- Text Size +
AJ paced back and forth in the Orlando General Hospital’s waiting room. Brian hadn’t told him about the pill bottle he had found. He didn’t understand how something like this could happen. All he kept thinking was what if he hadn’t checked on her. They would have never known anything was wrong. Now all he could do was pray she would be ok.

Denise and Kevin joined the two at the hospital. They felt as if they were waiting forever. Finally a doctor approached them.

At the same time Brian sat secluded from the rest. He pulled the pill bottle out of his pocket. Staring at it he thought to him self ‘Why would she want to hurt herself?’ this thought was racking his mind when he was snapped out of his thoughts by the doctor’s voice.

“Are the parent’s of Ashley McLean here?” he looked around the waiting room.

AJ and Denise jumped out of their seats unaware of what his news would be.

“You’re her parents?” he asked in confusion.

“I’m her legal guardian and this is my son. Her mother just passed away on Thursday.” Denise explained to the doctor.

“Alright. Well that might help to answer some of my questions.” He looked down at his clipboard. “Well we have her vitals stabilized but she’s still a little out of it.”

“What was wrong with her?” Denise questioned.

“It was an acute overdose. We pumped 150 mg/kg of aspirin out of her stomach.”

“An overdose?” AJ was shocked.

“It was an accident though right?” Denise said on the verge of tears.

“With the amount taken most likely not. 150 Mg/kg in her body size is equivalent to about 20 or more pills.”

Denise broke into tears as AJ wrapped his arms around her. They couldn’t believe that this was happening.

“Can we see her?” Denise asked.

The doctor nodded and led them to her room.

“Like I said before she’s still out of it and she might not remember everything so don’t ask her too much. She’ll have to stay here a couple of days and I’m suggesting she see the hospital counselor as well.”

“Okay, thank you very much doctor.” Denise said walking into the room.
AJ just lingered by the doorway, nervous to go inside.

Denise knew AJ was scared and that she had to be strong for the both of them. Denise motioned AJ to join her next to Ashley, but AJ couldn’t move.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Meanwhile Brian was distraught over all that had happened in the previous hours. He needed to talk to someone. He got up and walked over to Kevin.

“Hey man. Come get something to drink with me.”

“Is that all you can think of at a time like this?” Kevin joked with him immediately regretting it when he saw the look in Brian’s eyes. “What’s wrong?”

Brian slumped down into the chair across from Kevin.
“She tried to kill herself.” Was all he could manage to get out. Kevin was taken back.

“What?” he asked puzzled. “Who?”

“Ashley…she tried to kill herself.” He showed Kevin the bottle of aspirin.

“Are you sure…I can’t believe this.”

“The doctor’s have to know…what’s gonna happen to her?” Brian was worried.

“I don’t know man…you guys are just lucky you found her in time.” They both just stared off not knowing what to think or do, or how AJ was going to handle this.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


AJ finally got the courage to walk over to Ashley’s bed. He sat on the chair next to Denise and just stared at Ashley who seemed lifeless. She was so pale and so cold.

Ashley felt the presence of someone in the room and managed to open her eyes.

“Alex…Aunt Denise?” she questioned. “What happened? Where am I?”

AJ hesitated to answer. “You’re in the hospital.” Seeing the puzzled look on Ashley’s face he continued.
“Me and Brian found you passed out in the bathroom…the doctor said” he got choked up trying to fight back tears.

“We’ll talk about that more later.” Denise intervened not wanting to upset Ashley. “You need your rest.” She kissed her forehead. “I'll go let the boys know you’re ok.”

Ashley’s face turned stone cold now remembering what she had attempted to do and she broke into tears.

“I’m so sorry” she managed to choke out threw the tears. AJ grabbed her hand.

“No. I’m sorry Ashley, I was supposed to take care of you and I didn’t.” he couldn’t hold the tears in anymore.

“Alex its not you’re fault I just have nothing anymore…I want to be with my mom.”

AJ just held her hand, as she cried not knowing how to help her.

The doctor knocked on the door.

“Visiting hours are over now…you can come back in the morning.” He informed AJ.

“No…I don’t want to stay here by myself.” Ashley squeezed his hand tighter not wanting him to leave her. “Please, I’m scared.”

“Is there any way I can stay with her?” he asked the doctor.

“Well usually we only allow a family member to stay over night in the pediatric wing. We can’t move her down there tonight because she needs someone looking over her constantly to make sure her vitals remain stabilized.” The doctor informed them.

Ashley looked at him with pleading eyes and AJ sighed letting go of her hand.

"Let me talk to him ok. I won't leave you here alone." AJ got up and followed the doctor out of the room.

"Is there any way you can make an exception?" AJ asked. "She's only 12 and she's never had to stay at the hospital. She just lost her mom, I don't think she can handle this alone."

The doctor sighed. "I'll make an exception, but only for tonight. If she needs to stay longer she'll have to stay on her own."

AJ thanked the doctor and headed back into the room.

"Can you stay?" she asked timidly.

"Yea. Why don't you try and get some sleep. I'm gonna go let my mom know that I'm staying ok?"

"No, don't leave me in here alone." she grabbed his hand. "Alex, I'm really scared."

He sat down still holding her hand.
"I know kiddo, but everything will be fine." he kissed her hand. "Now get some rest, ok?"

She nodded and closed her eyes trying to fight back tears.

'I really messed up this time.' she thought to herself as she drifted off to sleep.