- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much to everyone who reviewed I really appreciate it!
When the girls arrived home later that afternoon Angel couldn’t help but notice how down and out Ashley was. This was a horrible day for her to begin with and it seemed no matter what she did to try and stay positive things kept getting worse. Angel knew that no matter how much she said things between her and AJ were over, that wasn’t what she wanted. However, she knew that Ashley meant what she said about this being the final straw. As they were sitting in the living room, watching TV, Angel observed her demeanor, trying to empathize with her and understand just how she was feeling, when Aaron snapped her out of her thought process.

“Oh hey guys, I didn’t think you’d be back so soon.” Aaron said taking a seat on the chair. “You getting into anything tonight?”

“Nope. Just gonna relax here for the night.” Angel smiled a little and motioned her head towards Ashley slightly. She was sitting on the couch, her knees pulled up to her chest, staring at the TV in her own world.

“Well I’m having some people over in the back house tonight…nothing crazy, you know it gets, but you guys should come chill.”

“We’ll see.” Angel said knowing Ashley wouldn’t be up for it.

“You can go if you want.” Ashley said once Aaron had left the room.

“What I want is to spend time with my best friend, so if you don’t want to go we don’t go.” Angel shrugged it off. “It’s just Aaron and his friends anyway, nothing spectacular.”

“I feel like I’m ruining your weekend. You had a date and everything and I’m messing it all up for you, I’m sorry. Maybe mom was right, maybe I should have just stayed home this weekend.” She sighed as she just stared down, trying to fight back tears.

“To do what? Mope around your room all day by yourself?” Angel asked. “You said yourself you need to think happy thoughts, so let’s think happy.”

“There’s nothing to be happy about Angel, you just don’t get it!” she yelled beginning to get angry at her friend, “My mom is gone and now I’m loosing my brother too.”

“Then do something about it.” Angel said frustrated. “Make him listen to you and just tell him you’re sorry.”

“Sorry doesn’t really work with him any more. He said it himself, he’s threw with me.” The tears finally began to fall.

“I don’t know what you want me to tell you then. If you don’t want to do anything to fix it, it’s never going to get better.

“No one’s asking for your help Angel.”

“Just stop acting like you’re the only one in this entire world that has problems. Yea, it completely sucks that you lost your mom and yes it sucks that AJ isn’t talking to you right now, but it will blow over.” Angel said angrily. “All you care about is how you feel and your problems, but did you ever think that I have problems of my own to deal with?”

“You’re talking like I’m some stuck up bitch, you never talk to me about problems so how the hell am I supposed to know? I’m not a psychic!”

“Uhh.” Angel groaned in frustration. “You know what? If you want to mope around here feeling sorry for yourself all weekend go ahead, I wont stop you. But I’m not about to join in on the pity party, I’m out of here.”

“Whatever, go do what you want. I don’t care.” Ashley crossed her arms and turned away from her.

“Fine.” Angel said after a moment and got up to leave the room.

Ashley turned back and watched as Angel made her way upstairs, visibly frustrated. Ashley sighed, a mixture of anger and sadness. She and Angel had never fought before and she wasn’t used to her best friend being angry with her. She didn’t understand what she had done wrong. Did Angel expect her to not be upset at all today? Why would she get mad at her for grieving? More and more Ashley was tempted to just call Denise and ask to come home.

As if on cue Ashley’s phone began to ring. Glancing at the caller ID she saw it was Denise.

“I sweat she has ESP.” Ashley took a deep breath, trying to calm down her emotions before picking up. “Hi mom.”

“Hi sweetheart!” Denise said cheerfully. “I just wanted to check in and see how you were doing and let you know that I’m staying at Alex’s this weekend.”

‘There goes going home’ she thought to herself before answering. “Everything’s great mom. We’re having a lot of fun.” She lied.

“Well if you need anything or if you need to talk just call the house ok sweetie?”
“Ok mom, I will.” She said.

“I love you sweet heart, have a good weekend.” Denise said.

“Love you too.” She replied and then hung up.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ashley sighed as she stared up at the ceiling in Angel’s room later that evening. Angel had left just a short while ago for her date that she had canceled earlier, leaving Ashley alone and even more depressed then before. She groaned in frustration as she flipped threw the channels and saw there was nothing on TV. This was not how she pictured spending her weekend. Tossing down the remote she got up from the bed and made her way to the window. She could see the back house in the distance and saw Aaron greeting his friends as they arrived. She really wasn’t up to a party, but anything beat staying alone all night just starring at the walls. Maybe once she was there she would cheer up a little. She quickly changed and made her way to the house.

“Hey!” Aaron said opening the door. “Didn’t expect to see you here. Where’s my sister?”
“Don’t know, don’t care.” She grumbled and made her way inside.
“Ohhkkay.” He said knowing not to push the topic any farther. “I’m pretty sure you know everyone here, so I guess just get a drink, chill whatever you want, were just laid back tonight.”

She poured herself a drink and took a seat off to the side of the room, not yet ready to mingle. She did know mostly everyone there but they weren’t her favorite people. Most of Aaron’s friends were jerks and treated her and Angel more like they were pieces of meat rather than people. The party, if it could even be called that, was nothing special. There was some music playing low in the background with most people sitting around drinking beers, a few more playing pool.

“Yo, the party’s here!” Aaron said as there was a knock on the door. Ashley turned her attention towards him curious as to who had arrived. “Adam! How’s it goin man?”

Ashley watched the small exchange between the two as she saw Aaron hand him some money. She could tell he was older, but she found him attractive. She continued watching him from the corner of her eye as they talked a little more and Adam handed Aaron a plastic bag before walking further into the room. He caught sight of her watching him and gave her a small smirk as he passed by.

“Who’s ready to light this shit up?” Aaron said shaking the bag in his hand. Ashley rolled her eyes, now wishing she had chosen to stay in Angel’s room, as she realized what was in the bag Aaron had just paid for. She knew he smoked occasionally, but had only been around him once before this. She knew she couldn’t just get up and walk out without looking stupid so she just decided to stay put, away from the others until they were done.

“Yo, who’s the chick?” Adam leaned over, motioning towards Ashley.

“Ashley? That’s my sisters friend, don’t mind her she’s just in one of those moods.”

“Why does she look familiar? Have I seen her before?”

“She was at that party a few weeks ago in Redondo, and she’s AJ’s sister.”

“That’s McLean’s little sister?” he raised an eyebrow. “She’s pretty hot. Might just have to chat her up a little. What do you know about her?”

“I’m not even gonna go there man. AJ hates you and if he knew I had her anywhere around you he’d kill me.” Aaron laughed. “You’re on your own.”

“Whatever man, I guarantee I’ll be leaving here with at least her number tonight.”

“She’s pretty feisty.” Aaron smirked. “I dunno if you could handle her.”

“I got this, you know they don’t call me The Tiger for nothing.” He said as he finished rolling his blunt. “Watch the master work his magic.”

“Good luck with that.”

Ashley saw him walking towards her and bit her lip nervously looking down, trying to hide her apprehension.

“What’s a beautiful girl like you doing over here by yourself?” he asked as he approached her and held up his blunt as a peace offering.

“No thanks, I don’t smoke.” She said pushing his hand away slightly.

“Why not.” He leaned against the wall, casually taking another puff from his blunt.

“I’m a singer, it will kill my throat.”

“Aaron’s a singer and he smokes all the time.” He argued.

“Not the best case in point there.” She laughed.

“Ok then what about your brother?” he raised an eyebrow in question.

“You know my brother?” she said steering away from the previous conversation.

“Used to.” He shrugged. “He dropped me a few years back, haven’t talked to him much since.”

“I guess he’s just a pro at dropping people.” She sighed. A confused glance from Adam caused her to go on. “Let’s just say were not exactly seeing eye to eye right about now, and I don’t think we will be anytime soon.”

“He’s just a different person now. No need for all that bullshit in your life.” Adam shrugged. “So you’ve never smoked before?”

“Once.” She said simply.

“You didn’t like it?” he asked as he continued to smoke.

“I never said that, I liked it but like I said it killed my throat. I was coughing too much.”

“You just gotta be smooth with it,” he said relocating to the arm of the chair she was sitting in. “Go nice and slow with it, just take it easy.” He offered her the blunt again and this time she accepted.

She did as he said inhaling nice and slow, taking it in for a second before exhaling. She was surprised when she hadn’t started coughing.

“See nice and smooth, just like a said. That’s some good shit right there.” He smirked at her.

She just nodded taking another puff before handing it back to him.

“I’m Adam by the way.” He took it back and continued to smoke.

“Ashley.” She smiled a little.

“Well Ashley, if you ask me this place blows. What do you say we get out of here for a little while, just take a walk or something.” He offered.

“You can walk me back to the main house.” She smiled a little as he stood and held his hand out to help her up from the chair.

Aaron looked at him and shook his head laughing as he saw them walk towards the door. Adam just grinned back and placed a hand on Ashley’s lower back as he led her out the door.