- Text Size +
Brian made his way onto his bus with a million emotions running through his mind. He tried to paste a smile on his face and ignore the pain he felt in his heart. He stumbled into the bedroom and laid down beside Leighanne.

"Did you get the things I asked for?" She asked rolling over to look at her husband. She knew without asking that he had not done as she'd asked.

"No honey, I forgot my wallet on the bus." Brian mumbled into the pillow.

"Just what are you good for Brian if you can't do the simple things that I ask of you. I asked you to pick me up a few things from the gas station that I didn't have time to purchase before flying out here because you insisted on throwing a fit that I wasn't coming out here to spend my life on a bus. I asked you to do one thing and you can't even do that. You are worthless." She said venomly sitting up and crossing her arms over her chest.

Brian scooted closer and tried to smooth out the anger she felt by wrapping his arms closer around her.

"Get off of me Brian. I do not want your worthless hands touching me anymore."

Brian ignored her attempt to make him leave her alone and continued to try to hold her tightly. She pushed him once, but when that didn't sway him she slapped him hard across the face, leaving an angry red hand print. Brian fell back on the bed stunned. Leighanne had never hit him before. Her vengeful words had hurt him enough, but to have her physically strike him, now his face was throbbing in pain. She glared at him for a moment before she got up and left the bedroom, leaving him in a pitiful heap on the bed. He tried not to allow the tears to fall as he felt his cheek swell. He really couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that she was treating him this way. She was his wife, didn't she love him at least a little bit as much as he loved her, or at least tried hard to love her? Didn't she care at all? He slowly walked into the kitchen area of the bus where she sat calmly painting her nails at the kitchen table.

"Leigh, what's happening to us?" He managed to choke out. He quietly sat across from her.

"I don't know Brian, I just feel like you're not the same person you were when we got married. I'm not the same person I was when we got married either. I'm beginning to forget why I agreed to marry you in the first place. I don't feel the same way that I used to." She said sighing and avoiding looking at his face.

Brian felt sick. He literally felt like he could throw up. Why had she waited until now to tell him all of this? He was beginning to see the crumbling of his marriage for what it really was. As much as he loved her as a person, he didn't love her as he should his wife, and it was beginning to show in every action. She has unconsciously picked up on it and was having similar feelings as well. She wasn't happy in the cookie cutter life he had built for her; she wanted more, she wanted out. He looked at her for a moment and tried to remember why he himself had managed to convince himself that marrying her would fix everything that was wrong with his life. That was pretty impossible for him to do alone, but expecting her to fix it for him had been impossible from the beginning. She could only do so much, especially when she had no idea what she was fixing or protecting him from.

He sighed heavily causing her to look up at him. "I don't know what to do here Brian. I just have no clue how we're supposed to fix this. I feel like there is no way to move forward and I don't want to hurt you. I love you Brian, even if it's not in the way that I should as your wife. "She put down the fingernail polish and waved her hands to dry them.

"What do you want me to do?" Brian asked brokenly. He felt his heart heavy and his eyes tired. He regretted ever asking her to come on the road with him.

"I want out. I can't do this anymore Brian and either can you. Neither one of us is happy; we have spent the last two years proving that we can't make each other happy. I know your running from something Brian." She laid her hand over his clenched ones. He looked up at her with tears shining in his eyes. "You may never have said anything to me, but a wife knows Brian. There has been something eating at you since before we got married. For awhile I thought I could fix it, I thought I could fix you, but I can't Brian. I've tried and I'm tired. But whatever this is that keeps you this torn up all the time has to be faced Brian. You can't let this ruin any more of your life. I know you're hurting, I know your heart is broken, but I also know that all the pain you feel does not come from me or us. You have never been emotionally involved with our marriage. I accepted that a long time ago, but I can't let you continue on the way you have been. This needs to end Brian."

She smiled at him and squeezed his hands to let him know she was there for him. She left the table to give him time to think and went back into the bedroom to begin to pack her things. She loved him yes, but as a best friend, someone to take care of her and to confine in. She just couldn't let herself stick around to watch the demons that were terrorizing her husband overtake him.