- Text Size +
Photobucket



Nick stood at the window and looked outside. The rain was coming down hard and wind was blowing from every direction. He jumped when he felt Kristin wrap her arm around his waist. Nick wrapped his arms around her and rubbed his hands on her back as he continued to look out the window.

"It's really coming down out there," Kristin said.

"Yeah it is. The weather report says it's from Hurricane Floyd."

"You think it'll hit us?"

Nick shrugged. "I don't know we'll have to wait and see. You aren't scared, are you?"

"Who me?" she said with a nervous laugh. "Nah, I'm not scared." Suddenly a loud clap of thunder roared and Kristin jumped.

Nick laughed. "Not scared, huh?"

"Shut up," she muttered.

Nick took her hand and led her over to the rec room. The two of them sat on the couch and watched the weather channel. Kristin cuddled closer to Nick as the thunder began to rumble louder. The TV was showing clips of the areas already hit by Hurricane Floyd when the power suddenly went out.

"Uh oh," Kristin whispered.

"I'll go get a flash light," he said as he hobbled over to the closet. "Look in the desk over there and get out a lighter. Use it to light up all the candles in the house."

"Okay," Kristin said as she went to the desk.

She went around the house lighting up several candles, then went back to the rec room and sat down with Nick. Lightening flashed through the room as the wind blew the shutters against the window. Kristin shivered at a slight breeze.

"I'm cold. I'll be back," she said then headed up to Nick's room.

She went in his closet, grabbed a Green Bay Packers sweatshirt and a blanket, then headed back to the rec room. Nick laughed at the sight.

"Hey, isn't that my sweatshirt?" he teased.

Kristin grinned. "Your sweatshirt is warmer than mine. Besides, I like this sweatshirt. It looks good on you. . .but better on me," she said with a snicker.

Nick laughed. "I'm not gonna argue with you on that one."

Kristin smiled and leaned against Nick. The two of them sat in the dark room in silence. Shadows bounced around the room from the flickering candles. The wind howled outside like wild coyotes. Suddenly, a scratching noise came from the door. Kristin sat up and looked around.

"What was that?"

Nick listened for it again. The scratching sound was heard once more followed by whimpering. Nick chuckled and shook his head.

"Looks like we have visitors," he said while getting up. He opened the door, almost getting ran over by four, frightened pugs. They ran over to the couch and jumped onto Kristin's lap.

"Nick, help! They're clobbering me."

Nick laughed and walked back over to the couch. He picked up Willie and Houston and sat them on his lap, petting them both on the head. "The storm must've scared them.

"Poor things," Kristin said as she watched Mikey and Nicky hide under her blanket.

Nick turned on the battery powered radio next to him. The two of them cuddled on the couch and listened to the soft music playing. Nick let out a groan and rubbed his leg.

"What is it?" Kristin asked in concern.

"My leg is killing me."

"When was the last time you took your pain killers?"

Nick looked at his watch. "About six hours ago."

"Alright, you need another one. I'll be back."

“I hate taking them,“ he said with his nose scrunched up.

“Don't be a baby."

"Sorry, but those things taste nasty."

Kristin rolled her eyes and walked out of the room. She came back with his bottle of pain killers. She took one out and handed it to him.

"Take it."

Nick pouted and took the pill with a glass of water. "The weather report advised everyone in our area to move to the lowest level of the house due to the severity of the storm. I'm gonna grab some stuff and head on down to the game room. You get the dogs down there and then gather up some blankets and pillows."

"Okay," Kristin said. "Be careful on your leg."

"I will," Nick said as he gathered up the radio and flashlight.

Kristin grabbed another flashlight, and scooped up Nicky and Mikey. "Come on guys," she said as she carried them down to the game room. Setting them down in Nick's lap she went back upstairs for Houston and Willie. When she went back to the rec room, she scooped up Houston and searched around for Willie. Frantically, she ran down the stairs. "Nick, I can't find Willie."

"He's in the house somewhere. If you can't find him, he'll find us sooner or later. Don't worry."

"Alright," Kristin said as she walked back upstairs, blowing out the candles as she passed by.

She gathered up several blankets and pillows. She went back to the rec room to grab one last blanket when she noticed a moving lump underneath it. Kristin let out a giggle as she lifted up the blanket to find Willie hiding under it.

"There you are," she said as she picked him up. "Come on, you're coming with me." Kristin carried Willie to the game room with her and shut the door after tossing the blankets onto the floor. "That's all we need, I think," she said as she joined Nick on the couch. "How long are we going to be down here?"

"I don't know. From the looks of it, this storm could last all night. If Hurricane Floyd is going the direction they think it's going then it will be here in a few days."

"It's gonna. . .here?!?" Kristin gasped.

"Whoa, babe, chill. It'll be okay."

“How can I stay calm? I’ve never been through one of these things before!”

“Baby, if it’s gonna hit us, we’ll be forced to evacuate. Everything will be fine.”

“I hope you’re right.”

"Kris, trust me, everything will be just fine. You have nothing to worry about. I won't let anything happen to you. There's nothing to be scared of, I promise."

Nick wrapped his arms around Kristin tightly and began to softly sing along with Open Arms on the radio. When he finished he looked down at Kristin who was fast asleep. He draped a blanket over her, then kissed her on top of her head. Nick laid there in the still silence listening to the rain and soon fell to sleep himself.