- Text Size +
-- December 31st, 2007, 11:55 pm --

Five minutes until midnight.

Five minutes until 2008.

Five minutes until the project really, officially got underway.

I held the camera in my hand as I had been for the past three hours, luckily I had a very small camera so it was easy to carry around. I had planned on filming tiny moments from the entire evening and piecing them together in the end, but I'd barely turned off the camera since the moment we'd arrived.

I stood in one corner of the room, focusing in on Carrie Underwood and some guy, not really certain who he was, but it didn't matter. I filmed them for a few moments and then turned to focus on Brian and Leighanne. They were dancing together to whatever slow song was playing at the moment... I didn't know the name. Aj was off somewhere talking to JC Chasez about their 'next big project' so I knew I had a couple more minutes to film the action before the ball dropped and we had our perfect kiss.

I'd been nervous about bringing the camera with me at first, but I'd realized early on that celebrities are surprisingly easy to talk too... dare I say, even chipper, on New Year's Eve. Of course that may have something to do with the copious amounts of free alcohol being served to them, but that's beside the point. I'd walked around the room a few times and filmed people. Many had waved and some had stopped me to say 'hi' and "Happy New Year." I think most of them thought I worked for MTV but I didn't mind, it was getting the job done. I was even able to encourage a good number of people to tell me their resolutions.

Leighanne wanted to spend a week alone with Brian in some far off land away from everyone else. She sighed into the camera when she finished telling me and the two of us paused, looking over to where our husbands were talking and laughing with a big group of people. Yeah... I could totally relate.

Howie said he hoped to start a family with Leigh and Nick came up behind him and wished him luck. Although it was more like, "Good luck man... I thought I heard you say you never had sex anymore." I laughed knowing it was only a joke and watched as Howie took off after Nick. The two of them eventually ended up at the bar having another round together so they must have worked things out.

Nick said he wanted 'a new momma'... or was that 'baby momma.' Okay I'm not really certain and I'm not sure he was either. I was pretty sure, nay positive, he was intoxicated by that point... but intoxication makes Nick funnier... and he's pretty damn funny to begin with so I filmed him anyway.

Joey Fatone pasted a sly grin on his face and told me he wanted to fly into space. The two of us had a good laugh over it but Lance Bass didn't seem to find it funny. Joey apologized later in his own way by singing a very drunken karaoke version of "I'm Leavin' on a Jet Plane." Lance didn't find that particularly funny either.

When Lance's turn came around he told me he wanted to start a charity for underpriviledged kids. Well then, that's Lance for you, always doing his part to change the world.

I took the camera off of Brian and Leighanne and zoomed it over to where AJ and JC had been standing only moments before... or was that minutes before. One thing for certain, they weren't standing there anymore. I felt a hand slide onto my waist and was just about to smack whoever it was for being dirty when I felt his familiar lips on my neck.

"Baby," He said as he pulled me in closer to him, I looked back and made the "huh?" face at him, "Put the camera away."

I laughed and laid it in the middle of our table where I knew it wouldn't go missing. He pointed up to the clock and I noticed for the first time that we were down to less than a minute. He pulled me closer still and we watched on the big screen as the ball plummeted closer and closer to it's targeted destination.

10... 9... 8... 7...

"Alex?" He looked at me and smiled.

6... 5... 4... 3...

"What are your new year's resolutions?" He smiled again.

2... 1...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

-- January 1st, 2008, 12:00 am --

At that moment our lips met and everything around me, the world and all of the people in it disappeared and he and I were the only ones there. These were the kind of moments that made me love him more every day of our lives together. We stayed that way, lips locked, kissing for what felt like forever. It was a good kind of forever though... the kind you didn't want to end. After a while I felt someone touch my hand and I looked up to see Nick filming us.

"Thought you might like that." He said.

I smiled... I did.

AJ glanced up into my eyes and we stood there for the longest time.

"You wanted to know what my resolutions were Jess?" I nodded.

"To be here again next year... kissing you." I smiled and kissed him again.