- Text Size +
Story Notes:
My first try at fan fiction and a response to March Story Challenge (three words under 2000 lmao). It's a little plotless, but more of a glimpse into a certain time period. Enjoy!
“How come his hands are so cold?”

“Probably because he’s not moving around Nicky, he’ll be fine.”

“Pfft, that’s sure as hell not what the doctor said.” AJ was angry. He had been sitting in the chair by the window with his arms crossed and his sunglasses on since they had arrived at the hospital that afternoon, it was now 10pm.

“AJ c’mon, not while the kid is in here, okay?” Kevin scolded.

Nick took his eyes off of Brian’s hand and focused on the little boy sitting in Kevin’s lap. He smiled slightly as he noticed Baylee was starting to fade. Kristin and Leigh had taken Baylee’s distraught mother down for some food before she passed out.

Nick had been shocked when Leighanne called him first. The two of them never had the best relationship but when he ran into the waiting room, Leighanne threw herself into his arms before he even knew what was going on. He just let her sob, even though he was terrified that she was crying like that because Brian had died in surgery or something. He had noticed Baylee worriedly watching his mother, and he didn’t want the kid getting scared. Having watched his own mother fall apart time and time again, Nick knew how scary that could be for a child. Baylee had since relaxed though, and was pulling at the little whiskers on the stuffed animal he had brought with him.

Kevin had calmed down considerably as well. When he first came bursting into the waiting room, Nick almost thought they were going to have to sedate him. It had been a long time since Nick had seen Kevin in big brother action and for a moment he wished he could still see it everyday, that Kevin was still with them everyday. In all honesty it had been a rough album cycle without him.

Looking at Baylee now, he had never seen the little boy so quiet and worried. But even Nick was scared to look at Brian, all the tubes and machines and how pale he looked just added to the danger of the whole situation. Leighanne had told him what happened, but he still didn’t understand it; they called it a torn aorta, and the symptoms were like that of a heart attack.

Nick was originally shocked by the ailment; how many times was his friend’s heart going to fail him like this? For the first time since walking into that room Nick looked up from Brian’s hand to his face. He was still sweating, but it was a cold clammy sweat, a sick sweat, and he was pasty white with dark circles under his eyes.

He didn’t look good.

Nick noticed moisture blurring his vision, and tried to blink it away.

He jumped slightly when he felt a tug on his shirt-sleeve, but smiled as Baylee raised his arms up for Nick to pluck him off the ground into his lap.

“My Daddy said that he wanted you to come over for dinner tonight.”

Nick’s brow furrowed, “He did, when did he say that?”

“This morning, when we were eating breakfast, I had ducky charms!”

“Lucky charms, B.” Nick corrected.

“Yeah. I was really excited you were coming over, but then Daddy said that he wasn’t feeling well and he’d call you later.”

“Yeah, your daddy must have been feelin’ pretty bad, huh?”

“Yep, but it’s okay that you didn’t get to come over.”

Nick looked confused, “Why’s that?”

“Because I got to see you anyway!” Baylee smiled up at Nick, but Nick couldn’t find the strength to smile back. All he wanted to do was cry, but instead he pulled Baylee tighter and kissed the top of his head.

“We’re all here now B.”

“Daddy would like that, how come it’s taking so long for him to wake up though?”

Nick closed his eyes at Baylee’s innocence; he only wished that he was allowed to be that way too, “He’s just… waiting for the right time Baylee, that’s all.” I hope.

Nick heard sniffling and looked up to find Kevin wiping his face. Silence followed for awhile after that. Half an hour later Nick was still clutching Brian’s hand and now holding a sleeping Baylee.

The shrill ring from Howie’s cell phone broke the silence and suddenly the whole room was thrown into chaos. Howie walked outside to take the call, while in walked the girls. Leighanne looked as bad as her husband, but smiled when she saw her sleeping child. She moved behind Nick’s chair, touching both his and Baylee’s heads before moving towards her husband. She ran her hand through his hair a few times to fix it before bending down to kiss him on the forehead; the tears from her cheeks running off onto his.

She stood up strong, but quickly crumpled into Kristin’s warm embrace. Once Leighanne had collected herself she announced that she needed to head home, she had to get Brian’s parents in the morning.

Nick stood up and placed the sleeping boy into her arms, giving her a quick hug and a kiss before she started to organize plans with Leigh.

“Would you like me to stay with you tonight, help you with Baylee?”

“You know we could take Baylee, honey, if it’s easier for you.”

“Thanks Kristin, but I need this little one with me tonight.” Leighanne said, Kristin nodded in understanding.

“ If you want to come over Leigh that would be nice, I really appreciate the offer, both of you.”

Everyone said their goodbyes, and Leighanne lingered one last time at the doorway before walking out behind Leigh.

Kristin kissed her husband on the cheek, “I’m going to head home and pick up Mason, you gonna stay here?”

“For a little bit, then I’ll get a ride with one of these guys.” He kissed her back.

“Okay. Call me if there is any change, hang in there boys, he’ll make it through.” She pat AJ’s shoulder and looked across the bed at Nick with a smile before walking out, nearly running into Howie.

“Where’d everybody go?”

“Home D.” AJ said.

“Not Leigh, she doesn’t have the car keys.”

“She went with Leighanne to their house.” Nick found it strangely amusing that she didn’t tell Howie where she was going.

“Oh, well how are you getting home?” He asked pointing to Kevin.

“One of you guys.” Kevin laughed.

Silence filled the room again as Howie sat back down in his spot by the door. Nick turned his attention back towards Brian, tightening his grip and leaning over the rail close to Brian’s face.

“C’mon Rok, time to wake up.”

Nothing.

“Frick, we’re all here.”

“It’s not that easy Nicky.” Kevin interrupted.

“I know. I was hopin’ it would work out like those fan fictions do.” Nick said, leaning back in he chair.

AJ laughed out loud and Howie rolled his eyes, Kevin raised an eyebrow, “What in the holy hell are you talking about?”

“You know in fan fiction about us, and those medical drama ones, there’s always some magic word that instantly brings one of us out of a coma the first time it’s said. Just thought I’d try it.”

“Should it scare me that you’re relating this to fan fiction?”

“No Kevin.”

“Don’t tell me you still read that stuff Nick.” AJ scoffed.

“Don’t act like you weren’t readin’ with me AJ!” Nick shot back.

“Alright, enough, we need to talk about some things here.” Kevin explained, “First of all I told Leighanne earlier that one of us would stay with Brian tonight. I’m more than happy to do that if –”

“I’ll do it.” Nick said. “I want to stay with Bri if that’s okay with everybody.”

“Of course it’s okay Nicky.” Howie smiled tiredly.

“What time are Brian’s parents getting here?” AJ asked moving onto the edge of the bed by Brian’s feet, putting a hand on his brother’s leg.

“Around seven I think, I’m probably gonna come back around eight.”

AJ just nodded at Kevin’s response looking toward the head of the bed. “What are the odds of him comin’ out of this okay?”

“He’s going to be fine AJ as long as nothing goes wrong. He did well in surgery and they’re just waiting for him to wake up now.”

At that question Nick felt himself tearing up again, there was no way Nick could lose Brian now, no way. Howie must have notice Nick’s fight against tears, because he was suddenly behind his little brother rubbing his shoulders in comfort.

“He’s going to be fine you two, okay? Try not to worry so much.” AJ and Nick nodded but they knew they would anyway.

Howie pat Nick’s shoulders, “Well in that case I think I’m going to head out, you going with me Kev, or AJ?”

Kev said AJ and Howie nodded, moving in close rubbing Brian’s shoulder, he sighed then turned towards the others, “I’ll see you guys tomorrow then, get some sleep Nicky.”

They watched him leave then turned back to the situation at hand. Kevin stood up and AJ took that as a cue to start saying his goodbyes.

“Now Nick,” Kevin said, putting on his jacket, “I want you to call me as soon as something happens okay? Good or bad.”

“I know Kev, I know.”

“Just makin’ sure.” While AJ was still with Brian, Kevin came to the other side of the bed. “Are you sure you’re going to be okay by yourself?”

“Yes Kevin, I’m a big boy now.”

Kevin sighed at the sarcasm but pulled Nick close and kissed the top of his head. “Take care of him Nick.”

“I will Kev.”

While Kevin leaned over to talk to Brian, AJ headed toward the door, “If anything…”

“I know, I’ll call you.”

“Night Kaos, tell Kev I needed a smoke.”

When Kevin was done he stood up, “He really needs to stop smoking.”

“Well now you have a whole car ride to talk about that.”

Kevin sighed, “I guess. Hey, get some sleep baby.”

“I will. Hey what’s his doctor’s name, in case I need to talk to someone?”

“Dr. Hanan.”

Nick paused for a moment, “Like, Britney’s boyfriend?”

Kevin rolled his eyes, “That’s Adnan Nick.”

Nick snorted holding back laughter, “You actually know his name?”

“Shut up.”

“Ha! You hear that B-rok? Your cousin has put his retirement to good use, catching up on his GOSSIP!”

“Shut up!” Kevin shouted as he walked out into the hallway.

Nick smiled in the silence, finally having some time to himself. He watched the TV briefly, and studied the nurse when she came in for one last check for the night. He never once let go of Brian’s hand.

When he started to nod off, he stirred and pulled his chair closer towards the bed. “Look Bri, I ain’t good at this but you…you got to promise me something. You have to wake up.”

With no response he rested his head against the rail before looking at Brian again, “Please buddy, you have to beat this okay? You’ve done it before, but you got a kid now. I know I wasn’t there before, and I’m so…I’m sorry for that,” Nick was whispering now, “But I’m here now, always. But you’ve got to keep up your end, so promise me Frick, promise you’ll come out on top.”

Nick waited. So long so, that his body relaxed, his eyelids fell, and his head came to rest on the mattress. But right on the verge of black, he felt a finger twitch in his hand. He opened his eyes and saw the slight movement again.

Nick smiled.

While it was no handshake, it was enough for Nick to know that Brian had heard him and had made the promise. “ Now if only you could keep up your end when we make bets.” Nick yawned closing his eyes, “We’ll work on that in the morning though.”