- Text Size +
CHAPTER 3
I rolled myself out of the bed and gazed at the sunlight streaming into the room. I glanced around, feeling the problem coming back to haunt me. I was stuck in 1880 and not a friend. Well, if you could count the Wild Gals, but I hardly knew them! I rolled my eyes and got out of bed, pulling a robe on. I opened the door and saw Annie coming out of her room, an odd expression on her face.
“What’s wrong?”
“I just had a dream hon. Rather strange one. Did Ringo go up to see you last night?”
“Yes he did actually.”
“Did he do anything to you darlin’?”
“No Annie. He just slept with me.”
“Yeah, Ringo.” She snorted and rolled her eyes. “He ain’t that type of man.” I followed her down the stairs and into the kitchen, smiling as Jane got a cup of coffee.
“Feelin’ better Rachel hon?”
“Yes, quite, thank you.”
“You look better. Good thing Ringo didn’t touch you last night.”
“How…”
“He was the first to leave this morning.”
“Right.” I sat down in the chair and looked out the window.
"Christina should be right down darlin’. Rachel?" I tore my gaze from the desert and smiled at Jane. "Christina should be right down. Remember you were supposed to meet up with her to go to the drug store." I took a sip of the coffee and frowned.
"For what?"
"Vinegar darlin’. We’re almost out."
"And why do we need vinegar?" Annie cast me a look and Jane just shook her head.
"So we don’t get pregnant. Did you forget the tricks of the trade?" I shook my head, hiding my frown behind my coffee cup. "Anyway, she’ll be right down, so you might want to change."
"Of course." I sat my cup down on the table and turned to leave the room.
"Who is that?" Annie shook her head at the simple question, her dream still plaguing her. "Annie?" Her head snapped up, yet the eyes that locked with Jane’s were not the same. "You need to lay down as well hon. You look just as pale as Rachel did yesterday."
"Thanks darlin’." Annie rolled her eyes, but took her leave. ‘It wasn’t just the dream, I don’t feel like myself at all. And Rachel, looks more like Theresa.’ Annie stopped right before Rachel’s door and knocked softly. At the answer, she walked in. I turned and smiled at her, trying to wiggle my way into the dress. "A corset might be helpful."
"Oh, yes, thanks." I watched Annie as she stepped into the room.
"When you were on the floor, did you have a dream?"
"Like what type of dream?"
"Like your body wasn’t your body anymore. Like you just didn’t feel like yourself anymore?" I watched her, her eyes pleading with mine.
"You’re not Annie anymore. It’s quite plain. And if I didn’t know any better, I would almost say you were a young lady I used to know by the name of Terri." Her eyes perked up and I smiled. So the same thing happened. "Help me finish getting dressed Ms. Annie. I need to meet up with Christina." She sat her cup on the desk and pulled the corset on, tying the strings and helping me with the gown. I smiled my thanks, slipped the boots on and left my room.

"Rachel?" Annie turned around and glanced at Mary. "Oh, hi Annie. Did Rachel already leave?"
"Just a few minutes ago hon. Heard the front door close. What’s wrong darlin’?"
"Nothing of course." Annie gazed at her younger sister, her eyes locking with hers. "You don’t look the same Annie."
"And neither do you Mary. In fact, you look like…”
"As do you." They both sighed, feeling different yet the same. "Maybe Rachel feels the same way?"
"Could just be. But I’m still tired so I think I’m gonna head back to that nice warm bed I left this morning."
"Did he pay you finally?"
"Damn piss ant that he is. Yes, paid me the 100 dollar that owes me. He wasn’t happy, but he had the money. Just got done robbin’ some old fool." Annie smiled, flicked a wink at her younger sister and left, a smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.

“Good morin’ Ms. Christina, Ms. Rachel.”
“Mornin’ Mr. Jacob.”
“You ladies off to the drug store?”
“Yes sir. Quite a lovely day, huh Mr. Jacob?”
“Yes ma’am it surely is. Ya know, I have a small question for ya’ll. How is that such lovely young belles such as yourselves are in that there business? Why, I’m almost certain ya’ll could land any man you wanted.” Christina laughed and I simply smiled.
“Here in Tombstone Mr. Jacob, the men are either outlaws or lawmen. Neither one we choose to live with the rest of our lives. Sides, we’re women, forced to earn a living somehow or other at a tender age. Why, take me and my sisters, Annie and Mary. Our family died in a fire just a few years ago. None of us were old enough to get married, yet we had to live somehow. And Jane, innocent, young Jane. Why, her father is a cruel man. Drinks and gambles away all their money. She’s stuck workin’ like this to pay off his debts. As for sweet Rachel over there, why, her husband died, leavin’ behind no money for her. So, Mr. Jacob, we did the best thing we know how to do, become Soiled Doves.”
“And you’re the top of the town.” Christina smiled yet it left as a young female marched by, her nose caught up in the air.
“Ya know Mrs. Fellowstine, I’m sure if you got your little nose much farther up, something just might fly and land on it.”
“Why the nerve!”
“Don’t look down on us simply because we tend to please your husband more than you ever will. Good day Mrs. Fellowstine, Mr. Jacob,” I said, nodding my head toward the older man yet again. Christina slapped her fan open and covered her smile.
“That was plain mean Rachel.”
“Oh, but it’s simply the truth darlin’. That’s one woman I will gladly make mad.”
“Watch out for her though. Get her on that laudanum long enough, she’ll come causin’ trouble with that six shooter her husband has.”
“She can meet up with the rifle I have tucked away in my closet. We’ll see who can get the first shot off.” Christina smiled and walked into the drug store, purchasing the few items we needed.