- Text Size +
Chapter Three- Treat Me Right.

Morning came and went just like that and for Alex it went far too slowly. He sat opposite her, staring intently down into his cereal bowl trying not to make eye contact with her.

“So will you come out tonight?” she asked, and took a sip of her coffee watching him as he managed to gulp down two spoonfuls of cornflakes. He wiped away the milk that had dribbled onto his chin with the back of his hand before gazing up at her and shrugging.

“I don’t think so,” he answered and clinked the spoon into the bowl before slowly standing up.

“Come on,” she said and reached out to grab his wrist. He winced as her nails dug into his skin. “You know you want to.” She smiled up at him, and he reached over, unwrapping her fingers from his wrist and sighing heavily.

“Fine,” he gave in and rubbed on the skin where her fingernails had left bright red marks, almost blending in with the tattoo. “What time?”

“Seven,” she said and leaned back in her chair, raising her left leg up, exposing the skin between her thighs. “So be here by six.”

“Okay,” he nodded but knew she wanted him there by five so she could screw with him, he wondered why he gave into her all the time. “I’ll be here.”

“I know you will,” she smirked at him and placed her hand on the table, waiting for him to respond. He grunted and tugged on his jacket.

“I gotta get to work. See you at six,” he said and turned to leave, knowing that for once he probably would make it there at six instead of five.


“Come on,” she muttered under her breath and rested her head against the steering wheel in frustration before allowing her hand to turn the key in the ignition once more. “Come on God damit.”

She waited for a few moments, but the car made no noise, not even a squeak. She sighed in frustration and pulled the key out of the ignition, leaning her head back against the seat for a moment.

“Fine,” she told the car and reached over to pull the door open, “I guess I’ll be taking the bus, again.”

She opened the door fully and stepped out of the car, grabbing her brown canvas bag as she did so and closed the door behind her. She locked the car and readjusted the strap on her shoulder.

The car was a beat down old red Camero that was given to her by her father, passed on to him by his father. It wasn’t much but at least it was something, even though it didn’t work half the time.

She sighed and redid her ponytail before beginning the long walk to the bus stop that was a few blocks away. It was a cold day, colder than it usually was at this time of year, and as the wind blew it caused her to pull her jacket closer to her body and take in a deep breath.

It was long before the sound of her feet on the gravel was mixed with the sound of tyres running a meter or so behind her. She slowed her walk down as the car pulled up beside her, and slowly pulled to a stop.

“Brit baby get in the car.” She rolled her eyes at the sound of his voice and stopped walking, turning to face his silver Porche that had been parked up beside her beat down red Camero.

“Why?” she asked, wondering why all of a sudden he was feeling so generous because he never offered her a ride to work, she placed her hands on her hips and waited for an answer.

“Because we still need to talk,” he replied and leaned a bit more out the window to get a better view of her.

“About what?” she wanted to know and pulled up the strap of her bag, “We’ve talked enough for today.”

“How can you say that?” he asked, he was faking hurt in his voice and she shook her head.

“Because a few minutes ago you were telling me how you were done talking,” she retorted and gave him a cold glare. “Now if you don’t mind I need to go or else I’ll miss my bus.” She turned around and began walking down the hill to her bus stop, causing Zeke to re-start his car and follow behind her slowly.

“Get in the car Britney,” he called, rolling down his window slightly so she could hear him better, she continued walking, not turning to face him.

“No Zeke,” she replied, but as she did so she heard the sound of a bus in the distance as her bus pulled up to the curb then pulled away again. She groaned inwardly, but continued walking.

“Look,” Zeke reasoned, also hearing the bus pulling away, “You’ve already missed your bus and if you wait for the next one you’re gonna be late. So why don’t you…” She stopped half way down the hill and sighed, pushing her hair off her face before speaking.

“Fine,” she gave in and waited for him to pull the car to a stop beside her before climbing in, figuring she would rather endure the twenty minute drive to work with Zeke then be late again. He smiled at her as she strapped her self in, and reached over to touch her leg gently, not noticing when she flinched ever so slightly.

"So..." he began and she knew he didn't know what to say. She smiled wearily and pushed his hand off her knee gently before gazing out the window. "Something wrong?"

She sighed deeply and turned to face him, "Don't ask me that. You know what's wrong."

"Look I know you don't want to change the date but..." he began but she cut him off, shaking her head.

"No it's fine," she gave in and placed her bag on the floor, "It's just a lot to ask from you."

"I'm really sorry," Zeke replied and she eyed him suspiciously, wondering if he meant it. "It's just that you know what the firm is like, they don't want to give me the time off for the honeymoon so I thought it's be better if we changed the date so we could actually go on a honeymoon."

"But I thought you got a promotion," Britney pointed out, catching him off guard. "I thought you were the new CEO which means you can take time off whenever you want. Isn't that what you said last night?"

"Yes..." he began slowly trying to retrace his steps, "But there's a new project coming up that needs my total supervision. I can't just up and leave baby. You know that."

"Is your job more important Zeke?" she asked finally getting tired of him talking in circles trying to avoid the real issue, "Am I just a trophy wife you can show of to the boys?"

"What?" he asked in shock, clearly not understanding why she was coming to the conclusions she was. "Of course not, what ever gave you that crazy idea?"

"It's not a crazy idea Zeke," she replied quietly and looked back out the window to avoid his gaze, "I just feel that sometimes..."

"I know and I'm sorry," he said as they pulled up to a stop light, he reached over and placed a hand under her chin causing her to look at him, "I've just been real busy with work that's all. I didn't think it was affecting you."

"Well it is," she told him and he gave her a sad smile.

"Well I promise to make sure I notice more often," he lied and kissed her lightly on the forehead. She sighed as he turned back to focus on the road, knowing he didn't really mean what he said.

They sat in silence for a while, and about fifteen minutes later they pulled up in front of the small coffee shop where Britney worked. Zeke pulled the car to a stop, and as soon as he did Britney opened the door and unbuckled her seatbelt.

"Late again," she sighed and clambered out of the car as Zeke reached across and grabbed her hand causing her to look at him.

"So I'll see you tonight?" Zeke asked her, and she
sighed with a shrug.

"I guess," she said and retrieved her bag before pulling away from him and heading towards the shop. She reached the doors and reached over to open them, as she did so they opened and a familiar face stepped out. Soy milk Latté in hand.

"Hey," he smiled at her as he noticed her standing there and she smiled back shyly at him.

"Hi," she replied but before she could say much more Zeke stepped up behind her, grasping her hand. The familiar stranger nodded, and held the door open for her. "Thanks."

"No problems," he nodded and watched as she took hold of the door so he could let go. He gave her one last smile before disappearing to his car and out of her sight. She sighed and turned back to Zeke.

"What Zeke?" she asked in frustration and glanced over her shoulder where she noticed Joey standing by the till glaring at her. "I'm late for work."

"I know," Zeke smiled and she rolled her eyes at him, "But you forgot something."

"What?" she asked hotly and he leaned towards her.

"My kiss," he stated simply and pecked her lips before quickly letting go of her hand and rushing back to his car to head to work. She sighed in frustration and shook her head, turning around and entering the shop. As she did so she noticed Joey's look and nodded in his direction, one more strike and she'd loose her job.


By six o'clock that night Alex was just about ready to go home and curl up in bed, but he remembered his promise to Taylor, and one thing about him was that he never broke his promises. He sighed as he pulled up outside her house, and rubbed his eyes sleepily, suppressing a yawn before climbing out of the vehicle.

He reached back into the backseat and pulled out his gray jacket and cell phone before closing the doors and locking the car. It wasn't long before he headed towards the main house, walking slowly, hoping it would somehow make the world stop spinning so he could come up with some excuse to leave early that evening.

As he reached the front door, no excuse came to mind and sighing heavily he knocked on the door before letting himself in.

"Taylor?" he called and placed his jacket on the hallway table that stood just two feet from the doorway.

"Alex," Taylor called before stepping out of one of the many doors that led off the hall. Alex felt his breath catch in his throat as she walked towards him, laden in a sapphire colored dress that reached just below her knees and hugged her body tightly. Her hair was held up in a bun, pinned back with opal flowers and she wore four inch silver heels to match. "You're on time."

"As always," he nodded and stepped forward with a fake smile. Taylor smirked back, and reached him, planting a rough kiss on his lips.

"Let's go then," she said and grabbed his hand. He looked at her, wondering why they were leaving so early.

"Now?" he asked, raising an eyebrow, "I just got here."

"I know," she pouted and looked up with him with puppy dog eyes, "But Kyla just called and said they were getting there early."

"Alright," Alex nodded, not really wanting to argue with her and allowed her to grab her jacket as he grabbed his before they left the house.


Britney would never forget that day, as she arrived home from her shift at the coffee shop something seemed to be different. It wasn't the way things were, as things were always different, it was the way she felt. She left her bag by the front door and walked into the kitchen, smelling nothing but the lemon air freshener Zeke insisted their maid used after vacuuming the apartment on her regular Tuesday visit.

She felt tired and helpless, after the way she had been treated by him that morning she wasn't ready to face him again. It had taken her a while to calm herself down, and when she did she was occupied again by the bustling of disappointed customers that she wasn't used to.

A red light flashed from the corner of her eye as she walked into the room, and she let out a sigh of relief, knowing she would be alone for most of the evening.

"Britney?" His raspy voice, as if he'd been drinking most of his day, filled the room. She felt herself wince. "Where the fuck are you? Every time I call you're not there. I call you at work and they say you're not there. I call you at home and all I get is this damn machine telling me the same thing. You want to talk but it's like you don't even want to listen. Well you know what? I don't want to listen either." CLICK.


Alex took one last sip of his drink and leaned back into his chair, this night was not going as he hoped. Taylor leaned her head back so her long hair fell lusciously over her back as she laughed at something one of her friends told her. He cringed and rolled his eyes, before putting down his glass and slowly standing up, catching her attention.

"Where are you going?" She asked, grabbing his wrist, causing him to wince as her nails dug into him. He pulled away from her slowly and grabbed the jacket behind him.

"I have to get up early," he lied and looked around the table. "Ladies."

"You don't have to go," she told him, but it was more of an order than a request. He shook his head and leaned in to whisper in her ear.

"Yeah I do," he said and shrugged on his jacket. "I don't think this is working."

"But.." she began and quickly recomposed herself as her friends looked at her questionably. "I don't think so either."

"Ok," he nodded and stood up straight, "You sure?"

"Yeah," she replied notchantly and flipped a strand of hair behind her shoulder before going back to talk to her friends. He shrugged and shook his head, shoving his hands into his pockets before slowly turning around and walking away from her for good.


Britney picked up the phone and tried the number again, but it was engaged. She sighed and hung up. She picked up her blue and red purse from the counter before moving slowly into the bedroom, but before she made it fully into the room the phone rang again. She dropped the bag back onto the bed and ran back to get it, but was just a bit too late as it went to voice mail.

"Britney!" Zeke sounded mad, and she cringed. "What the fuck? Stop calling me if you have nothing to say." CLICK.

She sighed and wanted to slam her fist into something but restrained herself, instead she walked over to the fridge and pulled out an unopened bottle of red grape merlot that lay eagerly for her in the fridge.


“So I hear congratulations are in order?” Alex looked up from his laptop and groaned. Howie grinned back at him from his post by the door before making his way into the office.

“How did you find out?” Alex asked, although he already sort of guessed.

“I have my sources,” Howie responded wiggling his eyebrows and sitting down opposite Alex on the vacant chair opposite. “So are we celebrating tonight or what?”

“Or what,” Alex answered and went back to typing up the proposal he was making for the new partners. “I have a hell of a lot of work to catch up on man. Maybe this weekend?”

“Man I don’t get it,” Howie laughed and slapped his hand on the table gently. “You’ve been telling me for ages you can’t stand the girl and when you finally do dump her ass you don’t want to celebrate? What’s up with that?”

“Nothing is up with that,” Alex answered and looked back up at his friend. “Like I said; I just have a lot of work to catch up on.”

“Fine,” Howie grumbled but there was a smile to his voice as he said it, “We’ll celebrate this weekend ok?”

“Fine,” Alex muttered and watched his friend stand up. He didn’t know why but ever since last night he’d had this sinking feeling in his stomach; like he was empty. He knew it was a good thing that Taylor was out of his life but then that meant he had to go back to what he’d been doing before she came into his life; and that was something he wasn’t looking forward to. “Hey D?”

“Yeah?” Howie asked and stopped by the door as he was about to exit.

“About that celebration…” Alex began but Howie cut
him off.

“I’ll be over at your place tonight at eight,” Howie smiled, knowing his friend all to well.

“Thanks,” he answered sheepishly with a smile and Howie laughed before running out of the room for his meeting that was supposed to start five minutes before.


“You’re late!” Joey hollered as Britney skidded into the shop a few minutes past eight. She gave him a sheepish grin and quickly headed to the back to slip on her apron.

“I know,” she called back to him and winced as the head ache from that morning invaded her thoughts. She was never drinking again on a work night.

“What happened Brit?” Joey asked as she pulled on her apron and he looked on from the doorway to the backroom. Britney sighed and shook her head.

“Nothing. Just the same problem,” she muttered and pulled her hair into a tight bun before walking over to him.

“Zeke?” Joey asked and his face went red with anger. Britney smiled and placed a hand on her boss’ shoulder as she walked past him.

“No,” she lied, “The car wouldn’t start. I need to take it to the shop this weekend.”

“You sure?” Joey asked and raised an eyebrow as she walked past him and got to work. She nodded absentmindedly as she pulled down the orders that were piling up.

“Yeah. Positive,” she answered and pulled out a large sized cup from the stack to begin her first drink of the day. “I promise as soon as it’s sorted I won’t be late anymore.” She flashed him a dazzling smile and looked up at the clock.

“Good,” Joey nodded and looked up at the clock as well. Britney blushed and went back to work; noticing as she did so there was no order for a soy milk latté.


Alex hadn’t had his regular soy milk latté that day and it was beginning to show. His secretary, Emily, looked up at him fearfully as stormed past her after his morning meeting.

“Everything alright Alex?” she asked; still a bit fearful as he gave her an angry glare.

“Yeah,” he snapped and stalked past her into his office. He walked into the small room and threw his keys on the desk; letting out a frustrated sigh. “God damn her.”

“God damn who?” Alex looked up and shook his head. Howie had appeared in the doorway and was looking at his friend worriedly.

“Taylor,” he muttered and sat down in the nearest chair. “How did your meeting go?”

“It went,” Howie replied and moved into the room. “What did the wench do now?” Alex flinched at the reference but just shook his head.

“She called during the meeting,” he answered.

“The big meeting with the boss?” Howie asked; obviously shocked. Alex nodded his head and looked at his friend. “Damn.”

“Yeah. Luckily I didn’t get fired,” he muttered and ran a hand over his face before taking in a deep breath. “She wants to get back together.”

“Okay,” Howie nodded and Alex felt something tug at his sleeve. “Get up we’re going to lunch. I’ll tell Emily.”


Britney looked up as the bell above the door clinked and felt her breath catch in her throat as he walked in; accompanied by a shorter man.

“Howie!” Emmy’s voice called from beside her and she looked at her friend. “What are you doing here? I thought you said you had to work?”

“I did but we had an emergency,” the shorter friend, Howie, replied walking over to the till. Britney noticed Emmy grin as she slipped under the counter to get to the other side and greet the man.

“What kind of emergency?” Emmy asked with a giggle as Howie let go of his friend and slipped an arm around her waist, giving her a quick peck on the lips.

“One that needs your famous chicken soup,” he winked at her, “We’ll be over there.”

“Ok,” Emmy nodded and looked at his friend. “Is that two chicken soups or…”

“Yeah two,” Howie nodded, “Thanks.”

“No problem,” Emmy smiled and climbed back under the counter to get to the till; punching in the order as Howie moved away with his friend.

“What the hell was that?” Britney asked once the two men were once out of ear shot and she stood close enough to whisper in Emmy’s ear.

“Who that?” Emmy giggled and looked in Howie’s direction. “That is Howie. We met last week at this party…”

“And he knows soy milk latté guy?” Britney interrupted and Emmy gasped; putting a hand over her mouth in shock.

“Oh my god it is him!” she said and looked at Britney in shock. “I guess they must work together or something.”

“Yeah I guess,” Britney agreed as Emmy passed her an order for another drink. “I wonder what the emergency was.”


“Who the hell is that?” Alex asked; looking at Howie then back over to the till.

“That?” Howie asked following his gaze, “That is none of your God damn business.”

“Aw come on man!” Alex sighed and shook his head. “That’s not fair. I tell you all about my fleeting love life and you won’t even give me one clue to yours? Come on now.”

“Fine,” Howie grinned and stole a glance in the other direction. “Her name is Emmy.”

“Go on,” Alex encouraged and Howie shook his head; not wanting to divulge that information to anyone just yet. Not even his best friend. “D…”

“Fine,” Howie said giving in, “And she’s a nice girl I met at this party last week in the Village. Happy?” Alex nodded and Howie groaned. “Good, now let’s get back to the issue at hand…”

“There is no issue,” Alex replied automatically and Howie rolled his eyes.

“Sure there isn’t. Taylor just called n the middle of an important meeting to get back with you,” Howie replied sarcastically and Alex sighed.

“Yeah and I told her to get lost,” Alex replied crossing his arms over his chest. “I’m not that stupid.”

“Well…” Howie began but there conversation was cut short as two steaming hot bowls of chicken soup were placed in front of them and Alex smiled; thankful for the distraction.