- Text Size +
Ashley sighed with relief as the final curtain call ended. She had made it through the first show flawlessly and she couldn’t be happier. She knew that she had proved herself not only to everyone else but to herself as well.

Everyone congratulated each other on a job well done as they made their way back to the dressing rooms. She quickly gathered her belongings and put away her costumes before making her way outside to find everyone.

She smiled at the people who praised her on a job well done finally finding Tina, Angel and Jared waiting for her just outside the main entrance. Angel squealed with excitement and pulled her into a hug as she saw her.

“Girlie that was beyond amazing!” she smiled wide.

“You beyond killed it.” Jared smiled taking her things for her.

“I’m so glad you guys liked it!” she looked around. “Where’s my mom?”

“She wants us to meet her in the parking lot, it was getting a little crowded out here.” Angel grinned. Ashley raised an eyebrow as she studied her expression.

“What?”

“What’s what?” Angel laughed.

“What do you know? That’s what.” Ashley tried to read her but she couldn’t quite figure out what she was thinking.

“Nothing…except that your mom has a totally awesome surprise for you and you’ll love, love, love it.” By now Angel’s grin had spread to Tina and Jared as well.

“Well then let’s go see what this totally awesome surprise is.” She rolled her eyes laughing at them.

They made their way down to the parking lot surveying the rows looking for Denise’s car.

“I hope she’s not mad at me for coming.” AJ sitting inside the car, trying to remain unnoticed.

“Alex do you know how long she’s been wanting you to come?” Denise reassured him. “She was just waiting for you to take the initiative to do it yourself. She didn’t want to bug you, but I can guarantee you she’ll be ecstatic.”

“I hope so.” He sighed.

“Well you’ll find out now.” Tony said as he noticed them walking over. AJ shut the car door wanting to surprise her.

Ashley saw Denise and Tony standing outside the car and she quickly ran over to greet them.

“Sweetheart you were absolutely amazing. I’m so proud of you!” Denise smiled hugging her.

“Tony thanks so much for coming out!” she hugged him.

“You know I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” He smiled.

“So what’s this totally amazing surprise I keep hearing about?” she grinned.

AJ quietly snuck out of the other side of the car and came up behind her covering her eyes with his hands.

“Surprise!” AJ said. Ashley froze for a second, not really believing the voice she had just heard behind her. She quickly turned around and was greeted with a smile.

“Alex!” she screamed jumping so hard to hug him she practically knocked him down.

“Do you wanna start a riot?” he teased as he hugged her back.

She didn’t respond, she just stayed locked in the hug. She had been through such a whirlwind of emotions throughout the day that she couldn’t contain them anymore. She had been so happy to see him the second she hugged him she began crying. AJ pulled away a little and smiled at her wiping her eyes.

“You were absolutely incredible. I’m really proud of you.” He kissed her forehead. “Stop crying you’re gonna make me get all emotional.” He teased making her smile a little.

“I’m sorry. It’s just been a crazy day and I can’t believe you’re here.” She sniffled a little and wiped her eyes again pulling him back into a hug. “You don’t even understand how much you just made my day.”

“I’m glad you’re happy.” He smiled at her as she finally pulled fully away from their hug.

“Why don’t we all go out to dinner.” Denise smiled at the two glad to see Ashley happy. “You too.” She smiled at Tina and Jared.

“I’m starving!” Ashley said. “Can we go to that pizza place?”

“Where ever you’d like.” Denise said. “Will Steven be joining us?”

Ashley cringed at the mention of his name. She had tried to put off thinking about him as long as she could. She tried to act as if he hadn’t phased her but she was really hurt.

“No.” she said simply trying to avoid the topic. “Alex, ride with us in Jared’s van it’s really cool. We call it the Mystery Mobile.” She laughed. “Like the one from Scooby Doo.”

“We’ll meet you there then.” Denise said as her and Tony got in the car and the others made their way to Jared’s van.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning Ashley sat in her room flipping through the television channels trying to find something to watch while Angel was in the shower. There was a knock on her door as she turned to see AJ peeking his head in, eyes closed.

“Can I come in?” he asked.

“Yea. You can open your eyes.” Ashley laughed shaking her head.

“Just wanted to make sure everyone was decent.” He laughed as he stepped into the room. “Where’s Angel?”

“Shower.” Ashley said tossing the remote down, giving up on the TV.

AJ took a seat on the bed facing her.

“I just wanted to tell you how proud of you I am. I know I told you like a million times but you were amazing.” He smiled at her.

“Thanks.” Ashley smiled back. “I’m really happy that you showed up.”

“I’m glad that I finally got the chance to see you perform. Mom wasn’t lying when she said you’re just like I was. I still can’t believe you learned that all so fast. I wouldn’t have been able to do it.”

Ashley just shrugged.

“Can I tell you something?” he asked. She just nodded. “I was a little scared to come. I thought you would be mad at me for showing up and not telling you.”

“Why would I be mad?”

“Well because you always tell mom that you don’t want me to come to your shows. I thought you’d get mad at me for not listening to you, but I really wanted to see you.”

“It wasn’t that I didn’t want you there…” she sighed. “I guess I just figured that if I told you not to come there was no reason for me to be let down when you weren’t there.” She bit her lip and looked up at him slightly not knowing how he would react.

“I guess in some weird way that makes sense, I’m just glad Brian talked some sense into me. But no more telling me I can’t come to something. As long as I’m in town I’m coming to anything and everything I want.” He warned her.

“Deal.” She smiled at him.

“So then you don’t mind if I come to the show tonight?”

“You don’t have to sit threw it again.”

“I want to. Every show is different every night, and I really enjoyed it.”

“Well then I’d be glad to have to there again.”

“Not to be a downer, but I couldn’t help but notice you weren’t too happy last night when mom mentioned your boyfriend.” Her eyes shifted away from him at the mention of Steven. She still hadn’t told anyone what happened between them. “I was kind of hoping to formally meet him.”

“No point now.” Ashley sighed. She saw the questioning look on AJ’s face and continued. “We broke up…or more like he broke up with me.”

“What? When?” AJ could see the hurt in her eyes although she was trying to avoid looking directly at him.

“Yesterday.” She said timidly not wanting to get emotional over it.

“Are you serious?” He asked angry that he would do something like that on such an important night.

“It’s no big deal, really.” Ashley tried to play it off but she knew he didn’t believe her. He lifted her chin so that their eyes finally met. She knew she couldn’t lie to him now that he had looked at her, he knew her too well. “He was using me…this whole time.” She finally broke down into tears.

AJ pulled her to him embracing her. Ashley looked up as she heard the door open. Angel stopped in the doorway when she saw that Ashley was crying.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know you two were talking…I’ll just wait in here.” She went to close the bathroom door.

“I’m not gonna make you wait in the bathroom Ang.” Ashley laughed a little threw her tears. “Besides if I tell the both of you at the same time it saves me tears.”

“What’s going on?” Angel asked concerned making her way over to the bed.

Ashley began to retell the conversation she and Steven had the previous day.

“So basically he said that dating me was a career move and since he made the mistake of taking things to far and ruining his chances of getting connected with the boys there was no need to keep me around any more.” By the end of the story she was more angry then upset at Steven.

“What an ass!” Angel said in shock.

Ashley looked over to AJ awaiting a response but his face was stone cold.

“Can you say something? You’re scaring me.”

“I’d rather just punch him in the face.” He confessed.

“Alex, he’s not worth it or believe me I would have done it myself.”

“I just hate that he did that to you, and it makes me mad because there’s nothing I can do about it. I didn’t want you to have to go threw anything like that. I know how much it sucks to be used.” He sighed.

“I just need to test peoples motives from now on I guess.” She sighed. “I know it sucks but it comes with the territory.”

“Well I’m really sorry he turned out to be such an asshole.” AJ said hugging her.

“You live and you learn.” Ashley shrugged and stared down at her hands resting in her lap. She was torn but she knew she wouldn’t let this break her. Things were finally looking up with AJ and she wouldn’t let some stupid boy break her heart. She knew she was stronger then that.
Chapter End Notes:
yay for AJ finally showing up!