- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Im back :) hope you enjoy, i split this one into two parts to make it more fun so I'll do my best to get the rest up by the end of the weekend ENJOY!
Ashley groaned glancing at her clock as she heard her phone ring from across the room. It was now that she was regretting being too lazy to move it the night before. She stared up at the ceiling a few more moments before building up the strength to get out of bed.

“Hello?” she grumbled into the receiver as she trudged back to bed to lay down again.

“Hey babe. Did I wake you?” Ryan said from the other end.

“Its ok.” She said stifling a yawn. “What’s up?”

“Do you have any plans today?”

“I would have to check with the warden, but he hasn’t mentioned anything. What’s goin on?” She asked sitting up, trying to shake her desire to fall back asleep.

“My parents are having a barbeque this afternoon and they told me to invite you. I would have invited you sooner but they had all the seating arranged, apparently some people canceled so some spots opened up and you were first on their list to invite.”

“Spots opened up?” she chuckled a little. “Sounds more like a dinner with the queen.”

“My parents are a little eccentric. To them a barbeque is the equivalent of a dinner party. If it was a dinner party they would have splurged and gone for the ice sculpture.” He laughed although he was being honest.

“Are you sure I’m ready for that?” she laughed.

“It will be fine, they won’t bite your head off or anything. I guarantee they’ll say hello and you won’t see them until we leave.” He reassured her. “So do you think you can come? I will be bored out of my mind if you’re not there.”

“Hold on a sec.” She said getting up from her bed and heading downstairs to find AJ. “Alex.” She called out for him.

“Kitchen.” He yelled back.

“Would I be able to go to Ryan’s parents barbeque this afternoon?” she said from the doorway.

“I guess so, am I brining you or is he picking you up?” he asked looking up from his laptop.

“I can pick you up.” Ryan said over the phone.

“Picking me up.” She relayed.

“It’s fine with me, just remember we have to head back to Huntington in the morning, and you still have to finish that paper.”

“Geeze dad.” She teased. “It’s almost done no worries.” She said walking out of the room.

“Your welcome.” He called to her.

“Oh yeah, Thanks!” she yelled back. “Good to go, when should I be ready?”

“I’ll be there to pick you up in about two hours, is that good?”

“Good enough.” She said as she walked into her closet. “What should I wear?”

“Something sort of dressy. Like something you would wear to a nice restaurant in the hills.”

“Time to search the closet.” She laughed sorting through her dresses.

“Don’t go too crazy, I’m sure you’ll look great no matter what you wear.”

“Yeah yeah, you have to say that.” She laughed. “I’m hanging up so I can get ready, I think I have an idea what I want to wear. I’ll see you soon babe.”

“I’ll call when I’m on my way.” He said before hanging up.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Ash.” AJ called up the stairs as the doorbell rang a few hours later. “Ryan’s here.”

“I’ll be right down.” She said checking herself in the mirror once more and reapplying her lip gloss.

“Come on in, she’ll be down in a second.” AJ said opening the door.

“Thanks man.” Ryan said stepping into the foyer.

“You’re looking all dressed up, what’s the occasion?”

“Who knows. My parents are always having parties for no reason. Well then again they love showing off so that’s reason enough.” He shrugged. “I’m not into it, but gotta keep them happy if I want to keep the money flowing.”

“I’m sure it’s not that bad.” AJ laughed looking towards the stairs as Ashley came down.

Ryan looked up and smiled at her as she came over to them.

“Ready to go?” she smiled back.

“Yeah.” He nodded taking her hand.

“Be safe. Call if you’re going to be late.” AJ said as they walked out the door.

“Will do.” She said shutting the door behind her.

“You look amazing.” He said once they were by his car. He leaned in and kissed her quickly before opening her door.

“Thanks.” She smiled and got in the car. He closed her door and walked around getting in the drivers seat. “Good choice.”

“Huh?” she looked at him with a raised brow.

“Your dress. I really like it.” He laughed starting the car and pulling out onto the road.

“Thought you would.” She had decided on a simple short black halter dress that was accented with a pink belt.

“I know my parents are gonna love you.” He smiled at her as they got onto the highway.

“I’m kind of nervous, I’ve never done the meet the parents thing.” She admitted.

“Don’t worry babe. Like I said it won’t be some long drawn out thing, we can say hi and then just hang around the rest of the time. It won’t be anything too crazy I promise.” He smiled at her for reassurance and continued the drive back towards his house.

A short while later he pulled into the large circular driveway. Ashley stared up at his house in awe.

“What exactly do your parents do?” she turned towards him.

“Dad’s a lawyer moms a psychologist. Two biggest jobs in LA.” He teased “All were missing is the plastic surgeon and I think my brother will cover that one in about two more years.”

“Wow this house is crazy. It’s so beautiful.”

“Let’s get inside, people already started arriving and I’m probably gonna get death glares for not being here to greet them.” He shut off the car and walked around to let her out.

“I could have had my brother bring me if you had to be home.”

“No, no it’s all good. They knew I was going to pick you up, I just hit a little more traffic then I anticipated.” He said taking her hand and leading her up the walkway towards the front door. “Just relax and be yourself and everything will be fine. I promise.” He leaned in and kissed her quickly before opening the door.

“Wow…”she said looking around the entry way. She had seen plenty of nice houses before, but this one topped the cake. There was a huge winding staircase leading to the second story and a gigantic crystal chandelier hovering over the entrance. The floors were marble and it looked so clean she was afraid to take a step.

“I’ll give you a tour a little later, but let’s go out back and find my family.” He said slightly pulling on her arm to snap her out of her trance.

“What? Sorry.” She laughed at herself. “This place is just amazing.

“It’s ok.” He smiled at her. “I just said let’s head out back for now to see everyone and I’ll show you around a little later.”

“Oh ok.” She smiled following him towards the back.

Out back there was a huge white tent set up right off the house. Ashley could hear chatter and light classical music coming from within it. She could feel the butterflies grow larger in her stomach as they approached the entryway.

“Hey everyone.” Ryan said entering. He knew by the cars out front it was just family who was there already. He looked around at the group. “Where are my parents?”

“You know them, they’ll be triple checking every last thing until the party’s over.” Said an older blonde woman to his left. “Who’s this beautiful young woman?” she asked catching the attention of the rest of the small crowd.

“Everyone, this is Ashley, my girlfriend.”

An array of hi’s and hello’s came from the group.

“Ash, this is my Aunt Bonnie.” He said pointing to the woman who had spoken before and the continued around the table. “That’s my Uncle Scott, cousins Gina and Victoria. My sister Tiffany, her friend Jessy and that’s my brother Richie and his wife Katarina.”

“Hi.” She waved at them timidly her other hand still clutching Ryan’s tightly.

“No need to be shy, we don’t bite.” His uncle teased.

“We’re gonna go say hi to my parents, people should be arriving soon I wanna catch them before it get’s crazy.” Ryan said trying to take some of the attention off Ashley who was still visibly nervous.

“Just relax, everything’s going great.” He whispered to her as they exited the tent.

“Sorry.” She smiled sympathetically. “I just get overwhelmed meeting so many people at once.”

“To tell you the truth I’m kind of nervous too.” Ryan admitted. “I’ve never really brought anyone home before.”

“Should I feel special then?” she teased him with a smile.

“You are, so yes.” He stopped by the back door to give her a kiss this time making sure it was a little longer. “I’ve been wanting to really kiss you all day.” He admitted.

Ashley just blushed and smiled at him as he opened the back door.

“Jessy, isn’t she Jared’s sister?” she asked as they stepped back inside.

“Oh yeah, I didn’t think you had met her before.”

“Just once a little while ago, that’s why I wasn’t sure. I didn’t know your family and his were friends.”

“Better be, we all grew up together. His dad is one of the partners at my dads firm. I though you knew me and Jared knew each other.”

“I just thought you guys got along well.” She laughed.

“Jared’s brother and Richie are the same age so are Jessy and Tiff and Jared’s a year older then me. Our parents have worked together for years and before his parents got divorced we always used to go away together. Me and Jared were really close growing up but once he moved away we lost touch. I see him every now and then but we’ve kind of drifted. Were into different things now.” He shrugged.

“I guess they really mean it when they say everyone knows someone who knows someone in LA.”

“Where do you think they came up with the idea for ‘It’s A Small World’?” he teased.

“Wait so is Jared’s dad gonna be here at the party?” Ashley asked realizing how this small world could ruin her best friends secrets in just a few minutes. She had just seen Mr. Thompson last month and as far as he knew she and Jared were still an item. She couldn’t be Jared’s fake girlfriend and Ryan’s real one at the same time.

“I’m sure he will be. All the partners are always here.” He said. A quick look of horror flashed on her face. “As a matter of fact I think Jared might be coming too. I think I hear my parent’s in here, come on I’m excited for you to meet them.”

“Wait! Can I use your bathroom first? I wanna make sure I look ok.”

“You look fine, but if you want to be positive there’s one right down that hallway third door on the left.”

“I’ll be quick!” she said rushing towards the bathroom and digging her phone out the second the door shut. She quickly dialed Jared’s number hoping he would pick up. No luck, voice mail. It would have to do. “Jared, we have a big problem. Call me back ASAP- I’m at Ryan’s house and apparently your dad will be making an appearance. I think it’s safe to assume the jig is up but I don’t know what to do. CALL ME!”