- Text Size +
CHAPTER 2
“Darlin’ you better wake up.” I opened one eye and stared at the woman in front of me. I glanced at her boots, laced up to the ankle, the fish net stockings running up her legs, the dress that swirled around her knees, the top that pushed her breasts even higher, than the pale face with a touch of make up. “Darlin’ you okay?” I pushed myself up off the floor and glanced around the room, the soft light coming from the small lamp.
“It looks good on you Megan.”
“Darlin’ who’s Megan?” I glanced at her and than glanced down at myself. “Rachel, you okay hon?”
“Who’s Rachel?”
“Why, you are. Jane, hon, come in here. Rachel don’t look so good.” I brushed my fingers through my hair and saw another lady walk into the room, her brown hair pulled back slightly and some feathers tucked in there.
“Mary, what’s going on?”
“Rachel here don’t feel good. Saying something about a Megan.” Jane walked over and I backed away from her. She frowned and shoved me on the bed.
“I think you need to lay down tonight and not bother working. Those men will be back hon.”
“What men?”
“Why the Cowboys of course. I’m sure Mr. Johnny Ringo can wait for you hon.” The Johnny Ringo, I asked myself. I closed my eyes and groaned. For some odd reason, I knew I wasn’t in the year 2002 anymore. I shook my head and laughed to myself. Didn’t I tell this to Terri, that it could be possible? “Let me get Annie, she honestly don’t look good. She’s very pale Mary.”
“I noticed. Annie, sister, please come here.” I opened my eyes and dared to glance at the door, seeing the pretty blonde waltz right in, her small robe barely hiding her.
“What’s going on now?”
“Rachel don’t feel good.” Annie walked over and sat down on the bed, her hand softly touching my forehead. She smiled down at me.
“You feel fine hon. You don’t look good, but nothing that some make up won’t handle. Just think, those fine young cowboys are gonna walk up into this hotel and demand you. Well, we all know which one anyway.” I felt myself blush and bite my lip. Wild Gals, gotta remember who Rachel was and what she did. I shivered and closed my eyes. In the future, or persent…I stopped my train of thought and sighed. Just where the fuck was I?
“Um, Annie, hon, what year is it?” She frowned at me and shook her head.
“Did she hit her head?” Mary shook her head. “It’s 1880 darlin’.” Okay, the present I suppose. She sold her body for money. She sold her body…I covered my mouth and swallowed back whatever was coming up. “You are sick.”
“No, just, I remembered what I do, did, are doing.”
“You mean, you forgot what you did for a livin’?” I glanced at the woman named Jane and nodded my head. “Why, you’re what Tombstone calls a Soiled Dove. You sell yourself for money. Honest enough way of livin’. Since there’s no real jobs out there for women.”
“Of course, not in this time anyway.”
“Not in any time. What you tellin’ us. That sometime in the future, there’s gonna be jobs for woman?” Annie asked, a smile forming her face.
“Yes, there is actually.”
“What on Earth are you talkin’ about darlin’? This is a man’s world. They do the providin’ in life. Well, if you’re ever lucky enough to land yourself a man.” I smiled and nodded my head. ‘Right. This is the Old West, well, the New West, oh hell, it’s just the west,’ my mind told me.
“Look, ladies, I think I’m gonna sleep before I do anything tonight.”
“Might be wise darlin’, just might be wise.” They all smiled and walked out the room, closing the door behind them. “That wasn’t Rachel. I don’t know who that is, but that ain’t our friend.”
“Annie, that has to be her.”
“I’m tellin’ you, sister, it ain’t her. I have no pissin’ clue who that is, but I’ll be damned if that’s our Rachel. Now, Jane, Mary, go finish getting ready. The Cowboys are probably drunk enough to come at any moment.” Annie sighed and walked down to her room, closing the door quietly behind her. She glanced out the window, watching the moon play across the sand.

I awoke to someone knocking on the door. I groaned and rolled back underneath the covers, wishing the person would just go away.
“Rachel.” I sighed, flung the covers back and walked over to the door, opening it to see a young man standing there. “Let me in.” I glanced at him, than out to the hall, hearing that faint laughter. I sighed, but moved aside. “The other girls told me you didn’t seem yourself. And you don’t certainly look like yourself.”
“Just what do you mean? I look perfectly like myself. Just don’t feel like myself.” He shook his head but sat down on the chair by the desk. I glanced it and frowned, wondering when that came.
“Lay down hon.” I shot him a look and he rolled his eyes. “I’m not gonna sleep with you when you feel bad. Sides, we’ll be in town quite a while.” I nodded my head and crawled back into bed, sensing him following me. I tried to pull the covers up, yet he grabbed them. I cringed as I felt the bed move and him slide against me, his arm holding me against his body. “I’m not gonna let them think I just left and not did anything to you.” I stiffened in his arms. “Though I’m not woman. You have my word.” I tried to recall if Johnny was ever nice, though I couldn’t. Just knew he was smart, and fast with his gun. His hand traveled up and cupped one breast. I gasped as I felt his hand close around it, yet he just stated again, he wouldn’t do anything. I forced myself to stop acting like a young virgin and gave into the sleep that was once again, claiming me.