- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter may have a hint of R in it, but I personally does not feel it's enough to change overall story rating.

This was not the first time something like this had happened. This was the not the first time he had come running into the bar because he had seen something too terrible, too horrible, or too sad, to deal with on his own. This was not the first time the others had gathered around him, handing him what he needed without him having to ask, and sitting there silently, not saying a word (which, with both Nick and Justin in the room, was a bit or a miracle), waiting for him to talk. Waiting for him to tell them what he had seen this time.

The last time it had been because he had known, from only a handshake, that the girlfriend of one of his coworkers was going to get diagnosed with cancer, and most likely die from it, just like her mother and aunt had, and there was nothing he could do or say about it, because no one there knew about what he could do, and either way she would find out later that same day, the day after they got engaged (which was the reason she had been introduced to everyone that day), and he knew, he just knew, that she would die before they got married.

Sometimes he hated what he could do, hated it because for the most part, there was nothing he could do about what he saw. He could have told his coworker about his gift, could have told him about the cancer, but in the end, it wouldnīt change her fate. She would still die, and for his coworker, it would still hurt like hell, knowing about Brianīs gift or not. Most of the time, he had to share the horrors, because keeping them to himself to tear him apart in the end. He needed to share, needed to tell, needed to have someone else who could tell him there was nothing he could do.

But this time it was different. This time, there was something he could do. He had seen her future, and as far as he knew, it was not her immediate, will-happen-today future. He didnīt know how he knew, but something inside kept telling him he had time, not a lot of it, but still, he had time. Time to do something. Time to help her. Time to try.

**********

He kept looking past their heads as he told them about his vision, kept staring at nothing. He tried to tell them as much as he could remember about his vision, and about the woman it belonged to. He told them about her family, her husband, who had blue eyes that sparkled in the sunlight, and her three children, a boy and two girls, who smiled and laughed and played and were happy. He told them about how she was doing well in her job, and would probably be getting a raise in pay one of these days. He tried to remember what the office had looked like, but it was as if the focus had been off when the picture had been taken and placed in his head, because he couldnīt seem to see it properly at all. It was just the face of her boss, and the coworker who gave her two thumbs up, smiling and being happy for her.

He had to pause for a second after that, and drink a little more water. He was now getting to the hard part. The part he wish he hadnīt seen. Downing the JD shot that once again seemed to appear out of nowhere (Chris to thank this time), he started talking again. He tried to remember the details, but for some reason they seemed more blurred now, like they were slowly fading away from his mind, even as the sound of the gunshot was ringing louder and louder in his head.

He remember her walking, feeling worried, nervous, like she thought she was being followed. But then she had been happy again, with her family again. And then there was just her, and the gun, and then just the gun, and a flash of light. BANG!

He felt a hand touch his shoulder gently, and leaned into the touch a little, giving AJ a grateful smile. “We have to save her,” he said, and when no one answered him, he said again, his voice a little louder, and more commanding, “We HAVE to save her!”

**********

After his declaration, no one had said anything for what seemed like hours, they were all just standing there, looking at each other, all seemingly deep in thought. It was a customer who brought them out of their collective silence. They had no idea when he had entered the bar, or how long he had been standing there waiting to get served, but he finally gave up waiting for them to notice him. “Excuse me!” He had talked in a regular voice, but it rang out in the otherwise deathly quiet bar. Justin seemed startled, and jumped a little before he quickly moved over to take the mans order. He wanted food, so Chris quickly retreated back to their small kitchen to make him a sandwich. It was getting late in the day, but food was available until nine, and if you asked nicely, and Chris was in a good mood, he would make food as long as they were open.

Nick and AJ didnīt move, but instead sat down an either side of him, both well within his comfort zone, Nick leaning up against him and putting his head on Brianīs shoulder, and AJ resting his hand at the small of Brianīs back, moving it in a small, circular motion that Brian found soothing.

Having handed the customer his beer, Justin came back, with a determined look on his face. “I got an idea,” he said. The other three looked up at him. “Shoot,” AJ said. “We go back,” Justin said, and held out his arms, as if the three words were the answer to everything. “What do you mean?” Nick asked. “We go back to where this happened, and you see if you can pick up something else. Something that will tell us something more about this mystery woman. Because right now, we got nothing.” Nick shook his head. “You know he canīt just turn it on like that Justin. It doesnīt work that way.” Justin didnīt have to say anything in reply to that, because his face had a very clear īI know that!ī expression, complete with glaring eyes and raised eyebrows. Nick looked like he was about to make a smart remark when Brian put his hand over Nickīs on the bar.

“Heīs right,” he said to Nick, and continued before Nick had time to argue with him. “I know I know Nick, you are right, I canīt just turn it on whenever I feel like it, but this feels different. I barely touched this woman, or she barely touched me. It doesnīt matter. Thing is, from that little touch I got all of this. Even after she was long gone, I could still feel the gunshot in the air, you know. The emotions surrounding this are so strong, they might still be there. Anything else she might have touched could still have some residue of this vision, of her future. I might still be able to pick something up. And you know that even if I canīt turn it on whenever, if I really concentrate, I can enhance it somewhat, if there is already something there.”

He looked from Nick to Justin to AJ, and then noticed that at some point during his little speech, Chris had returned from the kitchen. “Sounds like a plan,” he said. “Soon as Dean gets here, weīll all go with you” AJ added, and the three others nodded. “Dean was here yesterday, so I think itīs Samīs day, but even so, we still canīt just leave him alone,” Brian said to them. He liked their plan, but just didnīt see the need in them abandoning their work just to hold his hand while he searched for answers. “OK, You three go, and Iīll stay here,” Chris said, making the decision about what to do for all of them. “Besides, when the others arrive, I can fill them in as well, so we can all brainstorm together when you get back,” he added with a nod. “Now go, Samīs here, or will be once he stops staring at the cute blonde who is currently walking by our front door.” Turing, they could see Sam standing with one hand on the doorknob, the other running through his out-of-control hair, his head turned all the way so he could look at the cute blonde as she was walking away down the street.

Brian got to his feet, and beside him, Nick and AJ did the same, but he was grateful that AJ kept his hand where it was, needing the contact. Justin had somehow made it to the back, and came back with Nickīs and AJīs jackets, and together they left the bar, AJīs hand returning to his lower back after he had removed it to take on his jacket. AJ stayed at his side, Nick and Justin fell in behind them, and there they walked, in silence, letting Brian lead them to where they were going to find their answers.

**********

They had walked most of the way in silence, first to the closest subway station, and then taking the train three stops back to where the woman had left the train. Stepping out onto the platform, Brian stopped, looking around, and then turned to the others. “I guess this is where I begin,” he said, and glanced around. “So what are you gonna do?” Justin asked. He knew as much as most of them did about Brianīs gift, but he had never actually witnessed Brian trying to do something like this before.

“I try to concentrate while touching random objects, hoping the vision was powerful enough to leave some kind of residue behind. And crossing my fingers there wonīt bee too many strong emotions connected to this place,” Brian answered, and walked over to the nearest trash can, letting his fingers run over it in a slow but flowing movement. “What does he mean by emotions?” Justin asked AJ and Nick. “You know how he sometimes knows random things about you, or seems to be reading your mind?” Nick said, keeping his voice low as if it would make a difference to Brianīs concentration if one of the maybe thirty people at the platform tried to be silent. “Yeah,” Justin said, waiting for Nick to actually answer his question. “Aside from the whole ītelling your fortuneī thing heīs got going, he can also pick up on your emotions sometimes. And really strong ones, like hate and shit, leaves an imprint or something. Like, he can sense stuff that happened after it actually happened.” “Which is wicked cool sometimes,” AJ interrupted, “but in this case, it could fuck with the powerful energy of the vision. So, something that happened in the past can hide or cover up of just make it really hard to find the stuff that is going to happen in the future.”

“So, heīs touching things she might have touched?” Justin looked from Nick to AJ. “Yeah,” Nick answered as AJ gave an affirmative shrug. “Then whatīs he doing over by the probably urine-infested bench? Cause Iīm telling you, thereīs no way she came within three feet of that thing!”

**********

He kissed her hard as she sat down on his lap, straddling him on the bench. It was late, and there was no one around, and even if there had been, they wouldnīt have cared, or noticed. His hands move up her back, cradling her head, moving her gently into a deeper kiss. They moved down again, before coming back up, taking her t-shirt with it. He threw it carelessly on the ground next to them, and leaned out a little to allow her to remove his own shirt, which joined hers on the ground. She opened his fly, while he pushed her miniskirt up, moving her small thong to the side so he could access her easily. She was massaging him through his silk boxers, working on getting him hard, getting him ready. He deepened the kiss even more, and pulled her entire body closer to him, onto him.

Brian pulled his hand back quickly, as if the bench had burned him. Panting a little, he rubbed a hand over his face, shaking his head. He felt flushed, and was unsure if it was because he was blushing from having witnessed a very personal moment (even if it had taken place in a very public place) or if it was because even though he was very much gay, he had still found the private picture show he had going on in his head to be very hot and was currently maybe just a little turned on, sick as that may be.

“What did you see?” They had obviously seen his reaction, because now all three were hovering over him, concerned looks on their faces, all three ready to take him and hold him tight and never let go if that was what he needed. He turned to look at AJ, who had been the one to ask the question. “Nothing relating to her,” he answered, and made a move to continue searching. “It was something though, right?” Justin asked, placing a hand on his forearm, holding him back without actually restraining him. “Just very three-dimensional, surround-sound at maximum sex. Nothing I havenīt seen before. Usually a lot of strong emotions connected to sex, so I tend to pick it up easy. Unfortunately for me, people like to have sex in the weirdest of public places. You donīt even want to know what goes on in the bathroom of that restaurant you like so much, or the clubs for that matter. Or the bakery.”

Leaving Justin with a few mental images he may or may not have wanted, he moved over to the nearest column, continuing what they had come there for. Nick followed closely behind him, ready to jump in whenever he might be needed for something. This was not his first field-trip, or his tenth for that matter, so he knew to stay close to Brian at all times. AJ was looking from the bench to Justin. Shaking his head, he grabbed Justin and started dragging him in the direction Brian and Nick were moving. “Damn! Never thought Iīd wish I had your gift thingy Brian. But DAMN! I so wish I could see that! Free fucking porn!”

Two more incidents of very public sex, a post-breakup breakdown, five beatings and a heart attack later, Brian felt like his head was going to explode, and he was nowhere closer to finding out anything about his mystery woman. Whoever she was, she had walked across the platform without touching anything. Brian wasnīt sure of much at this point, but that he knew for a fact. Whoever she was, and wherever she had gone after leaving the train, if she had touched anything, some residue would still he there. The vision he had experienced had been so powerful, it would have left something behind somewhere else. He just needed to find it, needed to find something she had touched, or brushed up against, or been in contact with in any way.

As he had stopped walking, and was just standing there, looking absently around, trying to figure out if there was anything else she could have touched, Nick walked up behind him. Turning him around, Nick ran his hands through is hair, and then gently rubbed two finger against his temples, trying to ease his headache. AJ and Justin were standing right behind Nick, both ready to help out if Brian needed it. “Nothing,” Brian said, looking at his friends. “I got nothing on her. Iīve tried and tried and nothing I touch give me anything. And my head is going to explode. And I just want to lie down and sleep for a week!”

“Donīt give up yet,” AJ said, and looked around. “Why not?” Brian asked, his voice sounding defeated. “Because weīve only searched the platform. Still got the stairs leading up, and places close to the stairs up on the street. So now all we gotta do, and by we I mean you, are to pick a stairwell and start touching the hell out of it!” Brian had to laugh a little, but regretted it as once, as his head actually seemed to explode a little when he did. Making a quick decision, he picked the stairs closest to him, walked over, and started doing exactly what AJ had said he should do, touching the hell out of them.

**********

She was standing in her office, smiling, looking at all the people around her, congratulating her on her promotion. Her boss shook her hand, and a woman gave her a hug, smiling from ear to ear. All around her she was surrounded by happy and smiling people. She sat down on the couch, letting her husband lie his head on her lap as they watched something on TV, relaxin in the near silence, the television the only sound in the room, the kids asleep. A waiter showed them a bottle of wine, and she nodded, happy with the choice. She spoke to the man sitting opposite her, and he put his newspaper down, focusing all his attention on her. He said goodbye outside the restaurant, gave her an awkward kiss on the cheek before getting into a waiting black SVU, as she hailed a cab.

Brian sat down, unable to say anything as the others ran over to him. He had been touching the stairs for the past half an hour, and was pretty sure at some point only AJ, Nick or Justinīs glares had made people keep walking without questioning what the hell he was doing. At some point a police officer had seemed a little too interested in him, until Justin had explained that he was looking for his wife's favorite earring, which she was sure she had lost somewhere around here. Clearly he must have looked whipped or something, as the man hadnīt even noticed his distinctive lack of wedding band, or how he was so exhausted he must look like he was coming off some sort of high.

The other three were by his side in a moment, Nick dropping down next to him on the stairs, AJ and Justin leaning over him, concerned looks on all their faces. “You find something, or giving up?” Nick asked, keeping his voice low, which was either to keep the people who were now definitely staring from hearing anything, or because he knew that Brianīs senses were so sensitive now even a near whisper sounded like Nick was screaming in his ears. “I got something,” he answered, and was surprised to hear just how much relief was in his voice when he said it. He had been so set on finding something, he had ignored the fact that he was close to falling over from exhaustion.

“Well, spill!” Justin prodded impatiently, which caused AJ to give him a not-so-soft nudge. Nick looked like he was about to say something as well, but kept his mouth shut and let Brian set the pace. “It was mostly more of what I already saw, and stuff that doesnīt really help us. It was from when she got promoted, which I am pretty sure already happened. Then she was home with her husband, watching TV, which was not helpful at all. But, there was something.” He stopped to take a few breaths. He felt winded, even though he hadnīt really been doing anything other than walking around and touching things for the part hour and a half. He rubbed his temples, trying to ease the pain, but figured the only thing that would really help was sleeping for twelve hours straight. He smiled as Nick laid his head on his shoulder, and gave him a soft kiss on the neck. “Take your time,” he said, and gave him a reassuring smile. “She went to a restaurant yesterday,” Brian said after a few moments, letting his hands fall down to rest on his knees. “How do you know it was yesterday?” Justin asked, squatting down so he was at Brianīs eye level. “Because whoever she was there with was reading the paper, and I recognized the front page,” he answered with a smile. “And thatīs not all,” he continued, “I know which restaurant they went to, and Iīm pretty sure Iīll recognize anything they touched, or at the very least, find the table they sat at!”