- Text Size +
Denise put the last few items in her suitcase before closing it up. She double-checked her purse for everything she would need and brought her bag downstairs.

Ashley was sitting in the living room with Angel and Tony talking when Denise came in.

“Got everything together?” Tony asked looking up at her.

“I believe so.” She smiled turning her attention to the two girls. “Are you sure you’ll be ok here for the night? Maybe I should ask Erin to stay with you until tomorrow when Alex comes.”

“Mom, we don’t need a baby sitter, it’s just one night. I don’t even know why Alex has to come. We can take care of ourselves.” she groaned.

“I’m not leaving two 13 year old girls home alone for ten days Ashley. That’s insane and illegal.” She reminded her. “We already discussed this. Whatever has been going on between you and Alex these past few months needs to stop. He’s here recording for the week and you two need to work out your differences.”

“Fine. When is he getting here?” she asked un-amused.

“Sometime tomorrow. Now you call me when you get home from school tomorrow to let me know how everything is going and have fun on your break. I’ll see you next Sunday.” She kissed the two girls goodbye as Tony helped her move her bags to his car.

“Bye mom, you two have fun in Key West…and behave.” She grinned.

“Take your own advice.” Denise hugged her as she got in the car.

Ashley and Angel waved from the driveway as they pulled off.

“Call in the troops.” Angel laughed as Ashley reached for her cell phone.

“Hey guys, coast is clear.” She said simply then hung up.” They’re on their way.”

Both girls walked back inside to change before Ashley’s friends arrived.

They had debated about having a big party at first but decided on just having the normal gang over for a big sleepover.

“So are any of these other guys cute?” Angel asked as they set out chips and soda in the movie room. “Now that Jordan and I broke up I can be on the prowl again.”

“What ever happened to Frankie?” Ashley laughed.

“That was over like 3 weeks later. He was such a jerk.” She rolled her eyes.

“What about Jordan?”

“I told you. He was too needy. He wanted me to stay home this whole week because he’d miss me too much so I told him to miss me for good.” Ashley couldn’t help but laugh at her friend.

“You would probably like Jason.” Ashley finally answered her question. “He’s Matt’s neighbor. He’s got dark hair and green eyes and he’s in high school.”

“You know I like them older.” Angel laughed. “So are you excited that Matt is staying over?”

“I guess.” She looked at her funny. “There’s not much to be excited about.”

“You guys have been dating for like six months now…have you even hooked up with him?” she grinned at her.

“Well what do you consider hooking up?” She asked nervously.

“Not like sex or anything loser.” Angel laughed. “I’m just talking about like more then just kissing.”

“He’s tried. I just like I dunno, I get nervous.” She blushed. “I dunno what the heck I’m doing.”

“You just have to go with the flow.” Angel smiled. “Just do what feels right, believe me it just comes naturally if you let it.”

“I can’t stress about it. I just wanna have fun tonight before the big bad brother comes to ruin it all.”

“You still haven’t talked to him since the fight?”

“He said he wanted me out of his life and he got his wish. It’s not like he’s tried to apologize.”

“Well maybe things will work themselves out while he’s here. It’s not like he can ignore you when you’re in the same house.”

“Yea we’ll see.” Ashley sighed as the buzzer rang for the front gate. Ashley buzzed everyone in and greeted them at the door.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Ok so you guys were in charge of the movies…what did you get?” she asked looking over at Matt and Jason after everyone had said their hello’s and moved into the movie room.

“I Know What You Did Last Summer, Halloween H20 and Final Destination.” Jason grinned.

“Of course you had to get all scary movies.” Marissa rolled her eyes.

“Don’t worry ladies, we’re here to protect you.” David chimed in grinning at Marissa.

“Yea until you get scared yourselves and scream like little girls.” Kim teased.

“Hey, we were like 7.” Matt defended them.

The girls just laughed rolling their eyes.

“So what are we watching first?” Angel asked taking a seat next to Jason to look threw the movies.

“How’s about Halloween?” Ashley suggested.

“Sounds good to me.” They all agreed.

Ashley took the movie and set it up then joined everyone else taking a seat next to Matt as she started the movie.


Many screams and jumps later the movie had come to an end. Ashley peeled herself away from Matt’s shoulder, where she had been hiding her eyes throughout most of the movie, and switched off the screen.

“I hate Michael Myers.” Kelly laughed.“He’s so freaky.”

“That’s the point.” Steve teased.

“So what’s next?” Marissa asked.

“How’s about some pizza?” Ashley laughed. “I need a break from being scared.”

“Food!” all the guys chimed in as they made their way to the kitchen.



They all sat around the pool chowing down on their pizza and talking about the things they could do over their break when Ashley interrupted them.

“So I really don’t wanna go to school tomorrow. I think vacation should start now.” She laughed.

“I don’t think anyone really wants to go babe.” Matt laughed.

“So then we shouldn’t go.” She said simply.

“Wait am I hearing this right? Are you, little miss perfect, actually suggesting you guys cut school tomorrow?” Jason asked with a shocked expression. He always teased Ashley or never wanting to do anything that could get her in trouble.

“It’s not like we’d miss anything important.” She laughed. “and yes I am suggesting it, don’t be fooled by this sweet face, I told you I’m not always good.”

“I dunno…” Kelly said timidly.

“Yea, I don’t wanna get grounded over break.” Kimberly chimed in.

“Well I’m staying home and anyone else who wants to can have fun with me here.” She grinned.

“I’m in. Our mom's out of town anyway.” Matt smiled at her.

“Yea me too.” Marissa and David said.

“I don’t have school so I’m in.” Jason laughed.

“What about you guys?” Matt asked Steven and Jesse.

“I’m out. I’m already on probation, if I get caught cutting that’s automatic suspension.” Jesse said.

“My mom would just kill me.” Steven laughed.

“Well you party poopers are gonna miss out on some fun but it’s ok.” Ashley laughed. “How’s about we go watch another movie now.”

“I wanna watch Final Destination.” Marissa said as they reconvened in the movie room. “I never got to see it when it came out.”

“Me either.” Angel said handing it to Ashley.

Ashley put the movie in and again took a seat next to Matt on the couches.

She watched, her eyes glued to the screen, as the first 20 minutes of the movie unfolded into a horrific plane crash. She didn’t even notice the tears that had begun to fall down her cheeks. Matt snapped her out of her trance.

“Ash are you ok?” he looked over at her tear stained face.

She just shook her head ‘no’ and got up quickly leaving the room.

Angel looked over at Ashley and realized what happened. She got up to go after her but Matt stopped her.

“You stay. I’ll see what’s wrong.” He assured her but Angel followed him anyway. They found Ashley sitting on the top of the stairs crying.

“Ash, I’m sorry I didn’t know that was in the movie.” Angel sat down next to her putting an arm around her.

“I’m sorry, but I’m lost…maybe I should just let you two talk.” Matt turned to walk away.

“No stay.” Ashley grabbed his arm. “I’m sorry, I should explain.”

She looked over at Angel. “Thanks for coming to see if I was ok but you shouldn’t miss the movie. I need to talk to Matt anyway.”

“Ok but if you need me come get me.” She hugged her before going downstairs.

Ashley took Matt’s hand and led him into the living room. She sat down and wiped her eyes that were still filled with tears and smiled at him a little.

“So I probably look like some crazy psycho for high tailing it out of some random movie huh?”

“I wouldn’t say crazy psycho maybe just like weirdo?” he teased. She shoved him playfully. “No but really. What’s wrong? Why did that movie freak you out so much?”

Ashley took a deep breath. She knew she couldn’t hide her secret forever and she knew he would understand.

“There are few things about me that I haven’t been completely honest about with everyone…It’s nothing major but just things.” Matt looked at her confused. “You know how I told you that Denise was my mom?”

Matt nodded and she continued.

“Well my mom, my real mom…she died about a year and a half ago.” Matt’s eyes got wide. “She died in a plane crash…that big one in Orlando, I dunno if you ever saw anything on it and I know that I shouldn’t have lied to you and I just didn’t want anyone feeling sorry for me and…”

“Ash, it’s ok. I understand, I wouldn’t have known how to tell me either.” Matt cut her off on her rambling spree giving her a hug. “I just wish I would have known. I would have never picked that movie. I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok, really.” She half smiled. “I just try not to think about it that much and that really just hit the nail on the head ya’know?”

Matt leaned in and kissed her softly. “Why don’t we just ditch out on the rest of the movie and go lay down. It’s been a crazy day.

“I’d like that.” She smiled a little more.

“You go upstairs and change and I’ll let the others know that we’re calling it a night.” He said getting up from the couch.

“Can you ask Angel to explain what’s going on to them…I’m sure they think I’m crazy for just running out.”

“No problem.” He kissed her once more and headed down to the others.


Ashley went upstairs and quickly changed into shorts and a t-shirt and pulled down the covers on her bed. Matt came in a few minutes later already changed into sweatpants and a wife beater.

“All set for bed?” he asked putting his bag down.

“I just gotta wash my face…make yourself comfortable.” She smiled walking into her bathroom.

She came back out moments later and joined Matt in her bed snuggling close to him.

“Thanks for ditching on the movie with me.” She kissed him and switched on the TV then shut off the lamp by her bed.

“Alone time with you is better then any movie.” He smiled.

“Well aren’t you just Mr. Smooth?” she teased.

“Hey when you got it, you got it.” He grinned jokingly.

“You wish.” She laughed closing her eyes. “Just go to sleep loser.”


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Wake up love birds!” Angel yelled smacking Ashley in the head with a pillow.

“What the hell?” she opened her eyes to find Angel and Marissa standing at the edge of her bed.

“We were nice enough to get up and make breakfast and let you, the host, sleep in but now its time to get up and begin our fun day of cutting school.” Marissa laughed.

Ashley glanced at the clock and saw it was already 10:30. She shook Matt to wake him. With his arm draped across her she couldn’t get up until he did. He groaned and opened his eyes smiling at her threw tired eyes.

“Morning.” He turned over and sat up finally noticing his sister and Angel grinning at him. “Oh hi guys.”

“Get up lazy bums.” Marissa said as she headed toward the door. “Five minutes you’re expected downstairs for breakfast.

“Sleep good?” Ashley smiled at him as she got out of bed.

“Yea I had a really comfortable pillow.” He teased tapping her shoulder.

“Glad I could be of some use.” She grabbed a bathing suit and shorts out of her dresser and headed into the bathroom to change. “Ok breakfast time.”


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


It was a few hours later and everyone was having fun out by the pool. Ashley was laying on a lounge chair when Matt jumped out of the pool and walked over to her shaking his hair out on her.

“Hey!” she squealed as the water hit her.

“Sorry.” He grinned evilly. “Why don’t you come in the pool with me?”

“The waters cold.” She tossed a towel at him.

“Then come in the hot tub with me. I’ll keep you warm.” He grinned pulling her up off the chair and towards the hot tub.

“I don’t wanna go in the water.” She tried to pull back.

“Please.” He smiled at her. She could never resist his smile it was too cute.

“Damn you and that smile.” She laughed and rolled her eyes as she got in the hot tub, Matt following.

“See the waters hot.”

“Duh that’s why they call it a hot tub.” She laughed splashing him.

“Hey!” he splashed her back. They splashed back and forth at each other a little more before Matt pulled her over to his side and began tickling her sides.

“Matt! Stop!” she squealed laughing.

“Can I have a kiss?” he laughed still tickling her. By now she was laughing so hard she could barely breathe so she nodded yes.

He grinned and stopped tickling her turning her face towards his he kissed her deeply. Ashley’s mind was racing, each time he kissed her she felt more desire to keep kissing him. They were engaged in some intense lip locking when Matt got hit on the head with something. He pulled away from her and looked around seeing a beach ball floating in the hot tub. He turned back to see Jason grinning at them.

“Get a room would you?” he laughed. “No one wants to watch you two make out.”

“You’re such an ass.” Matt rolled his eyes.

Ashley could feel her cheeks flush in embarrassment. She had forgotten everyone else was around. She got up from Matt’s lap and got out of the hot tub wrapping a towel around her self. Matt followed her out of the hot tub grabbing a towel him self.

“Sorry. You know he can be a jerk sometimes.” Matt smiled half heartedly at her.

Ashley ignored him and grabbed his hand leading him towards the house.

“Come inside with me?” she smiled back at him.

“Ok...” He raised an eye brow at her in question.

“Just come inside with me.”

Everyone else looked off as the two went inside.

“When I said get a room I didn’t think she’d take my advice.” Jason laughed.

Ashley kept a hold of Matt’s hand as she led him upstairs and into her room. She shut the door behind her and turned back to him with a bashful smile...



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


“No, I just got in.” AJ said as he got his luggage and walked to the taxi station. “I dunno, I have to go home first I guess. I got stuck watching my little sister for the week.”

He listened to the person on the other end then continued as he got into a car and gave them his information.

“No my house is pretty much off limits this week…I know it sucks but it’s not like I can just get rid of her.” He laughed.

“Babe I know you wanted to see me but she has the upper hand. I mess this shit up she squeals and I’m screwed. I don’t need to be hearing shit from the world about how I can’t do anything right.”

He groaned as the girl complained. “I know babe but like I said me and my sister aren’t really on good terms. She’s just waiting for me to mess up so that she can use it against me.”


The car pulled up in front of the house and AJ paid retrieving his bags from the trunk.


“Listen babe, I just got home. I’ll try and stop by later but I have the house to myself for a while before the terror gets home from school. Jetlag is a bitch and I’m tired as hell. I’m just gonna go relax and then I’ll call you and we’ll figure shit out.“ he hung up and phone and made his way into the not so empty house.
Chapter End Notes:
gotta love cliff hangers he he...