- Text Size +
CHAPTER 7
“Jane?” She quickly turned around and smiled at Brian.
“Hey there mister.” He blushed and gazed up at the stars.
“Like it out here, don’t ya?” She shrugged but went on looking. He took the chance and looked her over, thinking that she would fit quite snug against his body. He took a breath and smiled at her. “The other girls, are they all older?”
“Yeah. Annie is the oldest by a year. Than Christina, followed by Rachel, than by Mary. Christina is a year younger, Rachel is about six months. Um, I believe Mary is about six months off from Rachel and I’m nine months exactly.”
“Not bad, a knit family.” She smiled at him and nodded her head. He took another breath. “Jane, how well do you know the Cowboys?” She shrugged but didn’t answer him. He waited for a few more moments before he touched her arm.
“Brian, what do you want me to tell you? Why are you, and every other man askin’ about them? They ain’t done nothin’ to ya’ll so, give, what’s goin’ on?”
“We said no questions.”
“And you told me you’d bear you’ll soul. So was that just a line sir?” Jane turned her attention to him and raised an eyebrow. He sighed and shook his head. “We ain’t gonna sell out some customers for some higher payin’ men. Keep that in mind sir.” She flicked her hair across her shoulder and marched back into the house, slamming the door behind her.

“I need to send a telegram.” The young man behind the desk nodded his head.
“Go on sir.”
“To the President’s secretary sir.” The young man only nodded his head and grabbed the pen and paper. “Say the job is proving to be rather hard and are sufferin’ some delays. Howie’.”
“No problem sir. That’s gonna be $4.50, sir.” Howie smiled and handed him the money. He walked out the doors and nodded at his men.
“Sent.”
“Why are they so tough to break?” Four pair of eyes turned and looked at Nick.
“My guess, they don’t trust anyone,” Alex said, catching his bottom lip between his teeth. “They know they’re in a business that’s rather difficult.”
“And anyone can come in and smoke them out, make them not trust anyone,” Brian added.
“You think they know anythin’ about these men?”
“They have to know somethin’ Nick. Those men are regulars.”
“Doesn’t really mean they know anythin’ though. I mean, you get a guy near a whore, what you think that man is thinkin’ about?”
“What’s buggin’ me is they ain’t sayin’ nothin’.”
“With all due understandin’ Kevin. We walked into that place askin’ for a hot meal and no questions. Yet we askin’ like all kinds. Surely, that’s got to get to them.” Kevin nodded his head, agreeing with what Brian had stated. Howie took in the small town, seeing a wagon pulling up and seeing a few actors getting out.
“What if we used them?” The four other heads turned and glanced at him, seeing his gaze and following it.
“What are you sayin’ Howie?”
“I mean Nick, what if we show them what true ladies they are. We all know we wouldn’t mind seeing them out of this business. But if we can prove we’re true gentlemen, they would trust us with any information.”
“And if they find out just how…”
“They won’t find out Kevin, they just can’t find out. But I remember someone mention that stage of actors was comin’, let’s treat them tonight.” The five guys finally agreed, yet reluctant.

I felt the small shawl removed from my shoulders and smiled back at Howie. He smiled and held the seat out for me.
“Thank you sir,” I said, claiming the seat.
“Welcome ma’am.”
“Well, hello there Ms. Rachel.” I turned around in my seat and saw a longtime old friend.
“Why, Doc Holliday. Just what are you doin’ in Tombstone?” I asked, holding out my hand. He took it and placed a gentle kiss on the back of it.
“Stayin’, seein’ if helps any.”
“Well, I can pray it does. Kate, lookin’ lovely darlin’.”
“Same for you honey.”
“Oh, how rude of me. Doc, Kate, you remember the girls, Annie, Jane, Mary, and Christina?” They nodded in turn and I smiled. “Let me introduce the rest of the members at this table. Howie, Kevin, Brian, Nick, and Alex. Formal guests of ours. Gentleman, a wonderful friend of mine and quite the fastest gun slinger, Doc Holliday and his woman, Kate.”
“Pleasure gentleman. I was goin’ to ask if I can meet you after the play. I have another old time friend I’m almost positive you would love to see again.”
“Wyatt is here?”
“I’m not sayin’ madam. Ladies, gentleman, enjoy the show. Goodbye Rachel.” He placed another kiss on the back of my hand and I smiled at him.
“How long have you known Doc?” I took a sip of the wine and thought for a moment.
“Damn seems like forever Nick. A good couple years. Doc was a man who hardly had any friends yet he befriended two men of the law. Wyatt Earp and my husband.”
“Your husband was a lawman?” I bite my lip but nodded my head. Too much had already slipped.
“Look, it’s startin’.” I smiled at Annie and turned my attention back to the stage, forgetting the brown eyes that were burning a whole in my head at the front of the stage, those ever deadly eyes of Johnny Ringo.

I placed my arm on the crook’s of Howie’s and walked out with the other partners.
“Look there, five lovely women Morgan.” I stopped and smiled at him.
“Wyatt Earp!” He bowed slightly and placed a kiss on my cheek.
“Lovely darlin’. Ladies.” He bowed to them as well, placing a kiss on each cheek.
“And Morgan. How are you doin’ darlin’?”
“Just fine ma’am.” I smiled and heard a soft voice clearing his throat.
“Piss ant, I’m dearly sorry Howie. Wyatt, let me introduce our friends. This is Howie. That’s Kevin with Annie. Um, Brian with Jane. Nick and Mary and Alex and Christina.”
“Pleasure.” He shook each hand in turned.
“Mr. Earp, just what are you doin’ here?” Annie asked, slowly fanning herself.
“Oh, making myself some money. Morgan and Virgil are goin’ be helpin’ of course.”
“Oh, the whole family is here,” Jane said, laughing a little.
“Wyatt, we have to go.”
“Of course. I’ll stop by later Rachel.” He placed another kiss on my cheek.
“Of course Wyatt.” I placed my arm back on Howie’s and smiled at him. But as I saw his eyes trial Wyatt, the smile faded. “Howie, you okay darlin’?” He glanced down at me.
“Just fine.”
“Let’s head back to the hotel, unless you fine gentleman have anything planned?” Christina asked, snapping her fan against Alex’s arm.
“None at all ma’am.”