- Text Size +
You know, I'd tell you all about the rest of the counseling session but it's pointless, because everyone clammed up and wouldn’t say anything. The counselor was pushing for everyone to talk about their feelings, but Mason and I were the only ones who really said anything. I read a few lines from dad's journal, about how stressed he was because of Kevin's actions and how much he wished their relationship could go back to like it was, when they were younger. My uncle Kevin started crying when I was reading about how hurt my dad was. I think maybe he's starting to realize how badly he has hurt all of us. I guess this trip will tell, huh?

Other wise than that, everyone kept quiet and danced around the counselor's questions, beating around the bush and not really letting anything come out. I guess it's true, how men really hate to talk about their feelings. That would explain why the kids were the only ones really saying much…we aren’t men, yet. I don't want to be like that, when I am older. Maybe having a girl, as my best friend will help me to avoid being so shut off, about my feelings. I admit, I spill my guts to her, but you knew that, already.

I think that if they all, my dad included, would have just talked about things, to begin with, we wouldn’t all be in such a mess of emotions, now. They miss each other, I know they do. They used to be so close and I just know that they all want to be, like that, again. Too bad it won't happen unless they start talking things out. You know...I really didn't say a whole bunch, but for the small amount of talking that I did, I already feel a little better. Like maybe there is an end to this...and furthermore, maybe the end is near.

Sure, I might only be 15 years old, but I’m not a moron. I can see things that go on, and I have opinions on them. Maybe I’m wrong about some of this, but it just seems so obvious. I know you’re going to tell me that I need to take my own advice, but I think it’s long past time for them to forgive and forget.

Alright, setting all that aside, I have to focus. Here I am, freshly showered, and standing in my boxers, when I am supposed to be getting ready. Honestly, I’m not sure how, but I had completely forgotten about tonight’s school dance, until Morgan called me and hour ago. Now where did I put my pants? They’re around here somewhere…

“Baylee?” A soft voice accompanied the light knock. Go figure…she’s early.

“Come in Morgs, I’m basically descent.”

“What do you mean ‘basically’?” The door cracked open, slightly.

“I’m in my boxers, Morgan, it’s ok.” I snickered. She walked in once, when I was in just a towel and she about freaked out. I had told her I was covered…and I was…but, evidently, it wasn’t enough coverage. “AHA! I found them!” I held my pants, high, in the air, with a grin. I started hopping on one foot, my curls bouncing all over, as I tried to get my leg in.

“You’re a dork, Baylee.” She shook her head and sat on my bed. “Um…Bay?”

“Yeah?” I looked up, after I finally got my pants up. I fiddled with the clip thing, but this one doesn’t like…to…clip. I sighed, continuing to fiddle with the thing. I started mumbling, under my breath, “Why can’t dress pants have buttons, like normal pants?” Maybe some dress pants do…but these ones sure don’t! They’ve got some little metal clip thing that’s a bugger to get…

“For pete sake, Baylee!” Morgan sighed, getting on the floor and kneeling in front of me. I looked down at her, trying to see how she did it, as her fingers slipped into the waist band of my pants and, easily, clipped the thing. “There.” I slowly let out the breath, that I didn’t even realize, I was holding. She stood up and our eyes locked, just staring into each other.

“So…uh…” I shook my head, breaking our stare, and turned to my dresser, pulling out a white wife beater. “You were…gonna…ask me something?” I swallowed hard, pulling the wife beater over my head and turning back around. What had just happened there? I mean…I know she was helping me…but…I just…never mind.

“Oh…right…I was going to ask if maybe…could you…help me…a little?” She fiddled with her fingers, not looking up at me. Figures that she’d get all shy, on me, now.

“Sure…with what?” Knowing Morgan, she probably just needs help with the zipper, on her dress.

“This is going to sound dumb…but…”

“Spit it out.” I rolled my eyes and tilted my head, as I raised my eyebrows, waiting. Do all chicks beat around the bush, like this, because, this is a bit annoying. I mean, shouldn’t she know, already, that she can ask me, just about, anything?

“Well…see…I haven’t exactly mastered this whole new hair style thing. I mean…I can do the front and all, but the back…well…” Morgan trailed off, mid stutter. Letting a smirk cross my lips, I chuckled. I should have known. The poor girl isn’t used to doing all of that super girly stuff.

“Come on, then…I’m sure it can’t be too difficult.” Grabbing her hand, I pulled her up. “I’m guessing you brought everything we’ll need?” I watched her dig into her bag, pulling out a curling iron, hair spray, combs, mousse, and all sorts of other stuff. “Wow! I never knew there was so much stuff involved!”

“Yeah…neither did I. Do you…uh…do you think you can help?” The poor girl’s face pleaded with me. As if I would refuse, anyways, she is my best friend. Not that I knew if I could do any better, at this, than her. I’ve never, in my life, used a curling iron!

“It’s worth a shot. Plug the curling iron in, by the desk, then you can sit in the desk chair. I’ll do my best, but I can’t guarantee salon quality!” Laughing again, I looked over all the products she had set on the desk. A few minutes later, she was sitting in the chair and I was working, away, on her hair, as she gave me instructions. Who knew you had to curl curls? I snickered, at the thought. It was a, good, half hour later, before I finally finished curling her hair.

“Thanks Bay.” She smiled and gave me a hug, before heading to her own room, to finish getting ready. All I had to do was put on my dress shirt and fix my own hair, and then I would be ready. Once I was done, I headed downstairs. Nick was going to drop us off, at the school, where I would meet up with Allison. She was, kind of, my date for the dance, but the plan was really for me, Morgan, Allison, and Sean to all hang out as a group.

“Ready?” Nick startled me, making me jump up from the couch. I whipped around, seeing him, and AJ, standing in the doorway. Nick, immediately, started cracking up. “Well don’t you look handsome, Bay. Your dad would be beaming, right about now.”

“He’s right, on that note, BayBay. You do look very handsome!” He faked sniffles and continued, “Our little boy is growing up…so…so faaaaaast!” Sniffling again, he rested his face on Nick’s shoulder. Before I could react, Nick whipped out a camera and snapped a picture.

“Could you, at least, warn me, Nick? I mean, my eyes were probably closed!” I raised a brow, and he just chuckled. I straightened my shirt and posed, for him to take a nice picture.

“I’ll have to get one, once Morgan comes down.” Nick grinned, practically, skipping into the other room. I swear that man acts like he really was my father. He dresses up for my big games, he cracks down on me when I slack off, and he gets all giddy about things like a school dance.

“BAYLEE!” Morgan shouted, from upstairs. Walking toward the stairs, I looked up, but didn’t see her. Nick and AJ came up behind me, looking concerned. “I don’t think I like this dress.”

“Oh, is that all? You always say that, Morgan. Just come down here and let me see.” Rolling my eyes, I shoved my hands into my pockets. This was rather typical, for her, really. She’s never been one to wear what was ‘in style’, but yet she tends to worry about what people think.

“Morgan, honey, I’m sure you look beautiful. You always do,” AJ offered some comforting words. I told you that my family loved her. All of the guys enjoyed having her around, and were always willing to offer her some kind words, to ease her insecurities.

“Okay…just…don’t laugh!” She shouted, poking her head around the corner. Visibly taking a deep breath she stepped to the top stair. “I saw it, in the store, and I liked it…but…now, I’m not so sure.” I stood frozen, looking over the floor length black dress. It hugged her body, a slit running up the side, to just above her knee. Little sparkles made a flowered design around the bottom and up the side. The dress was hot!

“I uh…it’s…um…you uh…” Since when do I stutter, around Morgan? It’s just Morgan! She slowly started down the stairs, gripping the rail, trying not to fall in her strappy black heels. When I was helping her, with her hair, I thought she was going to leave it, the way it was, but she had pulled in up into an elegant type of French twist thing, leaving several curls out to frame her face.

“You look just fine, Morgan.” Nick piped up, covering my dumb stammering.

“Dude…Nickolas!” AJ smacked him on the arm and rolled his eyes. “You never tell a woman that she looks ‘fine’. I know you think that’s a compliment, but in female terms, that’s as bad as saying she looks like a blind horse that got dressed in the dark! Haven’t I taught you anything?” When she reached the bottom, of the stairs, AJ pulled her into a hug, “You look stunning, honey…absolutely beautiful…and the dress is perfect!” AJ smiled warmly, as I continued to stare, at my best friend, like a complete doufus! Silver earrings dangled, from her ears, and matched the dainty necklace that was settled in the ‘V’ of her dress. Overall…yeah…she looked like she had just stepped out of a high fashion magazine…or maybe even off the red carpet.

“That’s what I meant.” Nick offered her a cheesy smile that made her laugh. She stepped into Nick’s arms, next, for a hug. Look at me…I’m still standing here gawking! Snap out of it, Baylee Thomas…geesh!

“…Bay…” AJ cleared his throat, snapping me out of my trance. It’s not my fault that I’ve never seen her look, like this, before. I was used to my, good old, jeans and a t-shirt Morgan…my vintage clothing Morgan…my, shy, computer wiz Morgan…my out of the ordinary Morgan…my never follows the trends Morgan…not this put together, in style, cheerleading, confident, ‘can’t take my eyes of her’ Morgan. This was going to take a great deal, of getting used to!

“You uh…wow Morgan…I um…wow…” Oh yeah…that was smooth! I wouldn’t blame her if she came up and smacked me! I’m her best friend for cripe sakes…I shouldn’t be practically drooling. Now, I’ve told you before that I have always thought she was pretty…not the amazing, knock your socks off, take your breath away, pretty…but still pretty, none the less. Well…so much for that because I definitely lost my breath tonight! Now, she’s, not only, an amazingly beautiful person, on the inside, but she looks it, on the outside, too.

“Nice, Baylee…that’s more of a compliment than Nick, or I, could have ever given!” AJ cracked up, making my cheeks flush a bit. There’s nothing like having a father figure point out your most embarrassing moments. I was going to have to work, overtime, at the dance tonight, because every guy in school will flock, to her! Good thing I would have Sean for backup!

“So…it’s okay?” Insecurity filled her voice, as she bit her bottom lip and looked at each of us. Nick smiled widely and nodded.

“It’s more than okay, Morgan, honey.” AJ re-stated, putting an arm around her. “Now…we need some pictures…no…a lot of pictures. Ah, to be young again! Enjoy it while it lasts…before you know it, you’ll be looking at the pictures, wondering where the time went!” Morgan came over, standing next to me, as AJ and Nick stepped back to take pictures. I swallowed the lump, in my throat, and slipped my arm around her waist. We smiled for a few pictures and then I turned to her.

“Morgan…”

“Yeah, Bay?” She bit at her lip again. I think she was nervous, but I’m not sure why she would have been. The guys already complimented her enough, to make her feel confident.

“Um…” I tried to ignore the flash that went off, and continued. “…you really do look…pretty…I mean…” Pretty? Was that the best that I could come up with? How pathetic. I drew in a deep breath and started over. “You look great, Morgan…you really do.” A deep blush covered her cheeks, but the nervous look went away. I leaned in and kissed her cheek, causing another flash to go off. What is it with them? They are worse than real parents!

“Thank you, Baylee. That means a lot, coming from you.” A bright smile crept onto her face…and another flash went off. It means a lot, coming from me? What does that mean?

“Seriously, guys…enough with the pictures, already!” I looked over, at them, giving them a playful scowl. Taking Morgan’s hand, I lead her to the door, as Nick grabbed his keys.

We all climbed into the car and headed to the school. As we pulled up, I immediately, spotted Sean and Allison, waiting for us. Nick pulled up, to the curb and I got out, holding my hand out, to help Morgan. Hey…Nick might not be Mr. Casanova, but with AJ’s help, he had taught me how to be a gentleman. She took my hand, and scooted toward me, letting one leg slide out of the car.

“Hey Baylee!” Sean greeted, happily, as he came toward me, Allison following behind. I firmly held Morgan’s hand, as she slipped, the rest of the way, out of the car and stood up. “Holy…” Sean’s voice cracked, and squeaked, at the same time then he went silent. His jaw dropped and his eyes were glued open, as he looked over her. HA! I wasn’t the only best friend that had that ‘eye popping, lose your breath’ reaction. Although, he has an excuse, because he has a huge crush on her. So where does that leave me…what’s my excuse?

“You look so pretty, Morgan!” Allison beamed, giving her a hug. Allison’s dress was very similar, to Morgan’s, except it was a light pink and only knee length. Her long hair was in a nice French braid that hung down her back. So, basically, they both looked amazing! How were Sean, and I, going to survive the night?

“Shall we?” I asked, nudging Sean, with my elbow. His head snapped, to look at me, and then nodded. I placed Allison’s hand onto my forearm. Sean did the same, with Morgan’s hand, and we escorted the girls, to the front door.

The four, of us, danced in a group for most of the night, except when slow songs played. Morgan danced, with me, for only two slow dances…the rest I spent dancing, with Alli. The yearbook editor even took a couple group pictures, of us…Sean on one end, then Morgan, me, and Allison. Sean had his arm around Morgan’s shoulders, and I had my arms around both girls’ waists. Morgan and I were pulled aside, later, for team photos, too. We all paired up, like usual, the guys standing behind their ‘assigned’ cheerleader. The cheerleaders stood, their backs leaning against us, as we set our hands, on their hips. In her heels, Morgan was, pretty close to, my height, so I rested my cheek against hers. Three flashes went off, before we all broke apart.

The dance was great and we all had a blast, but we were really worn out, by the time we got home. Guess what, though…I kissed Allison, for the first time, tonight. It wasn’t anything major, just a quick good night kiss, but it was nice ending, to the night.

Crawling into bed, I glanced at dad’s journal. Reaching out my hand, I trace my fingers over the binding. “I miss you guys…I wish you where here, tonight, so you could have seen me. Nick and AJ said that I looked really handsome, and that you would have been beaming. They took a lot of pictures. I’m sure mom would have cried. Morgan was beautiful, tonight, and I think I may have a girlfriend, now. Her name is Allison…I think you, both, would like her.” I let out a long yawn and snuggled, down, into my blankets. “Well…I love you…good night.” I flipped off my bed side lamp, and closed my eyes, falling asleep quickly.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for all the feedback. You guys are great and I really appreciate it!