- Text Size +
AJ sat up stretching his still sleepy muscles and yawning as he wiped the sleep from his eyes. Glancing at the clock on his nightstand he saw it was barely ten in the morning. He could smell the eggs and beacon from upstairs and though his head was telling him to sleep just a little longer, his stomach had a mind of its own. Stretching once more he got out of bed and made his way to the kitchen.

“Hey mom.” He smiled at her taking a seat on one of the stools. “Merry Christmas.”

“Good morning sweet heart.” She hugged him and placed a cup of coffee down in front of him. “Merry Christmas.”

“Thanks.” He said taking a big sip of his coffee. “Where’s everyone else?”

“I didn’t realize we were out of bread so Tony ran out to get some, he should be back any minute. Ashley is most likely still sleeping.”

“Do you need help with anything?” he asked as he finished his coffee and got up to make another cup.

“No just relax, everything’s almost done.” She said as the front door opened. “Actually, now that Tony’s back can you wake up your sister for breakfast. I don’t want everything to get cold.”

“My pleasure.” He smiled and got up from his seat waving at Tony as he passed him in the hallway.

He made his way up the stairs and knocked lightly on the door before peaking his head in. Ashley was still in bed sound asleep with the covers pulled up high. He crept over to the bed and smirked knowing it would be truly evil to wake her up from such a deep sleep.

‘Too bad I’m not that nice.’ He laughed to himself before pouncing on top of her.

“Wakey, wakey! Rise and shine!” he yelled as he landed on her.

“What the…Alex what are you doing you psycho!” she groaned trying to push him off of her.

“It’s Christmas and this is payback for all the times you woke me up.” He smirked patting her lightly on the face. “Now wakeup, breakfast is ready.”

“You’re such an idiot…” she finally got the strength to push him off. “Why must you be such a dork?”
“Because it makes life more fun.” He laughed.

“Whose?” she laughed sitting up and stretching a little and yawning.

“Is this the bear Ryan gave you?” AJ asked picking it up. She just nodded as she got up form her bed. “Aww you sleep with it, how sweet.” He laughed teasing her. “Do you hug it close too?”

“Shut up.”

“Is somebody blushing?” he smirked tossing the bear at her.

“No.” she caught it smiling at the bear a little before placing it back down on the bed.

“Someone’s got it bad.” He teased poking her.

“Do not.” She said trying to stifle her smirk.

“Just admit it.” He egged her on. “You got it you got it bad…” he laughed singing Usher.

“You really are such a dork.” She shoved him.

“Nothing to get so hostile about.” He teased. “He’s a good guy and for me to say that it means a lot. It’s nice to see you really happy.”

“It’s nice to be really happy.” She finally let her smile come out. “It’s not just him though, it’s everything. No drama at school for the most part, a great guy, me and you getting along.”

“Aww I make you happy?” he plastered a cheesy grin on. “Give me a hug.”

“Get away weirdo.” She laughed trying to push him away.

“You know you wanna.” He smirked coming at her again with arms opened wide.

“Not really.” She laughed ducking under his arms and running out the door and down the stairs.

“Come on, that was a cheap shot!” he laughed following her.

“Haha! Too slow!” she turned around and stuck her tongue out at him before running down the stairs.

“Meanie! All I wanted was one hug!” he pouted following her into the kitchen. “Is that too much to ask?”

“Yes.” She laughed shaking her head at the pout on his face. “Fine come here you big dork!” she laughed hugging him.

“See that wasn’t so bad now was it?”

“I guess not, although I think I may need to sanitize now.” She smirked.

“Ok you two, enough.” Denise laughed shaking her head. “it’s time to eat before the food get’s cold.”

“Don’t have to tell me twice.” Ashley laughed taking a seat waiting to dig in to breakfast.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After breakfast everyone retreated to their rooms to change and get ready for the rest of the day. Ashley was just about to head for her bathroom to shower when her phone began to ring. She tossed her towel onto her bed and picked up the phone.

“Hola.”

“Hey hon!” Jared said cheerfully on the other end. “Merry Christmas!”

“Hey babe! Merry Christmas.” She smiled. “Thanks for disappearing on me all week.”

“Sorry hon, I just needed some alone time. Nothing personal.” He apologized.

“It’s all good. How you holding up, major crisis averted?”

“I’m great actually. Sit down for this one, I have big and amazing news.”

“Ready and listening.” She hoped on her bed awaiting his news, hearing the excitement in his voice.

“So I woke up this morning to find my first Christmas present waiting for me on my nightstand. Guess what it was.”

“Tell me, tell me, tell me!”

“My acceptance letter to UCLA!” he practically screamed.

“Oh my gosh! Are you serious! That is awesome!”

“Not only that, they offered me a partial scholarship!”

“That’s incredible, are you beyond excited?”

“I almost had a heart attack! I had to read it over three times and pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.”

“That’s so incredible, I’m so proud of you, and so happy that you’re staying close by. I don’t know what I would do if you went off far away like Tina. I can’t believe she’s going all the way to Texas.”

“I know, I’m gonna miss her, but at least I still have you.”

“Aww what a sweetheart.” She smiled. “We have to go out and celebrate soon.”

“That brings me to my second present and my second heart attack of the day.” He laughed.

“Do tell.”

“Last night my dad called me and asked me to come over today so we could talk, which is where I am right now by the way.”

“How did that go?” she asked nervously.

“Surprisingly well.” He said with a sigh of relief. “He pretty much apologized for always putting me down and said he didn’t realize it at the time, it was just what he grew up around and he didn’t know any better. Then he said that although it may take him some time to fully get used to the idea he respects my decisions and lifestyle and will love me regardless. I seriously think that’s the first time I’ve ever heard him say that.”

“Wow, that’s awesome.” Ashley smiled happy that things we’re going well for him.

“On top of that he brought me out into the garage and there was a brand new fricken BMW convertible. He said that I should start college off the right way.”

“Umm you better be taking me out in that!” she laughed.

“As much as I always said I didn’t want a new car I might just have to retire the Mystery Mobile and move on up.” He laughed.

“You deserve it more then anyone I know. You worked so hard in school, you should reward yourself.”

“Thanks hon. Maybe tomorrow I’ll stop by and take you out for a drive.”

“You better!” she laughed. “I’m so glad that things are going better, I missed your energetic self.”

“I’m just glad my world didn’t come to an end like I thought it would.”

“We told you to just give it some time. I’m really happy for you.”

“I know, I know.” He laughed. “Thanks for putting up with my dramatics through this all though. I don’t know if I could have dealt alone.”

“You know I’m always here for you.” She reminded him.

“And that’s why I love you.” He laughed. “Ok babe, gotta run. We’re all going out to lunch, it should be interesting, mom and Dan are coming too.”

“Have fun with that.” She laughed knowing his dad and step dad didn’t get along that well.

“I’ll call you tomorrow when I can stop by.” He said. “Tell the fam Merry Christmas.”

“Same here, bye hon.” She said hanging up and getting back to getting ready.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The day had passed quickly and before everyone knew it dinnertime had arrived. They all sat down around the table laughing and catching up on everything they had missed through the past few weeks. After dinner they moved into the living room to start opening presents. The gifts were winding down to the last few and Ashley knew it was the perfect time for her gift, she just hope it would be well received. She had worked hard on it and wanted things to go off flawlessly. Clearing her throat she caught everyones attention and spoke up.

“So now it’s my turn for your guys present.” Ashley smiled at Denise and Tony. “You guys are gonna love it, or at least I hope you will.”

She got up from the couch to retrieve her guitar and came back in the room taking a seat next to AJ on the couch. “So I heard this song and I immediately thought of you two.”

“Oh we get our own little show.” Denise smiled enthusiastically.

“And it’s a two for one deal.” Ashley laughed. “I know when we were younger me and Alex always used to sing together on Christmas and we thought it would make it even better if we sang this song together. So Merry Christmas, I hope you like it.” She smiled.

“Ready?” she asked looking over at AJ. He nodded and she began playing the opening chords of the song. AJ took the first verse and Ashley joined him for the chorus then switched and ended the song together.

“That was just absolutely beautiful.” Denise said with a few tears in her eyes. “I loved it.”

“The two of you together make a dangerous combination.” Tony chuckled handing Denise a tissue.

“Thank you.” She smiled and wiped her eyes. “I think that calls for an encore.”

“How’s about an old favorite, we always used to sing this one together.” She smiled playing the opening chords to Silent Night. AJ smiled as his memory filled in the blanks on their old arrangement and he began to sing.

“Silent night, holy night.” He began. “All is calm all is bright.

“Round yon Virgin Mother and Child.” Ashley took over. “Holy Infant so tender and mild.”

“Sleep in heavenly peace.” They both sang in unison. “Sleep in heavenly peace.”

“Well I might just have to say declare this as one of the best Christmases ever.” Denise smiled as Ashley put down the guitar and gave AJ a hug.

“Peaceful, drama free and quiet.” Ashley sighed with a smile. “Let’s just hope it stays that way, at least for a while.”