- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Updated 8/30/09

I put the date just in case you weren't sure which chapter you had seen last since I havent been updating this close together in a while...

enjoy :)
The week passed quickly and it was soon it was New Years Eve. AJ was busy setting up for the party they were throwing that night while Denise was out getting the last of what they needed. Ashley came down stairs to find AJ in the kitchen talking to the caterers.

“What’s up? AJ said looking away from the caterers who were busy setting up the tables for the food.

“Question…what are my chances of missing this party and going to one with my friends instead?” she plastered on a big hopeful smile.

“I’d say slim to none.” AJ said stopping what he was doing to look at her just in time to see her smile turn to a scowl. “What? This party has been planed for over a month. You can’t change plans a few hours before it starts.”

“Its gonna be so boring…why can’t I just go out with my friends?” she huffed.

“You already went out with your friends three nights this week. Will it really kill you to stay home with your family?” AJ asked.

“There’s not gonna be anyone here my age I’m going to be so bored!”

“You were excited about the party up until now, so what’s the difference?”

“I didn’t have anywhere better to be before now. All of my friends are gonna be there.”

“Well too bad, mom leaves in two days and you’re staying home to celebrate with us.”

“This sucks. I never get to do anything I want.”

“Don’t start this crap now. You’re fifteen, not five, there’s no need for pouting and whining when you don’t get your way. The party is going to be fun, you’re life isn’t going to end just because you’re missing one night with your friends. Now go upstairs and finish getting ready. Don’t ruin this night for mom by being a brat.”

Ashley just sighed in defeat and stomped upstairs.

A few hours later the party had began and as much as she didn’t want to admit it she was having fun. Although there wasn’t anyone her age there she was happy to see many of AJ’s friends that she hadn’t seen in a long time including some of the boys. Even though she still wished she could be with her friends she was glad that AJ made her stay home and spend time with people who were like extended family. It was nearing midnight and everyone was beginning to gather outside near the pool where there was a large projection screen broadcasting the ball drop.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“I feel bad for Ryan.” Angel said to Danny from their spot on the dance floor. “He’s not having any fun at all.”

“He said he feels like a third wheel.” Danny shrugged. “I told him that’s crazy but he’s been over then texting Ashley all night.”

“I kind of feel bad about that too, maybe we should have gone to her house instead.”

“She said to come here, we offered to go over.”

“I know I just still feel bad.” Angel sighed looking back over towards Ryan. “Who the heck is that?”

“What are you doing over here all alone?” A blonde approached Ryan as he was sulking in a corner.

“Oh, hey Gina.” He half smiled at one of his friends from school.

“Why do you look so miserable, its New Years Eve and this party is rockin. Yet you look like you’re at a funeral.” She laughed a little touching his arm.

“Just wish my girlfriend was here.” He sighed and moved himself away from her.

“Who? That girl that was at Ray’s party with you the other night?” she asked confirming her thoughts.

“Yeah, Ashley.” He smiled a little saying her name. “She had another party to go to so she couldn’t come.”

“Don’t let her ruin your night. Have fun, come on come dance with me.” She smirked at him taking his hand and trying to pull him towards the dancing crowd.

“I’m good, thanks.” He respectfully declined with a smile.

“One dance won’t kill you, I’m sure your girlfriend won’t mind. She’s probably out having fun, why shouldn’t you?” she smiled at him pulling his hand towards the dance floor again, this time he agreed.

Everyone turned their attention towards the DJ booth as the music lowered and the DJ came over the speakers to announce the start of the countdown.

“We’re almost there, it’s time to welcome in the New Year so make sure that special someone is close by. Here we go!”

The crowd started counting down from ten as they watched the ball begin its descent.

“Ten…nine…eight…seven…six…five…four…three…two…one…Happy New Year!” Everyone yelled as balloons dropped and confetti flew.

Before he could even turn to celebrate with his friends Gina grabbed his shirt and pulled him into a kiss as a flash of light went off around them.

“What the hell are you doing?” Ryan yelled pushing her away from him.

“It’s New Years, you needed a kiss.” She smirked as her friend gave her a thumbs up that all went as planned.

“I have a girlfriend!” he wiped his mouth still visibly angry at her as Angel and Danny joined them having only witnessed the tail end of the kiss.

“What the hell was that?” Angel said at him angrily.

“I wish I knew.” He looked towards Gina for answers.

“Relax, it was just a harmless New Years kiss…nothing really.” She smirked at him giving a little wave and walking off to join her friends.

“I swear I didn’t kiss her.” Ryan turned his attention to Angel. “I would never do that to Ashley.”

“Stupid bitch, she’s lucky there’s too much security here or I would have beat her ass.

“I have to go call Ashley…” Ryan said and made his way towards the exit where it was quiet.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Everyone watched the screen outside as the ball began to drop. Ashley looked around at all the older couples awaiting that final number to hit so they could share in the moment. She wished Ryan could be there with her.

“Ten…nine…eight…seven…six…” she heard everyone start and decided to put her sadness behind her and join in on the fun. “five…four…three…two…one…Happy New Year!”

Streamers and noise makers went off as everyone hugged and welcomed in the New Year as Ashley felt her phone vibrate signaling a message. Anticipating it was from Ryan she grinned as she eagerly opened her phone to reveal a message from an unknown number. Curiosity getting the best of her she decided to open it rather then just deleting it. She was shocked and felt her heart breaking as she saw a picture of a girl with her arms around Ryan kissing him.

Holding back tears that were threatening to fall she quietly sneaked through the door leading back inside. She tried to hold it together as she passed a few people in the hall smiling at them as best she could. Once everyone was out of sight she ran up the stairs and slammed her door barely making it to her bed before her tears began to fall.