- Text Size +
CHAPTER13
“What do you mean she’s pregnant?”
“Darlin’, Jane, I’m sure you had yourself some pleasure?” The crimson touch to her cheeks proved Annie was right. “And I’m sure for just a few moments; you threw caution into the wind?”
“So, what are we goin’ do?”
“I have no clue Christina.”
“The Cowboys are after our asses. I’m not about to let my best friend die with that poor, helpless babe inside her.”
“No one wants that Mary. But what do we do?”
“We fight back,” I said, walking into the kitchen. “The Cowboys wanna think they can easily get us, let them try. But, accordin’ to my calculations, they’re in Shakesphere, New Mexico right now. And they won’t come lookin’ for us for quite a while. We’re not helpless females, never have been.”
“But the baby, Rachel..”
“Is my problem Jane. I’ll be fine. You in?”
“Of course.”
“First thing first, we’re all writin’ some love letters. Tell them what we plan to do and let them know just how much they are loved.

She looked at the endless black sky and sighed. ‘Where to begin?’ She placed the quill on the paper and soon her heart flowed free…

My Dearest Nick,
You have proved to me so very much. Showed me that a woman should be treasured, should be loved. And you loved me. You took all my faults in hand and loved me. You didn’t try to change me, didn’t want to change me. And above all, you understood me. And for that, you shall forever have my heart.
I’m letting you know this now because I’m not sure I’ll ever see you again. Though, you dance in my mind all the time. The Cowboys are out to find us, kill us, because we helped some U.S. Marshals. I don’t regret any part of my life, except letting you go. When you read this, I’m probably already gone, but believe me when I say that I won’t go without a fight. And I ask you remember one thing only Nick, to remember I love you, now and forever.
Your Dearest,
Mary

She placed the letter on her dresser and blew the candle out, letting the room bathe in the darkness.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
She tapped her nails on her desk, her eyes fixed on her wall. She replayed the images of that precious night in her mind, her thoughts finally forming.

My Darlin’ Alex,
I suppose this is something new for you to receive, if you get it. From the start, we have known something was special about one another and with that, we understood each other. I have replayed, in my mind, the things we did and the words we spoke. I have lost so much in my life, including a love that will never die. Oh, Alex, it pains me to say that, but it’s so true.
The Cowboys, the evil men we entertained, are out for our blood. But have faith, for one of you once said we had more strength than noted and that is true. We’re going to fight back to protect our lives. But I can’t promise we can survive. If by chance I don’t Alex, know that I never stopped loving you. Will never stop loving you. I will be yours and only yours.
Your Darlin’
Christina

She dropped her head on her arms and sighed, letting the tears flow down her cheeks and landing on the paper.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
She closed her eyes and smiled to herself, the candlelight playing off her face. She laughed a little and nodded her head.

My Lovin’ Kevin,
Oh, that night, that sweet night. I can still feel your hands caressing my body. Still hear the sound of your voice as you spoke so very softly to me. And yet I miss it. The first time I missed a man’s touch. If you came back and asked me to leave with you, I would Kevin, I would. But, if you’re reading this, I do believe you won’t ask me. As you will hear soon, if you don’t know that is, the Cowboys thought they would help themselves, since someone had to pay for the evil injustice.
And we were the first target. The rumors flew over the towns and finally came to us, saying they wanted our blood. I’m telling you this because you know me in every sense, I fought, with my dying breath, I fought. I’m fighting to be with you, but I know I won’t win. Oh, how much I love you Kevin. I wish I had told you, wished I hadn’t waited to long to let you know. If you ever loved me, even a little, remember that we’ll be together soon.
Your Loving,
Annie

She walked over to her window, her eyes taking in the town of Tombstone and wondering just where they could hide themselves in the mean time.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
She sat down on the back porch and softly rocked herself in the chair. She lifted the book that held the paper and sighed. She opened it and for a few moments, stared at the blank paper.

My Only Brian,
I’m sitting here, on the back porch, remembering the first time we talked. Such a sweet voice, a sweet voice that loved me until the breaking dawn. Lord knows we need more men like you in this world we know. I choose not to recall too much about my past, but you’re all I can think of. Even you face can haunt my dreams. Your sweet and tender words are all I seem to hear. And I know, deep within, that with my dying breath, that’s all I’m going to know.
As I’m sure you will soon find out, The Cowboys are out for us. They think we have wronged them, but we know we didn’t. The Wild Gals just wished to make themselves known for something good, not something bad. Alas my love, I’m sorry to say, but I love you, now and forever.
You’re Only One,
Jane

She sighed and turned her attention back to the stars. She smiled as one darted across the night sky. Taking a small breath, she made her wish.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
I sat down at the piano and gazed down at the ivory keys. What memories we had in this wonderful place. I smiled to myself and thought about the up coming days.

My Sweetest Howie,
How do I tell you what I know? What I feel? For so long I have learned to hide my feelings or at least not have them. And you waltzed into my life, turning my world upside down. Not even my late husband did that. I suppose to most ladies that would be a sign. To me, I’m not quite sure what to make of it. Just know it’s rather hard for me to express what I’m feeling for someone like you. I mean someone who I should hate for the pain you have caused. Pain you probably didn’t know you had. Oh, sweet Howie, I can’t explain in a letter, but I’m not all too sure you will ever understand. I can’t begin to tell you how sweet you made my days here. And I do love you.
You know we won’t back down and we won’t die without our fight. I suppose now is the right time to say goodbye love. And to ask you always remember us. And yes, somewhere in this world, is your daughter or son, look for it love.
Your Sweet Love,
Rachel

I placed my hands on the keys and played a few sad notes and than hummed a song. A children’s song. I hung my head and let out a deep breath. If they only knew.

I leaned against the porch railing and watched as the people walked by, the ladies with their umbrella’s blocking out the hot sun.
“Good day,” the gentleman would say and the ladies would slap their arms. I slowly drew the fan back and forth, letting the cool air cool me down.
“Funny, ain’t they? Poor ladies won’t even look at us.” I glanced at the younger girl and smiled. “These months are drifting by so slow.”
“No one wants us anymore. Hell, I’m not sure I want to do this anymore.”
“You?” I took a sip of my drink and laughed.
“Yes, me. Being pregnant does that, I suppose. It’s surprisin’. Though, Howard may never know about it.”
“You wrote it in the letter. Not the same as tellin’ him though.”
“Ladies.” I turned my attention back to the young man standing in front of me. I smiled and nodded my head. “I’m to deliver a message to a Ms. Rachel.”
“I’m Rachel.”
“The Cowboys are back ma’am and I’ve been sent to forewarn you, Ike will come for you.” I held my breath for a few moments and slowly nodded my head.
“Thank you, sir.” I sat down and stared down the road, praying that the man would not come walking down it.
“One last chance to leave?” I turned around to Annie and frowned.
“I have never run away from a fight and I’m not startin’ now.”
“Than we shall have to protect you.”
“Friends till the end. A promise made so long ago. If it’s a fight that Ike wants, than it’s a fight he’s gonna get. Make sure we have the guns ready. And pack up the house as best you can. We’re movin’ to the house in the back.”