- Text Size +
CHAPTER 8
“Somethin’ on your mind Howie?” Howie glanced up at the young lady and smiled.
“Not at all Jane. How are you ma’am?”
“Oh, I’m just fine. Thought I would come catch a breath of air. Bein’ inside all the time gets to be so damn stuffy.” Jane smiled and sat down on the porch chair.
“Jane, can I talk to you?”
“By all means sir.”
“How well do you know Rachel?”
“Pretty well. Us girls are like sisters of course.”
“Who was Rachel married to?” Jane tapped her nail against her chin and shook her head.
“I’m not all too sure actually. I don’t recall her ever tellin’ us.”
“You mean to tell me she worked with you all these years and never once mentioned her husband?”
“We often don’t talk about our past’s sir. It’s not like its private; we just choose to leave it there.”
“How well does she know Wyatt?”
“I do believe Mr. Howie that you are askin’ the wrong person these questions. If you want to find out about dear Rachel, ask Rachel. Don’t ask any of us. We often don’t sell out our fellow sister.”
“You’re not sellin’ her out. I fell ya’ll are in danger. We’re just tryin’ to protect to you.”
“Bounty hunters?”
“What?”
“Is that what ya’ll are, bounty hunters? Sorta, do whatever and whenever. Let the wind guide you?”
“Not…why yes, actually, that’s what we are.” Jane simply nodded her head and frowned.
“Surprisin’ I suppose, just why would you want to come to Tombstone? Very interestin’ indeed. If you’ll excuse me sir, I do recall I had a few things to do this afternoon.” Howie tipped his hat and smiled as she walked back inside.

“Annoyin’ little creatures gettin’ everywhere and under foot. I tell ya, if I could, I would shoot them. Piss ant rats.”
“Annie child, I swear you’re mind runs away sugar. It does its own thinkin’,” Christina said, laughing at the older woman.
“Jealous little thing aren’t ya? Upset ‘cause Ma always favored me.” Christina shot the nearest pillow at her sister.
“Now, I ain’t got no reason to be jealous. You might have been Ma’s favorite but Pa loved me and adored me.”
“Oh no he didn’t sister. Pa loved his son above all of us,” Mary added in. The ladies quieted down for a moment. “Do ya’ll miss them?”
“Sometimes.” Annie got up and walked over to the window, watching as the wind picked up some sand and let it ride its waves. “Being the oldest wasn’t always the nicest thing you know? I knew some truths that hurt.”
“Like what Annie?”
“Pa had a real bad drinkin’ problem when him and Ma first got married. Ya know Davy left because Pa used to abuse Davy and I? When he would come home drunk he would take his anger out on us, Ma hated it, but there wasn’t much she could do. It went on for a few months, the younger kids never seein’ it of course. And than the fire came. As horrible as it sounds, I wished for fire every night. Just to take Pa away, so I wouldn’t hurt. Ma had sold me though, sold me into this life. I had no choice but to take you little ones with me.” Annie bit her lip and shot a small smile toward the ladies. “I made a promise than and there, right on this porch step before I started it all. I promised I would never let anyone harm my family ever again. No man would ever hurt us, or they would live to pay for it.”

Kevin backed away from the door frame and glanced at Alex.
“What’s wrong?”
“Howie had a really bad idea.”
“The job needs to get done Kevin. Those girls are going to be the biggest help in getting Curly Bill and Johnny Ringo.”
“Let them hang them own selves. Ya know trouble is brewin’ with that gang of Cowboys and the Earps?”
“I heard, it’s the talk of the town.”
“Somethin’ is goin’ to go down; we’ll just be there to lend a helpin’ hand.”
“That could takes years and ya know Howie don’t want that Kevin.” Alex sighed and took his hat off. “Ya can’t think of them as ladies Kevin.”
“And think of them as what Alex? Whores?”
“It’s what they are.”
“But not by choice Alex. These women were pushed into fendin’ for themselves.”
“I know that.”
“Whatever happens, these women are strong, a lot stronger than what we’re given credit to.”
“And a lot smarter. Howie told ya what happened when he talked to Jane?”
“I don’t recall.”
“Blew him off. These ladies know we want somethin’ and know we’re going to get it.”
“And they want somethin’ in return.” Alex shrugged and smiled.
“Could just be a fair trade.” Kevin shot him a look.
“It ain’t no fair trade Alex and you damn well know that.”
“Ya just never know Kevin. Though, Tombstone might be a fine town to retire in. Lovely ladies.” Kevin laughed and shook his head.
“Let’s head out now.”

He watched as she drew the dress back into the water and scrubbed it down the board once again. He could only laugh to himself as she cussed out the dress.
“Wanna wash my shirt while you’re at it Mary?” Mary quickly whirled around and shot Nick a death look.
“I hate doin’ my own clothes, you want me to do yours?”
“It’s a woman’s job.” She planted her hands on hips and mimicked just what he said, making a face as well. “Did you want somethin’ to drink? I think someone just made some tea.”
“Thank you Nick, would be awful nice of you, but I’m fine. Just this one dress and I’m as good as done.”
“Did you want to do something tonight?”
“Like what?”
“I found a pretty little place a few miles out of town. Thought we might make a picnic for dinner.” Mary shook the dress out and glanced at Nick, seeing the smile tuggin’ at his lips.
“Just you and me?”
“Yes ma’am. You didn’t have to work tonight, did you?”
“I’m supposed to work every night as it goes.”
“I can…”
“Don’t even dare say those words Nick. There’s some men I’m allowed to be kind to. Sure you won’t get into trouble?”
“Never.” Mary walked over to him and shoved him down in the chair and sat on his lap, sliding her arm around his neck. She grabbed the hat and threw it on the ground.
“I have a question for you Nick.” He swallowed the lump in his throat and smiled.
“Yes ma’am.” Her lips found his cheek and placed a gentle kiss there. She slowly worked along his jaw till her lips were barely above his.
“Why are you so interested in me? What is that gang of boys you have?” Nick tried to focus on what she was saying but was losing the battle of his wits; with her on his lap and her body pressing against his.
“Nick!” Mary quickly pulled away and glared at Howie. “I do recall we have to work to do.”
“Yes sir. I was just talkin’.”
“Looked like you were doin’ more than talkin’. Hit it up Nick, we gotta ride.” Mary moved off his lap, offering her hand to help him up. He smiled as he placed a small kiss on the back.
“I’ll be back, so have dinner ready darlin’.” Mary smiled and nodded her head, watching him walk off.
“So very close.”
“Yes Annie, I was. Damn that Howie.” Mary smirked as she turned to Annie. “You know sister, if we want to find out information, I’m thinkin’ we’re gonna have to seduce these men. But we’re gonna have to make sure Howie is far away.”
“Sweet Mercy, Mary, such a devious mind you have.”
“Rachel darlin’!” Mary called.