- Text Size +
Ashley yawned as she walked out of her room and down the stairs a few days later. She was happy to finally be on her winter break. Her and AJ were back in the Malibu house for the next few weeks and Denise and Tony had come to stay for the holidays. Ashley was happy to have Denise back at home. She hadn’t seen her in several weeks and was beginning to miss her. As she approached the kitchen she could hear that everyone else was already awake. Peeking her head in she saw AJ Denise and Tony sitting at the table talking and laughing. She smiled to herself and walked in giving everyone a small wave.

“Nice of you to join us.” AJ teased looking at his watch.

“It’s only eleven, that’s early to me.” She said beginning to make something to eat. Once she was finished she joined them at the table.

“All your going to eat is toast?” Denise asked.

“I like toast.” She shrugged taking a bite.

“Tomorrow you’re eating a more complete breakfast.” Denise said before changing the subject. “Tony and I are going out for a while, do you need to do anymore shopping?”

“Nope, for once I did it early.” She said as she continued to eat. “Besides I have a stupid math, science and Spanish packets to do. I don’t think most teachers get the concept of a break. I want to get them done so I don’t have to worry about them later.”

“Smart thinking. So Alex was telling me that you met Ryan’s parents and went to a party at his house, how did that go?”

“It was eventful to say the least.” She sighed.

After Jared’s revelation Jessy took him home and Ryan and Ashley decided it would be best to sneak away from the party before people started questioning them. At school that Monday Jared was still very withdrawn and didn’t say much, which for him was a huge feat. However by Wednesday he was coming around and slowly realizing his world wasn’t crumbling. Ashley felt bad for him but at the same time was relieved their little lie was over. As rude and demeaning as Jared’s dad was sometimes she felt guilty lying to him.

“Are his parents nice?” Denise asked snapping her out of her thoughts.

“His dad was really nice, his mom was kind of emotionless. Ryan said it was because of the party, she always gets stressed but I dunno I just don’t think she liked me very much.”

“What’s not to like?” Tony chimed in.

“I dunno. His parents are just like these high class socialite people and I’m no where near that. I mean Ryan isn’t anything like that either but I don’t know I guess it’s just my own thoughts getting the best of me.”

“Hunny, just be yourself and they’ll like you just fine. If they don’t then they’re not worth the stress.” Denise smiled at her. “So when do we get to meet Ryan?”

“I don’t know, I guess whenever you want.”

“Why don’t you see if he can come for dinner tomorrow night.” She suggested.

“Sure. I’ll call him later.” She smiled getting up to put her plate in the sink. “I’m gonna go start my work.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A few hours later the house was quiet as AJ walked around cleaning up a little and putting up some last minute decorations. He heard some music coming from upstairs and decided to check on Ashley.

“Whatcha doin?” AJ asked poking his head into her room.

“Working on my Christmas present for mom and Tony.” She said placing the guitar down and waving him into the room.

“Did you write them something?” he asked pulling up a chair and taking a seat.

“No I heard this song the other day and I thought it would be perfect for them so I’ve been trying to learn it.”

“Oh, what song?”

“It’s called Bless the Broken Road.” She said showing him the CD cover. “It’s by Rascal Flatts.”

“Since when do you listen to country music.” He laughed tossing the CD back on the bed.

“I listen to anything as long as it’s good music.”

“So can I hear this song or what?”

“It can’t wait a few days?” she laughed.

“I haven’t heard you play the guitar since you got it. I won’t ruin the surprise I just wanna hear it.”

“Fine but no critiques, I still don’t have all the chord progressions perfect.” She said picking up the guitar again.

“No critiques, I just wanna listen.” He said watching her intently as she began to strum the guitar.

“I set out on a narrow way, many years ago. Hoping I would find true love along the broken road. But I got lost a time or two, wiped my brow and kept pushing through. I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you.

Every long lost dream led me to where you are. Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars pointing me on my way into your loving arms. This much I know is true, that God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you.

I think about the years I spent just passing through. I'd like to have the time I lost, and give it back to you. But you just smile and take my hand, you've been there, you understand. It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true.

Every long lost dream led me to where you are. Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars pointing me on my way into your loving arms. This much I know is true, that God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you.

But now I'm just rolling home into my lover's arms, this much I know is true, that God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you.

That God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you.”

As she finished playing she looked up from the guitar to get AJ’s opinion.

“So what do you think?”

“Thought you said no critiques.” He laughed.

“No negative ones, but do you think it’s a good gift?”

“Mom like anything personal so you know she’ll love it.”

“I know what would make it even better.” She smiled a little.

“And what would that be?” he raised a brow knowing where she was going with this.

“If you sang it with me.” She said as more of a question then a statement.

“Its your present to them, you should do it yourself.”

“But she would like it even more if it was me and you. Besides do you know when the last time me and you sang a song together was? Like when I was 10. We always used to sing together at Christmas, I think mom would like it.”

“Well if it’s what you want I would gladly do it. I just don’t want to steal your thunder.” He teased.

“From what I remember that was never a problem.” She shot back with a smile.

“Oh so you think you can out sing me huh?”

“Let’s just get down to business. Arrange this song, compete later.” She said handing him the lyrics that she had printed out.