- Text Size +
Ashley heard the front door open and she quickly threw the contents back into the bag and put it back where she found it. They quickly rushed out of his room relieved to see the boys walking back threw the front door. They were glad to not be caught snooping.

“What's up with you guys, you look like you saw a ghost.“ Matt looked at them concerned.

The girls descended the stairs and walked past the boys into the living room taking a seat on the couch.

“Hello? Earth to girls do you copy?" Jason teased. "What did you do sniff to much cleaning chemicals?"

“We found drugs." Ashley could barely make out the sentence without her mind going crazy with thoughts and concerns for her brother.

“What? Where?" Matt asked in shock.

“In my brothers room...”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ashley was so confused. She would have never thought that AJ would do drugs. The more she thought about it the more it infuriated her. She knew that had to be the reason for all the changes he had made. She knew she had to approach him about it as much as it scared her


AJ walked in the door and found the kids sitting in the living room in silence.

“Looks like you guys did a good job." he said. No one looked up at him except for Ashley who shook her head in disapproval.

What the hell’s going on with you guys? " He looked at them curiously.

“We found something...in your room" Ashley began. Their eyes locked and he knew what was coming next. “We found drugs Alex. Please tell me your not doing drugs. “

“Ashley lets go talk upstairs.” He said threw clenched teeth trying not 2 show his anger.

“Are you doing drugs?” She asked again with more anger staring him dead on.

“I said lets talk about this upstairs!” He grabbed her arm and started pulling her towards the stairs his grip firm.

“Alex let go! You’re hurting me!” She yelled trying to pull her arm from his grasp.

He ignored her and continued up the stairs his grip still firm.

“I said let go!” she pulled her wrist away as they reached the top of the stairs. She rubbed her wrist and followed him into her room. “I can walk up the stairs by my self you know.”

AJ slammed the door to his room and glared at her furiously.

“Just what the hell do you think you’re doing asking me that in front of those people? That’s all I need is for rumors to start floating around.” He yelled at her.

“Those people are my friends and this has nothing to do with them. It has to do with you and who you’re becoming.” She stared at him with concern.

“Who I’m becoming? What the hell do you know about who I’m becoming? You know nothing about me.” He was becoming madder by the second and it was beginning to scare her.

“Yea apparently I don’t because I never thought you would be stupid enough to do drugs.” She could feel the tears forming in her eyes but refused to let them fall. “Don’t you care about yourself and what that stuff can do to you? You could die Alex.”

He could see the fear and sadness in her face and as much as he wanted to care he couldn’t bring himself to.

“I already told you Ashley, what I do is my business. If you don’t like it then stay out of my life.” He was a lot colder then he had been the first time.

Ashley stared at him in disbelief. How could he not care about himself? She couldn’t deal with this anymore.

“You know what. You’re pathetic.” She shook her head at him. “Screw up your life if you want. I don’t care anymore.”

She walked out the door and down the stairs. The tears that had been threatening to fall just moments before had now been replaced with anger, pity and lost hope. She walked down the stairs and into the living room. Everyone looked up at her still in silence waiting for her to break the ice.

“I have one more night before my mom gets back, let’s just go have fun. I can’t stay here.” She said showing no emotion as she walked towards the door not waiting for a reply. They all looked at each other before following her.

The whole walk back to Jason’s house was made in silence. Ashley trailed behind everyone by a few feet and no one bothered to push her to talk. They could see she was upset.

When they arrived back Angel waited by the door stopping Ashley before she went inside.

“Are you alright?” Angel asked her.

“I’m fine.” She said emotionless. “I just want to forget about all of this.”

“Well if you wanna talk…” Angel started.

“I know…but like I said I just wanna forget this ever happened and have some fun.” She smiled a little and went inside.

Angel sighed knowing she was holding back. It wasn’t good but she knew she needed time to process everything. She followed Ashley inside and went into the living room to sit with everyone else. She watched Ashley as she sat secluded on a chair stuck in her own thoughts until she broke the silence.

“We need to party but I’m kind of over vodka and beer do you have anything else?” Ashley asked looking at Jason.

“Umm I think we have tequila but it’s a lot stronger then the vodka.”

“Good.” She mumbled as Jason walked over to the liquor cabinet and pulled out the bottle of Jose Cuervo.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Babe, I think you had enough.” Matt said pulling Ashley’s glass away from her as she stumbled across the living room.

“Oh stop being a party pooper.” She laughed sitting on the couch and pulling him down next to her.

“Ash, this is like you’re fourth drink and you had two shots. You’re trashed.” He put the glass down on the table. Everyone had drank a little that night but Ashley had gone a little over board.

“I’m perfectly fine!” she slurred threw her words. “Come on, let loose and have fun.” She pulled him in for a kiss but he stopped her.

“Ash, you need to chill out. Why don’t we go lay down?”

“Oh, lay down.” She grinned at him. “I know what you want.” She said in a sing- song voice tracing a finger across his chest.

“Babe. I really think you need to lie down and just get some rest. It’s been a really crazy day and you have a lot on your mind.”

“I see how it is.” She said getting angry with him. “I let you have sex with me and then that’s it I’m not good for anything else.” She yelled getting the attention of everyone else. She pushed him away from her and stumbled up the stairs.

“Ashley wait.” He followed her. She pushed into the bedroom and tried to shut the door on him before he could follow her in but had no luck.

“Leave me alone. I don’t want to talk to you.” She made her way to her bag trying to find clothes. She struggled with the zipper and eventually gave up in a big huff throwing the bag down.

“Can we just talk please? You know what you said downstairs isn’t true right?” he grabbed the bag from her and unzipped it pulling out pajamas for her. “Here go change and we’ll talk ok?”

“I don’t wanna talk.” She said taking the pajamas from him and making her way into the bathroom.

Ashley was in there for a minute when Matt heard a loud crash. He jumped up to make sure she was ok and found Ashley laughing on the floor of the bathroom.

“I lost my balance.” She kept laughing.

“Come on. I’ll help you.” He reached a hand out to her pulling her off the floor. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine. I’m fine.” She said walking back out into the bedroom.

Matt took a deep breath and followed her back out. He sat down on the bed and made her sit next to him.

“I know you’re not ok about everything that went on today. Why don’t you want to talk about it?” he looked her in the eyes. She could see his concern and was beginning to feel bad for acting the way she had so far that night.

“Matt I…” she trailed off grabbing her stomach as she felt a wave of nausea rush threw her. “Hold that thought.” She said as she ran into the bathroom just making it to the toilet in time. Matt ran after her and found her hugging the toilet as she threw up. He quickly filled up a cup with water and sat beside her pulling her hair out of the way and rubbing her back.

Ashley spent the next forty-five minutes hovering over the toilet ridding herself of all the alcohol she had previously drank. Matt stayed with her the whole time making sure she had plenty of water and that she was ok.

Ashley finally leaned back against the wall sure that she had nothing left in her.

“I’m never drinking again.” She groaned rubbing her head. “Is there any Tylenol or anything?”

“Yea. Angel brought in some before.” He grabbed the bottle and refilled her cup handing her two pills. She took them sighed leaning her head back against the wall.

“If you’re feeling better you should try and lay down.” Matt said as he helped her up from the floor.

Ashley quickly brushed her teeth then he helped her over to the bed. He handed her another shirt to change into and pulled back the covers. She climbed in the bed and he pulled the covers up for her. He left a glass of water on the nightstand and the garbage pail by the side of the bed.

“I’ll let you get some rest.” He smiled and started for the door. Ashley grabbed his arm stopping him.

“Don’t leave me please.” She looked at him with tears in her eyes. “I don’t wanna be alone.”

Matt smiled at her and kissed her forehead climbing into the bed next to her. He wrapped his arm around her waist and she leaned back into his embrace. She closed her eyes and finally let all the tears that she had been holding back all day fall.

“How can he not care about himself?” she asked through her tears. “He could die and he doesn’t even care.”

“I wish I knew what to say.” Matt sighed. “It’s hard to get threw to someone like that. He has to learn the hard way.”

“I just wish he would talk to me, or to anyone, and tell me what’s wrong. Everyone said he changed but he’s the only one who can’t see it. I can’t tell my mom or anyone he’d never forgive me.”

“Ashley you confronted him and that’s probably the most someone has done. You can’t keep kicking yourself for his mistakes. You can’t change how he is.” Matt kissed her cheek and wiped away some of the tears that were falling.

“I guess you’re right but I just hate that I can’t help him.” Ashley sighed.

“Just try and get some sleep. We can talk more about this in the morning ok?”

Ashley nodded and closed her eyes. She was asleep in no time, although it wasn’t peaceful.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ashley groaned covering her head with her pillow as her phone blared loudly. The high-pitched noise of her ring tone did nothing for her growing headache. She kept her eyes closed fearing the brightness of the sun as she grabbed her phone off the nightstand and answered it.

“Hello.” She grumbled into the phone.

“Ashley? Are you alright, you sound sick.” Denise said concerned from the other end.

Ashley quickly cleared her throat and ignored her growing hangover sitting up in bed.

“No, sorry mom I was just in a deep sleep.” She lied. “I just need some water my throat is dry.”

“Oh ok. Well you should be up by now its one in the afternoon.” Denise informed her.

Ashley glanced at the clock in disbelief. She didn’t think she had slept that late. Looking over she noticed Matt wasn’t in the room anymore either.

“We’re almost back in Orlando.” Denise started again catching Ashley’s attention once more. “We should be back in about forty-five minutes or so. We wanted to go out to an early dinner. Alex has to go somewhere tonight and I thought it would be nice for all of us to go out.”

Ashley rolled her eyes. This is just what she needed on top of her hangover, to be forced to sit and play nice with AJ.

“Sounds fun mom, I’ll let Angel know.”

“Make sure you’re ready when we get back. Call me if you need anything.” Denise said before hanging up.


Ashley groaned throwing her head back in bed. She rolled her eyes in anticipation of the upcoming dinner. She got out of bed and found her sunglasses, the mere thought of light made her head spin. She put them on and trudged downstairs. She found everyone sitting outside talking and listening to music.

“She lives!” Jason yelled seeing her. She cringed at the noise and glared at him.

“Not feeling to hot huh?” he laughed “Tequila tends to have that effect.

She flicked him off and took a seat on Matt’s lap resting her head on his shoulder.

“Did you sleep good?” he asked in a whisper. “I didn’t want to wake you up, I figured you’d kill me.”

“Good choice.” She grumbled not moving an inch. “My head is killing me.”

“You should take some more Tylenol. It would help.” He rubbed her back a little trying to make her feel better.

“I’ll go get you some.” Angel volunteered going inside. She came back out shortly and handed Ashley the Tylenol with a glass of water. Ashley swallowed it then looked over at her.

“Thanks, we have to go back to my house. We have family dinner.” She said excitedly, the sarcasm apparent in her voice.

“When?” Angel looked over. “Can you handle that right now?”

“I don’t really have a choice. We have to be ready in like an hour.”

“When do you want to leave?”

“I guess now. I’m not looking forward to this walk.” She sighed getting up to go put her things together. As she made her way back inside her phone rang again. She groaned seeing the called ID but picked it up anyway.


“What do you want?” she said in a snotty tone.

“Well hi Alex, how are you today? Oh I’m fine how are you Ashley? Bitchy as always.” AJ said on the other side. She rolled her eyes.

“What do you want?” she asked again ignoring his attempts at comedy.

“You need to come home.”

“I know that. I already talked to mom I’m getting my stuff and then I’ll walk home.”

“Where are you and I’ll come get you. You need to be ready when she gets here.”

“Wow it only took what four days for you to finally wonder where I am?” now it was her turn for the sarcasm.

“I’m trying to be nice here, let’s not ruin it.” He sighed.

“Oh nice is what you’re going for? Why, because now I have dirt on you? Just pick me up by Matt’s house, I’m next door.” She said hanging up before he had a chance to add anything in.


As much as she didn’t want to be around him that one-mile walk home wasn’t looking appealing right now. She threw all her things back into her bags just as Angel walked in with her stuff.


“Alex is coming to pick us up, I told him we’d be outside.”

“He is?”

“The tables have turned yet again and I have the upper hand now so he’s trying to be nice so I won’t spill his little secret.” She informed her. “Too bad he doesn’t realize that I don’t care.” She lied.


She lugged her bags downstairs then walked out back to say goodbye to everyone. AJ pulled up just as they were walking outside. Matt helped them load their bags in the trunk.

“Feel better.” He smiled and kissed her as she climbed in the truck.

Matt shut the door and the slam made her cringe. The Tylenol had started working but it didn’t do much. Her head was still pounding. She shut off the music and buckled her seat belt staring out the window, hoping he would just drive home in silence.

“Why do you need to feel better?” she knew silence was just wishful thinking.

“I have a headache.” She mumbled.

“Take your sunglasses off.” He looked at her still not pulling away from the curb.

“Can we just go home? We have to be ready soon and I still need to shower.” She ignored him.

“Sunglasses off first.” He looked at her seriously.

She pulled off her sunglasses squinting as the light hit her eyes. He studied her emotionless face for a moment but didn’t say anything. Sighing he turned away from her and began driving home. When they arrived at the house Angel hoped out of the car to retrieve the bags. Ashley was about to open the door when AJ stopped her.

“We’ll be in, in a minute.” He said to Angel as she passed the car. She looked back at Ashley who just shrugged giving her the ok to leave her.

“Nice hangover you have there.” AJ said sarcastically. “What possessed you to drink?”

“What possessed you to do drugs?” she shot back.

“Ashley this has nothing to do with me. You’re thirteen and you shouldn’t be drinking and getting so shit faced that you have a major hangover the next day.” He ignored her comment.

“Since when do you care what I do? Last time I checked you were kicking me out of the house and telling me to go have fun, and that’s exactly what I did.”

“I meant spend time with your friends not go completely crazy. I thought that you were a good kid I didn’t think you’d get into trouble.”

“Yea? And I didn’t expect you to be a loser druggie.” She didn’t care how much her words hurt him she was angry and wanted him to know it.

“Will you drop the drug shit!” he yelled. “I am not doing drugs.” He knew he was lying to her and to himself.

“Oh then what were they doing in your room… wait let me guess you were ‘holding them for a friend.’” She said sarcastically.

“You really need to cut out this little attitude that you have going on.”

“I’ll cut it out when you stop lying and being a jerk. ”

“Yes, Ashley I’ve tried it a few times but that doesn’t mean that I do drugs. Is that what you want to hear? That I’m not perfect and I’ve done stupid shit? Well then there you go.”

“You’re full of crap Alex. Trying it once is one thing trying it a few times and having it on you means you do drugs. Face the music and realize you have a problem.”

“You’re impossible! What the hell do you want from me?” he could feel the anger rising throughout his body.

“I want the truth! I want you to be yourself!” she yelled. “You found me in bed with a guy and then you go and send me off with him to do whatever I want. The real you would have grounded me for life! I wanted you to stop me and to care, but you didn’t!” she felt the tears flowing freely from her eyes as she finally told him how she felt.

“I’m sorry.” He sighed rubbing he head.

“Yea. You are.” She said coldly wiping her eyes. She got out of the car and grabbed her bags heading inside.

AJ punched the dashboard in anger. He had really messed up this time and there was nothing he could do to make things better, she had enough of him.