- Text Size +
CHAPTER 11
“May I sit here?”
“Park it cowboy.”
“You know Rachel, I heard you talkin’ to Wyatt this afternoon.” I sighed but smiled at Howie. “I’m just sorry that it happened.”
“It’s in the past, right? I have to think about my life now and only now.”
“Right.”
“You gonna tell me what you do?” He took a deep breath and smiled.
“Just some ridin’ through town.”
“Been here a while for that.”
“I like the town.”
“I think you like more than the town.”
“I like you.”
“I like you too. You have your moments at least.” He laughed and turned his attention back to the horizon.
“Every think about leavin’?”
“Leavin’ the town or my business?”
“Both I guess.”
“Leavin’ the business, it’s hard. I have to make a livin’ some how and for a woman, this is it. Here in town, no man wants me. They all know what I do, what I’ve done. Some odd reason, the men here have a strange code about themselves. As for the town, I like Tombstone. It’s a quiet little town and even though there’s hardly any law, I still love it. Why you askin’ cowboy?” He shrugged but turned his attention back to me. I smiled at him.
“Just askin’. Wonderin’, I suppose.”
“Somethin’ on your mind.”
“Yeah. I’ll be honest. I was sent to Tombstone to do a job ma’am.”
“I’m takin’ a guess, but somethin’ to do with the Cowboys.”
“How did you know?”
“You askin’ about them and you dislike them. Don’t take a genius to figure somethin’ is up.”
“You’re right. But, I don’t think I was supposed to meet you and fall under your spell.” I shrugged this time and grabbed his hand.
“Trust me cowboy, you ain’t the only one.” He smiled as I yanked him up and led him to my room.

“God damn it Rachel, open this fuckin’ door right now.” I yawned and shoved against the chest I was laying upon.
“Hold on, Annie.” I removed myself from his arms and grabbed my robe. I yanked the door open, tying the sash around my waist. “What is wrong?”
“We have trouble. Lots of trouble.” I frowned and shook my head.
“Trouble with who?”
“The Cowboys have called out the Earps. They’re waitin’ for the law men at the O.K. Corral.”
“They mean to fight them. The Cowboys won’t win.”
“We know that but them boys don’t.”
“Who’s all callin’ them out?”
“Ike, Billy.”
“Bill or Johnny?”
“Last I heard no, but I don’t know.”
“Go down, talk some sense into those men. I’m gonna find Wyatt and try to get to him. And send someone to Ringo, tell him he needs to stop actin’ so damn immature.”
“Yes Rachel.” I sighed and closed the door as she left.
“Trouble?”
“As always.” I yanked off my robe and pulled my dress on. I sighed yet again and shook me head, letting Howie button up my dress.
“Wanna talk.”
“Don’t have time to talk. Listen, just stay here, I gotta stop somethin’ before anythin’ happens. And please don’t get into trouble.” I softly kissed his lips and walked out of my room, yanking my boots on as I left. Howie walked downstairs, seeing Kevin and Brian sitting at the kitchen table.
“Send Nick and Alex to round up the Cowboys at the O.K. Corral. And we’ll go find Ringo. I’m sending them out today.”
“Rachel gonna know.”
“Like they don’t know already?”
“I swear, I didn’t say a word Howie.”
“I know you didn’t Kevin. But I know the others did. I was about too last night, just didn’t have the heart to.”
“Of course, not with the way she was…” Howie glared at Kevin and Brian laughed.
“Let’s head out.”

I ran along the walk away and stood outside the jail.
“Ya’ll are gonna either get yourselves killed or hurt. Stop this.”
“They’re breakin’ the law Rachel.”
“I know that Virgil. You think I don’t. But I know those men. They’re serious and they’re out for blood, ya’lls blood.”
“Rachel, this ain’t got nothin’ to do with you.”
“It has everythin’ to do with me Wyatt. You and Doc are amongst my best friends. And the same for Virg and Morgan. You think I’m just gonna lay low and let them hurt you?”
“You don’t have a choice woman.”
“Wyatt, please, I’m askin’ you not to do this.”
“Rachel, go on and leave. We have to arrest them.”
“You think just cause I’m a woman I have no brain to understand just how badly this will go down, but I know. You’re askin’ for Hell gentleman. And when it comes, don’t say nothin’ to me. I’m warnin’ ya’ll just this once.”
“Rachel, darlin’, leave.” I glared at Doc one last time and stormed right back down the street. I waved to Jane as she ran over to me, grabbing my arm.
“We gotta reach Ringo, tell him to get his men and leave.”
“He won’t go.”
“He will if I beg.”
“Rachel, we have to talk.” I stopped dead in my tracks as I stared at Howie, Kevin and Brian holding Billy and Johnny in custody.
“What is goin’ on?”
“We’re bringin’ them to our boss.”
“Which is who?” I demanded out of Howie.
“The President of the United States.”
“That means…”
“They’re U.S. Marshals.” I glared at Howie.
“I swear I was gonna tell you.”
“Just when? After you fucked me or before?” I turned on my heel and left him standin’ there. “Round up the girls.”
“Rachel, I swear, I was gonna say…”
“Round up the girls Jane. If the Cowboys hurt my friends today, I’m goin’ after them. And I will either do it with or without your help.”
“Yes ma’am.”