- Text Size +
AJ’s time in rehab had come to an end and he left feeling stronger about himself as an individual then he had in a really long time. Ashley never called him back after reading the letter she just couldn’t bring herself to trust him yet. He was upset but he knew there was still hope for them and he wouldn’t give up. He was going back out touring with the boys again soon and with the help of a counselor and the support of the guys, his family and the fans he was doing well.

Despite all the craziness that the previous month had brought Denise managed to find a place for her and Ashley to live in California. She was actually happy to be moving closer to AJ so that she could be there for him when he needed it. She decided on a three bedroom two and a half bath condo in a small gated community about a mile from Ashley’s school. It was a few blocks away from the beach and Ashley loved that.

It was now one week into August and Ashley started school in three weeks. Denise wanted Ashley to have plenty of time to settle into their new home before she started school. They were set to move at the beginning of the week and Ashley was excited but sad at the same time. She knew the time was soon coming for her and Matt to have that dreaded talk about their relationship. She knew he wanted to stay together despite the distance, but she knew in her heart it wouldn’t be fair to either of them to deal with that pressure. It was times like these that she wished she wasn’t so mature.

Ashley looked at her watch and noticed it was 2:45. She was supposed to meet her friends at 3:15 by the high school. School in Florida had begun a few days earlier and Ashley was there everyday after school to meet up with her friends and get their insight on what high school was really like. She wasn’t much looking forward to the idea of having to make new friends in California. Even though she had Angel she lived an hour away. Ashley had opened up socially a lot in the past year but she knew that high school and California were very different.

She walked downstairs to let Denise know she was leaving and found her in the living room on the phone. Denise held up a hand telling her to wait a minute.

“Hold on a second Alex.” She smiled up at Ashley. “Why don’t you say hi.” Denise said to Ashley covering the phone.

“I have to leave now or I’ll be late.” She said trying to get out of it. She always made up some excuse as to why she couldn’t talk to him.

“Mom if she doesn’t want to talk to me don’t force her.” AJ said but Denise ignored him.

“Just say hi.” Denise looked at her sternly. She knew that look, it was the do as I say or spend the rest of the day in your room look. Ashley sighed and took the phone from her.

“Hi.” She said quickly trying to hand the phone back to Denise. She gave her another look and Ashley put the phone back up to her ear.

“Hey kiddo. It’s good to hear your voice.” AJ said on the other end.

“Uh huh.” She mumbled.

“You don’t have to talk to me if you don’t want. I told her not to make you, but you can listen for a second.” He knew he had to speak quickly. “I know that you know that I meant everything I said in that letter and I know you hate me right now.”

“At least you got one thing right.” She mumbled but he ignored it.

“Look I just hope that eventually you can find it in your heart to forgive me because I really do miss having you around. I know you want to go hang out with your friends so you can put mom back on the phone. I love you kiddo.”

“Bye.” She replied handing the phone back to Denise. “I’ll be home for dinner.” She said walking out.

When she was out the door she took a deep breath to keep her emotions under control. She had learned to do that pretty well in the last few weeks. The only person who could read her like a book was Matt. She took off towards the school on her bike and made it there just as kids were starting to file out.

She waited by the South entrance until she saw her friends heading over in her direction.

“Hey guys!” she smiled at them. “Glad you’re first week is over?” she laughed at the tired looks on all their faces.

“Yes. Thank god.” Matt smiled pulling her into a hug and kissing her. “But I miss not having you around.”

She smiled at him and kissed him back.

“You guys make me sick.” Jason laughed. “Go get married already.”

“Whatever. I know your happy to have Matt back in the same school and now with me gone you can go and have your little bro-mance behind my back.” She teased.

“Matt she’s onto us. We should just break the news.” Jason joked in a seductive voice putting his hand on Matt’s shoulder.

“Dude.” Matt pushed him off. “Don’t ever do that again.”

The whole group erupted into laughter as Jason batted his eyes at Matt causing him to shiver in disgust.

“It’s ok babe I know you’re all real man.” She kissed him with a grin.

“Yea she does.” David laughed. Matt shot him a look and Ashley raised an eyebrow at him.

“You so did not tell them.” She said loud enough so just he could hear.

“Tell who what?” Sean and Jesse butted in. Matt just ignored them.

“Just D and Jay…you told my sister and Angel.” He reminded her.

“What does everyone know that we don’t?” Kelley asked.

“Just that Ashley knows how much of a real man Matt is.” David teased with a grin.

“Shut up, jerk.” Ashley glared at him so hard that if looks could kill he would be six feet under.

“Dude…no way! You two?” Jesse’s eyes grew wide. “Sweet.” he put up his hand for a high five but Matt ignored him.

“Fuck this, I’m going home.” Ashley turned away upset that her little secret had been brought out in the open.

“Ash wait.” Matt followed after her glaring at David as he pushed by him.

“You are such an ass!” Marissa smacked him.

“What! It’s not that big of a deal. If they didn’t want anyone to know they shouldn’t have told anyone.” He defended himself.

“Wait so they really did it?” Kim asked shocked.

“A few times now.” David boasted.

“David just shut up! What they do is none of our business so drop it…everyone.” Marissa commanded.

“Yea. She’s right, and you’re an idiot.” Jason shook his head laughing.

“I didn’t think she’d get so mad.” David shrugged dropping it.

“Just don’t bring it up again. She’s leaving in like two days and I don’t want her leaving upset at everyone.” Marissa said.

“I’ll apologize later.” David sighed knowing that’s what it would take to get Marissa off his case.

“Good. Now let’s get home.” She said walking away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Ash, wait up!” Matt said finally catching up with her on his bike. He grabbed her handle bar to slow her down. She stopped pedaling and put her foot down to balance turning to face him.

“Your friends are ass holes.” She pursed her lips in anger.

“They’re your friends too.”

“Not right now.” She frowned. “Everyone probably thinks I’m some skank now.”

“They would never think that and you know it.” He tried to cheer her up seeing how upset she was. “Why don’t we ride over to the park by my house and talk for a little, spend some time alone.”

She shrugged still visibly upset. He moved close to her and placed a gentle kiss on her lips.

“Come on. We need some alone time anyway. Please?” he gave her his best puppy dog face batting his eye lashes. She couldn’t help but laugh.

“Fine.” She smiled a little. “Race you there.” She laughed taking off on her bike.

“Hey! No fair!” he said taking a second to get himself situated again before he took off after her.

Ashley made it to the park first, Matt not too far behind her. She pulled her bike over to a tree by the pond and crossed her arms grinning as he pulled up after her.

“So nice of you to join me.” She teased.

“You’re such a cheater!” he accused laughing as he leaned his bike next to hers.

“Am not!” she laughed taking off again. “Race you to the field.”

“I’m gonna get you cheater!” he laughed chasing after her.

He caught up to her with little effort and grabbed her pulling her close to him. She squealed as he pulled her to the ground and climbed on top of her pinning her down.

“Haha! Now you’re mine!” he grinned evilly his hands getting closer to her waist.

“Don’t you dare!” she warned him anticipating his next more. “MATT!” she screamed as he began tickling her.

“Beg for mercy and I’ll stop.” He teased her as she breathlessly squirmed beneath him.

“Never!” she managed to get out trying to free herself of his torture. He continued to tickle her as she began to get red in the race from laughing so hard. “Ok! I surrender please spare me!” she said finally giving up.

Matt grinned and stopped tickling her. He rolled off of her and laid next to her propping his head up on his elbow as he turned to face her. She took a few moments to catch her breath before turning towards him. He smiled at her and leaned in kissing her. After a few moments he pulled away staring in her eyes.

“I’m really gonna miss you.” He finally spoke.

“Me too.” She turned onto her stomach and began picking at the grass under her trying to avoid eye contact with him. She knew she couldn’t wait until the last minute to talk to him and it was now or never.

“What’s on your mind?” Matt asked studying her face. He always knew when something was wrong with her.

“I think…” she took a deep breath trying to work up the nerve to say what she needed to say. “I think that we need to talk about what’s gonna happen with me and you when I move.” She blurted out as quickly as possible.

“I thought we talked about this?” Matt asked confused. “We said we were gonna stay together. That’s what you want right?”

“I’m not so sure any more.” She looked down at the grass trying to fight back tears.

“So you wanna break up with me?” she could hear the sadness in his voice and she felt horrible.

“Matt it’s just…we’re gonna be so far away and you already have girls throwing themselves at you…what’s gonna happen when football starts? I know how girls are they can make you do stupid things. They won’t stop when they see something they want and believe me they want you.” She finally looked at him and could see the tears he was fighting back.

“But I don’t want them…I want you.” He closed his eyes to hold back the tears. “Why can’t we just stay together? We've been together almost a year now. We can make it work. I know it will be hard but we can do it. I don't want to loose you.”

“It’s not that I don’t wanna be with you, because I do. I love you so much and you’re the only one who really understands me. I just don’t think it’s fair to either of us. Were gonna be across the country and I know as much as we’d fight it eventually temptation would win. You’re like one of my best friends and I don’t want to loose our friendship over something so stupid.” She tried to make him understand how she was feeling as her tears began to fall.

“I guess you’re right.” He smiled a little trying to make her feel better wiping the tears from her eyes. “But just know that I’d drop any girl in a heartbeat for you.” He smiled kissing her quickly.

“I love you.” She kissed him back and smiled pulling him into a hug.

“I love you too, so much…” he held her close to him not wanting to let go. “I guess we should be getting home now. It’s getting pretty late.” He said checking his watch.

“Yea, I guess so.” She sighed. Matt got up and reached his hand down pulling her up. He pulled her into one last hug before they made their way back to their bikes and then to their separate houses.