- Text Size +
The hours seemed to drag on for Brian as he sat in Elly’s room waiting on the doctor coming back with the results. The one thing that he was thankful for was that Elly had finally been able to sleep.

As he sat in the hospital room he could still hear the doctor’s words from before echoing in his head. All the through the night, he couldn’t sleep a wink as the words continued to go round and round. Leukemia? How could his little girl have that disease? He couldn’t go through this on his own. With shaky legs he stood up, kissed Elly on the forehead and went to the pay phones and dialed the number that he knew he could always find comfort in.

“Mom?” he cried as soon as he heard her answer.

“What’s wrong honey?” his mom asked, panic taking over her body.

“I’m at the hospital. Can you come here?” he asked.

“Why are you there?” Jackie asked.

“The doctor told me to bring Elly here for tests last night. I’ve been here all night with her. They are testing her for leukemia.”

As soon as Brian said the words, Jackie could feel her heart ache. Her only grandchild could have leukemia, it didn’t seem real.

“Your dad and I are on our way,” she replied.

Brian hung up and knew he had to make another phone call before he went back to Elly’s room.

“Hello?” came the soft voice.

“Hey it’s me. Can you come to the hospital? Elly’s been admitted to the hospital. They think she has leukaemia,” Brian cried. The words just tumbled from his mouth.

“I’m on my way,” Claire said.

Brian slowly made his way back to Elly’s room. He had no idea how he managed to make it back to her room as his legs felt like jelly. He was glad to see that Elly was still asleep when he made it back to her room.

Each minute that passed by, seemed like it was an hour. Brian turned to Elly and watched her sleep. He was so scared right then as his world was falling around him. He had never loved anyone as much as he loved his daughter. She was everything to him.

He was so wrapped up in his own thoughts that he didn’t see his mom and dad enter the room.

“How is she?” his mom asked quietly resting her hand over his that was holding Elly’s hand tight.

As soon as he looked up at his mom, he started to cry. Jackie pulled him to her like she had done so many times when he was younger. This was one time though that she knew she would not be able to kiss away his pain like she had so many times when he had come running into the house with a banged knee.

“I’m so scared Mom,” Brian cried as he held onto his mom like his life depended on it.

“I know sweetheart but we will get through this together,” she said smoothing his hair. “You should have called us as soon as you got here.”


Five hours later and there was no sign of the doctor returning with the results of any of Elly’s tests. Claire had arrived shortly after Jackie and Harold had. Brian had hardly spoken anything to anyone, he just continued to sit by Elly.

The door to the room slowly opened and Brian’s head immediately shot up, only to turn away again when he seen his brother walk through the door.

“Hey little bro,” Harold greeted, disappointed when he got no response from him.

Harold turned to his parents who smiled weakly at him. He pulled up a chair and sat down.

“Has anyone called Rachel?” he asked.

Brian’s head shot up straight away and he glared at his brother.

“Why the hell would she get called?” he snapped.

“I just thought,” Harold started.

“She’s not bothered with Elly for the last year. She won’t care whether Elly is sick,” Brian spat.

Before Harold could respond, the door opened and the doctor walked in.

“Mr Littrell, we have the results of your daughter’s tests.”