- Text Size +
Still visibly embarrassed by the recent maiming on the helipad, Nick crept back inside the hospital and made his way into the ward designated for anyone affected by the biochemical agent. He glanced through the doors as he put his biohazard suit back on. The walls were now lined with spare hospital beds, and he could just make out the sounds of misery coming from the ward before he entered.

Bracing himself, he placed the helmet back on and made his way into the ward, where he was almost knocked down by an eager young girl, pushing her way past him and into a room, where several other hospital staff seemed to be heading.

Wonder who’s died now, Nick speculated, as he followed the crowd to the room to at least catch a glimpse before finding Red.

Nick could barely see anything; it seemed as if all the doctors and nurses were crammed into this patients room. “What’s going on?” Nick asked the young lady who had almost knocked him down. She turned and grinned at him. She was not wearing a Hazmat suit. Must have been here since the beginning and will soon be affected herself, he thought.

“It’s Carter,” she started. “He’s getting better.”

I’m Carter, thought Nick in confusion. 00Carter. Then he remembered the other Carter, the doctor, whom Red reported had fallen victim to the epidemic at the hospital. “Oh – good,” he quickly recovered. “I mean, that’s great news!”

The young nurse grinned and then moved out of the way so Nick could attempt to enter the room.

He managed to shove his way through the swarm of doctors and lab personnel chattering anxiously, as Dr. Carter was being examined by Jeanie and Red Jewel. Nick could see Dr. Carter’s eyes open and looking around. He was watching all the people in the room; half smiles formed on his lips when he saw some people. Soon he closed his eyes again, presumably to sleep. People started to dissipate, but many still lingered.

“Red?” Nick queried.

“Nick, he’s improving. The welts are going away, and Jeanie just came back with the results of his latest bloodwork, which shows that the levels of the biochemical detected earlier have decreased significantly. I was just getting a fresh blood sample to take back to the lab to synthesize an antidote.” She squeezed Nick’s arm and started to proceed through the remaining people.

All of a sudden, there was a commotion in the hall, and the same mass of personnel flocked out of the room ahead of them. Stuck at the back of the crowd, Red and Nick made it out of the ward just in time to see a stretcher fly by in a flash of blood-soaked blue. “What happened, I wonder?” asked Red, frowning in concern.

“Oh… uh…” Nick grimaced. “Slight mishap on the helipad. Julilly can explain when she gets back.”

“Ah,” murmured Red, her thoughts clearly elsewhere. “Well, I’ve got to get this to the lab. Why don’t you go check on Brian?” With that, she squeezed through the lingering herd of hospital staff and disappeared.

Nodding after her, Nick turned and ducked back into the isolation ward, making his way to Brian’s room.


  


Nick stared. For an ambiguous period of time, he stared at his – as weird as it sounded – colleague’s unconscious body. He could swear he was counting seconds away, seconds that felt longer than hours, accompanied by the constant buzzing and beeping of the several machines that Brian was hooked up to. His own stomach had given up on cramping every time Brian went into a seizure or when his dry lips let out a usually inaudible word or a moan, mostly because he’d been awfully quiet for awhile. Several nurses, in the company of Red and Jeanie, had come in and out to check his blood and fever, and not long after their last visit, it had been officially declared: He was now in a fevered coma.

A soft sob came from his side, dividing his dark thoughts. Nick eyed the brunette woman sitting next to him. Tears were rolling silently from her eyes, her bright green eyes, which were not looking anywhere else but at Brian. Feeling oddly inadequate, not knowing what to do, Nick sighed and turned back his gaze to him.

The door of the room suddenly burst open, startling both of them, and along came Jeanie, holding a syringe in one hand, followed closely by Red.

“Is it ready?” Opal asked, slowly standing up. A hint of hope, which only Nick could notice, was hidden in her voice.

Red nodded. “Yes, finally. We ran a couple of tests on the guinea pigs, and it seems to work just fine. Let’s just hope the same for Brian,” she sighed and turned to look at Jeanie, who was preparing the needle for injection. “Let’s just hope we’re not too late.”

Opal sobbed softly again, her lower lip trembling. “Baby...”

They all stood still and watched Jeanie find the vessel on Brian’s arm and wipe the area where she was going to inject the needle with an alcohol swab. Being the pro that she was, it took her only seconds to insert the syringe with the antidote made from Dr. Carter’s blood into Brian’s skin and push the plunger down. All three pairs of eyes watched the vital scene without a blink, as the antidote made its way into Brian’s bloodstream.

Jeanie placed a clean cotton ball over the injection site and withdrew the needle from Brian’s skin, gently applying pressure on his arm. Her expression was full of sorrow, but also the determination that was all too familiar when a doctor wanted to cure a patient. Sending another glance to Brian, she rejoined towards the rest, wiping her forehead with the back of her gloved hand.

“Let’s hope for the best, people. If Dr. Carter could get better, so can Agent Littrell.” Her eyes panned across all three of them slowly, her gaze landing on Opal, whose eyes were still fixated on Brian. She sighed. “I just hope we weren’t too late. The efficiency of the antidote is the only thing we can lean on right now – that, and the strength of Agent Littrell’s immune system. We can only wait and see how his body will react now.”

Opal collapsed back onto the chair she’d been sitting in and rested her dark head on her hands. Little did they know, she was softly praying under her breath, like she’d been doing between her sobs for the past few hours.

Red motioned Jeanie to follow her outside the room. She wanted to fully get her hands on the current situation Brian was in and exchange other possible ways of saving him if the antidote didn’t work as they’d planned. Red mouthed, “We’ll be right back,” to Nick and squeezed his arm kindly.

As the two doctors left the room, Nick caught a glimpse of Julilly standing in the doorway. Meeting his gaze, she raised her hand to wave, hesitating to come into the room. Eying Opal and figuring he could leave her alone for a couple of minutes, Nick followed suit and went out into the hallway to meet Julilly.

“How is he holding up?” Julilly asked hesitantly.

Nick let out a tired sigh. “I don’t know.” He rubbed his forehead with his fingers. In hopes that all of the dark thoughts would just disappear, as well as the killer headache, he shook his head slowly. “He’s been going in and out, but for the past hour, he’s been in a coma. Jeanie and Red just applied the antidote they prepared from Dr. Carter’s blood, but I don’t know if it will work.” He growled exasperatedly, “I just wish I’d gotten the chance to rip that twitchy bastard’s head off. A helicopter crash was a good way to go compared to what I would have done to him.”

Smiling sympathetically, Julilly placed her hand on Nick’s arm, rubbing it slowly.

“He’ll be fine, Nick. I’m sure he’ll kick this virus’s ass. Littrell may be small, but I think he’s pretty tough on this inside.”

Nick’s lips cracked a lopsided smile. “Indeed, he is.” He looked back into the room, where Brian was still lying unconscious. “He definitely knows how to kick some serious ass.”

“Have faith in him, Nick, and have faith in the antidote. You’ll see… Before you realize, he’ll be back on his feet, healthier than ever. I don’t know him personally, but from what I could tell, he’s not the kind of person to let a stupid virus take him down.”

Nick nodded. He knew Julilly was right. In the short and not-so-pleasant time he’d known Agent Littrell, although he didn’t want to admit, Nick had witnessed that he was one of the most determined and strong people he had ever encountered. Often enough, Nick thought The Rok would do a brilliant job if he were a part of HimTak.

And now, he was worried. Not only was he worried that someone had caught this awful virus and was battling for his life right behind that door; he was worried that it was Brian. Brian, Agent Littrell, The Rok, cousin of his boss, and, at the most basic form, an ally for HimTak. Someone he’d fought side by side with for the same cause.

And at that point, it didn’t matter that he was a part of the American government, a group he hated almost more than he’d hated that twitchy bastard himself. He was suddenly overcome with a strange realization. He cared for Brian. It had surprised him enough as it was that he was worried for him, worried about whether or not he’d make it, but now it also surprised him when he found himself hoping deeply that Brian would be back on his feet soon, so he could annoy the hell out of Nick.

Nick let out another sigh. “I should go back in,” was all he said. He’d never admit his true feelings out loud.

Julilly nodded. “I’ll be around.”

Feeling the need to be polite, Nick knocked on the door before walking back into the room. The scene was identical to the one he’d left: Brian lay unconsciously in the silent room, accompanied only by the constant beeping and buzzing of the machines, with Opal crying silently on the other side of the room.

Opal.

Nick was clueless when it came to comforting other people; hell, he didn’t even know how to comfort himself. And he was notorious for saying the wrong things at the very wrong times. But, at least, he could be there. He could just be there for her.

Slumping into the chair next to Opal, he put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her towards him. Delicate to another person’s touch, Opal just gave in and rested her dark head on Nick’s shoulder, tugging on his suit.

“He’s gonna be alright, Opal,” he whispered, as he rubbed her shoulder softly. “He’s gonna be alright.”


  


The day turned into night. Night passed, gradually. They waited. Mostly in silence, with occasional coffee breaks, chit-chatting now and then about the most random things, just to break the tension that surrounded them. Nick made sure he goofed around enough to distract Opal from going crazy, just waiting there. And Opal, being a hardcore agent at heart, wanted to know all the details about the virus, the mission, and the man behind it all.

When dawn broke, the sun shone with its full might. The room was dim because of the closed window blinds, but the sunbeams still seeped in, bathing the room in a soft, orange tone.

Nick’s head kept falling down onto his chest, and every time, he jerked his chin up, his eyes flying open to see if there was any difference in Brian’s condition. Opal was sleepless all night, barely winking an eye.

However, the last time he couldn’t resist sleep taking him over, it wasn’t his fallen head that woke him up. It was Opal’s sudden tugging on his arm.

“He moved!” Opal whispered enthusiastically. “Nick! Wake up! Brian just moved his foot!”

“Huh?” Nick straightened himself up on the chair, rubbing his eyes.

Opal was already by Brian’s bedside, carefully examining his body and his face. Afraid a single touch would break him into pieces, she gently stroked Brian’s hand.

Nick shook the sleepiness off of him right in time to see Brian moving his head slightly.

And a minute later, Brian’s eyes fluttered open.

“Ashy...” his voice was cracked.

“I’m right here, baby,” Opal spoke tenderly, taking his hand into hers. “Thank God..”

In an attempt to speak more, Brian tried to clear his throat, which made him cough uncontrollably.

“Shh… don’t wear yourself down...” Opal coaxed her boyfriend. She cleaned the tiny sweat drops that had appeared on Brian’s forehead with a damp cloth. “You need your energy.”

Brian moaned, once the coughing was over. Taking a full glance around the room, he noticed Nick sitting on the other side of the room, looking around sheepishly. His glance turned towards Opal again, his expression confused. “What happened?”

A stubborn tear rolled down on Opal’s face. “Oh baby, I thought I lost you…” She caressed Brian’s dark blonde locks lovingly. “When Nick told me you got infected, I thought I was going to die. You’ve been through hell and back, baby. I don’t know what I would do if I lost you…”

Brian wiped away another tear from Opal’s face with his free hand and pulled her chin in for a small peck.

“I’m not going anywhere, Ashy. I will never leave you. I won’t let anything tear us apart, let alone a stupid virus…” He cracked a smile. “I’m the luckiest man in the world. Your love keeps me alive.”

“I love you, Brian…”

Nick just sat there awkwardly, a heavy lump caught in his throat. He wasn’t one to enjoy emotional scenes; as a matter of fact, he felt quite uncomfortable whenever he found himself in one. This time around, though, to his surprise, as the lump in his throat could explain, he found himself getting emotional as well.

Brian was a lucky man, indeed.

He stood up from his seat and made his way out of the room, trying not to draw any attention to himself. Luckily, Brian and Opal were too engrossed in each other to notice.

He bumped into Red and Jeanie on the hallway.

“I was just coming to tell you...” he started.

“Did something happen to Brian?” Red cut his sentence worriedly.

“No, he’s getting better…” Nick replied, noticing the sudden light in both doctors’ faces. “Actually, he just woke up!”

The two doctors looked at each other for a second to process the news they’d just heard. It took them another second to fully comprehend what Nick had said, before they hugged each other tightly, between mumbles of, “Thank God,” and, “We did it.”

“I better go inside to check him,” Jeanie piped up, when their small celebration ended.

“I would wait for awhile if I were you,” Nick chimed in, wiggling his eyebrows. “Let the lovebirds finish declaring their undying love for each other.” He stuck his finger down his throat, pretending to retch.

Jeanie and Red could only show patience for another five minutes before bursting into Brian’s room. It surprised Nick how different Brian looked already: the black pustules were disappearing, his blue eyes were shining, and he was smiling. So was Opal.

“Look who’s back among us!” Red said joyfully. “You just kicked the virus’s butt, Agent Littrell.”

“You had doubts that I wouldn’t, Dr. Llewellyn?”

Red shook her head. “Not for a second, Brian. Not for a damn second.”

For the next half an hour, there was a constant rush in Brian’s room. Nurses and doctors came in and out, checking Brian’s vitals, congratulating him, congratulating Jeanie and Red. One survivor was one thing, but two meant that the antidote was working and could be used to cure other victims.

The virus was officially beaten.

The rush died down eventually, and they were left alone. Happiness was contagious and solid in the hospital room. Jeanie and Red were informing Brian about the virus and how it had been cured, while Opal was, in the most basic form, gleaming. She was nursing Brian like a baby, coddling him with all her being.

Nick was watching the scene before him with an indefinable peaceful feeling, when a soft knock on the door diverted his attention. A nurse poked her head inside, eyeing everyone before entering the room.

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” she said, smiling, “but I’m afraid visiting hours are over. We have to let Mr. Littrell rest. He’s been through a lot, as you already know. Plus, the sooner he gets back on his feet, the sooner we can send him home.”

They all nodded in agreement. Jeanie and Red said goodbye to Brian and followed the nurse outside.

“I’ll be back first thing in the morning.” Opal leaned in and gave Brian a small kiss. “Even before you wake up. I love you, baby.”

Brian smiled and pulled her in for another kiss. “I love you too, Ash.”

Opal left Brian’s side and walked over towards the door. Nick held the door open for her, motioning her to go out first. She smiled with gratitude and walked past him.

“Carter?”

Nick was right about to step outside the door when he heard Brian calling his name. He stopped and turned back towards Brian.

A mischievous smile was playing on the agent’s lips. “I heard you wailed like a baby in a helicopter chase... just to try and save me.”

“Yeah, well... word travels fast around here, doesn’t it?” Nick suddenly felt embarrassed. What had he been thinking when he’d told Opal how he’d almost had a panic attack during the chase, anyway?

“I’m kidding, Carter.” Brian chuckled softly, before his expression turned serious. “Thank you. For everything. But especially for taking care of Opal. It means a lot.”

His hands tucked in his pockets, Nick lowered his head, kicking an invisible object on the floor.

“Nah, it’s no biggie…”

“I owe you, Carter.”

It was Nick’s turn to return the mischievous smile. He lifted his index finger towards Brian. “I’ll make sure you pay me back, El-li-ott…” he spoke in his ET voice.

Instead of shaking his head and rolling his eyes as he would normally do, Brian lifted his own hand up and motioned to his forehead with his finger. “I’ll… be… right… here…” He imitated his own version of ET’s voice.

Surprised that the CIA agent was actually going along with his joke, Nick grinned and motioned towards the door once again. “Glad to have you back, Littrell.”


  