- Text Size +
Ashley and Denise had safely made their way back to Orlando. Ashley only had a few more days until she would find out if she had been accepted into the performing arts school and the anticipation was driving her crazy. She still hadn’t mentioned it to any of her friends and keeping it from them was making her feel worse.

She hadn’t talked to Denise about the little conversation that she and AJ had the night he was confronted. Denise

truly believed that he was ok and that he would be able to work out his problems on his own. Ashley knew different but she also knew she couldn’t change Denise’s mind so she did what she knew how to do best, block it out and keep her emotions to herself. She didn’t want to burden anyone else with her problems.

Brian had informed Ashley that they were taking some precautions on this leg of the tour when it came to AJ. Management had hired an on site counselor to travel with them and they would also undergo random drug testing prior to some shows. This relieved Ashley in one sense but it also made her nervous. AJ had been good about not getting caught so far but what would happen if all these things really did catch up to him? Drugs are illegal he could go to jail, get kicked out of the group, millions of thoughts ran threw her head on a daily basis and it was really starting to wear her down. It was now that she was wishing she hadn’t convinced Denise to stop her sessions with Dr. Kelley.

She shook off all of her discomforts as she got out of bed to get ready for school. She had too much to worry about as the end of the school year approached and she needed to clear her head and focus on what was important, herself. She only had three weeks left of school and those upcoming weeks were jam packed with the Spring Showcase rehearsals, last minute projects and finals. She was so worked up in everything she had to get done she almost forgot that her birthday was coming up next week. She hadn’t even begun planning anything for it. It was just another thing to add to her list.


The day went by fairly quick. She was glad to learn that her showcase rehearsal had been canceled for the rest of the week because the younger grades needed more time to work on their songs. The bus dropped her off and she said goodbye to her friends and made her way back up to the house.

She found Denise in the kitchen talking on the phone. She peeked her head in and waved. Denise motioned for her to come into the room and sit down. Ashley grabbed some juice from the refrigerator and took a seat on the counter as she waited for Denise.

“Great Bill, I’m glad to hear everything has managed to work it self out. Tell dad I said hi.” She said to her brother. “Ok great I’ll see you then. Love you too.”

“You’re home early.” She said as she hung up the phone and turned towards Ashley.

“No rehearsals this week. Apparently the sixth graders aren’t where they should be so they need more time. Which means I actually have some time to relax.” She smiled taking a sip of her juice.

“Good. That means you have time to decide what we’re doing for your birthday. I swear you’re the only child I know who was too busy to remember she was turning fourteen next week.” Denise chuckled.

“I guess I just have a lot on my mind with school ending and the audition and all.” She shrugged and grabbed an apple from the bowl next to her.

“Well have you thought any about what you want to do?”

“I have no clue. I don’t want anything boring or cheesy, maybe just a pool party next weekend?”

“Pool parties are always good. Tony or your uncle could barbeque and we have the sound system outside. Do you want a theme or anything?” Denise suggested.

“I did see this really cool thing on the computer that you put in your water and it turns it pink!” she grinned.

“You would want pink water.” Denise shook her head laughing. “That’s not really a theme though.”

“I just want everything pink.” She shrugged “Like all the floats and towels and chair covers and stuff…all pink.”

“What kind of cake do you want?” Denise said writing down what she had been saying.

“Umm I don’t know.” She thought for a moment her eyes lighting up when she arrived at an idea. “A diamond.”

“A diamond?” Denise couldn’t help but laugh again. Where she came up with these things she would never know.

“Yea like a diamond ring. The top would be the shape of a diamond and they could put like sparkly stuff on it to make it look shiny and the ring part could have gold frosting…not like real gold but the color. It would look so cool!” she rambled on enthusiastically.

Denise was glad to finally see her excited about some thing, it had been a while since she had seen that sparkle in her eyes.

“Well then a diamond ring cake it is.” Denise smiled adding it to the list. “Do you have much homework?”

“Nope. I just have a few math problems left. I finished most of it during my study period.” She replied hopping off the counter.

“Well then what do you say we make our way over to the party store and the bakery in town and see if we can get this fabulous cake of yours started.”

“Awesome!” Ashley clapped her hands together in excitement as they made their way.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The weekend crept up on Ashley faster then she thought it would. Today the audition results were being posted and Ashley couldn’t even bring herself to turn on her computer she was so nervous. She avoided the topic threw breakfast and was now sitting in her computer chair staring at the blank screen. Denise knocked on the door and peeked her head in.

“Still haven’t looked?” she asked making her way in and taking a seat on the bed.

“What if I don’t get in?” she asked still not taking her eyes off the empty screen.

“Then you do a year of high school here, work really hard and try out again next year.” Denise said. “It won’t be the end of the world if you don’t make it but you can’t keep stressing your self out when the answer is right in front of you.”

“You’re right.” She said as she reached down and pushed the power button on the tower of her computer. As it began to boot up Ashley’s nerves rose even more. The butterflies in her stomach were so intense she was beginning to feel nauseous.

Her screen lit up and she clicked into her web browser then froze up again.

“I can’t do it. You do it.” She got up from the desk.

“Yes you can.” Denise made her way over to the desk and took a seat at the chair pulling Ashley to sit on her lap. “Like I said you won’t know unless you look. Your stress could be over in a few seconds.”

“What if they’re not up yet?”

“Then we do this again in a few hours, but you have to look.”

Ashley typed in the web address and waited for it to load. She scrolled down the home page until she saw the new bulletin. She slowly read it.

‘Saturday: May 26, 2001;

The final auditions for the 2001 Fall Semester took
place last weekend and the results are in. Please note
that if you were accepted you will be receiving an
admissions packet in the mail sometime next week.
Please fill it out and return in to the school as soon
as possible. For those who did not make it, it was a
pleasure having you show interest in the academy.
Please do not feel discouraged as we only have so many
spots available per year. We urge all of you to come
back and try again next year.’

Fall Admittance Acceptees

She looked back at Denise who urged her to click on the link. She took a deep breath and clicked on it. The list came up before her and she bit her lip in anticipation, hoping to see her name on the list. She scrolled threw the names which were listed alphabetically until she came to the last L. She paused again as Denise placed a supportive hand on her shoulder. She began scrolling again reading threw the names one by one.

“Maguire…Macina…Macintyre…McAurther…” she knew she was getting closer. “McKay…McLean…Merson.” she had almost passed it. Doing a double take she read it one one more time.

“McLean…Ashley McLean!” she jumped up from the chair. “I did it! Oh my god I actually got in!”

She could feel the tears of joy rushing to her eyes as Denise jumped up to hug her.

“I told you that you could do it.” She pulled her in tight.

“Wow.” Ashley was in a total state of shock and bliss. “I can’t believe I actually got in.”

“I’m so proud of you.” Denise smiled at her squeezing her hands in excitement. “So I guess this means we’re moving to California?”

“California here we come.” Ashley took a deep breath letting it out slowly.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A few hours later Ashley had finally come down from the high she was on. Now that she knew she had been accepted there was one big thing she had to do that she had been avoiding…telling Matt and her friends that she was leaving.

She called them up and asked them to come over for dinner. The pizza had just arrived as the buzzer rang from the gate. She buzzed them all in and waited at the front door as they walked up to the house. Everyone was there Matt, Marissa, Kelly, Kim, Sean, David, Jesse and Jason. She greeted them and led them back out to the pool area where she had set up the food.

“So what’s this big news that you have for us?” Marissa said taking a seat.

“Let’s eat first.” Ashley smiled nervously. She knew they would be happy for her for getting accepted but she wasn’t sure how they’d react when they found out she was moving across the country…especially Matt. They had been through a lot together in the last few months and she knew this would be hard on him.

“Can’t we eat and talk?” Jason laughed being his typical self.

“I’d just rather eat first…I mean we can talk but I’ll hold off on telling you the big news until we’re done.”

“Well then lets eat fast.” Matt smiled being the first to take a slice of pizza.

They all ate with minimal conversation as Ashley racked her brain for the right way to tell everyone. When there was no food left they all put away their dishes and returned outside taking a seat. They looked over at Ashley in anticipation.

“Ok well you know how I went to California last weekend?” she started. “I kind of wasn’t completely honest about why I went there.”

“Were you at another awards show?” Marissa asked teasing.

“No, I went there for an audition.”

“Really? Awesome for what?” Kelly chimed in being her usually perky self.

“A high school.” She started but was cut off by David.

“You had to audition for a high school? Don’t you usually just get placed in those things?” Ashley rolled her eyes at his stupidity and continued.

“It’s a performing arts high school. Like they focus on musical theater and stuff.” She explained.

“That’s so cool! Why didn’t you tell any of us?” Kim asked.

“Well I didn’t want to say anything until I knew whether or not I was accepted.” She smiled a little.

“So I’m guessing you telling us means you got accepted?” Matt said narrowing his eyes.

“Yea.” She bit her lip nervously. “I just found out today. If I didn’t get in I didn’t wanna look stupid so I figured I’d just wait.”

“Oh my gosh that’s so awesome!” Marissa hugged her. “You’re going right?”

“Yea.” She smiled a little seeing how happy everyone was for her.

“That is so cool I wish I could do something like that!” Kim smiled. “You’re so lucky.”

“I’m so glad you guys are happy. I thought you’d be mad at me for not telling you.” She confessed.

“Why would we be mad?” Jason asked. “It’s not like we don’t know that you love this kinda thing. It would be stupid to be mad.”

“Wow for once you say something nice?” she laughed hugging him. “Thanks.”

“So when would you leave?” Jesse asked.

“Not sure yet. Me and mom need to find a place out there to live and all that stuff first. It wouldn’t be until like July or August probably. They start school a little later out there.” She informed them.

“Wow this is so awesome! I can’t believe you’re gonna be moving soon though! We’re all gonna miss you.” Marissa half smiled.

Everyone was talking amongst them selves when Ashley noticed that Matt was being really quiet. She took him by the hand and led him over to the other side of the pool taking a seat on one of the lounge chairs. She pulled him to sit down next to her. After resisting for a moment he finally sat down.

“What’s wrong?” she looked at him concerned. He just looked away not answering her. “Are you mad at me?”

He again didn’t respond. She sighed taking his hand in hers and pulling him to face her.

“You can’t be mad at me for doing this.” She said not believing that he would hold this against her.

“Am I supposed to be happy?” he finally spoke. She could see the sadness in his eyes and she felt bad but at the same time angry that he wouldn’t be happy for her.

“Matt you know how much I love performing. This is a really great opportunity for me and I’m good at it. Why can’t you just be happy for me?”

“Happy about what? That you’re moving to the other side of the country and that I’ll probably never see you again?” he tried not to yell but he couldn’t help it. By now he had caught the attention of everyone else. They tried to pretend like they weren’t listening but Ashley knew they were. “How can you expect me to be happy about something like that?”

“I know it’s far but it’s not like I’m never coming back here. My family is still here and all you guys. I’d come to visit. It's not like I’m moving to the fricken moon or something!” she yelled back. “This is something that I really want and it’s really important to me. I thought you would understand.”

“I thought I was important to you. I thought you loved me. We’ve been through so much and now you’re just gonna leave me for some stupid school?" She could tell he was fighting back tears.

“Matt you are important to me and I do love you but this is something that I have to do for me.” She tried to make him understand. “I’ve been through a lot and I need something positive in my life for a change.”

“I’m not good enough for that?”

“Matt you’re great but were only thirteen. I really do love you and I mean that but this is something that I need to do.” She stressed once more.

“Well then go off to your stupid little school, but me and you are done. If you don’t need me then I don’t need you.” He said coldly as he turned and left.

Ashley sat there in shock. Had he really just broken up with her? Marissa looked on as Matt stormed out of the house. She ran over to Ashley wrapping her arms around her.

“I’m sorry. He’ll come around, I know he will. This is just a shock to him.”

Ashley just sat silent. She was so upset she couldn’t even bring herself to tears. She knew that she really wanted to go to the school but was it really worth loosing her friendship with Matt? She hadn’t expected them to stay together forever but she really valued his opinion and wanted him to be happy for her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next week was a blur to Ashley. Matt ignored her all day from the time she got on the bus and throughout practice. He had even tried to get Mr. Dunham to drop their duet from the showcase but Mr. Dunham said that the program was already set and couldn’t be changed and whatever problems they were having would have to be put aside for the show.

Saturday had arrived and Denise was running around trying to get all the last minute things done for Ashley’s birthday party that evening. At this point Ashley was so upset about Matt she was ready to call the whole thing off but Denise told her she would have to suck things up and do her best to have a good time.

Denise looked at the clock and noticed it was already 11. As much as she wanted to let Ashley sleep in she knew she had to wake her up.

Denise smiled peaking her head into her room and saw her still sleeping under the covers. She made her way in to the room and sat on the edge of the bed shaking her gently.

“Happy Birthday sweat heart.” She smiled as Ashley opened her eyes.

“Thanks.” She said groggily.

“Sleep well?” Denise asked.

Ashley nodded and sat up rubbing the sleep from her eyes and stretching.

“Birthday cup cake?” Denise smiled handing her the treat.

“Yum.” Ashley grinned taking it. “I love sugar in the morning.”

“Well finish that and get dressed. I need some help with the decorations and Tony already left to pick up Angel from the airport so they’ll be back soon.” Denise got up from the bed. “I have some cards downstairs for you that came in this week. I figured I’d give them to you all at once.”

“Ok. I’ll be down soon.” Ashley smiled and took a bite of her cupcake. She went to her closet and pulled out the bag with her new bathing suit that she had bought for the party. She put it on and threw a wrap on over it. Grabbing her cupcake she made her way downstairs taking another bite as she walked out by the pool.

“Wow it looks so cool out here!” Ashley smiled seeing how Denise had already transformed the pool area.

There was pink everywhere just as Ashley had requested. The lounge chairs were covered in a sparkly pink fabric that shimmered in the sun and there was pink pool floats and beach balls floating in the pool. As requested the pool water and the hot tub had been turned pink. There were big diamond ring shaped balloons surrounding the outside area of the pool and plenty of pink balloons to go along with it. There was a huge Happy Birthday sign hung against the back wall and the cake was set up under it. It had come out perfect and Ashley was beginning to regain the excitement she previously had for her party. She wasn’t going to let anyone ruin her birthday.

“Do you like it?” Denise asked as Ashley looked on in awe.

“It’s perfect!” she exclaimed hugging her. “Thank you so much!”

“I’m glad you like it and I’m glad to see you smiling.”

“I decided to take your advice and make the best of things. I know Matt will come around eventually.” She shrugged looking around once more.

“Well here are your cards. I have a present for you but I figured I’d wait until tomorrow to give it to you when we have the family dinner.” Denise handed her the cards. “Unless you want it now.”

“I can wait.” She smiled and took the cards back into the house sitting in the kitchen to look threw them. Most were from family who lived out of state. All had the same ‘Wish I could be there’ concept along with 10 to 20 dollars. Ashley was glad to be restocking her bank account a little. The last card she got to was from Brian. She smiled happy that he remembered her birthday. She knew she couldn’t count on a call from AJ so it was nice to know that someone cared. She opened the card and read it over.

‘Hey short stuff,

I know I missed your birthday last year so I wanted to send this early to make sure I didn’t forget. I heard you got into your school, congrats. I knew you could do it. I didn’t really know what to get you so Leighanne suggested a gift card would be best. Make sure to get some new school clothes. Have a great birthday and we better see you and mom out on the road for a few days. Miss you guys, give mom a hug from me and Leighanne wishes you a happy birthday too.

Love, Brian’

Ashley closed the card and smiled. She would have to call them later to thank them. She brought her cards and money up to her room and made her way back downstairs just in time to hear the bell ring. She opened it and was greeted by Angel’s smiling face on the other side along with Tony.

“Happy Birthday!” Angel yelled jumping on her almost knocking her to the floor.

“Thanks but I’d like to make it to the end of the day.” She laughed hugging Angel back.

“Oh my god! That bathing suit is so cute!” she exclaimed walking into the house Tony following.

“Happy birthday sweet heart.” Tony hugged her.

“Thanks.” She smiled shutting the door. “You guys have to see how mom decorated the pool it looks amazing!” she led them outside.

“I love it!” Angel squealed. “Holy crap that cake is awesome!” Ashley laughed at her friends’ excitement.

“It looks wonderful.” Tony added in greeting Denise. “You did a great job.”

“When is everyone getting here?” Angel asked walking around to see everything. “Wow you weren’t lying about the pink water!”

“Relax.” Ashley laughed at her constant questions and jumping from one topic to the next. “The party starts at three.”

“Ok cool…come look at my suit. It’s so cute.” Angel pulled her inside and upstairs.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The doorbell rang as the first guests began to arrive. Ashley and Angel raced down the stairs to open the door.

“We got it!” she yelled opening the front door.

“Happy Birthday!” Marissa and Jason yelled from the other side.

“Hey guys! Thanks!” she smiled hugging them and letting them in. She waited by the door as she saw more people coming up the driveway.

Tony took over door duty as Ashley led everyone to the pool area. Everyone slowly began to arrive over the next half hour. Ashley couldn’t help to notice the only one who hadn’t shown up yet was Matt. She kept glancing at the door hoping he would change his mind. She was having a great time but it would be better if he was there. Tony had fired up the grill and everyone had taken a break from playing in the pool to have some food. Marissa came over and took a seat next to Ashley.

“I tried talking to him today.” She said.

“He hates me doesn’t he?” Ashley frowned.

“No, I think he’s kind of over it but he feels bad about how he reacted and he doesn’t think you’ll forgive him.”

“I’m not mad at him I just want him to understand that I have to do this.” She took a bite of her cheeseburger then continued. “I figured he’d be upset about it but I didn’t think he’d break up with me.”

“Yea he regrets that too.” Marissa sighed. “I tried to convince him to come today and talk to you but he said he didn’t want to ruin your birthday. I told him he wouldn’t he just said he would think about it. So there’s still a chance.” She reassured her.

“Thanks for talking to him. Just tell him that I don’t hate him and I wanna talk to him.”

“I will, but make sure you have fun today. It is you birthday after all.” She hugged her and got up to get some chips.

The rest of the party went off flawlessly. After eating they went back in the pool for a little longer then had cake and opened presents before people started heading for home.

“Bye guys.” Ashley said as Marissa, Kelly and Jason left. She closed the door and yawned as Angel walked back inside. “Well that’s everyone.”

“I would say it was a very successful party.” Angel smiled “I didn’t want to give you your present in front of everyone else. It’s upstairs whenever you wanna open it.”

“I’ll open it tomorrow at dinner with my family.” She smiled.

“I’m gonna go shower and change.” Angel said heading for the stairs.

“Me too. I hate chlorine smell.” She laughed. She was about to walk up the stairs when the door bell rang. “I’ll get it.” She called out.

She made her way back to the door expecting to see one of her friends from the party who forgot something.

“Hey did you…oh hi.” She mumbled shocked to see who it was.

“Ashley who was at the door…” Denise stopped when she saw who it was. “I’ll just be out by the pool cleaning up.” She turned and went back outside.

“Can I come in?” he asked nervously fidgeting with his hands.

“I guess.” She opened the door a little further letting him in.

“Happy birthday." He smiled a little trying to lighten the atmosphere.

“Thanks.” She mumbled. “Did you need something?”

“I was wondering if we could talk. I talked to my sister today and she made me realize how much of a jerk I was being.” He began.

“Yea?” she looked at him to continue.

“And I wanted to apologize…can we sit somewhere?”

Ashley rolled her eyes and walked into the kitchen Matt following her.

“So apologize.” She said taking a seat at the table.

“Didn’t I just do that?” he asked. She looked at him as if he had six heads.

“Matt just saying I want to apologize doesn’t mean anything…maybe try what you want to apologize for?” she shook her head. Did he really think it was that easy?

“I shouldn’t have blown up at you the other night. I know how much performing means to you and that this is a great chance for you. I was just really upset that you waited so long to tell me.” He said.

“And?”

“…and I’m sorry that I didn’t listen to your side. I should have been happy for you but I was only thinking about myself.”

“Anything else?” she said showing no emotion.

“Is there more?” he looked at her confused.

“How’s about the fact that you broke up with me? Or that you ignored me for a week or that you tried to get out of doing the showcase with me?”

“Oh…that.” He sighed. “Look I know I messed up big time and I know that you really shouldn’t forgive me because I wouldn’t forgive me for being such a jerk but I just hope that you can look past this and give me another chance.”

“Give me one good reason why I should.” She crossed her arms.

“Because were good together and because I love you.” He said sincerely.

She smiled a little knowing she couldn’t stay mad at him forever.

“And because I got you a birthday present that I know you’ll love.” He smirked knowing just the hint of a smile on her face was a good sign.

“I’ll be the judge of that.” She said holding out her hand for the present.

He reached in the side pocket of his cargo pants and pulled out a rectangular box with a pink bow on it.

“Happy Birthday.” He smiled handing it to her.

She quickly unwrapped the box and opened it up revealing a silver charm bracelet. Her eyes lit up as she noticed each of the charms was a different music note. She smiled as he took it out of the box and put it on her wrist.

“So what’s the verdict?” he asked.

“I love it. It’s perfect.” She jumped up to hug him.

“So do I get my second chance?” he asked hopefully.

She didn’t answer she just wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him in for a kiss.