- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Wow, been quite awhile. I actually had this one written long ago, but apparently, I never posted it - haha. Hope you like it! Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Riley/Kylie & story idea. Disney owns Hannah Montana, & Taylor Swift owns the song Tied Together With A Smile. Thank-you!

Two weeks later, Riley was home alone by herself. Her father had decided, for once, she could stay home while him and Miley went off to do more Hannah Montana promotion. It was nearing the end of the school year after all, which meant Hannah’s world tour was getting closer and closer to becoming a reality. It’d been announced last week, and tickets were to go on sale within the next week or so. Rumor had it; it was going to be the hottest ticket of the whole summer.

She’d waited until she was absolutely sure that no one was home, before running over to her guitar and grabbing it up into her anxious arms. She caressed it lovingly, then went out onto the little balcony that was attached to the bedroom. She sat in the one white chair, and began to strum her guitar softly, easing herself into it. She wanted to savor every moment of playing, as it didn’t get to happen as often as she’d like. She’d give just about anything to be able to play her guitar whenever she felt like – but, her father would never approve. So, she settled for what she could get, when she could get it.

As she strummed quietly, she thought back to the past couple of weeks, and just how rough they’d been. And about how many times she’d been ready to give up, and had berated herself in private for breaking down and crying. It was never a good thing for her to be near a mirror when her tears began to descend – it was just cause for her already bruised esteem to fall even further downhill. Sure, she was confident enough to sing, when given the opportunity, and she wanted to do so for the world – but, when alone, she couldn’t help the thoughts that invaded her mind; especially not after having had to put up with her father’s verbal abuse and such.

Without realizing it, she began to sing, her voice soft at first, but stronger as she went on.

Seems the only one who doesn’t see your beauty
Is the face in the mirror looking back at you
You walk around here thinking you're not pretty, but that’s not true,
Because I know you

She swallowed slightly, and continued on.

Hold on, baby, you're losing it
The water's high, you're jumping into it
And letting go, and no one knows that
You cry, but you don't tell anyone
That you might not be the golden one
And you're tied together with a smile
But you're coming undone

She didn’t know it, but she now had an audience of one, who stood watching her silently from behind – a pleased smile upon his face. He hadn’t heard her voice since forever ago, and it was wonderful to hear it again.

I guess it's true that love was all you wanted
'Cause you're giving it away like its extra change
Hoping it will end up in his pocket
But he leaves you out like a penny in the rain
Oh, 'cause it's not his price to pay
Not his price to pay...

Hold on, baby, you're losing it
The water's high, you're jumping into it
And letting go, and no one knows that
You cry, but you don't tell anyone
That you might not be the golden one
And you're tied together with a smile
But you're coming undone

He knew no one would believe it, but Riley could sing better than Miley – though, they harmonized quite nicely together when given the opportunity to do so. Oh, if the world only knew Riley existed, then she’d be able to shine as brightly as her twin.

Hold on, baby, you're losing it
The water's high, you're jumping into it
And letting go, and no one knows that
You cry, but you don't tell anyone
That you might not be the golden one
And you're tied together with a smile
But you're coming undone

You're tied together with a smile
But you're coming undone

Goodbye, baby
With a smile, baby, baby
Oh

He waited until he was sure she was finished singing, before applauding, startling her out of her daze. He chuckled at the look now upon her face – the poor girl looked absolutely scandalized.

Jackson!” Riley exclaimed, her eyes going wide in surprise, though inside she could feel her terror searing through her. No one was supposed to hear her sing! No one!

“When did you write that?” Jackson queried curiously, as he leaned against the door frame, his arms crossed over his chest. “It sounds real nice, Riles.”

“It don’t matter when I wrote it, ‘cause no one else is ever going to hear it!” Riley snapped slightly, as she still sat in her chair, guitar in her lap.

“Well, they ought to,” Jackson commented. “Then maybe they’d see things through your eyes and take a hint.”

“Ha. Like Daddy’s even gonna let me anywhere near a stage!” Riley scoffed. “You know how he is Jackson. There can only be one Hannah Montana in this family, because the rest of us are just wannabes.”

Jackson rolled his eyes at her response. “If this is what you truly want Riles, then I say go for it no matter what Dad or anyone else says. Get in there and fight for it tooth and nail, until you’ve finally won. Don’t you ever give up Riley Mae, because I know just what you’re capable of, and you are capable of this! Forget what everyone else you know says! What do they know anyway? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! Heck, they don’t even know who you are!”

“Which isn’t my fault, Jackson,” Riley growled somewhat. “You try letting people know who you truly are with Miley around!”

Quit using Miley and Dad as your excuse to not go out there and do what you love!” Jackson countered. “You seem to do what you want anyway, so why not do this? Why not let the world know you can sing better than Hannah Montana? Don’t be so afraid to go out there and try – so what if you fail? At least you tried!”

“Oh, so you think I’ll fail now, do you?”

“Riley! Quit being so difficult!”

“I’m a girl. It’s my job to be difficult Jackson. It’s what I was born knowing how to do,” Riley stated firmly. “It may be the only thing I’m truly good at.”

“No, it’s not,” Jackson shook his head, as he made his way over to his sister.

Riley watched him curiously.

“This Riles,” Jackson started, placing his hand on her guitar, crouching down before her. “This right here is what you’re good at. You sing from the heart; you sing with passion. You sing because it’s what you love more than anything. And no matter how hard they may try, no one can take that from you. Not Daddy, not Miley, not the world, or even Hannah Montana. They can’t, not unless you let them. And you shouldn’t let them.”

Riley blinked back tears of gratefulness then, as she stared at her brother – the one person who truly understood her better than anybody, even better than her own twin.

“Thanks Jackson,” Riley choked out, as a lone tear slipped out.

“Anytime Riles, anytime,” Jackson smiled up at her. “Now, did you pen that song you just sang down yet?”

Riley shook her head, as she hadn’t. She’d made it up as she’d gone along – somehow, the melody just flowed through her fingertips and her guitar played it beautifully. She truly was gifted in the musicality department.

“Well, get to writin’ in then!” Jackson exclaimed. “And don’t you forget that melody or the chords either! It was perfect just the way it was!”

Riley giggled softly, glad her brother always seemed to know how to cheer her up. “Yes, Sir! Jackson, Sir!”

“You’re perfect just the way you are too, kid,” Jackson winked at her, as he stood up. He placed a kiss to her forehead, then headed for the door. “And if I were you, I’d put that guitar back where it belongs before Dad gets home. The faster you get that song penned down on paper, the better, if you catch my drift.”

Riley laughed. “Tell me something I don’t know.”

“I already did,” Jackson smirked, referring to their previous conversation. “Now, hop to it.”

Riley flashed her brother a grin, as she stood from her chair, her guitar now slung over her shoulder courtesy its strap. “I’ll have it penned down and on your desk by morning,” she teased.

“Works for me,” Jackson nodded. “I’ll see you in the a.m. Riles.”

“Thank God tomorrow’s Saturday,” Riley commented, as she followed her brother back into the bedroom, only to see his back as he left the room entirely. “No school. Yay!”

“And you’ve only 10 weeks of grounding left to go!” Jackson called out from the hallway.

“Stuff it!” Riley groaned, though she was smiling, as she placed her guitar back on its perch. Once her guitar was back where it belonged, she grabbed up a pen and the notebook she kept all her songs hidden in. She sat upon her bed then, and began to do as her brother had instructed.