- Text Size +
I held open the door of Slick Sammy Snake’s Sinister Sodas, Subs, Soups & Salads, for Morgan and Allison then Sean followed me in to the large restaurant. It was a popular teen hang out with an outrageous name, pool tables, air hockey, fuse ball, pinball games, and other arcade games, not to mention the awesome food! The walls were bright green and splattered with other brightly colored paints. There were colored lights that hung from the ceiling. The tables were tall, and your feet hung a foot off the ground, when you sat in the stools. But the coolest thing was the two shelves that went all the way around the room, near the ceiling…they were lined with every possible hot sauce known to man, from all different countries. S8, as we called it, always smelled like an odd mixture of toasted subs and text books, and there was rarely ever an adult around, except the couple that owned the place.

“Man, have I missed this place! It’s been weeks since we’ve come here!” Sean smiled, sitting on a stool, at the back corner table. He was right…it had been almost a month, since we’d come here, to hang out. We used to be here, almost, every afternoon.

“Me too!” Morgan smiled, sitting next to Sean. We all picked up menus that were standing in the center, of the table, between salt, pepper and parmesan shakers. I already knew what I was going to order…the toasted turkey club, with all the fixin’s and curly fries. My stomach rumbled, just thinking, about it.

“What can I get for you kids, today?” Judy asked, smiling at us, holding a notepad, in her hand.

“Um…I’d like the chicken alfredo sub, please, with chips and a Coke.” Allison smiled, setting the menu back in its spot. Everyone’s eyes turned to Morgan, who looked confused. I rolled my eyes, knowing she couldn’t decide what she wanted. Haven’t I mentioned her inability, to decide what she wants to eat, before?

“Oh geesh, Morgan.” I shook my head and looked, back, up, at Judy. “She’ll have the ham and swiss toasted sub, hold the mustard and onion. Let’s see…pair that with some crinkle fries, a Coke and a Strawberry shake. I’ll have the toasted turkey club, no onion, with curly fries, a Coke, and a chocolate shake. Can we have the shakes come out with the food, instead of with the drinks, please? We’ll also take an order of fried mushrooms and one of mozzarella sticks, for the table to share.” I nodded, satisfied, and set the menu in its place.

“Sure thing, dear.” Judy nodded, scribbling our orders onto her little tablet.

“Nicely done, Bay!” Sean snickered, setting his menu back and looking up. “I’ll have the same as Baylee, but no shake.” Judy smiled widely and chuckled, as she walked away. “Come on Morgan, I challenge you to a game of pool!” Sean hopped up, tugging on Morgan’s arm.

“Okay…okay…I’m coming! Good grief.” Shaking her head, she slid off the stool, and followed Sean. They went to the closest pool table and Sean started racking up the balls. I stared at them for a few moments, before Allison’s voice brought me back.

“So you’re leaving tomorrow?” Ok…why did she have to bring up the trip? That was the last thing that I wanted to think about, right now!

“Yeah…it’s going to be jam packed with arguments and drama!” I gave her a wide smile and a mock excitement, in my voice. She giggled, knowing that I was faking the enthusiasm. “Seriously, I’ll probably come back with gray hair, from all the stress! We’re going to be stuck in a van, together, for the whole drive. Psh…we’ll be lucky if no one gets killed.”

“Oh, maybe it won’t be so bad. It could be productive, you know.” She offered a sweet smile and a pat, on my shoulder. Obviously, she didn’t know the guys!

“Yeah…well…you’d think differently, if you knew the guys. They aren’t exactly good at controlling themselves, their mouths, or their attitudes. They fight like brothers, because they practically are brothers. They’ve been around each other, non stop, for like….25 years, or something.” I tried to do the math, in my head, but it wasn’t working…I just knew they had been together for a long time!

“Holy…wow!” Looking at me with wide eyes, she set down the napkin she had been fiddling with.

“Yeah, it’s crazy.” Glancing over, at the pool table, I saw Morgan waiting her turn to shoot. The pool stick stood on its end, with her hands resting on top, of it, and her eyes are glued to me, but she looked away, when she saw me face her. There is definitely something up with her. I wonder if she has talked to her mom, about the whole grade skipping thing, yet. Or maybe she’s just thinking about me being gone, for a week.

Sean and Morgan joined us, again, after they finished their game. Morgan was shoving him, saying he cheated, as they sat, back, on their stools. It was only a few moments, later, before our food arrived and, boy, did it look awesome! Our conversation died down a bit, as we all dug into our food. Let me tell you, the food here tastes as good as it looks and smells…and that’s pretty darn good!

“They do that all the time…you’ll get used to it.” Sean snickered, as I reached across the table, to switch my chocolate shake, for Morgan’s strawberry.

“We share everything.” Looking at Allison, I shrugged my shoulders and gave her a lopsided grin. She grinned back, at me, and let go of a soft giggle.

“That’s why everyone thinks you two are dating.” I lifted a brow, as Sean burst into a fit, of laughter. “Well…it’s true! At one point, or another, everyone has thought it!”

“Oh…well my sister, and I, are the same way.” Allison spoke up, leaning forward, to rest her forearms on the table. “It just comes with being so super close, to someone.” I smiled, as she shrugged her shoulders, like it was completely normal. Maybe it is completely normal. Then again, I am really close to Sean, too…but I would never share a milkshake with him. The thought of sharing a straw, with him, gives me the heebie jeebies!

“Well…the perception of us dating is completely preposterous! I mean, how absurd…”

“Oh great…here she goes.” Sean mumbled, as Morgan continued on, rolling her eyes and waving her hands around.

“..to assume…that me and…and you…” Morgan pointed a finger at me, as we all sat with our eyes glues to her. “After all, it’s not like you like me…or I like you! It’s incredulous to conclude something that harebrained! Just because…”

“Morgan…” My eyebrows rose, as I looked at her, trying to stop her rambling. I wasn’t quite sure why she was rambling. She usually only rambles when she’s nervous. Maybe she’s worried about Allison believing that there is something between us.

“…we’re close friends, doesn’t condone people thinking such idiotic concepts. I swear high school is satiated with inequitable rumors and gossip!” Sean and I looked at each other, rolling our eyes, yet, again.

“Morgan…” Both of us tried to get her attention, but it didn’t seem to be working. I let out a sigh, tilting my head, as Sean tried to suppress his laughter. Allison just looked from me, to Sean, and then to Morgan, not really sure what to think.

“I can’t even fathom the idea, really…”

“The last time she talked like this…” Sean leaned over, whispering to Allison, with a grin. “…she joined the cheerleading squad.” Allison looked to me, with a question, in her eyes. I just grinned and nodded.

“Just the thought, of you liking me…like that?” Morgan giggled at herself.

“MORGAN!!!” Sean and I shouted, finally grabbing her attention and bringing it back, to the table. She looked at each, of us, and then turned a light shade, of pink.

“Right…sorry…” Morgan giggled again, grabbing her shake and gulping it down. Judy came and cleared our plates, from the table, helping to take the focus off poor Morgan. I’m not sure what her issue is, but I will have to worry about that later.

“Hey, BayBay!” AJ’s voice caught me, by surprise, as he came up, to our table. He is, probably, the only adult that could walk into S8, and not look out of place. The wife beater, he was wearing, showed off all of his tattoos. Man, I still want one!

“Uh…hi JayJay…what are you doing here?” I furrowed my eyebrows, in confusion, wondering what he wanted. Allison looked at him in…awe? Astonishment? Shock? I wasn’t sure what was going through her head, but her eyes were wide, as she looked him over.

“Psh…you’ll never guess! Hell…it’s like a historic event!” He smirked, leaning his hands onto the table. “You gotta head home. You might as well bring the whole group, even...call the basketball team…the football team…any of your friends, and tell them to get to the house.”

“Why? What’s going on?” I lifted a brow, still looking at him, in utter confusion.

“What do you mean, ‘a historic event’, AJ?” Morgan piped up, as he slug an arm, over her shoulders. He was grinning from ear, to ear, as he looked from her, to me. Extending an arm in front, of him, he got a very dramatic look, on his face.

“House party at the Carter, Littrell, Richardson house!”

“WHAT?!?” Morgan, Sean, and I looked at him, with our jaws dropped and eyes wide. Was he serious? A party? At our house? No…not possible!

“YES! Can you believe it? All the Carter kids are there, already. So is Howie, Leigh, Riley, and, just about, everyone else that you can think of.” Nodding his head, he snagged a drink, of my Coke. “So, get your butts up, and let’s go, already!”

“Are you serious? Nick? Allowing…hosting…a party?” I looked at him with a raised brow, confused, but then turned serious. “What did you do…hit him on the head or get him drunk?”

“Never mind how it happened, BayBay! The point is that it’s happening.” AJ held out his hands, spreading his fingers and widening his eyes, like he was waiting for us to jump up. Luckily, for him, we did just that.

AJ swung by Allison’s house, and then Sean’s, so they could get any essential items. Next thing, I knew, we were at the house, pulling into the driveway. I was surprised to see so many cars, there. AJ was actually right…everyone was here! We all got out of AJ’s Escalade and could hear the music floating, from the house. Sean, Morgan, and I all ran toward the front door, with AJ and Allison close behind. Bursting through, the door, I was immediately attacked, by Aaron.

“BAYLEE!”

“AARON!” We wrestled, a bit, before he was dragged off, by his new girlfriend, Sarah. I turned around, facing my friends, who were standing behind me and talking amongst themselves. “Come on, guys, let’s paaaaaartaaaaay!”

“Hey, I’m going to head, to my room, and change, first.” Morgan grinned, looking to Allison. “Come on, Alli, I’ll show you around.” After Allison nodded, in agreement, the two girls made their way upstairs.

“Psh…girls.” Sean rolled his eyes, as we weaved through the crowd. I greeted everyone, on the way to the living room. I was shocked to see Kevin lounging, on the couch, watching the activities around him. Howie and Nick were goofing off, by the pool, and Mason was talking with some of his own friends. Looking to the other side, of the room, I caught a glimpse of AJ and Riley talking to Leigh and Angel. Scoping out the, rest of, the crowd, I took note of who was all there. The place was literally crawling, with people!

“Hey guys!” Morgan’s voice announced, that the two girls had rejoined us. I turned around, to find them both in swimsuits and shorts. Sean and I stood, for a moment, just staring at them. Is it just me, or have my hormonal thoughts been kicking in, a lot, lately?!?

“Feel better?” I asked, with a smirk. Who cares, if they felt better? They, definitely, looked better…well…not really better…but hotter. Does that even make sense? Hmm. Anyways, we headed out to the backyard and grabbed some snacks.

“You’re a dork, Baylee!” Morgan chuckled, giving my shoulder a shove. Lifting my shirt, over my head, I got a very familiar idea. A wicked smile crept to my lips, as I grabbed a hold, of her arms. “NO! Don’t you dare!” She fought against me, as we neared the pool.

“So it begins…” Sean let out a loud laugh, looking at Allison. I continued to wrestle, with Morgan, as I saw Sean running toward us. “Oh heck…” He laughed, as he ran and jumped, into the pool, causing a large splash that soaked me, Morgan, and Allison.

“Baylee Thomas!” A squeal escaped Morgan’s lips, as I spun her around. “WYLEE LITTRELL!!!” With one last move, I sent Morgan flying, into the pool. Unfortunately, for me, she pulled me in, with her. We both surfaced, coughing and gasping for air, as we started cracking up.

“Come on in, Alli. Nick always keeps the water nice, and warm!” I looked up at her, holding out my hand. The breath left my lungs, as Sean jumped onto my back, sending us, both, back under the water. Before coming, to the surface, I felt someone enter the water, close to us.

“WATER FIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!” Sean screamed, as we came back up.

“Get ready…” I warned Allison, who was now right beside me. I don’t think she knew what was coming, until people, from every direction, started running toward the pool. I watched AJ fly over us, executing a very nice cannon ball. Aaron and Mason were next, landing close to us. I looked around seeing people jump in, one, by one. BJ…then Howie…Riley and Leigh…Leslie and her boyfriend Mark…

“AAAAAAAAH…AH AH AH AAAAAAAH!!!!” Nick’s voice bellowed above the commotion, as he came barreling, out of the house. My eyes went wide, as he got closer, to the pool.

“CLEAR THE AREA!” Morgan and I shouted, trying to get away from the spot that Nick was aiming for. It was all in vein, though, because Nick landed only a few feet away, sending a wave, of water, over us. Sean, Morgan, Aaron, and I all began to splash water, at Nick. It didn’t take long, for everyone to start in, on the fight.

The night air was filled with the sounds of screams, and laughter, as the all out water fight, raged on. Everywhere I looked, people were wrestling and splashing…jumping on each other’s backs and dunking others under, the water. If you were in the pool…you weren’t safe!

“Baylee…look!” Mason came up to me, nodding his head, toward the lounge chairs that sat beside the pool. Looking over, I saw Kevin watching the activities. Both of us got wide grins, having the same idea. Forcing our way, to the other side of the pool, we got out and headed his way. His attention was focused, on the people, in the pool, and he didn’t even see us coming.

“We love you!” We smiled, as we gave him big, wet, hugs. His eyes went wide, as he realized that he was now soaked. Narrowing his eyes, the corner, of his mouth, went up into a smirk.

“Run Mason!” I screamed, as Kevin got up, from his seat. Chasing us around the pool, his smirk grew into a full smile. I couldn’t believe the way he was reacting. He didn’t yell, or get mad. Was he…actually…participating in the fun?!?

“I’ll get you, two!” His words hit my ears, just as I jumped, back, into the pool. Mason was close behind me, as we escaped, from him. Or so I thought. Coming up, out of the water, I was shocked to see Kevin right in front, of me. Playfully grabbing me, he wrestled me back, under the water. Mason hopped onto his back, as AJ appeared beside me. Before I knew what was going on, Nick and Howie were by our sides, too. All, of us, ganged up, on Kevin, pushing him under.

“Let me in, on this!” Aaron demanded, pushing through AJ and Howie. Suddenly, it was an all out brawl, between the seven, of us. The battle raged on, around us, as we wrestled, in the water. It was a good half hour, before everyone started to climb out, of the pool. I rejoined Allison, Morgan, and Sean, as we all stretched out on the tile, by the pool.

The rest of the night was just as eventful, but around midnight, Nick began ushering people out. After all, it was still a school night. I was thankful for a relaxed, fun filled, night. Quite honestly, I think we all needed it. Heck…even Kevin loosened up, a lot. Who knew? I guess he really was starting to get back to his old self. It was a part, of him, that I had never really seen, but I liked it. I had kissed Allison ‘good night’, before AJ took her and Sean home.

“Good night, guys.” I smiled, before turning to give Nick, Howie, AJ, and Kevin all a hug. Then, I kissed Leigh, Riley and Morgan, all, on the cheeks. You shouldn’t be surprised that Morgan was just going to stay in her room, here, tonight. The three, of us, kids, headed upstairs. I gave Morgan and Mason, each, a hug, as we separated, to our rooms.

Changing and laying down, in bed, I thought about what a good night, it had been. I was a lot more relaxed, and not so nervous, about the trip. Sure, it was still going to be stressful, but at least, I knew that everyone was still capable of letting loose and getting along. Turning out my light, I covered up. I said a soft ‘good night’ to my parents and God, before allowing my eyes to close and sleep, to overcome me.