- Text Size +
Three weeks later and Ashley and Denise were on their way to California for her audition. Denise still wasn’t sure about picking up and moving to California just so Ashley could attend high school but she knew that she would hate to hold her back from an amazing opportunity if it presented it self.

Ashley tried to convince Denise to stay in a hotel near the school rather then in AJ’s house in Malibu with no luck. She hoped she wouldn’t bump into him much but she knew it was too good to be true. Denise was determined get them to talk again but Ashley knew it wouldn’t happen any time soon.

The boys had started their overseas portion of the Black and Blue tour and had just returned from a few South American tour dates. They had a short break before taking the tour on the road in the states. Ashley wished her audition had only been a few days sooner so she wouldn’t have to deal with AJ.

They arrived at LAX and retrieved their luggage making their way outside to the pickup area. Denise spotted AJ’s truck and waved him down. Ashley rolled her eyes as he pulled up to the curb and hoped out to greet them.

“Mom!” he said hugging Denise.“I’m so glad you’re here! We all missed you on tour.”
“Well you know I missed you boys!” she smiled handing him her suitcase to put n the trunk.

Ashley didn’t fail to notice how he just passed her over, trying to keep up a conversation with Denise so he wouldn’t have to talk to her. She put her suitcase in the trunk and got in the car waiting for them to get in. All she wanted to do was go back to the house and relax before her audition tomorrow.

They pulled into the driveway of the house a while later and Ashley jumped out of the car before AJ could even shut it off. She grabbed her suitcase from the trunk and waited by the front door. They walked inside and AJ put Denise’s bags down by the stairs.

“AJ the house looks wonderful.” Denise said looking around at the newly decorated living room. Before he left for tour he had redecorated most of the house.

“Wait until you see the surprise I was telling you about.” He said picking up her bags once more and heading up the stairs. Denise followed grabbing Ashley’s hand to make her come along. He stopped in front of a closed door at the end of one hallway and turned around to her.

“Ok you have to close your eyes first.” He said. Denise complied covering her eyes with her hand. He opened the door and led her inside to a beautifully decorated bed room. “Ok you can open them now.”

Denise gasped taking in the room before her. Ashley could see her eyes well up with tears and she hugged AJ.

“Alex, this is wonderful.” She could barely speak looking around at the serene room.

“I just figured that when you come out here you need a nice place to relax. I only want the best for you.” He smiled and kissed her forehead as she hugged him again.

Ashley rolled her eyes. He was really laying it on thick. The room was really nice but he was obviously trying to make himself seem like the caring and perfect son that Denise was beginning to think no longer existed.

“It’s perfect I love it, and I love you. Thank you so much!” she hugged him once more before further exploring the room.

“Enjoy it and I’ll order us some lunch. I’m sure you’re starving.” He said as he turned to leave the room brushing past Ashley on his way out. He still hadn’t even said one word to her. As much as she convinced herself that was what she wanted it was really beginning to bug her.

“Umm where’s my room?” Ashley finally spoke breaking the ice as she followed him into the hallway.

He stopped at the top of the stairs and turned back around.

“Oh, almost forgot you were here.” He said coldly. “I guess you can just pick a guest room.”

“Mom gets this whole elaborate room and I get a guest room?” she cocked an eyebrow crossing her arms.

“Oh I’m sorry, last time I checked you weren’t part of my life. Didn’t know someone who didn’t exist could have their own room.”

She narrowed her eyes at him and turned on her heels heading back down the hall to find a room.

AJ smirked knowing he got the best of her and made his way back downstairs.




Denise and AJ were sitting in the kitchen eating lunch when Ashley made her way downstairs. She wanted to wait until they were almost done so she could eat in peace. As she approached the kitchen she heard them talking and decided to do a little ease dropping.

“Mom are you seriously going to uproot your whole life just so she can go to some stupid high school? You know the only reason she wants to be out here is because Angels here.” AJ stated.

“If I remember correctly I uprooted my whole life to move to Orlando for a certain someone when he wanted to be a performer.” She rebutted.

“But mom we were just moving a few hours north…this is all the way across the country. I mean is she even any good that this is worth it?”

“Alex!” Denise shot him a look. “Ashley is very talented, you would know that if you hadn’t backed out of coming to see her perform in her play.”

“Mom, I already apologized a million times about that. All I’m saying is you should make sure she’s really serious about this before you make such a big commitment.” He put away their dishes and put the extra food back into the refrigerator. “I just don’t want you to regret it later.”

“Alex, you worry about keeping your life on track and I’ll worry about Ashley and her future. She really wants this and she has the talent. I can’t hold her back from that. Just give her a chance, you’d be surprised at how much talent she has…she reminds me of you at that age.”

“I just want what’s best for you mom, that’s all.” He said smiling at her.

“Well let me be the one to decide what’s best for me ok?” she hugged him. He glanced at the clock on the wall and turned to head out.

“I have a meeting in LA soon so I have to get going, but I’ll be back tonight.” He turned the corner and bumped into Ashley who hadn’t heard him coming in time to move.

“You know ease dropping isn’t very nice.” He smirked at her.

“Whatever, jerk.” She pushed him out of the way and walked into the kitchen.


When Ashley heard the door shut she finally spoke.

“Why was he trying to convince you to not let me do this? Does he not get that this is what I really want?” Denise could see the hurt in her eyes and she wished there was something she could do to make it better.

“He just worries Ashley. He knows how competitive and cruel it can be out there and he doesn’t want you getting hurt.”

“No, he just doesn’t want me to be around and he figures if I’m in the same state he’ll have no choice but to see me.” She sighed.

“Ashley that’s not true. He’s your brother and he loves you.” Denise put a hand on her shoulder.

“That’s funny cuz’ I don’t see it from where I’m standing. He doesn’t even talk to me anymore.”

“Look I know you two had a little fight and Alex told me he said some things he didn’t mean but that you wouldn’t let him apologize.”

“He never tried to apologize, he just told me to stay out of his life.” She finally said.

Denise had been bugging her about the cause of the fight for a while now but she would never tell her, but she was beginning to get fed up with the constant nagging.

“He told me that you were the one who told him to stay out of your life.” Denise raised an eye brow in question.

‘That little liar.’ She thought to herself as she felt her cheeks flushing with anger. All this time she had been keeping the argument between the two of them to save his ass and he was going behind her and changing it all up to Denise. No wonder she was always on her case to make up with him.

“I did…but it’s only because he’s ruining his life and I can’t stand to watch him do it.” She blurted out immediately regretting it. She looked down at her hands as Denise narrowed her eyes in concern.

“What do you mean he’s ruining his life?” Ashley looked up at her immediately regretting that too. She had made eye contact. There was no way she could lie now.

“He just has some problems…or I guess habits that he needs to work on.” She broke her eye contact not wanting to say anymore. “Its really something you should talk to him about. I don’t want it coming from me.” She knew Denise would confront him and she knew she was in even deeper shit with him then she was before.

“Ashley, if you know something I need you to tell me.” Denise took her hand. “I have my own suspicions but if you could confirm them I can help him. He won’t be mad at you Ashley.”

“Yes he will. As much as I want to tell you I just can’t…it can’t come from me.”


She took a deep breath and got up from the table deciding to skip lunch. She didn't have much of an appetite anymore. Her stress free weekend had suddenly become a lot more complicated then she intended and she knew things would only get worse from there.