- Text Size +
I stood on the front step, Friday afternoon, leaning against the pillar with my arms crossed and head tilted. A light breeze blew my curls around, as I let out another heavy sigh and tilted my head to the other side. Dark blue lens sunglasses shielded my eyes, from the bright sun and matched perfectly, with my dark blue jean shorts and black football jersey. My bags were packed and sitting, one on each side, of me. Pure irritation was written, all over my face, as I stood impatiently waiting. I had said my ‘good-bye’s to Allison and Sean after school. Morgan, on the other hand, had just left, not even, ten minutes ago. I glanced, down, at Mason, who was sitting on the step, head in his hands, as we waited for the adults to stop arguing.

Obviously, last night’s carefree and relaxed atmosphere was short lived. When I left, for school, this morning, everyone was still in fairly good spirits. By the time I got home, however…Morgan and I walked into an extremely tense house. Looking around, we decided it was best to just head to my room. Go figure, she had to help me finish packing. I guess I was putting it off as long as I could. The argument, before me, was exactly the reason why I was dreading this trip.

“Okay…so I’ll drive.” Nick stated, putting his two bags into the, back of, the rental van. There was no way all six, of us, would fit into any of the vehicles that the guys owned...so, Nick had no choice but to rent a van. How many famous people, do you know that, drive a mini van? Definitely not any of the Backstreet Boys…I can tell you that!

“Screw that!” AJ, huffed, tossing his own bags into the back, grabbing the keys from Nick’s hand. “Dude…Nick…if you drive we’ll end up stopping a hundred times, getting lost, re-finding our way, stopping another hundred times, missing our exit, taking a wrong turn, stopping more, and then ending our asses all the way, the fuck, up in Canada somewhere.” Nick’s eyes were wide, with offense, at AJ’s hostility. AJ motioned to everyone, but Nick, as he continued. “But none, of us, will even be awake to know the damn difference. Why? Because we’ll be passed the fuck out, from the toxic ass gas that’s going to be drifting from you, since you just ate an entire bag of them damn Barbeque Pork Rinds! Heeeeeeeell FUCK no…I’m driving!”

“I can drive.” Howie offered, with a shrug. Needless to say, nerves were on edge. AJ was the worst, but we were all tense and anxious. I was, a bit, taken back, by the level of AJ’s hostility. He wasn’t normally like this to anyone, besides Kevin.

“Yeah right Howard. If Nick drives, we’ll end up in Canada, but at least we’ll get there within two days. You drive…and we’ll get to Kentucky fine, but it won’t be until next month, because you drive like an old lady. I’m driving…end of discussion. Come on, boys, load up!”

“Somebody is a bit hostile, today.” I mumbled, to Mason, as I bent over and picked up my bags. “Shot gun!” My voice rose above the dying commotion, as I headed toward the van. Slipping my duffel bags into the back, I kept out my backpack. Since it was going to be a long drive, I brought along some of my school work, a couple books that Morgan gave me to read, my music player, my dad’s journal, and some magazines that I snagged from Morgan’s room.

Not much else was said, as everyone loaded into the van. I slouched, down, into the passenger seat, as AJ pulled out of the driveway. Nick and Mason were sitting right behind us, while Kevin and Howie sat in the far back. Everyone remained quiet, as AJ pulled onto the main road. After the first half hour, of silence, I reached into my bag and pulled out a book. A very typical ‘Morgan’ type book, too…Shakespeare. Two Gentlemen of Verona, to be exact.

Cease to persuade, my loving Proteus;
Home-keeping youth have ever homely wits;
Wer’t not affection chains thy tender days
To the sweet glances of they honour’d love,
I rather would entreat thy company
To see the wonders of the world abroad,
Than, living dully sluggardiz’d at home,
Wear out thy youth with shapeless idleness.
But since thou lov’st, lovestill, and thrive therein,
Even as I would, when I to love begin.


I blinked rapidly, staring at the page, with a lifted brow. What…in the halibut…is that?!? Was I supposed to understand what that meant? Because I, most certainly, did not! After closing the book, I stuffed it into my bag. Just that paragraph was enough, to give me a headache!

“Sweet! It’s the ‘Five O’clock Flashback!” AJ grinned, his hostility subsiding, as he turned up the radio. At least, this was something that everyone should enjoy…to some extent, or another. Some, of the songs, I wasn’t too familiar with, but others I knew by heart. The hour long segment was complied of, a vast mix of, 80’s, 90’s and 00’s music. The first bars, of a very familiar song, floated through the speakers. By the time the chorus filled the van, everyone was, at least, lip syncing along…even Kevin!

“I like big butts, and I can not lie! All, you otha brotha’s can’t deny…when a girl walks in, with a itty bitty waist and a round thing, in yo face, you get sprung!” Mason and I were singing, at the top, of our lungs, while everyone else only lip synced or sung softly. AJ turned and looked at me, with a cocked brow, turning down the radio.

“First of all…you two boys don’t know the first thing, about being sprung! Secondly…you all are way too white, to sing that song!” AJ snickered, shaking his head.

“And all the girlie say…I’m pretty fly…” I sang out, peeking back, at Mason.

“FOR A WHITE GUY!” Mason chimed in, with me, and then started cracking up.

“Besides, AJ…dude…you’re white, too!” Nick leaned forward, looking at AJ. “OW! Mom says it’s not okay, to hit!” He pouted, rubbing the spot, on his forehead, where AJ had smacked him.

Nick sat back and everyone fell, back, into a silence. The radio was the only thing that penetrated that silence, and it was only playing softly, now. It felt a bit awkward, although not quite as tense, as it was before we left. None the less, the silence was annoying! Digging out my music player, I slouched, down, in my seat. Leaning against the door, I propped my elbow on the armrest, and closed my eyes.

“Baylee…Baylee…yo, BayBay, wake up!” AJ’s voice broke my thoughts…well, I guess, they were dreams. I hadn’t even realized that I fell asleep. Looking around, I see that it is dark, and we are stopped at a gas station. The parking lot is nearly deserted. There is only one street light, and it is flickering inconsistently.

“Where are we?” I let out a long yawn, walking around to where AJ stood, pumping gas. Obviously, everyone else was in the store, already, looking for snacks and other road trip supplies. Glancing at my watch, I see that we had been on the road for nearly 7 hours!

“Beats me.” He shrugged, leaning against the van, also letting out a yawn. “We’re going to find a place, for the night. Probably not in this rinky dink town, but maybe a few exits down, from here.”

“Cool. I could go for snuggling up, in a comfortable bed, right about now!” I tried to stretch out the kink, in my neck, as he set the pump back. We began walking toward the building and were only halfway there, when I tripped over a hole that I didn’t see, and bumped into AJ. Give me a break…it was dark out!

“Watch it, BayBay!” He laughed, giving me a shove. Needless to say, I shoved him right back! Grabbing me, by the waist, he initiated a wresting match. We were wrestling for a good five minutes, before the unthinkable happened.

“You let that poor boy go, you big brute!” We were both caught, of guard, by the little old lady rushing towards us. Her voice cracked, as she screamed. AJ still had a hold, of my waist, as we looked at her, with confusion. “Let him go, I say!” She looked like a frail woman, with snow white hair, and a cane helping her to walk. Extending her other arm, behind her, she brought it back around, to hit AJ with her purse! “You hoodlum! You ought to be ashamed of yourself…attacking an innocent child!” The woman kept swinging, hitting AJ repeatedly, on the arms and head. Neither one, of us, knew what to do, to make her stop.

“OW! Stop!” AJ pleaded, holding his hands up, trying to shield himself from the attack. The woman wobbled, unsteadily, as she picked up her cane and poked at him, still swinging her purse. I held up my hands, too, trying to get between them. It just wasn’t working out well.

“You people make me sick!” I saw her purse hit AJ, in the eye. He doubled over, clutching his hand, over it. “How dare you lay a hand, on that poor boy?”

“He wasn’t doing anything wrong, ma’am!” I tried stepping between them, again. “Ma’am…please…he’s not…” I grabbed AJ’s arm and we started to walk away, but the woman hobbled after us. AJ’s eye was swelling quickly, making it hard for him to see.

“Listen to Baylee!” AJ pleaded, receiving another blow, over the head. He bent back over, with one hand over his eye and the other gripping his head, as he stopped walking. “He’s my NEPHEW!”

“What the hell is going on?” Nick walked out, of the gas station, and rushed toward us. Geez! It took long enough! “Is there something wrong here?”

“YES!” The old woman shouted, hitting AJ on the arm. “This hoodlum was attacking that poor boy!”

“Ma’am…” Kevin stepped up, resting a gentle hand on the woman’s shoulder. You’d figure this would be a nice gesture that would help to calm the woman. Oh no! You’d be wrong, to think that!

“Get your filthy mitts off me!” She turned, now hitting Kevin, on the arm. Wasn’t this a mess! Shouldn’t we just walk away? I mean, how fast could the poor woman even walk? I was about to suggest this, when a guy around my age, came flying out of the building.

“NANA!” He ran up, grabbing the woman’s purse, from her hand. “What are you doing, Nana? I waited for you and then I come out here, to find you beating up on some…” Looking around, the guy’s jaw dropped then a smirk formed, on his face. “Oh Nana, mom and sis are gonna be maaaaad, at you!”

“But he was…” Pointing her finger at AJ, she looked at the boy, her voice cracking again.

“Nana! Enough, already.” Rolling his eyes, he turned, to face us. “I’m really sorry, Nana…well…she’s not always all there. I’m Anthony, and you’re…” He paused, looking at me. We all stood there, a few feet away, just looking at them. AJ was groaning, still holding his, now, purple eye. “You guys already have a place, to stay, for tonight? I know you aren’t from around here.”

“Actually, we haven’t found rooms yet.” Howie stepped forward, raising a brow. “Do you happen to know any nice places, close by?”

“Yeah.” Anthony chuckled, tenderly grabbing his Nana’s arm. “Actually, my mom owns a bed and breakfast, right down the street. I’m sure she’ll let out some rooms, to you, for free…seeing as, she’s a big fan of your music, Nana beat on you and my sister is all goo-goo over you.” He smiled, looking directly, at me.

A short time, later, we arrived at the bed and breakfast and were introduced to Anthony’s mom and sister, Elisa. Neither of them had the capability, to speak, at first, but soon they were very chatty. His mom appeared to be infatuated, with Nick, while his sister kept her eyes, on me. We were shown around the small place, before all sitting in the little lounge area. Nana had apologized to AJ and Kevin, for hitting them, and then left the room. When she came back, she walked up behind AJ and slapped a T-bone steak, on his eye. Mason and I tried not to laugh, at the expression on his face. Seriously…it was a priceless mixture of pain and disgust.

One, by one, we all headed for bed. The plan was to get, back, on the road as early, as possible. Knowing this group, though, that could mean noon! Even though I slept, quite a bit, in the van, I was still exhausted. Mason and I were sharing a room and he was already snoring loudly, as I dug into my backpack. Pulling out the leather book that I was so familiar with, I decided to read a little, before going to sleep, so I settled into the soft bed and flipped to the spot, where I left off.

February 27, 2005

Dear Journal –

Today was not that great, of a day. Leighanne and I got into a huge fight, this morning. I am in the guest room, right now, as she has forbidden me, from the bedroom, for tonight. Who knew something as silly, as a broken dishwasher, could escalate into something so big? I promised her, two days ago, that I would have it fixed this week. I called around, but couldn’t get someone to come look at it, until Tuesday. Obviously, she wants it fixed now, and I don’t entirely blame her. I hate doing dishes just as much, as the next guy! But what can I do? Nothing! Today is Sunday…I couldn’t get a hold of a repair guy, no matter how much I wanted to!

So one thing, lead to another and next thing I knew…I had no clue what the argument was even about, anymore! It jumped around so quickly, it could have made my head spin! There was something about her mother…then the credit card…car insurance…wanting a new house…and I don’t even know what else! We were both so upset, that nothing either of us said, made any sense. Words flew left, and right, but nothing added up.

You know…as I go back and read some of my entries, this one included, I feel like I make her out to be a horrible person. I suppose it’s a good thing that no one will ever read this! We have a pretty typical marriage…sure we fight…but who doesn’t? Overall, the good times, generally, outweigh the bad. It’s just that I have no reason to vent about the good times, I guess. Am I even making sense? I guess it really doesn’t matter if I do, or not, because, like I said, no one will ever be reading this anyways.

Well, I hope that everything will be back, to normal, in the morning. I love my wife, and I hate fighting, with her. I also hate this guest room bed! Maybe Nick will watch Baylee tomorrow, so that I can take her to a nice dinner. I’ll have to give him a call, in the morning. For now, though, I am going to crawl into this, way to firm, guest bed and try to get some sleep. Good night, journal!

-Brian T. Littrell.