- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
hey guys im so sorry it took me so long to update. I threw my back out on Monday night and I've been in massive pain all week. Hopefully I'll feel better soon and can get more chapters up this weekend. But leave me feedback and let me know what you think of this one. It's a segway chapter to lead into the big drama so it was harder to write at first but I like the way it turned out.
The summer had begun and so had the start of the U.S. leg of the Black and Blue Tour. Ashley and Denise attended the first two shows in Orlando and Tampa but Ashley made Denise promise they wouldn’t travel on the road with the boys. She only had a limited time left in Florida and she wanted to make the most of it. Ashley enjoyed the show but she could see the difference in AJ’s performance. He was becoming winded more easily and his voice wasn’t as strong. This wasn’t typical for him on the first few nights; he usually didn’t show signs of fatigue until the last few shows. Ashley wished she could convince him to take better care of himself but he wouldn’t even stop to talk to her, she barely managed to get a hello from him.


Denise had been searching for places for them to live in California for the past few weeks and lined up a trip to visit a few of the more promising places in the upcoming month. Ashley was excited to help pick out a place. She couldn’t wait to get a fresh start in a new state.

As much as she couldn’t wait to move Ashley couldn’t believe how fast the summer was passing by. It was already mid June and she and Denise were planning to move towards the middle of August. She was sad to find out that Marissa and Matt would be spending a few weeks at their dad’s house in Miami. Even though her other friends were still home she missed Matt and her mood had been down since the day he left.

Denise knocked on Ashley’s door peeking her head in. Ashley was still under the covers sleeping silently. Walking into the room Denise pulled back the curtains on her window and twisting open the blinds.

Ashley groaned as the light hit her eyes. She pulled the pillow over her head trying to stay asleep.

“Ashley it's noon already. I’m not going to let you sleep the summer away. It’s time to get up.” Denise said pulling the covers down.

“Leave me alone.” Ashley grumbled pulling the blanks back over her head.

“Stop being a grouch and get up.” Denise pulled away the pillow.

“I don’t want to.” She turned over and grabbed the pillow next to her.

“Ashley you have been moping around this house for the past two weeks. You are getting out of bed right now.” Denise said firmly.

“What is your deal?” Ashley groaned not watching her tone. “Can’t you just leave me alone?”

“You better check that attitude before I give you a reason to stay home.” Denise said firmly.

Ashley rolled her eyes and sat up looking at Denise with a dry expression. “Sorry.” She mumbled and got out of bed walking straight past Denise and out the door.

Denise sighed and followed her downstairs. She hated seeing her like this but her attitude had been growing worse in the past few weeks and she was getting tired of it.

“Have you begun any of your summer reading list yet?” Denise asked as Ashley took a seat at the kitchen table with a bowl of cereal.

“No. It’s only June…school starts in September.” Ashley signed taking a spoonful.

“I don’t want you slacking off this summer. You should really get started with that,” Denise began rinsing dishes and placing them in the dishwasher.

“Mom, the books are so easy. I could read them in like a day. I’ll do it later.” She sighed. If this was how her whole summer was going to be she needed to find a reason to get out of the house now.

“Well if you’re just going to be sitting around here all day you might as well be productive.” Denise shook her head.

Ashley rolled her eyes and continued to eat her cereal.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

AJ groaned as the constant banging on his door continued, finally waking him up out of his medicated slumber. He pulled the pillow over his head wishing it would stop. His wish wasn’t granted as the persistent banging grew louder.

“What the fuck do you want?” he groaned finally opening the door to an angry Kevin.

“You were supposed to be down stairs ready to leave five minutes ago.” Kevin’s jaw was clenched tightly. “We have an interview in half an hour and you look like shit.”

AJ glared at him and began to shut the door but Kevin stopped it with his foot.
“Downstairs in ten minutes or else.” He said before slamming the door.

“Yes father dearest.” AJ said sarcastically. He made his way into the bathroom and turned on the shower. He got in and quickly rinsed off. As he stepped out he wrapped a towel around his waist and made his way back into the bedroom. He rummaged threw his suitcase and pulled out some clothes. He got dressed quickly and checked his watch. Pulling on his sunglasses and a hat he grabbed his wallet off the nightstand and made his way down to the lobby.

He stepped off the elevator and found Kevin and Marcus, his bodyguard waiting for him.

“The other guys went ahead. I told them we’d meet them there.” Kevin stared at him emotionless, studying his face and movement.

“Whatever man let’s just get the hell out of here.” AJ stuck his hands in his pockets and put his head down making his was towards the front entrance of the hotel.

As they approached he could hear the screams from the girls outside growing louder. He sighed and plastered on a fake smile as he made his way outside behind Marcus. He signed a few quick autographs before jumping into the van followed by Kevin. The door was shut and they were on their way. AJ stared out the window as they drove threw the streets of downtown Indianapolis to do a radio interview with a local station. Kevin turned and stared at him before speaking.

“You really need to get your shit together and stop fucking around.” Kevin said sternly. AJ just ignored him wishing he would give up and leave him alone.

“Look you can do whatever the hell you want with your life but when it starts effecting other people and the group someone needs to step in and do something. You have a problem face it.”

“Fuck off Kev.” He rolled his eyes and rubbed his temples trying to stop his ever-growing headache. “I don’t have a god damn problem. How many times do we need to have this conversation before you get it threw your head. Everything I do is controlled. I can stop whenever I want.”

“Isn’t that just the typical response.” Kevin could feel his temper growing. “If you don’t care about your life fine but you’re not screwing everything else up because you won’t look at what’s staring right back at you.”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ashley put down her book and picked up her phone as it rang. Looking at the caller ID she smiled seeing Matt’s name on the screen.

“Hey babe.” She said flipping open the phone.

“Hey Ash.” She could hear the crashing water in the background and knew he was at the beach.

“Having fun in Miami?” she wished she could be laying out on the beach too.

“Yea. I really missed spending time with my dad. We’re having a lot of fun.”

“Good. I’m glad.” She smiled. “When are you guys coming back?”

“Umm, that’s kind of why I’m calling.” He said slowly. “See my dad got some vacation time at the beginning of July and he surprised me and Marissa with tickets to Hawaii.”

“But you guys were supposed to come home in the beginning of July!” she pouted.

“I know.” He sighed. “But my dad’s really excited about this and so are we and my mom’s actually coming too. We haven’t done anything as a family in a really long time.”

“When are you coming back here?” she asked hoping it wouldn’t be too late.

“We’ll be in Hawaii for like two weeks. So I’ll be back in Orlando in like a month.”

“A month!” she could feel the tears welling up in her eyes but forced them back. “That’s such a long time. I already miss you so much.”

“I know, I miss you too but it’s not like I can just say no. I really wanna go.”

“Well have fun.” She grumbled.

“Don’t be mad at me.” He pleaded with her.

“I’m not mad.” She said the anger apparent in her voice.

“Look I have to go. We need to meet my dad at work for lunch I’ll call you tomorrow ok?”

“Yea, whatever.” She rolled her eyes.

“I love you. Please don’t be mad at me.” He pleased again.

“Go have lunch. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” She said and hung up.

Frustrated she grabbed a pillow and screamed into it. It wasn’t that she was mad at him for going on vacation with his family she was just upset that she would have no time with him once he did get home. She picked up her phone and dialed Jason’s number. He picked up after a few rings.

“What’s up loser?” Jason teased.

“Did Matt tell you he’s not coming back ‘til next month now?” she sighed.

“Yea lucky him. My parents are off in Fiji and I’m stuck here all summer.” He rolled his eyes.

“Yea well join the going no where club.” She said. “So you have the house to yourself and no parties yet?”

“Oh I’ve had parties I just didn’t think you could come with your mom home and all.”

“Hello! I can get around that.” She laughed.

“Well there’s some people over here now if you wanna come hang out. My sisters here tonight so we took the party to the day.”

“Awesome. Anything to get me out of this house.” She laughed. “My mom’s driving me crazy.”

“Ok. Well it’s pool time so come prepared.”

“See you in a few.” She said hanging up. She changed into her bathing suit and pulled on shorts and a t-shirt over it making her way downstairs.

“Mom?” she peeked her head into the office finding Denise sitting at the computer looking threw real estate listings. “I’m gonna go to my friends house for a little ok?”

“Whose house?” she asked looking away from the computer and over towards Ashley.

“Jason’s. Some of my friends are there just hanging out by the pool.”

“Are his parent’s home?” she asked.

“His sister is.” She lied. “She’s like twenty-five or something like that.”

“And his parents don’t mind him having people over?”

“Nope. As long as he keeps the house clean they don’t mind.” She smiled.

“What time will you be home?”

“Umm I dunno. We usually order pizza so after dinner I guess.”

“Be home no later then nine thirty.” Denise said and turned back towards the computer.

“Thanks.” She smiled and made her way. She jumped on her bike and made it over there in no time.




Ashley screamed as David pushed her into the pool, her drink spilling everywhere.

“Your such an ass!” she splashed him as she came up from the water. “Go get me another drink now.”

“What happened to ‘I’m never gonna drink again!’ “ he mocked her from the last time she had got drunk at the party.

“Shut up! This is the first time I’ve drank since then and I’m no where near as drunk this time as I was then.” She crossed her arms and handed him her cup. “Now be a good boy and refill this.”

He looked at her as if she were crazy.

“Pleeeaassseeee.” She grinned. He shook his head and made his way to the table with her cup.

The doorbell rang and everyone looked around at Jason. He shrugged not knowing who it could be but got out of the pool to answer it any way. No less then a minute later he reappeared in the back yard, his face pale as a ghost.

“What’s wrong man? Who was it?” David said, Ashley’s new drink still in hand.

David swallowed hard dropping the cup to the floor as two police officers appeared behind Jason. Everyone froze in their positions not knowing what to do. The officers surveyed the area, quickly noticing the table with a few liquor bottles and beer scattered on it. The officer closest to David bent down and picked up the cup he had just dropped smelling the leftover contents. He looked back over at his partner and then out to the pool where all the kids were staring at them nervous of what would happen.

“Everyone out of the pool now.” The officer commanded. “Line up along this wall please, facing us.”

The kids did as they were told. Once they were in order the officer began again.

“Who here has been drinking today?” He asked, but no one budged.

“There are plenty of empty bottle of beer lying around. Believe me this is not the time to lie to me. I’ll ask one more time. Who here has been drinking today?”

Everyone but the two other girls present raised their hands.

“Now how many of you are of legal age to be drinking alcohol?” he asked knowing the obvious answer. No one raised their hands. “Exactly what I thought.”

“Now there are two things we can do. You can answer our questions and be cooperative and we will simply give you a warning and bring you home, or you can choose not to cooperate and we will bring you back to headquarters where your parents can come pick you up.”

The cops gave each of them a Breathalyzer test to make sure no one had lied about not drinking. The two girls who claimed to not be drinking were sent home and it was time to deal with everyone else. Ashley was nervous because she was the only girl there now. They were asked a series of questions and had to write down their addresses on a piece of paper. Since there were six of them who needed to be brought home another patrol car was called in as well. Jason’s sister had to come home and she was not happy to have to leave work early. They could hear her reprimanding him as they were escorted from the house and to the cop cars.

By the time they were on their way it was already nine o’clock. David, Ashley and Tom, one of Jason’s friends, were brought home in one car. Ashley was last on the drop off list and she was scared out of her mind. She didn’t know how Denise would react to her being brought home by a police officer, but she knew it wasn’t going to be good.

They finally arrived at the house. She glanced at the clock on the dashboard noticing it was 9:35.

‘Great I’m being brought home by the cops and I’m missing curfew.’ She thought to herself as she got out of the car. The officers followed her up the walkway and rang the doorbell. Ashley nervously fidgeted with her hands as she stared at the pavement below her. She heard the door unlock and looked up relieved to see Tony answering the door.

“Did you forget your key again?” Tony chuckled. His laughter immediately stopped when he noticed the two officers standing behind her.

“Please officers come in.” he said opening the door fully. They stepped inside and he closed the door. “Denise I think you need to come here please.” He called to her.

“What is it?” she asked walking out of the kitchen drying her hands on a rag. She looked over towards Ashley, who was staring at the floor, and smiled politely at the officers.

“Good evening, Ms. McLean.” The officer started. “Sorry to bother you at this time but we are returning your daughter. She was at a party at Jason Bates house and we received a noise complaint. When we arrived we found that there was alcohol on the premises.”

Denise looked at Ashley who quickly looked away biting her lip nervously.

“Her BAC level was only .07 which is below the legal limit. However any alcohol in your system is illegal if you are under the age of twenty one, which I am sure you are aware of.”

Denise nodded her head and the officer continued.

“All the children were very compliant and gave us no trouble so we’re letting them off with a warning. However, if they are caught again there may be more serious consequences.”

“Well thank you very much for bringing her home safely. I assure you this won’t happen again.” Denise smiled as she escorted them to the door.

Ashley swallowed the lump in her throat as Denise tuned back around. She could see she was angry.

“In the living room, now.” Denise said firmly. Ashley complied and took a seat on the couch. Tony followed them in and took a seat on the chair in the corner not wanting to involve him self.

“Drinking Ashley?” Denise tried to maintain her anger, but it was hard.

“I’m sorry.” Ashley mumbled keeping her head down and trying to fight back tears.

“Your sorry? Is that all you have to say?” Denise shook her head. “How could you be so stupid? Alcohol is dangerous Ashley, especially at such a young age and in someone as small as you. Is this the first time that you drank?”

Ashley took a deep breath but couldn’t bring herself to answer. She wanted to lie and say yes but she knew Denise would know.

“When did you start drinking?” Denise asked firmly. She was more upset now then angry.

“Over break when you were in Key West. This was the first time I drank since then though.” She said quietly.

“And that makes it ok?” Denise crossed her arms staring at her sternly. “What possessed you to start drinking?”

“Everyone had done it except for me. I didn’t want them to make fun of me.” She knew it was cliché but it was the truth, “And I was mad at AJ for kicking me out of the house.”

“Don’t bring Alex into this. You made a conscious decision to drink on your own.” Denise said frustrated. “Drinking is no way to cover up your emotions Ashley.”

“It sure works for him.” She mumbled.

Denise heard what she said but chose to ignore it. This made Ashley even more upset.

“How come he can never do anything wrong?” she yelled. “He goes out and drinks all the time and it’s perfectly fine, I do it once and I’m getting yelled at for it? It's not fair!”

“He’s of legal age Ashley. I can’t tell him to stop drinking. Do you think I like the fact that he drinks so much?” she sighed. “You are only fourteen years old. I’m trying to save you from going down the same road that Alex is going down right now do you not understand that?”

“Can I just go to my room now?” she said with a stale expression.

“Yes.” Denise shook her head as Ashley got up from the couch. “You’re grounded until further notice.”

“Whatever.” Ashley grumbled and stomped up the stairs.

As soon as she was gone Denise broke down into a fit of tears. Tony came over and embraced her gently sitting her down on the couch.

“What am I doing wrong?” she asked threw her tears.

“Honey, Ashley is just lost. You’re doing the best you can with the hand you were dealt. No one asks for any of this but you’re strong enough to get threw it.” He comforted her.

“I just feel like I’m letting Angie down.” She confessed.

“Denise she is a troubled girl who has been threw a lot in the past few years. All you can do is be there for her and try to guide her in the right direction. You can’t fail as long as you’re trying. Look how much you’ve done for her. She’ll come around.” He pulled her into a tight but loving hug.

“I just wish I knew what to do. Not just about Ashley but Alex too. He’s so lost right now. I just wish he would come to me for help like he used to. We’ve grown apart so much in these past few years.”

“Honey, he’s a grown man who needs to make his own mistakes. He will come to you when the time is right, but you have to let him figure things out on his own.”

“I know, I just worry about them.” Denise wiped her eyes and took a deep breath. She knew in her heart that Tony was right, she just worried how bad things would have to get before they got better.