- Text Size +
Brian stared at Howie before looking at Kevin. Kevin looked like he was going to be sick. His mouth was moving but Brian couldn’t hear anything coming out. He was just silently mouthing things to himself. Brian turned his attention to AJ who had somehow in the last few seconds gone from leaning on his shoulder to kneeling on the floor. Brian raised an eyebrow at the younger man. He was evidently sobbing. Silently. Brian frowned and finally looked to Howie. His head was hung and tears were flowing freely down his face, he appeared to be mumbling something but it was too quiet for Brian to hear. It was all too quiet, Brian thought to himself, watching as the hospital staff silently ran backwards and forwards around them, as he sat down in one of the many seats that lined the hospital corridors. Too, too quiet.

~~~

AJ bought his clenched fist up to his mouth; his other hand wrapped around it and willed himself not to cry. “I didn’t mean it.” He whispered. “I never meant it Nick. I’m sorry.” He finished, his voice barely audible as it threatened to break.

~~~

Kevin shook his head. No. He thought to himself. No, no, no, no, no. Just no. There was no way. Simply no. It wasn’t happening again. “No.” He thought again, whispering the word out loud, his voice watery. “Not again.”

~~~

Howie wiped at his eyes, hoping to stop the tears that were continually tracking their way down his face. He sniffed, trying to pull himself together. It was like a nightmare. He thought to himself. No. “It is a nightmare.” He whispered.

~~~

“It’s a nightmare.”

A what?

“It’s a nightmare sweetie, come on just open your eyes for me.”

A nightmare?

“Come on baby, open up.”

It didn’t happen. None of it did. They were all okay.

“Please sweetie. Come on, open your eyes.” The voice was desperate and pleading, crying almost.

Slowly Nick opened his eyes. “Momma?” He croaked, as he saw his mother to his side desperately clutching his hand. “Momma?” He repeated again, his voice unnaturally high.

Jane had tears in her eyes. “Oh baby, you’re awake. I was so worried.”

Nick swallowed, his own tears threatening to fall. He was so confused and he hurt everywhere. “Momma, what happened? I… the guys… what happened? I… where are they…” He began to ramble, his voice shaking. What had happened?

Jane bit her lip and tried to hold back more tears.

Nick’s face fell from one of confusion to fear and he began to shake his head. “No, momma, no. They were there, I… they were all there and they were talking… it didn’t happen, it was just a nightmare. It was just...”

Tears began to make their way down Jane’s face. “I’m sorry sweetie.”

Nick was still shaking his head, tears beginning to fall. “No, mom, no, no, no…” His tears drowned out his words.

“I’m sorry baby… They didn’t make it.”

~~~

“This is Suchin Pak for a special MTV news bulletin. We’re receiving confirmed reports that Backstreet Boys AJ McLean, Brian Littrell, Howie Dorough and Kevin Richardson have died after their tour bus crashed earlier today en route from New York to Washington. The condition of youngest Backstreet Boy Nick Carter is still unknown but it is being said that he suffered the least injuries of all the boys.
The group which has bought us hits for over ten years and has sold over 20 million albums, only recently celebrated breaking the album sales record again for their most recent release GLORY, and were due to begin their tour in Washington tomorrow.
The Boys, who have always been known for their determination and love for one another as well as their fans, will be sorely missed by all at MTV. Our thoughts and prayers go out to their family, friends and fans. Be sure to stay tuned to MTV as we bring you all the news on this story as it happens.”