- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry this took a while i had a little writers block, but i think i have the next few chapters figured out so im gona do as much writing as i can next week.
“Happy birthday!” Ashley smiled at Angel as she opened the front door to the house.

“Thanks!” she said opening the door further so Ashley could come in. “and thanks so much for coming early to help me get everything ready, I know you’d rather be sleeping this early.”

“Would I ever say no to helping you out? Even if you did get me up at seven.” Ashley laughed stepping inside. “Just so you know my help doesn’t come for free, I expect breakfast.”

“One step ahead of you, got it ready in the kitchen.” She laughed as they walked to the kitchen and took a seat.

“Where is everyone today?”

“Who knows.” Angel shrugged. “Everyone’s coming and going lately, my dad should be home in a little but Aaron and Leslie are gone with mom I think.”

“How’s everything been going?”

“No ones been home so it’s actually been quiet, thankfully. I’m kind of glad everyone’s out of town today though because the last thing I need is for everyone to experience the wonderful happiness that is Carter family.” Angel laughed sarcastically.

“What about you, are you holding up?” Ashley asked noting the sadness in Angel’s voice.

“I’m fine, it doesn’t bother me really. I just like having this quiet time.” She smiled reassuring her friend.

“Well if you ever need to just get away you know my door is always open.”

“No worries, everything is fine. It’s my birthday, time to be happy, not think about my parent’s problems.”

“You’re right.” Ashley smiled. “Open your present, it will cheer you right up.” Ashley said handing her the large shopping bag.

“Shouldn’t I wait until everyone get’s here?” Angel laughed tempted to tear through the tissue paper.

“And make everyone else feel bad becuase they didn’t get you as amazing as a gift? It wouldn’t be fair.” Ashley laughed. “Besides I can see that you’re dying to check it out.”

“Maybe just a little peak.” Angel laughed pulling aside the tissue paper a little. “Is this what I think it is?” Her curiosity and excitement got the best of her as she pulled away the paper to reveal two large gift boxes. She pulled each one out quickly placing them on the table. “I can already tell you before even opening the boxes you went overboard.”

“Just hush and open them, don’t think about money or any of that. You’re my best friend I just wanted to get something I know you’d love.”

“Fine, fine.” Angel laughed first opening the box from Juicy Couture. She grinned seeing the baby pink sweat suit. “Oh my gosh this is adorable! I’ve been wanting a new one for forever.”

“I know.” She laughed. “Those just came out I had to get them right away. I got the same one but in hot pink so we match.” She smiled and continued. “Now go ahead open the other one, you’re gonna love it.”

“If this is what I think it is you’re insane.” Angel said opening the box from Coach. “Seriously, can I admit you to the psych ward now?” Angel said seeing the purse she had been eying for the past month.

“What? I know how bad you wanted it, so I got it for you. Just enjoy it that’s all I ask.”

“Umm how could I not? It’s amazing!” She said holding it up and admiring it. “If you weren’t my best friend already you would be moving on up right about now. How did you even afford this?”

“Oh did I forget to mention my financial crisis was relieved because my wonderful brother reinstated my credit card?”

“He did? What made him change his mind?”

“A full day of shopping with me.” She laughed. “He said he couldn’t stand holding another bag or going into one more girly store and that from now on he was dropping me off and never coming back.”

“That really worked?” Angel laughed.

“Believe me it took a lot, but he finally broke down. There are limitations this time though, obviously enough to get what I need though.” She laughed. “It feels good to have money again, I felt so deprived.”

Angel just laughed and shook her head at her friend putting her gifts away before getting them their breakfast.

“Well thanks again. I don’t think anyone else will beat you out in the gift department this year.”

“Good. I’m glad you’re happy.” She smiled as they began to eat.



A few hours later the girls were setting up the decorations in the back house where the party would take place. Angel was tying up balloons while Ashley was busy with streamers.

“So whose coming tonight?” Ashley asked.

“Just the usual, Danny Ryan everyone else who always comes and I think Kaylee is bringing her new boyfriend. I forgot his name.”

“She’s already got a new boyfriend? Didn’t she just break up with Mike like two weeks ago?” Ashley laughed.

“You know her, she bounces back fast.”

“So how long have you and Danny been together now?”

“A little over five months. That’s a new record for me.” Angel laughed. “But I really like him.”

“Aww yea, you guys are really cute together.” Ashley smiled.

“So what about you and Ryan, how have things been going?”

“Good, I guess.” She shrugged.

“What do you mean you guess? You guys have been dating for a few weeks now, has he asked you out yet?”

“I told him I want to take things slow, I’m not sure I’m ready for a relationship right now.”

“You’re pretty much going out as it is, you see each other every weekend and you’re not dating anyone else, what’s the difference?” She stopped what she was doing and took a seat on the couch.

“Once you put labels on things everything gets complicated and messed up. Things are good right now, why mess with it?”

“Ash you can’t keep worrying about what can happen or how he’s gonna mess up. If it’s meant to work out it will. You have to give it a shot though if you’re ever going to find out.”

“I’m not sure if I want to find out.” She sighed joining her on the couch.

“You don’t think that if you keep putting things off he’s eventually just going to give up?”

“Do you think he would?”

“No, Ryan’s a great guy and he really likes you. But if it’s not him what about the next guy? You have to take a risk in order to get the reward.”

“What fortune cookie did you get that from?” Ashley laughed slightly.

“Shut up.” Angel laughed. “Look just think about it. I see how much you like him. What’s the harm in giving it a shot?”

“I guess you’re right.” She sighed “I just don’t want to get hurt again.”

“And it doesn’t hurt going against what you really want? I know that you want to be with him. I think it’s harder and more stressful trying to come up with what if’s and reasons as to why you can’t be with him.”

“Why must you be so smart?” she laughed.

“You help me out, I just try and do the same.” Angel smiled and hugged her.

“Maybe I’ll talk to him tonight.” She hugged her back and sighed as they got back to decorating all the while thinking about what Angel has said.
Chapter End Notes:
hope you liked it :)