- Text Size +
The sun peaked threw the curtains the next morning. Ashley rubbed her eyes and glanced over at the clock.
It was already 11 AM. Had she really slept threw the whole night? She hadn’t realized how tired she was when they returned from the hospital yesterday.

She sat up in bed stretching and letting out a small yawn. She could smell the bacon coming from the kitchen so she knew AJ was awake. She headed down the stairs.

“Oh hey stranger, you’re awake.” AJ smiled at her as he sat down with his food. “Want some eggs and bacon?”

“No, I’ll just have some cereal.” She got out a bowl and some corn pops making herself a bowl of cereal and joining AJ. “Why didn’t you wake me up from my nap? We were supposed to watch movies.”

“I figured you were really tired. It’s been a crazy few days, you needed a good nights sleep.” He took a big bite of food and continued. “Mom is coming over in a little, she has some things she wants to talk to you about.”

“Like what?” she asked curiously.

“It’s a surprise, but you’ll like it.” He grinned at her. “When you’re done eating get dressed. I have a meeting in about 30 minutes but you and mom are gonna meet me after and we’re gonna go to dinner to talk about the big surprise…sound good?”

“Yup.” She placed her bowl in the sink. “I’m gonna go take a shower this way I’m ready when aunt Denise gets here. I guess I’ll see you later then.”



Ashley stepped out of the shower about 30 minutes later. She wrapped her towel tightly around her and shook out her wet hair. She walked over to her closet to lay out her clothes and then returned to the bathroom to blow dry her hair. After she was ready she headed downstairs. She heard two voices coming from the living room but only recognized one.

“Hi Aunt Denise.” She peeked her head in seeing Denise sitting across from a man.

“Hi Ashley. Good, you’re ready. We have to be leaving soon.” Denise smiled at her. “Come here, I want to introduce you to someone.”

Ashley walked over and stood next to her aunt’s chair smiling timidly at the stranger.

“Ashley, this is a good friend of mine, Tony. Tony, this is my niece Ashley.” Tony stood up to greet her and shook her hand.

“Hi Ashley, I’ve heard so much about you. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.”

“Nice to meet you too.” Ashley smiled more warmly now. ‘Is this my surprise? I sure hope not.’ She thought to herself as she took a seat in an open chair.”

“How are you doing today?” Denise asked.
“Better.” Ashley replied.

“Good. I’m glad.” Denise glanced over at the clock. “Ok we have to meet Alex soon, we should get going.” She smiled as they all got up and headed towards Tony’s car.

“Where are we eating?” she asked as they pulled out of the driveway.

“Romanelli’s.” Denise informed her as the grin grew on her face.

“YES! I love that place!” Ashley beamed.

“We know.” Denise laughed.



A short while later they pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant. AJ was already waiting outside finishing off a cigarette.

“Hey guys. Our table’s ready.” He threw down the butt of his cigarette and put it out with his foot then led them inside.

A waitress greeted them and led them to a secluded table near the back of the restaurant. They looked over the menu and ordered their food.

“So is coming here for dinner my surprise?” Ashley asked.

“Nope.” AJ grinned. “It’s even better then this.”

“Tell me what it is PLEASE!” she begged them.

“Are you gonna keep bugging like that till we do?” he laughed.

“If that’s what it takes.” She grinned evilly.

“Mom just tell her, for the sake of my sanity.” AJ laughed.

Denise reached in her purse and pulled out a set of papers.

“What’s that?” Ashley asked.

“Read it.” Denise smiled as she handed her the papers.

“Time4Learning Home School Program.” She read out loud. “What’s this?”

“It’s a program that lets you do your school work from home.” Denise said.

“Or on a tour bus.” AJ laughed.

“A tour bus?” Ashley asked confused.

AJ grinned back at her.

“Wait…I get to go on tour with you guys?” she almost yelled.

“Well I have to manage the boys, and since I can’t be in two places at once this was the best option.” Denise chimed in.

“This is awesome!” Ashley grinned from ear to ear. AJ was happy to see her smile.

“Of course you will have to keep up with all your school work. I don’t want you falling behind.” Denise warned her.

“I promise I’ll do good. Thank you so much guys. This is the best surprise ever.”

Ashley couldn’t wipe the smile off her face. Things were starting to look up for her and she couldn’t be happier.