- Text Size +
It had been four days since the accident. Everything seemed to go by in a blur: the wake, the funeral and the burial.

Everyone came over to AJ’s house after the burial. Ashley didn’t feel like being around more people trying to console her any longer. She retreated upstairs as soon as she arrived home.

Ashley sat on her bed opened up her journal and began to write.

‘These past few days have been hell. I’m so glad everything is over, the wake, the funeral and burial. I don’t know if I could go threw it again. I’ve tried so hard to be strong but inside I feel like I’m dead. When I saw her casket I almost broke down. It finally hit me that my mom, the woman who had raised me, who knew all my secrets, who sacrificed so much so I could have the life she didn’t was...Dead. She looked so different lying there. I tried so hard no to cry. Everyone kept telling me it was all right to cry and that I would feel better if I did. It didn’t work. I still feel empty, like I don’t belong here. When they were burying her I just wished I could jump rite in there and be back with her again. I need to be back with her. I need her to hold me and tell me everything will be all right. But she’s not here and I won’t feel complete again till I’m with her.’


She closed the journal and took a deep breath as she headed towards her bathroom. She knew what she had to do. She locked the door knowing eventually someone would come to check on her and she couldn’t risk that.

She stood in front of the mirror and closed her eyes as she took a deep breath. Tears streamed down her face. She couldn’t go on feeling like this any longer. In her mind her life was over. She had nowhere to go, no one to turn to. She just wanted all the pain to go away. She opened her eyes and stared at her tear stained face in the mirror.

‘This is the only way’ she thought to herself as she opened the medicine cabinet. She found the bottle of aspirin and opened it pouring its contents into her hand. She stared at herself one last time before swallowing the contents of the bottle in two big gulps.

She sunk to the floor and began crying hysterically. Before she knew it the darkness was creeping in and her vision blurring. She took one last deep breath before slipping into unconsciousness...


After an hour or so everyone started to head home. Brian stayed around to help AJ clean up while Kevin drove Denise home. AJ and Brian noticed that Ashley hadn’t been downstairs once since they arrived back. Not knowing where she was they were worried about her. AJ checked the rooms downstairs while Brian headed up the stairs to check in her bedroom.

"Hey Ashley..." He knocked on her door and after he got no response he opened it a crack. He noticed that Ashley wasn’t there and saw the light coming out from under the bathroom door.

“Hey Ash…it’s just me Brian.” He called out from the other side of the door. There was no response. He knocked slightly on the door.

“Ash you ok?” still there was no response. He jiggled the handle but it was locked. He knocked once more as AJ walked in.

“She’s not downstairs.” He informed Brian.

“The lights on in her bathroom but she’s not answering me.” He began to get worried.

“Ash open up.” AJ knocked on the door a little harder.He now grew worried as well.

He ran downstairs to get the key that opened the doors while Brian pounded on the door trying to get a response.

AJ finally got the door opened and gasped seeing Ashley unconscious on the floor.

“Oh my god Brian, what do we do?” AJ frantically searched for his phone to dial 911 while Brian checked Ashley.

“Ashley, wake up.” He shook her slightly with no response. “She’s still breathing.” Brian informed him.

He looked around and noticed the empty bottle of aspirin on the floor. He grabbed it and put it in his pocket knowing AJ would freak out at the sign of it.
He carefully picked up Ashley and they both rushed to the car to drive her to the emergency room.