gonna be brutal Brian, I don’t know what to do. I don’t know how to protect her from that,” Nick whispered.

“Nick you and I both know you can’t, none of us can. We can tell our wives and girlfriends to avoid the websites and everything else, but it doesn’t matter. People are going to say what they want to and ultimately achieve their goal, which is to hurt the intended victim.”

“But I don’t want her to be hurt, I don’t want her to regret doing this, I don’t want her to regret us, I love her.”

“Aww Nick I know you do man, but Veronica is also going to have to realize and understand what’s going to happen the minute word gets out. Have you guys talked about that?”

“Yeah, last night actually. We agreed to go public, she says fans would rather hear it from me than have rumors spread, I’m guessing she’s right cause she is a fan. She says she’s ready but…I know she’s scared and I’m scared for her. She’s got all these things about herself and I’m afraid of what this might do to her.”

Brian frowned.

“Am I being selfish? Asking her to do all this because I want to be with her?”

“Nah you’re not being selfish Nick, it’s not selfish to want to be with your girlfriend.”

“Yeah, but at what cost?”

“You just have to be careful, more careful than usual. Your relationship as a whole isn’t usual, and from what you’re saying about Veronica, you’ve got to be even more cautious.”

Nick sighed, “I hope I wasn’t wrong in doing this.”

“Nick you have every right to be happy, you have every right to date and be with the woman you love. Don’t let society or fans keep you from being happy.”

He nodded, “I hope Veronica’s ready.”

“Just be there for her Nick.”

“Don’t worry, I will.”