- Text Size +
The phone rang in Ashley’s room as she groaned from under the covers. She had planned on sleeping in all day because she had a long week ahead at school. She ignored the phone until she heard her answering machine pick up and Angel’s voice coming on the other side.

“Ashley, answer the phone! I know you’re right there! Stop being so lazy and pick up it’s noon there.” She laughed.

Ashley turned over and grabbed the phone off of the stand without lifting her head from the pillow.

“What?” she grumbled.

“If I’m up at 9 in the morning you can be up at 12. Now get up and talk to me.”

“I’m up…I’m up.” She laughed. “What’s up?”

“How was your date?” Angel asked the second she knew Ashley was paying attention.

“Good morning to you too.” Ashley laughed at her bluntness.

“Sorry.” She laughed. “Good morning. I was just excited for you.”

“It’s ok. I’d do the same thing with you.” She laughed.

“Oh wait before I forget I have awesome news.”

“What?” Ashley asked.

“Aaron has an extra ticket to the Teen Choice Awards and said I could give it to you.”

“What! Really?” she said excitedly.

“I always wanted to go to an award show!”

“Well now we get to go together with Aaron.”

“I’m so excited it’s gonna be awesome.”

“So you have to come out here next week. It’s on a Friday, can you miss school?”

“I’m sure I can get out of it and I’m not scheduled for rehearsal either that day.” She said as she looked over the schedule she got earlier in the week.

“Perfect! So now how was your date?” she asked again.

“It was really great. We got pizza and then went to the movies.”

“Boring details, I want the juicy stuff. Did he kiss you?”

“Angel!” she laughed at her friends bluntness. “Did you ever think that maybe I don’t kiss on the first date?”

“Oh My God! He so did!”

“Oh My God!” she mocked her. “I think you’ve been living in California too long.”

“Shut up and tell me about it! You’re killing me here.” She said dramatically.

“I didn’t think he was going to cuz’ he was really nervous but when his cousin dropped me off he walked me to my door, and before I went inside he said that he had a really good time and that he likes me a lot and that he wants me to be his girlfriend and then he kissed me.” She could feel her cheeks blushing as she re-lived the moment.

“Aww!” Oh my gosh I hope you said yes…you better have said yes!”

“Don’t worry, I did.” She laughed.

“Aww yay! Now you have a boyfriend too!” she beamed. “I wish we lived in the same state so you could double with me and Frankie.”

“I know! It would be so much fun!”

“Oh hey I gotta go BJ is bringing me to the hair salon. I’m gonna get my hair dyed.”

“Really? You better send me pictures. That’s so cool. I wish I could dye my hair.”

“I’m gonna make it lighter and put some highlights in it. I wanna look good for the awards show.”

“Maybe mom will let me dye my hair.”

“You should so ask! And then we could get matching dresses.” She said excitedly.

“That would be so cute!”

“Ok well I’ll call you later to make plans!” Angel said as she hung up.



Ashley stretched and got out of bed. She went downstairs and made herself a bowl of cereal before joining Denise out on the patio.

“Well good afternoon sleepy head.” Denise laughed as Ashley took a seat at the table.

“Good afternoon.” She said after swallowing a big spoonful of cereal. “Angel woke me up.”

“You’re just like Alex. You’d sleep all day if you could.” She laughed lightly.

“Well sleep is just so good.” She gave a goofy smile. “So Angel told me that they have an extra ticket to the Teen Choice Awards and Aaron said I could have it.”

“Oh well that sounds like fun. When is it?” Denise asked.

“Umm this Friday. I would have to go out to California on Thursday. I know I’d miss school but this sounds like so much fun.” She tried to hype it up hoping Denise would agree.

“I don’t know if I want you missing school this early in the year. You’ve only been in school two weeks, and what about your practice for the show?”

“I’ll only miss two days of school and I can get my work from my teachers early and hand it in before I leave.”

“And what about play practice?” she asked.

“I checked my schedule. My rehearsals this week are only Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I promise I won’t fall behind or miss any other days.”

“Well I suppose missing two days won’t hurt.”

“Really? I can go?” she asked excitedly. Denise nodded yes. “Thank you thank you thank you!” she jumped up hugging Denise. “You’re the best.”



A few hours later Ashley was sitting at her desk finishing up her weekend homework and trying to get a jump start on some of her work for the upcoming week. She heard her computer chime and looked over seeing a new email awaiting her.

She clicked it open and saw a picture of Angel’s new hair. It was a chestnut brown color with caramel highlights. It was a nice change from her normal dark hair. She picked up her phone and hit the speed dial.


“I love it!” she said as soon as Angel picked up.

“I know! It’s amazing!”

“I’m printing it out right now to show mom. There’s no way she can say no to hair this cute!” she laughed. “I’ll call you back.”




“No.” Denise said as she looked over the picture.

“But why not?” Ashley whined. She had been trying to convince Denise to let her dye her hair for the past five minutes with no avail.

“Because I think you’re too young to be dying your hair. Maybe next year.”

“But I don’t wanna wait I want to do it now!” she huffed.


Denise remained calm despite Ashley's growing tantrum. She knew Ashley always put up a fuss when she didn’t get her way, she had seen it many times before, although she never had to deal with it on her own. Angie was always there to put her in her place. She knew it would make her mad but Denise stood her ground.

“I feel you’re to young and what I say goes. I don’t want you getting your hair dyed this young. You’ll ruin you’re pretty hair.” Denise tried to reason with her.

“But I hate my hair. It’s so boring!” she pouted. She was going to try everything she could think of.

“You didn’t think you’re hair was boring until Angel dyed hers. I think your hair is fine and that’s that.” Denise said firmly.

Ashley pouted some more and crossed her arms. Denise shot her a look letting her know that the argument was over. She turned on her heels and stomped back up the stairs. When she reached her room she slammed her door as hard as she could.

“Keep acting like that and you won’t go to California either.” Denise sighed and yelled up the stairs to her.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Ashley arrived in Los Angeles early Thursday morning. She was still mad at Denise for not giving her permission to get her hair dyed, but she knew if she didn’t drop it she would miss the award show.

No one was home at the Carter house who could pick her up and Alex was in rehearsal so she had to take a cab there. When she got dropped off Angel greeted her by the gate and helped her inside.

“I’m so glad you’re here!” she smiled excitedly as she sat down at the kitchen table.

“Me too! I couldn’t wait to get out of my house. I’ve barely said a word to my mom all week. I’m so mad at her.”

“I still don’t see why she won’t let you dye your hair.”

“Because she wants to control my life.” Ashley rolled her eyes. “I should just go ahead and do it anyway.”

“She would get so pissed at you.” Angel warned her.

“I don’t care. What’s she gonna do punish me?” Ashley laughed a little. “I’m doing it, I don’t care what she thinks. It’s what I want.”

“Don’t they have to call her for permission when you use your credit card? Won’t she know if you pay for it?” Angel asked a little worried not wanting her to get in trouble.

“I have the credit card Alex gave me. I’ll just pay for it with that and she won’t know until it’s too late.” Ashley had figured it all out. “Can BJ bring me when she gets home from school?”

“I’m sure she can.” Angel was still a little worried. “Are you sure this will be okay?”

“Don’t worry. She can’t do anything once I’ve got it done. I’m sure once she sees it she’ll like it.”


The girls hung around the house all day until BJ returned home from school. After a little persuasion they convinced her to drive them to the hair salon and the mall after to go shopping for outfits for the show the next day.



“I love it!” Ashley said as she looked in the mirror admiring her new hair.

“It looks awesome on you.” The hairdresser said as she removed the smock from her. “The two of you look like twins now.”

“Perfect! We’re gonna look so awesome tomorrow night!”Angel gleamed.

“You two have fun. Go to the front and they’ll ring you up.” The hairdresser informed her.

“Thanks again!” Ashley said as she walked to the front.


“I hope everything came out as you wanted.” The cashier said as she rang her up.

“Yes. It’s perfect.” Ashley smiled.

“Great. Okay so you got full color with highlights and a haircut with blow out, Correct?”

“Yea.”

“So you’re total comes to $300.00 which includes tip. How would you like to pay for that?”

“Credit.” Ashley replied reaching into her bag and retrieving the card that AJ had given her.

The cashier swiped the card and handed her a receipt.

“Just sign there and you’re good to go.” She said handing her a pen. Ashley signed the receipt and they were on their way.

“Now that the hair is looking fabulous it’s time to upgrade the wardrobe!” she grinned at Angel.

“Hollywood and Highland?” Angel asked.

“But of course!” Ashley teased.

“You two are so spoiled I swear.” BJ rolled her eyes at them.

“Hey we’re paying you to drive us around aren’t we? So let us be spoiled if we want.” Angel said as they climbed back in the car.

“Fine but I’m just dropping you guys off there. I’m not hanging around and watching you waste money. Just call me when you’re done.” She said as she took off for the mall.

Hours later the girls finally arrived back home. They lugged their purchases upstairs to Angel’s room to review what they had bought.

“Okay so first let’s get out our outfits for tomorrow night.” Angel said as she hung up the garment bags and took out the dresses.

The girls had chosen a spaghetti strap dress that came a few inches above the knee. It was a flowy fabric and was really simple but cute. Ashley’s was a pink color and Angel’s was blue. They bought silver heels and matching necklaces and bracelets to go along with it.

“I love it. We’re fashion geniuses.” Ashley laughed looking over the outfits. “We’re gonna look so good tomorrow.”

“Duh!” Angel laughed. “I’m so excited this is going to be so much fun!”

“When’s Aaron coming in?” Ashley asked as she zipped back up the garment bag, not wanting her dress to get messed up.”

“I think either late tonight or tomorrow morning. I’m not really sure.”

“Well he’ll have the two best dates.” She laughed. “Let’s go eat dinner I’m starving.” She said as they both headed downstairs.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was Ashley’s last day in California and the award show had gone off flawlessly. Ashley, Angel and Aaron had so much fun walking the red carpet like James Bond with Aaron in his white suit.

She had seen AJ outside and he almost blew a gasket when he saw what she had done to her hair. He didn’t see it as such a big deal but he knew where Denise stood on it and knew she would be furious that Ashley had disobeyed her. He warned her how mad she would be but she didn’t care. Besides the award show wasn’t broadcasting for another week so she didn’t have to worry about her finding out before she could go home and explain herself…or so she thought.



The girls had just finished eating lunch and were laying out by the pool with some friends when Ashley’s cell phone rang. She looked at the caller ID and saw AJ’s name.

“Hey bro. What’s goin on?” she asked flipping open the phone.

“You’re in troubbbllleeee.” He sang into the phone.

“What are you talking about?” she said confused.

“Mom just called me furious because she saw some pictures from the awards last night online and let’s just say she’s not too happy about your little makeover.” He laughed.

“So. It’s done and over with now. Let her be mad. It’s my hair.” She replied in a snotty tone.

“Yeah. If I were you I’d drop that attitude before you see her because that will just make matters worse.” He warned her.

“Alex, I can make my own decisions and fight my own battles. I don’t need you to tell me how to handle it.” She rolled her eyes. She hated that everyone treated her like a child.

“All I’m saying is she’s really mad that you went behind her back and did this when she told you not to. I’m just warning you for the storm you’re in for when you get home tomorrow. So you better enjoy the sun today cuz’ I have a feeling you won’t be seeing it for a while.” He laughed.

“Whatever Alex. I’ll deal with that later. I’m trying to have fun today.” She sighed not wanting to think about returning back to Florida.

“Okay okay I won’t cramp your style.” He laughed. “I have to get going anyway we have rehearsal soon. Love ya kiddo.”

“Love ya too. Bye.” She hung up and sighed.

“What was that about?” Tiffany, one of Angel’s friends asked.

“Just my annoying brother letting me know that my mom knows that I dyed my hair and that she’s really mad. Like I care?” she laughed.

“I told you she’d be mad.” Angel reminded her.

“I know but I wanted it and she always tells me to go for what you want so I did.” She took a sip of her lemonade “I don’t wanna think about it right now. What’s she gonna do ground me for a few weeks? It’s completely worth it.”

“Well we all love it.” Melanie, the other girl hanging out with them chimed in.

“Thanks. Now that’s enough of that let’s get back to tanning.” She said leaning back in her chair and turning the music back up.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The long weekend had come to an end and it was time for Ashley to return home to Orlando. She knew she would be in for it when she got back for disobeying Denise on the matters of her hair, but she didn’t care. She did it to show her that she could and would do whatever she wanted.


When she finally landed in Orlando Denise and Tony were waiting for her at the airport. She was never so relieved to see Tony in her life. She knew that Denise wouldn’t argue in front of him.

“Hey Ashley! You look great!” Tony greeted her with a hug. “Did you do something to your hair? It looks wonderful.”

Denise shot him a look. Obviously he wasn’t up to speed on the whole hair calamity.

“Let’s get going.” Denise said firmly as Tony took Ashley’s bag for her and they made there way to the car.


The car ride home was silent. Tony had gotten the hint from the death glare he received from Denise that the hair was not a good topic. Ashley was hoping that he would come inside to buy her more time but he just helped her bring her bag inside and then left. He knew better then to stick around when Denise was angry.


“In the living room, now. Sit on the couch and don’t speak until I come in there.” Denise said sternly no more then a second after Tony had walked out the door.


Ashley knew better then to test her patience now so she did as she was told. She walked into the living room and took a seat on the love seat grabbing onto a pillow nervously waiting for Denise to come in.


“So what exactly were you thinking when you did this?” Denise asked as she walked in and took a seat across from Ashley. The thing that always worried Ashley was how calm Denise stayed when she was reprimanding you. She never yelled so you couldn’t judge just how mad she was.

Ashley took a deep breath and looked down at her feet. “I don’t know.” She said quietly.

“Look at me when I’m speaking to you.” Denise instructed her firmly. Ashley looked up at her biting her lip nervously. “Did you think that I wasn’t going to be mad?”

“No, I just wanted it and I thought maybe once you saw it you’d like it.”

“It has nothing to do with me liking it or not Ashley. The fact of the matter is you deliberately went behind my back and did something that I told you not to do. You didn’t like my answer so you decided to do what you wanted anyway.”

“But it wasn’t fair! I’m 13 years old I’m not a little baby!” she said a little frustrated.

“Life isn’t fair. There are always going to be times that you cant do or get everything you want and you have to learn to accept that or you’ll never get anywhere in life.” Denise sighed. “The bottom line is you were wrong and I think you know you were wrong. Am I right?”

“Yes.” Ashley gave in knowing she wouldn’t win the battle. She knew from the beginning doing what she wanted would come with consequences so now it was time to face the music.

“You’re grounded for two weeks. Extra chores and restricted phone, computer and TV privileges. No friends over and you are to come home right after play practice.”

“How restricted is restricted?” she asked.

“I’ll decide that as time goes on. For now thirty minutes a day. Now go upstairs and get ready for bed. You have school in the morning.” She said getting up.

“Mom?” Ashley asked before she left the room.

“What?” Denise turned back around.

“I’m sorry.” She said giving her a hug.

“It’s okay. Just don’t do it again or the punishment will be more severe.” Denise warned her.

Ashley just nodded and retreated upstairs to shower and go to bed. She informed Angel about her punishment and thought about her decision as she lay in bed that night and was happy that she went against Denise’s wishes. She loved her new hair and was sure everyone at school would too.

She didn’t care too much about her punishment, she still got to see Matt all day at school and spend time with him at play practice. Two weeks would go by in no time and she would still have won the battle. She fell asleep with a smile on her face anticipating everyone’s thoughts on her hair the next day.