- Text Size +
It was early Saturday morning as Ashley loaded the final box onto the moving truck and jumped out. They weren’t bringing too much with them when it came to furniture but they had far too much clothes and keepsakes to bring on the plane or ship, so Denise decided to hire movers. It made things easier because she could bring her car as well instead of buying a new one in California. The movers were leaving two days early so they would arrive in California around the same time. Denise handed the driver the deposit and watched as they drove off.

“Two more days and that will be us!” Ashley said excited. She still hadn’t seen the new condo and she was excited to get to the west coast and settle in. Denise smiled as they walked back into the house. Everyone was coming over later in the evening to have a farewell/good luck get together for Ashley and Denise.

“Did you finish ordering all the things we talked about for your room? We don’t have that much time to get the place set up before school starts.” Denise said as she began to make breakfast.

“Yea. I put the papers in your office. The stuff should have been delivered sometime this week it said.” She smiled smelling the eggs and bacon. “Is my closet really small there?”

“Any closet is too small for all the clothes you own.” Denise laughed. “When we get to the house you can have your choice of rooms.”

“Wait, so I can have the big one?” her eyes grew in excitement.

“You spend more time in your room and you’ll need more room for your desk and computer so it just makes sense.” Denise smiled knowing Ashley would have hated the other two smaller rooms.

“You’re the best!” she jumped up hugging her.

Denise just smiled. Although she wouldn’t say it now there was a reason behind he willingness to please Ashley at the moment. AJ was still home from tour until it started back up at the end of August. He was the one picking them up from the airport and he would be staying with them for a few days before the rehearsals started up again and the boys left to complete the tour. Denise knew Ashley wouldn’t be happy about it, but she couldn’t stand seeing them this way. She could tell that Ashley missed AJ and she hoped that putting them in the same house for a few days might bring them back together. Little did she know it would tear them apart even more…


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Why did we fly into LAX?” Ashley asked as they waited for their luggage to arrive on the carousel. “Isn’t there an airport in Huntington Beach?”

“Yes but someone’s coming to pick us up and it was easier for us to come here.” Denise smiled. She had still not told Ashley about AJ staying with them for the next few days.

“Who?” she saw the look on Denise’s face and sighed loudly. “You could have told me…I would have got someone else to come get me.”

“Ashley this has been going on too long now. The two of you need to sit down and just have it out with each other and that’s exactly what you will be doing.” Denise spoke sternly.

Ashley didn’t respond she just turned back to the sea of bags rotating in front of her hoping this week couldn’t get any worse.

When they finally retrieved their bags they made their way to the pickup area. Denise automatically spotted AJ’s dark truck. Ashley could already see the hoards of cameras trying to snap pictures of him. No one had seen much of him since rehab so he was a hot commodity in the paprazzi’s eyes.

They saw Marcus get out of the drivers side of the truck and make his way over to them. Once he took their luggage from them he led the way threw the crowd. Ashley pulled the hood of her sweatshirt over her head and kept her head down as she walked straight to the car. This was the one thing she hated the most being anywhere around AJ. People called out her and Denise’s names, asking questions and trying to get their attention, as the flashes went off all around them. Marcus pushed the cameras away and assisted both of them as they got into the car.

“Sorry about that guys. We tried to stay as much on the down low as we could but they’ve been following like piranhas.” Marcus said as he got into the car.

Ashley leaned back into the seat crossing her arms with a scowl on her face.

“Yea mom, sorry about that.” AJ turned and smiled from the front seat as Marcus pulled away from the curb. “How was the flight?”

“Not to bad. You just know how I hate those long flights.” She smiled at him. “You’re looking really good Alex. How are you doing?”

“Today is good. But it’s one day at a time.” He smiled and turned his attention to Ashley who was staring out the window with the same pissed off expression still on her face. “What about you…can I at least get a hello?”

Ashley turned to look at him for a split second before reaching in her bag and pulling out her music player and putting on her headphones.

“Ashley, Alex was talking to you. Don’t be rude.” Denise said pulling the headphone away so she could hear.

“Oh that was someone talking? I’m sorry I thought it was just a loud obnoxious noise.” She said rudely.

Denise was about to reprimand her but AJ stopped her.

“Mom, just forget it.” He sighed and turned back around turning his attention to the outside world. He didn’t expect winning her back to be easy but she was making it damn near impossible to want to keep trying. He was near his breaking point and ready to give up but he knew he had to keep at it.

“This is going to be harder then I thought.” Denise sighed looking at the two.

Ashley smirked knowing she had won that round and put her headphones back on closing her eyes as the music played.


About an hour later they pulled up in front of their new home. Ashley had fallen asleep on the drive there and Denise shook her waking her up.

“Honey, come on were here.” Denise said as she rubbed her eyes. “Ready to see our new home?”

“Yea.” Ashley nodded smiling a little. They all got out of the car and walked up the driveway. Denise unlocked the front door and they made their way inside.

Nicole, a good friend of Denise, met them in the hallway as she heard the door open. She had been watching the condo for the past few weeks as things had begun arriving.

“Welcome home!” Nicole smiled greeting each one of them. “The moving truck hasn’t come yet but most of the new furniture has.”

“Fantastic. The truck will probably arrive later on today.” Denise walked with her into the living room. Ashley took off on her own to find her room and AJ followed close behind her.

She entered the room on the first floor where Denise had told her it would be. Her new furniture was already in there waiting to be positioned. She smiled as she looked around at everything, not noticing AJ hovering in the doorway. She looked in the vanity against the wall and jumped seeing the reflection of AJ in the mirror.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.” He laughed a little.

She rolled her eyes ignoring him and went to look at the closet.

“I’m gonna be here for a few days Ash. You can’t ignore me forever.” He said walking into the room.

She looked over her shoulder and glared at him then turned back as she continued to ignore him.

“Why can’t we just talk it out?” he said walking a little further into the room.

“Get out of my room.” She turned back and glared at him.

“She speaks!” he tried to lighten the atmosphere. “I’m not going anywhere until we talk.”

“Get out!” she yelled pushing him towards the door trying to kick him out.

He grabbed her arm and pulled her into him and began tickling her knowing she couldn’t help but laugh.

“Alex stop!” she yelled trying to get away from him.

“Will you talk to me?” he asked as he continued.

“Just get off of me!” she yelled finally managing to get away. “I don’t want to talk to you not now, not ever so just LEAVE ME ALONE!” she screamed and pushed him out of the door slamming it in his face.

“What was all the commotion?” Denise said as she walked to the back hallway by the room.

“Nothing.” AJ sighed. “I give up.” He walked away.

Denise shook her head and walked outside taking out her cell phone.

“Hi Kathy.” She said as someone picked up on the other side. “Remember what we were talking about the other day with you coming in to talk to the kids? I wanted to avoid it as long as possible but I don’t think things are getting better on their own.”

She listened as Kathy spoke briefly.

“That’s perfect. I’ll see you Wednesday at noon. Call me tomorrow for directions I’ll have to look them up. I don’t exactly know my way around here yet.” She smiled and hung up hoping her new plan would work.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was two days later and everything had arrived on the moving truck. The boxes were in their rightful places but not much unpacking had begun yet. Ashley woke up early and made her way into the kitchen. Denise had gone out the previous day and picked up groceries and household items they would need.

She quickly made a bowl of cereal and brought it back to her room. With everyone staying in the condo her room had been her only form of sanctuary, although AJ hadn’t bothered her since she yelled at him. She could tell he was hurting but this time she just couldn’t bring herself to feel sorry for him. She was doing exactly what she needed to be doing and that was focusing on herself and her new life, a life that didn’t include him or the drama that came along with him.

When she finished her cereal she changed into a bathing suit, throwing on a pair of shorts over it. She rummaged threw a box quickly finding her sunscreen and beach bag. After she double-checked for everything she would need she left a quick note letting Denise know she would be at the beach and took off walking. She was so happy to only live a few blocks away. Ashley had been dying to check out the beach since they arrived and she knew that it was the perfect place to clear her mind.

She walked along the hot sand until she found a good spot. Laying down her towel she sat atop it and put on some sunscreen while taking in the beautiful ocean view. Although it was the end of summer and early in the morning there were still plenty of people around. She smiled watching some of the younger children play along the shoreline with their friends, running away from the waves as they approached, laughing and screaming. She wished her life could be that simple again.

Deciding to push all the bad thoughts out of her mind for the time being she reached in her bag pulling out her music player. After she decided what to listen to she laid back on her towel closing her eyes and letting the warm sun touch her skin.


Ashley had been lying on the beach for about an hour now and she was beginning to feel really relaxed and at ease. She reached up and took a big sip from her water bottle just as a brown object came flying at her.

“Watch out!” someone yelled as the football landed mere inches away from her head. She screamed jumping up from her position. She grabbed the ball and looked around her ready to lay into the owner for not being more careful, until she saw him jogging towards her.

“I’m really sorry about that.” He smiled down at her. She found herself almost speechless looking back up at him. He was about 5’9 with dark brown hair and piercing green eyes. His smile could melt even the coldest heart and he had the body of a god…a very nicely tanned god.

“You know you should tell your friend over there to watch where he’s throwing this thing next time.” She smirked back at him.

“Yea, he doesn’t always have the best aim.” He laughed a little. “It didn’t hit you did it?”

“Nope just missed me…guess his aim isn’t half bad after all.” She teased.

“Come on man, throw the ball!” his friend yelled from a few yards down.

“Allow me.” She smiled and set the ball in her hand sending it flying back over to him gracefully. It was times like these she was glad she spent her free time on the Millennium tour playing football with the road crew.

“That’s some arm.” He looked at her with a raised eyebrow as she walked back to her towel.

“What can I say, I’m just good like that.” She bit her lip flirting with him with her eyes. She didn’t know where this confidence was coming from but she didn’t care because he seemed to like it.

“Yea. You are.” He smiled looking her up and down. “I haven’t seen you around here all summer, where have you been hiding out?”

“Orlando.” She laughed. “I just moved out here on Monday.”

“What brings you all the way out here?” he said as his friend ran over interrupting them.

“Come on man, what’s the holdup.” He said not noticing Ashley standing there. “Oh, hi.” He turned on the charm once he saw her and looked back at his friend. “I’ll just be over there.”

“Mind if I sit?” the boy asked as Ashley took a seat on her towel again.

“Not at all.” She smiled as he sat next to her.

“I’m Derek by the way.” He extended his hand and she shook it introducing herself as well. “So as I was saying what brings you all the way out here?”

“School actually. I just transferred to Huntington Beach High School.”

“Oh, you’re an Academy kid huh?” he asked.

“Is that a bad thing?” she raised an eyebrow.

“No, not at all.” He laughed a little at her apprehension, thinking it was cute. “I just knew cuz’ the only kids who ever transfer to HB are in the Academy. So what year are you?”

“A freshman.” She said timidly.

“Oh ok that’s cool. I’m a junior actually.” He smiled at her. ‘God what a smile.’ She thought to herself as he continued. “I wouldn’t have taken you for a freshman, you look...I dunno like more mature then most of the freshman at HB.”

“I guess I’m just not your average girl.” She smirked a little.

“Listen, my friends and I are having a party tonight…” he started but was interrupted by Ashley’s cell phone ringing.

She recognized the ring tone and sighed as she picked it up, not bothering to check the caller ID.

“What?” she tried to sound at least a little nice, not wanting Derek to think she was mean.

“Mom needs you to come home.” He said dryly. He had really been put down since she last told him off.

“Why? She didn’t say we had anything to do today.”

“Look I don’t know. She said she’s having someone over and wants you to meet her. All I know is she said you need to get home.” He said frustrated.

“Fine, whatever.” She rolled her eyes and hung up the phone. “I hate to bail but I have to get home. Something about my mom having company over.”

“It’s no big.” He reassured her. “You think you can get out of the house for a little tonight? Like I said my friends and I are having a party down by Rocky Point.”

“I’d have to ask. I guess it all depends on who’s coming over. Why don’t you give me your number and I’ll give you a call a little later.” She smiled handing him her phone.

“Don’t worry about what time. If you can get free just call me up, I have the car so I can come pick you up.” He got up and reached his hand down helping her up to her feet.

“Sounds good.” She smiled gathering her stuff. “I guess I’ll see you later then.”

“Later.” He smiled and watched her walk off.